Getting an iPad?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

Agree.

Maybe ATT will finally enable tethering so that iPhone could serve as iPad's internet connection?

I'm actually hoping some kind of announcement like this precedes the launch. Its really going to be underwhelming when this thing rolls out onto the WiFi only market, for an entire month, then launches the model that all Fanbois will buy, myself included.
  • Reply 22 of 59
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Ok, let's break this down then. 1) I agree, this device, no matter how you spin it, should work a little harder than the iPhone. 2) Why do you need Mail and Safari on the same screen at the same time? It makes both less efficient to use. Mail and Safari also run in the background (this is another phrase for, "Multitasking"), so if you need to see and focus on either, they are literally two taps away. So it can already do the first thing you want. Not even going to mention web-based email clients which can easily stay open while you go to a new page, and again, be only two taps away.

3) Pandora seems to be the only thing people can think of to bring up since July 2008 in regard to why multitasking is needed. I've never used the App. I understand it to be internet radio. Music. Talk, whatever you prefer. I have this App called iPod that takes care of all of that for me and, you guessed it, works in the background (This is called multitasking).

Oh, I also have this app called Flycast. Strangely, this is an internet radio app that gives Music, Talk, whatever you prefer........ it also has a built in Web Browser, and a way to redirect your stream into Quicktime for, you guessed it, Background play. If Pandora were aware of these possibilities, maybe they could offer something thats more than just radio.

What if you're working on a document in pages or keynote and need some info off the web?

It would be nice to have safari and keynote open at the same time.

The Pre has got multi-tasking on a mobile device right IMO. Apple should implement a similar way of doing this on the iPad. Multi-tasking is more important on the iPad than the Pre or iPhone as the iPad is more of a content creator than the Pre or iPhone.
  • Reply 23 of 59
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

What if you're working on a document in pages or keynote and need some info off the web?

It would be nice to have safari and keynote open at the same time.

The Pre has got multi-tasking on a mobile device right IMO. Apple should implement a similar way of doing this on the iPad. Multi-tasking is more important on the iPad than the Pre or iPhone as the iPad is more of a content creator than the Pre or iPhone.

Great example. Maybe they don't need to share screen-estate, but I hope that a future update brings us a expose-like ability to keep a couple of programs open and move between them.
  • Reply 24 of 59
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

Agree.

Maybe ATT will finally enable tethering so that iPhone could serve as iPad's internet connection?

that would be nice, but don't hold your breath. In the meantime, I'm happily tethering (netbook) with my iPhone and this is the primary reason why I would not buy the 3g version. My iPhone can be the 3g access point and share it with an iPad or other device.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    AppleInsider and 9to5 Mac are reporting that Apple's demo video shows the iPad has Flash, but maybe not.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...h_support.html

http://9to5mac.com/apple-flash-ipad-3954934055

Perhaps it's coming, but Adobe is also balking that Apple's iPhone & iPad don't have it... Hmmm..,
  • Reply 26 of 59
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Do you plan on buying an iPad?

In case you need more info on the iPad:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/

I have no use for the iPad. But my wife has a HP Mini netbook. All she does is surf the web and update her Facebook and stuff like that. She saves nothing on the hard drive at all. She wanted me to get her a Kindle DX but now the iPad will combine BOTH devices. I will get her the basic $499 iPad and she will be happy.

I played the SJ demo on the Apple website and she is excited and can't wait til March/April when it comes out.....
  • Reply 27 of 59
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I have no use for the iPad. But my wife has a HP Mini netbook. All she does is surf the web and update her Facebook and stuff like that. She saves nothing on the hard drive at all. She wanted me to get her a Kindle DX but now the iPad will combine BOTH devices. I will get her the basic $499 iPad and she will be happy.

I played the SJ demo on the Apple website and she is excited and can't wait til March/April when it comes out.....

you pretty much summed up the target market for this device. This is going to sell like hotcakes to this demographic, students and grandmas. I'm definitely getting one for development, but I think I"ll like it a lot for personal use. It's a niche thing and i want it on the couch.
  • Reply 28 of 59
    On the couch or on the bed just before going to sleep, it will be great. The iPhone and iPod touch are nice, but any will prefer something with more real estate for more casual, relaxed viewing. With the addition of iWork, you can also get something done without the bulk and weight of a notebook. Book fanatics (several hours no-stop) will still go Kindle, but lighter readers will love the iPad. I'm hoping books and mags come to Japan real soon.
  • Reply 29 of 59
    Nobody's gone for the 32GB WiFi & 3G yet... maybe too middle of the road for this crowd?
  • Reply 30 of 59
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

Build up reminded me of Y2K hype. If I need another tablet, would probably look at Lenovo U1 announced at CES.

The Lenova U1 is said to be starting at $1000. It clearly doesn't have the 140k apps and infrastructure to match the Apple ecosystem. Briliant design though

Quote:

Nobody's gone for the 32GB WiFi & 3G yet... maybe too middle of the road for this crowd?

I'll probably shoot for a 32GB Wifi+3G. I think Apple's going to make it easy for me to store my much of my favorite music online using Lala technology.

The real killer app here is the screen. Most road warriors I know merely accept that small smartphone screens yield the most portability but in dealing with email, calendars and other apps we use on a daily basis the need to see more information at a glance is very important. I really can't use my Touch to submit expense reports or time comfortably. The iPad will finally let me do this on the road.

I don't see it being a failure at all. My monthly mileage expenses almost exceed the price of the entry level iPad.

We're not going to find a laptop that competes with the iPad along display, performance and weight metrics.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    Though not a road warrior, I do like to move around and change location to help the creative mood. It isn't always easy to run in to a coffee shop and whip open my MBA, nor is it always sufficient to pull out my iPhone. The iPad will be both very easy to whip out when creativity strikes and up to the task.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    Quote:

Still no votes for it...

The 499 model is looking good... hope they'll have enough stock so I can get mine soon!
  • Reply 33 of 59
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    An extra $100 gets you another 32GB, that what got me to consider 64GB over 32GB. Plus, I'll be keeping it for the next 3 years.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    64GB WiFi here. I think the 3G would be tempting if I traveled more, but as it is, WiFi should be fine. I also thought I would go for the cheapest model and see just how much I use it, but when I saw the apps demoed in the keynote I knew I'd want the extra room.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    Cool!
  • Reply 36 of 59
    Not for myself. A traditional netbook is better suited to my needs. I need multitasking, have lots of video the iPad won't play, and require the capacity of a mechanical hard drive.

For my mother, however... a 16GB 3G iPad would be great. She needs an *appliance* for web surfing and emailing, and cannot get broadband where she lives (no 3G, either, but EDGE should work). The $15/month plan would replace her dial-up with something a lot more reliable, if not faster, for the same price. And I would never have to fix her computer again.

I'd wait for refurbished iPads to appear before buying anything, though.
  • Reply 37 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Please describe a scenario in which you would typically find yourself concerned over "multi-tasking."

Absolutely. Do anything productive or play a turn-based game, and have a chat app open at the same time.
  • Reply 38 of 59
    I already have a MacBook so I will be fine with an iPad with 64 GB Wifi
  • Reply 39 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Absolutely. Do anything productive or play a turn-based game, and have a chat app open at the same time.

I would multitask by playing music at the same time doing something productive.
  • Reply 40 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RussellSakay View Post

I would multitask by playing music at the same time doing something productive.

You can listen to music and use another app.