Steve Jobs: iPad to offer Word support, $10 eBooks, 6 days of music

Comments

• Reply 41 of 159
    Nobody will read for 10 hours straight? Tell that to all the Harry Potter fans that marathon-read each book as it was published.

And 10 hours will quickly become 5 after a year or two, if my experience with iPods is anything close to what will happen with the iPad.
  • Reply 42 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

You didn't know iWork exports Word Excel and PowerPoint?

Really?

Keynote has quickly become one of my favorite apps ever. Having to do design presentations in powerpoint sucks as it is, but with keynote I get a much great range of control, positioning and functionality, it is seriously a pleasure to work in after using powerpoint for years. Anyone that says they like powerpoint is full of it, end of story.
  • Reply 43 of 159
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Exactly, these people buy the hardware > that runs the software > that runs the files everyone else uses > because their income depends upon it.

Question is of course if Steve will allow Excel on the iPad as it's in competition with iWork.

Then again Steve does sell Excel with new Mac's pre-installed.

But I don't think he will allow the free OpenOffice on the App Store though.

I only use a spreadsheet rarely, no use spending even $10 for one and have to pay for upgrades too.

Almost nobody uses OpenOffice. I have it on my Mac, and it really sucks. I use Office much more happily when I need that. iWork for simpler stuff, and CS4 for really complex work.

Openoffice has under 1% of the office market. It's not something people consider, even though it's free.
  • Reply 44 of 159
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shamino View Post

Nobody will read for 10 hours straight? Tell that to all the Harry Potter fans that marathon-read each book as it was published.

And 10 hours will quickly become 5 after a year or two, if my experience with iPods is anything close to what will happen with the iPad.

But will they read for 10 hours straight on a train, or will they be on a sofa near to a power socket?
  • Reply 45 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It depends on why you're buying it. For most people the 140,000 apps will be enough of a reason, as will their music, Tv shows, books, magazines etc.

If you need something that not in the App Store yet, then wait.

I'm willing to bet that we're going to see some tremendous software for this, as well as adapters for printers, scanners and other stuff.

This will be the $500 computer that Apple said they couldn't make. And it may get a bit cheaper next year.

The OP is looking if Microsoft Word will run on the iPad, he might need it for his job. We all know formatting doesn't move over smoothly from different programs and he might have to save as a Word for others to use. Also he might need to save files to disk or USB key, both the iPad doesn't have.

Word isn't available on the iPad, it could take Microsoft years to come out with a version if ever.

Telling him to buy a iPad and wait for a Word App is bad advice, it's best he get a Mac Mini and the OfficeMac suit.

Later if the iPad better suits his needs he can get one.

Try reading the OP first please, thank you!
  • Reply 46 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrbofus View Post

"The iPad has a 9.7-inch LCD display that features IPS technology. The Hitachi-developed feature allows improved viewing angles and superior color reproductions on screens."

You also fail to mention that IPS uses a LOT more power than other LCD options.

Not really. LCD screens use very little power, even IPS. Passive matrix LCd's use less power, but no one uses them for serious displays. Most of the power is in the backlight.
  • Reply 47 of 159
    Quote:

Not really. LCD screens use very little power, even IPS. Passive matrix LCd's use less power, but no one uses them for serious displays. Most of the power is in the backlight.

The Nexus One has a handy app showing where you battery juice is leaking from. The screen takes over 50% of available power in all the screenshots I have seen of this.

Bearing in mind that the phone is sitting there with a network connection constantly polling the net for phone calls and emails, and all these background apps that I keep hearing about I expect the percentage of power use by the iPad to be much greater, as the underlying chippery will be much the same, be in use less (no phone mast polling) and the screen is what, 6 times the size? Wouldn't surprise me if the screen is zapping 80%+ of available juice. Whether it's the screen, the capacitive elements, or the backlit LED is irrelevant.
  • Reply 48 of 159
    Quote:

Yes for major work it's best to go with a Excel machine as the formatting has issues transferring over and Microsoft can upset the apple cart before Apple has a chance to create a work around.

But for basic stuff it can be transferred over and tweaked, just like OpenOffice can also do Excel files.

Yeah. This device will be something business people will love, with the right software. The Air has been a hit with business travelers because of its size and weight. A subset of an Excel sheet for a business trip would be what this is great for. No one takes full Excel

sheets on a sales trip. Pages is also perfect for the notes needed on trips.

We'll see all of the business software that's been written for the iPhone, and it's a lot, brought over to this in expanded form. Even without a physical keyboard it will suffice. And several attendees said that typing on this was fine for the needs people will have. If needed, the keyboard dock, or other BT keyboard could be thrown into the briefcase along with this.
  • Reply 49 of 159
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shamino View Post

I'd think 10 hours of watching video means that you could get at least 50% more out of using it as an eReader. Sure, the display is on and lit but you aren't processing data constantly, just adding a page flip transition every 60 seconds.

Quote:

Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music

I have to assume that listening to music via headphones with the display off will be well above 10 hours, too. /sarcasm
  • Reply 49 of 159
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swtchdtomak View Post

"Our chips don't use hardly any power."

Means it uses a lot of power.

Stevo needs to improve his english.

No, that's what he meant. Apple chips are made from experience of the chip company they bought. All power that is used is probably in memory, display and the radios.
  • Reply 51 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have to assume that listening to music via headphones with the display off will be well above 10 hours, too.

Agreed, say about 6 days?
  • Reply 52 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

As an accountant and I am sure for millions of other business people- no Excel app - 100%, NO deal.

I assumed you are not familiarized with iWork. Same you can import & export Word with Pages you can do with Excel using Numbers and with PowerPoint using Keynote. When I first got my Mac I bought Office for Mac, then I decide to give iWork a try, guess what, I love it so much that now I only use iWork. I think is an excellent app for the tablet.

To learn more about iWork compatibility visit http://images.apple.com/iwork/compatibility/
  • Reply 53 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

But will they read for 10 hours straight on a train, or will they be on a sofa near to a power socket?

I read a lot and I can say i've never read for 10 hours straight, the most I have probably ever read straight is 4 or 5 hours, try it sometime it's not as 'easy' as you think
  • Reply 54 of 159
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"You know, there isn't," Jobs said. "Because you just end up plugging it in. You end up docking it or whatever you're going to do with it. It's not a big deal. Ten hours is a long time. Because you're not going to read for 10 hours."

People do read for 10 hours, but not on a glossy Apple-produced screen.

I read on my (non-glossy) iMac G5 for 10 hours at a time with no eyestrain problems.
  • Reply 55 of 159
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    iWork = MS Office

iWork for iPad = $30

iWork > MS Office

No need for MS Office
  • Reply 56 of 159
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swtchdtomak View Post

"Our chips don't use hardly any power."

Means it uses a lot of power.

Stevo needs to improve his english.

Steve meant to say "It don't NOT use hardly any power."
  • Reply 57 of 159
    Quote:

...Openoffice has under 1% of the office market. It's not something people consider, even though it's free.

OpenOffice is fine enough for some and the reason it's not used in offices a lot is because the formatting from other programs like Office doesn't transfer over between programs a well as it should.

A highly complex Excel spreadsheet for example won't look the same on OpenOffice or Numbers, it will have to be tweaked. Then there is the schools who train people to use Office and that whole cycle.

So the OP is looking for Word on the iPad, it's not available yet. Don't get one until it does.

However a Mac Mini does have OfficeMac available for it and would make a better transition device to the Apple side than a iPad with it's limitations will.

Hate to see a switcher get bummed out on their first Apple product purchase because they got wrong advice now right?

Ahh...
  • Reply 58 of 159
    Quote:

Question is of course if Steve will allow Excel on the iPad as it's in competition with iWork.

Then again Steve does sell Excel with new Mac's pre-installed.

But I don't think he will allow the free OpenOffice on the App Store though.

He will if he doesn't want an anti-trust lawsuit on his hands. I can't see Apple being stupid enough to stop anyone else developing and selling any office application for the iPad. Given what's happened to Microsoft with Explorer, the precedent is set that it would invoke the wrath of the authorities.

Furthermore, why would he want to stop it? If Excel came out for the iPad, it would likely encourage more people to buy the iPad, which will generate a lot more revenue for Apple than a $10 copy of an iWork app.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

That's exactly the point. I know I'll get lots of people jumping on this comment because they personally have examples where it's not true, but I'm hardly every away from a power outlet for longer than 8 hours. Even when I am, like when I fly long haul, the iPad lasting 10 hours would be more than enough. My Arcos only lasts 6 hours and it never runs out on a 12 hour flight, because I do stuff other than just watch the Arcos.
  • Reply 59 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

I read a lot and I can say i've never read for 10 hours straight, the most I have probably ever read straight is 4 or 5 hours, try it sometime it's not as 'easy' as you think

Agreed, I was more commenting on the fact that if you want to read for 10 hours, chances are you will be somewhere nice and comfy near a power socket and will be limited more by your eating/drinking/shitting requirements, than by the battery...
  • Reply 60 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You have answered your own question. Compatibility is mainly an illusion, even between versions of Word on the same platform.

The only compatibility problem I have ever run into was when I used the Mac version of Word and sent it to someone on a PC. Since switching to Pages and exporting, I have had not a single problem and my documents are typically 30-50 pages in length with imbedded images, graphs, etc. Same with Keynote...no issues at all and as an instructor, I use it very often!

However, I will say that I don't use any funky fonts. I stick with the "typical" fonts (Times, Ariel, Courier, Lucida, etc). If you're going to start using the less common fonts I would think your chances for universal compatibility begin to decrease.