Steve Jobs: iPad to offer Word support, $10 eBooks, 6 days of music

Comments

• Reply 81 of 159
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Sorry Steve, I have over 25 days of continuous music, which would leave me little room for anything else on the iPad "thing".

Then I have to pay for iWork, when I already have OpenOffice.

So we see what's going on, your locking the machine down so you can sell your programs.

Will you allow a version of the free Open Office to appear on the App Store?

[CENTER]Of Course Not...

And given your list of 'requirements', the only reasonable conclusion one can draw is that this device simply is not for you.

See How Easy That Was?[/CENTER]
  • Reply 82 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]Of Course Not...

And given your list of 'requirements', the only reasonable conclusion one can draw is that this device simply is not for you.

See How Easy That Was?[/CENTER]

Well it's obvious Apple's "cloud" is going to come into play later on once the plant in NC is built to make up for the shortfall of storage on the iPad.

Also a lot of Apple's programs will run off the cloud as well.
  • Reply 83 of 159
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

iWork = MS Office

iWork for iPad = $30

iWork > MS Office

No need for MS Office

[CENTER]

I understand your reasoning, but...

MS Office is far more than just three productivity apps, it's an complete productivity/office environment, and as much as I enjoy using iWork on my MBP, when taken in their entirety, iWork < MS Office.

As it applies to the iPad, iWork Touch Edition will serve most users well enough.[/CENTER]
  • Reply 84 of 159
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But in a couple of years, it may be different. Considering that you can do the app store very well on this, as well as on almost any other computer, you may not have to sync it to a computer at all. If, and right now, it's a big if, the adapters that Apple has for this will allow a small USB drive, then back-ups are possible without using the "cloud". Or, if Apple gets Mobileme working the way it would be useful for people with this, then that could be used. but, right now, I'm not thrilled about cloud storage of sensitive information. Maybe in the future.

I think another shoe is soon to drop. With Apple's marketing acumen, I think they'll announce cloud syncing sometime just before or soon after the iPad is available, especially if they think interest in the iPad is flagging. Cloud syncing will be part of an improved MobileMe, and would include backups.

Can someone who lives in NC check how far along Apple is with the construction of the data center?
  • Reply 85 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Jobs seemed to be getting pretty annoyed with Mossberg towards the end with his jabs about how Word dominates editing. When only 5-10% of the machines in the world can the world can run Pages, you can't expect otherwise.

I have personally found Pages compatibility to be quite poor and the overall program to be quite sluggish. There are other alternatives that will be based on products like OpenOffice such as QuickOffice for iphone, Documents to Go, QuickWord and they'll run on the iPad.

Concerning battery life, I tend to agree with what Jobs said that if the machine lasts enough for a working day (24 hours - 8 for sleep - 1 for washing/toilet - 2 for meals = 13 hours tops) then it's no big deal. The only time that would become a big deal is if you took it on a camping holiday or somewhere it's hard to find a charging point. But again, the reason you go on holiday is to get away from it all so not a huge problem.

Nah he wasn't annoyed, he was pulling a Larry David look. Anybody know what the battery life will be for 3G? Will it be different than 3g voice or does it matter. My 1st gen iPhone gets better battery life than my girlfriends 3gs and she has wifi, bluetooth and notifications off and I have all of it on and I get a whole day out of it where she gets half a day before it dies. Will this issue be apparent for a 3g iPad? Anybody know? Anybody?.... Bueller??
  • Reply 86 of 159
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They are both office suites but they are from equating to each other in usage needs and there is no way that iWork is "greater than" MS Office for the vast majority of people. Even for Office for Mac pales in comparison to Office for Windows when it comes to shear number of apps and complexity of apps. Just like Windows, Office has its place, especially in the Enterprise, and is far from being unseated by a consumer-based option.

I'd say for a majority of users iWork is an equivalent to MS Office.

And for the minority, most are just using features because they're there, not because they offer a better design perspective.
  • Reply 87 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

If your sharing with others and they require to edit it, like at work, it's best to use the same machine and software version they are using. So everyone see's and can work on the same thing.

If your getting files from others and not sending them out, you can chose what you want depending how complex the files are and if they can be imported or not. If your willing to tweak things or not. Usually spreadsheets and word documents come over with little disturbance, the others is less so.

If your sending stuff out highly formatted, it's best to use the what everyone else uses or PDF it and nobody can edit it.

If you PDF it, then you can use what you want. They are not going to be able to change it anyway.

Not true at all in my experience. I just submitted a highly formatted 49 page paper to a scientific journal that 9 of us were working on around the world. I know that there were people using Pages (including myself), Word for OSX and Word for Windows (on several different versions) and we never once ran into an issue with editing and having everyone be able to read it and make additional edits. Track changes worked and formatting stayed the same.

Once again, as long as you're not using funky fonts, then there shouldn't be an issue.
  • Reply 88 of 159
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

As an accountant and I am sure for millions of other business people- no Excel app - 100%, NO deal.

Whaaaa!

Microsoft won't create an Excel app for this platform, it would kill their Microsoft Tablet Edition hopes.

Deal with Numbers, which will import/export to Excel, or wait for the inevitable OpenOffice port late this year.
  • Reply 89 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

This surprises anyone? Pages users already know that it saves as Word documents. It always has.

Yes, my thoughts exactly.
  • Reply 90 of 159
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shamino View Post

Nobody will read for 10 hours straight? Tell that to all the Harry Potter fans that marathon-read each book as it was published.

And 10 hours will quickly become 5 after a year or two, if my experience with iPods is anything close to what will happen with the iPad.

The iPad uses the 80% charge after 1000 cycle batteries, like the MacBook Pros.

So 8 hours after three years. I guess most people will be itching for the quad-core 2GHz A20 CPU based 4GB RAM/512GB storage iPad that Apple will be offering by then!
  • Reply 91 of 159
    1 new iPad feature EVERYONE missed is the "Terrain" option on Maps... Watch the Jobs intro video and you can see it.
  • Reply 92 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

This surprises anyone? Pages users already know that it saves as Word documents. It always has.

Not exactly true. Pages does not SAVE in word format. It exports to Word Format using third party translators built into the software. Thus it is not 100 percent compatible. I use both Office and Pages and I can verify this. If you are in business the last thing you want to do is have a program that MIGHT be able to display the document the same way it looks in Word without formatting issues. This is why Microsoft Office on the Mac is Still needed. It uses the same file formats as it's windows counterparts. Pages, by nature approaches layouts in a different way altogether, thus in very nature is different from Word. It's documents must be translated and that sometimes leads to formatting errors. On a very simple document there aren't issues but on a complex one there are too many issues. If compatibility is an issue and in the business world it is, then Pages is not a substitute. (neither is Open Office etc...). For the casual home user it may be, but not for the business world.
  • Reply 93 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

iWork = MS Office

iWork for iPad = $30

iWork > MS Office

No need for MS Office

In order for iWork=MS Office, it would have to have 100 percent compatibility. It DOES NOT. Almost every .doc file I open in Pages contains some formatting error. Yet is will open the document but I don't want to work on an important document or even something like a resume and guess and hope that it will open and look the same in Word. My experience has shown otherwise. The reason is that iWork does not SAVE in Word format. It EXPORTS the file to word format (or powerpoint, or excel) using third party translators built into the program. These translators as not 100 percent compatible. Excel is even worse and forget powerpoint. IF you want and need compatibility (100 percent), then you must use Office. I have both iWork and Office and they are not completely compatible. Therefore, until there is a 100 percent substitute or until businesses adopt another standard, I invest in Office for the Mac.

Also iWork DOES NOT support the latest file formats for Office period. It won't even open .docx files or the latest ppt, or excel files from the latest versions of Mac and PC. This is NOT a substitute. I'm glad it works for you but for businesses iWork being substituted for Office is a JOKE. Please note, I like using iWork for somethings but unless Apple pays licensing fee's to Microsoft for IT'S file translators, it will NEVER be competition for it.
  • Reply 94 of 159
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

1 new iPad feature EVERYONE missed is the "Terrain" option on Maps... Watch the Jobs intro video and you can see it.

22min:45sec into Podcast.

He's also using a smokey-black 30-pn cable. Any chance that will be included over the non-businessy white cable?
  • Reply 95 of 159
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

As an accountant and I am sure for millions of other business people- no Excel app - 100%, NO deal.

AFAIK, Numbers is already compatible with Excel, at least it is on my iMac.
  • Reply 96 of 159
    I blooming well hope so....if it doesnt then one more iFAIL.
  • Reply 97 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

I would buy iPad if there was a Microsoft Word app. Though others may disagree, i am very tempted to fulfill the role of Desktop computer with iPad. My current Dell from 2003 belongs in a Housing Works or Salvation Army.

the iPad's iWork opens and saves Word and Excel files, it's not a problem.

Even QuickOffice on iPhone does that
  • Reply 98 of 159
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post

In order for iWork=MS Office, it would have to have 100 percent compatibility. It DOES NOT. Almost every .doc file I open in Pages contains some formatting error. Yet is will open the document but I don't want to work on an important document or even something like a resume and guess and hope that it will open and look the same in Word.

I work with both Word and Pages all day long and translate files back and forth for people and this is just not true. You are exaggerating very strongly here. There are some minor formatting changes on some documents, mostly because Word doesn't do formatting in any kind of rational way.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post

Also iWork DOES NOT support the latest file formats for Office period. It won't even open .docx files or the latest ppt, or excel files from the latest versions of Mac and PC. ...

This is also 100% FALSE ( to use your silly caps).

Not only does Pages open docx files, it was the first program to provide that support anywhere, and had it before the previous version of Office itself had it.

Not only that, but on the Mac, TexEdit (the Mac equivalent of NotePad), could also open docx files, also before the version of Office could.
  • Reply 99 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KristenM View Post

The only compatibility problem I have ever run into was when I used the Mac version of Word and sent it to someone on a PC. Since switching to Pages and exporting, I have had not a single problem and my documents are typically 30-50 pages in length with imbedded images, graphs, etc. Same with Keynote...no issues at all and as an instructor, I use it very often!

However, I will say that I don't use any funky fonts. I stick with the "typical" fonts (Times, Ariel, Courier, Lucida, etc). If you're going to start using the less common fonts I would think your chances for universal compatibility begin to decrease.

I didn't buy a computer to use the same, boring fonts we see in 99% of documents -- not even my first Mac 25 years ago. Seems this quest for "compatibility" has destroyed one of the computer's best features, the ability to create unique, attractive documents. I just print everything to PDF, then I can use whatever fonts I prefer.
  • Reply 100 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They are both office suites but they are from equating to each other in usage needs and there is no way that iWork is "greater than" MS Office for the vast majority of people. Even for Office for Mac pales in comparison to Office for Windows when it comes to shear number of apps and complexity of apps. Just like Windows, Office has its place, especially in the Enterprise, and is far from being unseated by a consumer-based option.

The vast majority of people barely know how to use Word, let alone its plethora of features. Most people could actually benefit from a word processor with key features implemented well, instead of one that crams in a great many, poorly implemented features.