Amazon has sold 'millions' of Kindles, overall sales increase 42%

24567

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 128
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Bezos is trying to one up Jobs.

    That's all this is ... plain and simple.
  • Reply 22 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    The Kindle isn't going anywhere because it makes for a far better ereader then the iPad. Try reading an entire ebook on an LED screen without killing your eyes



    I use a crappier LCD screen for 8 hours a day at work ...
  • Reply 23 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post


    I use a crappier LCD screen for 8 hours a day at work ...



    But your not sitting there reading print for hours at a time. Its also interesting how the Apple extremists have really downgraded this iPad without even knowing they are doing it.



    Last week everyone was talking about how "Slate" computing was going to now take over the world and notebooks were going to be doomed and "Slate" computing is the future for everyone.



    Now the same fanboys are happy for it to simply be a possible Kindle killer. What a joke. I should take some time to gather some of the insane statement made here over the last week. I could write my own book with them. I would be a comedy of course.
  • Reply 24 of 128
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    But your not sitting there reading print for hours at a time.



    ...just images referred to as letters. Most of us use your computers for 8+ hours a day for reading, and not much else. The only people that said a tablet would replace a notebook are those that claimed it would run a desktop OS, not the ones logically stating it would need to run an OS designed for a tablet device.
  • Reply 25 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    Millions? So really, how much is "millions"? Are we ever going to see some actual numbers for this one-trick pony?



    These Kindles are about to got the way of the Dodo come April.





    I love my Kindle. I paid 259 bucks for it and it includes LIFETIME FREE 3 g Network coverage that ACTUALLY WORKS unlike ATT "wheres my signal" service for 30 bucks a month. Amazon has tried to keep most book prices at 9.99 and now Apple comes along with JACKED UP prices of 12 - 15 bucks. What is really nice about Kindle that iTampon lacks is that it is designed to be held and read like a book. Imagine trying to lay down on a couch and read the heavy clunky iPad while holding it up. Nobody buys more Apple products in a year then me but I am sorry Kindle wins on this one.
  • Reply 26 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post


    Aside from the sales of Kindle, I'm most impressed with the 6 to 10 ratio for Kindle book sales. I'd never have imagined it would be that high.



    People are morons, if amazon offered a kindle edition for free with every printed book, or at least a few $ more, I d be all over it, but to buy a format tied to bookstore, without the ease to transfer it, and (as with orwell's 1984) have the store revoke your right to read the book at their decision, well that's idiotic. I love books, I have so many, and I am prepared to buy a lot of ebooks, with the provision that they don't implicitly force me to pay twice for the printed copy too.



    Free ebooks with every print copy is the only way for me, unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case, people don't demand more, they get suckered in for less, and whilst you can make digital copies of cds -so there it's a non issue, you cant with print books. That to me is a travesty, I am not prepared to give up my printed library, I love books as items, I don't see why I should pay double to have the privilege to read a book I am going to buy in print on my mobile device too. It costs them close to nothing to have a small ebook download along the print book they sell, are they are depriving the consumer the right to read their books on their mobile devices too, asking them to pay double for this.



    I will never buy an ebook as long as that travesty of a policy is still in place.
  • Reply 27 of 128
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post


    It was really humble of Steve Jobs to give creds to the Kindle. I think anything that Steve gives creds to will sell.



    i think you're confusing him with oprah...
  • Reply 28 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    But your not sitting there reading print for hours at a time. Its also interesting how the Apple extremists have really downgraded this iPad without even knowing they are doing it.



    Last week everyone was talking about how "Slate" computing was going to now take over the world and notebooks were going to be doomed and "Slate" computing is the future for everyone.



    Now the same fanboys are happy for it to simply be a possible Kindle killer. What a joke. I should take some time to gather some of the insane statement made here over the last week. I could write my own book with them. I would be a comedy of course.



    It is hardly just a kindle killer, that's disingenuous to the extreme. As made very clear in the keynote it fills a gap and pretty much displaces netbooks. I have wanted something light for conferences for years, I don't need everything a laptop can do, I should be watching the presentations! Being able to give a presentation, read a couple of papers, keep in touch with work etc and do last minutes edits after previous talks is great. my dell goes in he trash, or back to work IT actually. This thing could be huge in science actually if it could just search through pdf files as well I would buy them for all my team,



    O.
  • Reply 29 of 128
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    It would be nice if Amazon wasn't so cagey with their figures, and it's not just about Kindle. I recall a press release that said they shipped more items one year than the previous year, but they didn't say anything about the revenue, so they could have shipped more of much cheaper items. But that was enough to get them on some news sites regardless, but it was still empty figures.



    They make Apple seem open, the biggest complaint I see about Apple's reports are they don't give sales breakdowns by model, but they do give sales volumes and revenue by category of device.
  • Reply 30 of 128
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    That’s pretty cool. The things I like about Kindle are fewer than the things I don’t, but I’m glad it (and e-books in general) are taking off!



    Now, since those Kindle-version book sales include sales to iPhone/iPod users (the Kindle app), I wonder what proportion of the “Kindle market” is actually Kindle and not Apple? I suspect Apple’s devices are the minority (small screen*) but that will change in 60 days. And Amazon won’t mind a bit!



    * Then again, the bulky Kindle’s screen isn’t even twice the size of the iPhone’s (6” vs. 3.5”), plus people carry a phone with them everywhere. Even a little old iPhone makes an appealing reading device—just like it’s great for reading the web. Just not good enough to replace a paper book! When you have room to carry one...
  • Reply 31 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diamondgeeza View Post


    It is hardly just a kindle killer, that's disingenuous to the extreme. As made very clear in the keynote it fills a gap and pretty much displaces netbooks. I have wanted something light for conferences for years, I don't need everything a laptop can do, I should be watching the presentations! Being able to give a presentation, read a couple of papers, keep in touch with work etc and do last minutes edits after previous talks is great. my dell goes in he trash, or back to work IT actually. This thing could be huge in science actually if it could just search through pdf files as well I would buy them for all my team,



    O.



    I hope you don't plan to multi-task everything you mentioned because the iPad can not multi-task at all. Which is rather interesting given the fact most say Apple is the one that is innovative with their software. In this case the hardware is more then capable of handling multi-tasking its the software thats prevents it.



    I also think for business a front cam would have been nice for video conferencing.





    Also I wasn't implying it was Steve Jobs or Apple that said this product would be the next revolution in computing or that Slate computing would take over notebooks. That credit we have to give the the unrealistic fanboys on this forum.
  • Reply 32 of 128
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post


    i think you're confusing him with oprah...



    haha? yeah maybe?
  • Reply 33 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post


    People are morons, if amazon offered a kindle edition for free with every printed book, or at least a few $ more, I d be all over it, but to buy a format tied to bookstore, without the ease to transfer it, and (as with orwell's 1984) have the store revoke your right to read the book at their decision, well that's idiotic. I love books, I have so many, and I am prepared to buy a lot of ebooks, with the provision that they don't implicitly force me to pay twice for the printed copy too.



    Free ebooks with every print copy is the only way for me, unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case, people don't demand more, they get suckered in for less, and whilst you can make digital copies of cds -so there it's a non issue, you cant with print books. That to me is a travesty, I am not prepared to give up my printed library, I love books as items, I don't see why I should pay double to have the privilege to read a book I am going to buy in print on my mobile device too. It costs them close to nothing to have a small ebook download along the print book they sell, are they are depriving the consumer the right to read their books on their mobile devices too, asking them to pay double for this.



    I will never buy an ebook as long as that travesty of a policy is still in place.



    I'm sorry, that people have a different opinion to you doesn't make them morons. I read a lot as well, I also travel a lot as well, and find Kindle much more handy than taking 4 or 5 print books with me on a business trip.



    The thing is that I don't really care about having a print library as well. I agree with your comments about the 1984 debacle, and Amazon were plain wrong with that, but the rest of it, I'm just happy to be getting what I consider a more convenient format (for my purposes) for less money.
  • Reply 34 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post


    I'm sorry, that people have a different opinion to you doesn't make them morons. I read a lot as well, I also travel a lot as well, and find Kindle much more handy than taking 4 or 5 print books with me on a business trip.



    The thing is that I don't really care about having a print library as well. I agree with your comments about the 1984 debacle, and Amazon were plain wrong with that, but the rest of it, I'm just happy to be getting what I consider a more convenient format (for my purposes) for less money.



    I am happy that you like the convenience of paying marginally less money for an electronic copy of a book. I too would have liked that convenience, so, can you tell me why am I not justified for demanding that I do not pay double the money in order to put the books I buy in a portable reader as well as having my home print library. Why should I pay almost twice the price, and buy the book essentially twice just to be able to scroll through a few pages when I am commuting? Don't print book readers deserve the courtesy of an ebook version, that costs nothing to produce, one they can take about on their mobile reader and read? But of course another catch is amazon are not going with the open epub standard...
  • Reply 35 of 128
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,270member
    I was buying a Kindle until I saw the iPad... a few friends of mine own Kindles and love them - I've heard nothing but good things about the device. As a student, I can't wait for my ebooks to arrive on the iPad. Right now our digital books are provided by Elsevier through Pageburst, but they are super expensive. My ebooks this semester totaled about $1000.



    I look forward to Apple releasing this device - it's perfect for my school needs.
  • Reply 36 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    I hope you don't plan to multi-task everything you mentioned because the iPad can not multi-task at all. Which is rather interesting given the fact most say Apple is the one that is innovative with their software. In this case the hardware is more then capable of handling multi-tasking its the software thats prevents it.



    Come on spare us with the multi tasking already, does every thread here have to go south, and be littered with that belated multi tasking debacle? Does every thread have to go off topic with multi tasking...



    Oh, just realised who posted this...Tecstud wanna be...
  • Reply 37 of 128
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post


    Come on spare us with the multi tasking already, does every thread here have to go south, and be littered with that belated multi tasking debacle? Does every thread have to go off topic with multi tasking...



    Oh, just realised who posted this...Tecstud wanna be...



    I'm hearing it does multi-task, just not third party apps. But regardless, if he's not getting one, why does he care so much? And why the non-stop chatter about a product he supposedly hates.



    I mean, I don't go to Dell rumor sites crying about products I have zero interest in.
  • Reply 38 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post


    Come on spare us with the multi tasking already, does every thread here have to go south, and be littered with that belated multi tasking debacle? Does every thread have to go off topic with multi tasking...



    Oh, just realised who posted this...Tecstud wanna be...



    There wasn't anything in my post was wasn't factual. The fact is people are saying this iPad is going to kill this or overtake that I find that fact very hard to believe given its limitations.



    My reply was in direct response to his post. If you want to talk about going off topic then we shouldn't be talking about the iPad at all in this thread and simply talking about how great the Kindle is doing.
  • Reply 39 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post


    I'm hearing it does multi-task, just not third party apps. But regardless, if he's not getting one, why does he care so much? And why the non-stop chatter about a product he supposedly hates.



    I mean, I don't go to Dell rumor sites crying about a products I have zero interest in.



    Amen. Maybe the following quote might shed some light:



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    I would be a comedy of course.



    Of course you would.
  • Reply 40 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post


    I'm hearing it does multi-task, just not third party apps. But regardless, if he's not getting one, why does he care so much? And why the non-stop chatter about a product he supposedly hates.



    I mean, I don't go to Dell rumor sites crying about products I have zero interest in.



    I never said I wasn't getting one, I was just expecting more from this device. I doubt I will get one when it first comes out like I had hoped because it simply didn't even come close to living up to my expectations. Which I believe most feel the same way.



    I didn't expect this device to have the power and benefits of a Macbook or MBP but I certainly expected it to be more then an oversized iPod Touch.
Sign In or Register to comment.