Amazon has sold 'millions' of Kindles, overall sales increase 42%

13567

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    There wasn't anything in my post was wasn't factual. The fact is people are saying this iPad is going to kill this or overtake that I find that fact very hard to believe given its limitations.



    My reply was in direct response to his post. If you want to talk about going off topic then we shouldn't be talking about the iPad at all in this thread and simply talking about how great the Kindle is doing.



    Does the kindle multi task?



    Hasn't multi touch whining reached everest heights in these forums already?
  • Reply 42 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    I didn't expect this device to have the power and benefits of a Macbook or MBP but I certainly expected it to be more then an oversized iPod Touch.



    It is not an oversized ipod touch, you are misrepresenting the device, it isn't one because

    It has an led ips display

    It has a brand new custom apple chip

    It has a brand new productivity suite customised for it, you can do pages, keynote, numbers, none of these are done on the touch, actually none of the tablets have customised word processing, presentation, and spreadsheet applications.

    It has all major applications overhauled and fitted with a new touch paradigm specifically for this device, be it mail, or contacts, or even maps.

    It has screaming battery life.

    It has a bookstore and specially designed book app.

    It's much faster and more responsive (from what we have seen) than any smart phone/netbook, sorry crapbook/ or similar ebook reader on the market.

    The sdk has just been released for even more potential to be realised.



    I won't bake, do the washing, make coffee, or land on the moon.
  • Reply 43 of 128
    Didn't Amazon actually sell more eBooks during the holiday season than they did in print? Pretty sure I heard that like on Marketplace.



    Also, more eBooks have been DLd to the iPhone and iPod Touch than to any other devices.



    I would suspect that at a starting price of $500, the iPad won't be a Kindle killer, but it will certainly eat into sales of the $490 DX version.
  • Reply 44 of 128
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post


    It is not an oversized ipod touch, you are misrepresenting the device, it isn't one because

    It has an led ips display

    It has a brand new custom apple chip

    It has a brand new productivity suite customised for it, you can do pages, keynote, numbers, none of these are done on the touch, actually none of the tablets have customised word processing, presentation, and spreadsheet applications.

    It has all major applications overhauled and fitted with a new touch paradigm specifically for this device, be it mail, or contacts, or even maps.

    It has screaming battery life.

    It has a bookstore and specially designed book app.

    It's much faster and more responsive (from what we have seen) than any smart phone/netbook, sorry crapbook/ or similar ebook reader on the market.

    The sdk has just been released for even more potential to be realised.



    I won't bake, do the washing, make coffee, or land on the moon.



    How dare you bring those "glass half full" ideals to this thread!!
  • Reply 45 of 128
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    The Kindle isn't going anywhere because it makes for a far better ereader then the iPad. Try reading an entire ebook on an LED screen without killing your eyes





    Exactly.



    The iPad supposedly has the same type of MacBook screen and I set up a MacBook a few times and it's hard on the eyes.



    However, crap has won over better before, just look at Windows, look at VHS, look at cassette tapes.



    Amazon needs more avenues, especially retail outlets, to sell the Kindle. Bookstores won't carry it because it kills their sales. So how is it going to gain market share?



    So eventually the Kindle will die, despite it's head start and better screen. Because Apple has retail locations and a lot of marketing know-how, free press etc.



    Plus the iPad will do other things too. What will limit the iPad is that it needs a computer, so it's for those who already have a computer and just want another toy.
  • Reply 46 of 128
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,223moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post


    Maybe a couple reasons Amazon refuses to give a number.



    a) Sales aren't that good for a product that has had the market for eReaders perceivably to itself for quite some time.



    b) Maybe the notion that the Kindle is selling "millions" is enough to convince someone that it is the default eReader that everyone else owns "so I should too". Which was a fine strategy until the iPad showed up.



    Both are true. Digitimes which has sources close to the Asian manufacturers has the following estimates:



    http://ireaderreview.com/2010/01/24/...via-digitimes/



    3.82 million eReaders shipped in 2009.

    Amazon owned 63.4% market share ? That?s 2.42 million eReaders.



    Very poor sales. This is something like 1/10th the size of the iphone/ipod touch market.



    It's clear there is some market there just like the ATV but It's not really a market worth going for. Adding on extra functionality increases the market but the higher cost takes some of that away.
  • Reply 47 of 128
    I dunno. I continue to holler BS about Kindle and Amazon's claims. As a published author of now five books, with two for a very major publisher, I see royalty statements bi-annually. And a book that has sold nearly 100,000 copies with a grand total of just 13 Kindle sales sure doesn't prove to me that print is dead, nor does it give me any confidence in Amazon's voodoo stats. Out of five books with more than 200,000 sold, I can tell you the total Kindle sales combined has been less than 100. So, all of this hype may be true at the Dan Brown level, but the average author has a very different experience. Right now, Amazon is pumping sunshine out its pie hole.



    I also snicker at the claims of "millions" of Kindles sold, and figure it means slightly more than just 2 million. I think the iPad (no complaints about the perfectly logical name from me) will sink the Kindle and take over as the top e-reader. In fact, I believe lots of folks did what I did and saved their $486 until they saw what Apple had under wraps. I've played with both Kindles, and they both feel and look like something from 1980 to me.



    Like seemingly everybody else, I have my gripes over what got left out of iPad 1.0 (I still think it will eventually morph into the desktop picture phone for grandma and grandpa, along with delivering their newspapers, magazines, and large print Readers Digest condensed books; and while it sits there unused, it's playing those swell photos the kids sent from Disneyland). Once people have it in hand, I think it will become a lifestyle changer. Tech geeks see it as a disappointment. But I can tell you, it will be the first computer-like device I will put in the hands of my 82 year old luddite mother. Apple gets that. The iPod and the iPhone didn't make Apple a brazillion dollars by appealing to tech geeks, they did it by becoming indispensable and changing lifestyles.
  • Reply 48 of 128
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    Millions? So really, how much is "millions"? Are we ever going to see some actual numbers for this one-trick pony?



    These Kindles are about to got the way of the Dodo come April.



    Sorry, I beg to differ. A Kindle cost half as much and has approx 1/3 the weight (you can hold it in one hand). You sound like the Zune brigade when it was released with an added radio and expected to take on the iPod.

    The Kindle is here to stay.
  • Reply 49 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post


    So eventually the Kindle will die, despite it's head start and better screen. Because Apple has retail locations and a lot of marketing know-how, free press etc.



    No you are wrong, the ipad is not solely an ibook reader, it's a multifunction device, you can occasionally read books but I am too bored to tell you (especially) the multitude of functions it hosts . I have had ebook readers long before you ever knew what they were, and I will be buying a plastic logic que for my reading. But I will also buy and ipad, and gift it to family members for the multi purpose device that it is.
  • Reply 50 of 128
    Marvin, just saw your figures after I posted.



    I was being pessimistic to make a point. Looks like the real figures are just as dismal.
  • Reply 51 of 128
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    I never said I wasn't getting one, .



    I think you should get a Kindle..coupons and discounts should be forthcoming....say around the end of March?
  • Reply 52 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post


    Does the kindle multi task?



    Hasn't multi touch whining reached everest heights in these forums already?



    There is a difference because one is a single function ereader and one is a multi function Tablet. We are not talking about two products in the same catagory. A multi function Tablet should be able to multi-task even more so when the hardware can more then handle that function. Even more so when the higher end model is going to cost 829.00 with 3g. A good bit more then a Kiindle.



    A Kindle is a single function device ment to do one thing very well and it serves that purpose. It lives up to its expectation, the iPad did not.



    You mentioned multi touch not sure if you ment to say multi tasking. Most users feel this product fell short and based on two days of trading clearly the market feels the same way seeing Apple stock is dropping like a rock. Not exactly going in the direction of 270. Which I am sorry is off topic but I felt it showed how the product did not meet expectations.
  • Reply 53 of 128
    Well, apple at least put an exact number on it. millions could be one million or ten thousand million
  • Reply 54 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post


    I think you should get a Kindle..coupons and discounts should be forthcoming....say around the end of March?



    Unlikely. However AAPL will be a bargain soon. In fact based on the last two days you should buy some.
  • Reply 55 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post


    Sorry, I beg to differ. A Kindle cost half as much and has approx 1/3 the weight (you can hold it in one hand). You sound like the Zune brigade when it was released with an added radio and expected to take on the iPod.

    The Kindle is here to stay.



    And they say we never change. Our buddy Quadra and his mentor were talking about how this "Slate" was going to change how we all do computing it was going to overtake notebooks and the world was going to use Slate computing.



    Now they are willing to just take a Kindle killer. I keep trying to bet them AAPL will hit 170 now before it hits 270 and while they all talk smack I can't get any of them to take that bet.
  • Reply 56 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    And they say we never change. Our buddy Quadra and his mentor were talking about how this "Slate" was going to change how we all do computing it was going to overtake notebooks and the world was going to use Slate computing.



    Now they are willing to just take a Kindle killer. I keep trying to bet them AAPL will hit 170 now before it hits 270 and while they all talk smack I can't get any of them to take that bet.



    First of all, again you are misrepresenting them, no one of us who eagerly awaited the ipad said it was going to replace or overtake notebooks.



    But hold your horse boys, I hope everyone of us is in good health in six months or so when the ipad booms, and in a year, where it will dominate and bring tablet computing to the fore, selling millions of units.



    I for once, like I said, will buy a dedicated ebook reader for my books, most likely the que (I ve had a couple of devices by irex but after theirs (and amazon's policy) that they don't replace the fragile glass screen the covers eink (an internal glass layer) I ll go with the all plastic (first in class) que), and the ipad to do my couch surfing, stream my music, have light but ultra capable device to travel with, wach videos, show my photos and designs to other people, get my email, enjoy the 100,000 of apps on the app store, listen to music etc. etc.
  • Reply 57 of 128
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    I don't believe for a second that Amazon has sold even a small fraction of the number of e-books that they claim to have sold. I'm going to flat out say that I think they are lying. I think they are hoping it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy, much like the music industry where they pre-announce who they have decided the number one album is going to be and by the next week consumers will make it so.
  • Reply 58 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post


    It is not an oversized ipod touch, you are misrepresenting the device, it isn't one because

    It has an led ips display

    It has a brand new custom apple chip

    It has a brand new productivity suite customised for it, you can do pages, keynote, numbers, none of these are done on the touch, actually none of the tablets have customised word processing, presentation, and spreadsheet applications.

    It has all major applications overhauled and fitted with a new touch paradigm specifically for this device, be it mail, or contacts, or even maps.

    It has screaming battery life.

    It has a bookstore and specially designed book app.

    It's much faster and more responsive (from what we have seen) than any smart phone/netbook, sorry crapbook/ or similar ebook reader on the market.

    The sdk has just been released for even more potential to be realised.



    I won't bake, do the washing, make coffee, or land on the moon.



    Honest question because I not sure of the answer. Is the iWorks available on the Tablet truly a full version? I know its multitouch but I most what I read led me to believe it was not as robust as the full version of iWorks the price of only 9.99 per App would also seem to confirm that.



    The hardware no doubt is a step foward the problem is the OS is lacking. This Tablet could have easily used a version of Snow Leopard instead of the iPhone OS. Which at least in my opinion would have made it far more functional.



    Then again I am not an Apple only users. I am use to Tablets being fully functioning systems which for some reason some Apple only users tend to disagree a Tablet should be running a full OS.
  • Reply 59 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post


    I love my Kindle. I paid 259 bucks for it and it includes LIFETIME FREE 3 g Network coverage that ACTUALLY WORKS unlike ATT "wheres my signal" service for 30 bucks a month. Amazon has tried to keep most book prices at 9.99 and now Apple comes along with JACKED UP prices of 12 - 15 bucks. What is really nice about Kindle that iTampon lacks is that it is designed to be held and read like a book. Imagine trying to lay down on a couch and read the heavy clunky iPad while holding it up. Nobody buys more Apple products in a year then me but I am sorry Kindle wins on this one.



    Just curious when did you manage to try out the iPad?



    What was the iBook software like. How did you find the amazing IPS LCD screens? What was it like being able to read in the dark? - I'm keen to know.
  • Reply 60 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post


    I don't believe for a second that Amazon has sold even a small fraction of the number of e-books that they claim to have sold. I'm going to flat out say that I think they are lying. I think they are hoping it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy, much like the music industry where they pre-announce who they have decided the number one album is going to be and by the next week consumers will make it so.



    Something similar occurred to me. Now I don't think Amazon are lying per se, but Amazon calls the software variants that run on iPhone and PC's 'kindles' - makes you think. He never actually said 'purchase the Kindle Reader hardware device' just Kindles...



    So I don't dispute that millions of people might own Kindles, but I'd bet mostly thanks to the iPhone - and it's probably that 'data' that made Apple decided this was a viable market after all!



    Either way it bodes well for iPad since it clearly demonstrates a market for readers.
Sign In or Register to comment.