Microsoft, Nokia, Nintendo take shots at Apple's iPad debut

Comments

• Reply 81 of 428
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

The future Apple seems to be headed towards is one of the information appliance... think cloud computing and app-focused... where all you have is applications and they manage their own files. No confusing file system exposed to the user.

I like this concept. I was REALLY disappointed at first because being a programmer I don't like anything making my life easier at the sacrifice of not being able to do anything I want. Iphone is different, I really don't care about the restrictions because it is so small I wouldn't think about hacking it. But I look at the iPad as a computer like I look at a notebook.

If I change my perspective to more what you are saying, it becomes more acceptable. Like Steve said in the keynote." ...just go to kitchen where the iPad is and check the movie times... or whatever." Since there is apparently no user profiles and it is to be shared among the family, it needs to be a really simple device that even a child could use. From that perspective, I might buy one.
  • Reply 82 of 428
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Oh and a quick question for those defending the iPad. If Apple ever re-engineered the Mac to only run Apple approved apps from a Mac iTunes store, would you still support Apple?

Serious question. It's the direction Apple are moving in, so it's not impossible to imagine that happening.

This is really pointless drivel. It is like a cop giving you a speeding ticket because you were going to speed based on your rate of acceleration.

However, to answer your question. Maybe. It would all depend on the implementation and if Apple allowed competing programs or not. On one hand a central distribution system would be really handy, but I'd probably still want another means of installing programs. A bonus to a Mac App store would be cheaper (possibly free) OS updates and cheaper hardware if Apple made enough from their cut of software sales.

Something you failed to mention in your statement is that Apple has been loosening restrictions on the app store for a while now, and the iPad SDK apparently allows you to drag and drop files onto a shared drive that shows up on the iPad and mounts on computers. So is Apple really trending in the direction you suggest anyway?
  • Reply 83 of 428
    "Wait they did not have any real smart phones when the iphone came out." Umm... the N95 was out long before the iPhone and to this day, still competes based on specs and even though I have a iPhone 3GS there are still many features that I miss dearly from my N95 such as a 5mp camera, a front facing camera for video chat, a Flash, Adobe flash support and ask Apple where you can get an app like JoikuSpot for your iPhone.

You shouldn't make comments about things you obviously know nothing about. The iPhone is nice but, it certainly was NOT the first smartphone they, just are smart enough to make dumba$$es like you believe their BS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dbossmon View Post

Let the Drama begin....

This is all free publicity.

Nokia mad at the iphone taking a lot of their smartphone shares. Wait they did not have any real smart phones when the iphone came out. So far they have lost all their lawsuits.

Microsoft mad at the iPod and not being able to complete. The Zune wow what was a success.

Nintendo is mad because the iphone/ipod touch games look and run better and cost a lot less their the DS and Gameboy games. So they are mad because they are loosing market shares in the hand held gaming plat form. Hay stop regurgitating Pokemon, well if they do at least update the graphics.

Go Steve...

• Reply 84 of 428
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

Wrong. Apple is pushing open standards, like HTML 5, so that no matter what Operating system you run the web & all it's glory will work for you. People want the web to remain more open, but people are not so keen on their computers being open. What people really want is a computer that will do what they expect it to do & do it well. In fact a lot of people really prefer to be able to buy their apps from one place than trying to hunt all over the place for them.

In addition to this people really like the fact that a closed system helps protect them from malware, a threat that has grown so out of control it has even driven some people to avoid the web all together.

You make the mistake of thinking your personal interests are that of everyone else, something that is clearly not hashed out in real life. Apple has blown away the competition because they are able to see what people really desire & not just what they say they want. Microsoft & others have fallen in large part because they try to promise people more than they can deliver & what they deliver doesn't even perform up to expectations as advertised.

Example:

Take any windows mobile device or even a windows tablet computer & try actually working with the multitouch. It looks so fantastic in the commercials, almost like the computer knows what I'm doing before I do it! Then I get the thing in my hand & it's a different story. stretching images is unreliable, responsiveness is not snappy, accuracy varies wildly, and over all you just get frustrated because you can't figure out how to get it to do what you saw in the commercial!!

Now take the iPhone, iPod Touch, or the iPad. What they demo for you isn't flashy, it's practicality with a nice clean finish. It's responsive & smooth. It's clean & easy. It's accurate & intuitive. It is what it is advertised to be, no surprises except when I find it exceeds what I originally thought it capable of.

The iPad may not do everything possible in the world, but what it does it does very very well! In the end that is what impresses people. No half met promises, no useless glitter that will wear off after only a few hours of use, it just works.

Oh what nonsense. Where are the open standards on the iPad? The thing doesn't even have an industry standard USB connector! So lets say someone comes over with their holiday snaps on a USB stick, or I take some work home on a thumb drive... what next? I'll just plug the USB stick in, drag the files to the desktop... oh hang on...

Or here's another common useage scenario - a non techy person buys an iPad, believing the ads that it's netbook replacement. They go (in the UK) BBC iPlayer, or (in the US) Hulu. Oops, no flash. Two of the most popular sites in the world rendered utterly useless. So they go to Facebook. They see pretty much all their friends playing farmville, poker, and many other facebook apps. They want to play too. Ooops, flash required again!

They give up, and decide to browse some non flash sites, ignoring the giant missing flash plug-in boxes all over the place. They receive an IM from a friend, but oh no, they have to quit Safari just to reply to an IM... That can't be right, can it? They send their message and go back to Safari. Another message comes in, so they quit again, load IM again, and repeat. Pretty soon that gets awfully tiring.

Never mind, their relative in some distant land has sent their Skype ID over so they can have a video chat.. Oops, no Skype on the iPad, no camera either!

Disappointed, the average non-techy user takes the iPad back, and buys a cheap Win7 laptop.

Like it or not, even for very average users the iPad is a dud.
  • Reply 85 of 428
    You know. I was thinking about the limitations of the iPad. How do you store files on it? Why no USB2 port? 64 GB flash memory max?

I was watching the keynote and the demo of iWork. I kept thinking, how did these files that they're playing with get on the iPad? How do you build one of these files from scratch using the iPad? Where are these files stored?

Lots of questions.

But you know what? I started thinking about the first Macintosh, this little box with this little screen and this device for your hand, tethered to the little box. What's with this graphical interface and how do you enter commands and tell it what you want to do?

Although I think the iPad currently has limitations (it can't function as a standalone device without an actual computer to sync with and obtain files from), I see a lot of potential. It will take some time for people to get used to a different way of doing things but eventually, creative minds will develop apps that will fully take advantage of it's features (like what happened with the iPhone/iPod Touch) and we will start to understand this potential.

I see homes with a base computer/server with iPads that can grab files via the server whenever necessary, with few or no local files. When on the road, these same files can be accessed through the Internet via WiFi, 3G, or satellite. That way, you are never away from any of your documents, which are all saved on your home server (with backup of course). As someone else suggested, there is no file directory (and no need for one) as each app would simply access its respective files transparently. You wouldn't click on the file to open the app. You would use the app to access the file. And this would just be the where things start.

Isn't this already happening anyway? Don't we just have to transition to completely thinking in this manner?

I dunno. Just some thoughts?
  • Reply 86 of 428
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Mark Squires, head of social media Nokia, said that Jobs' comments and media coverage of it made his blood pressure rise. Jobs specifically named Nokia, and alleged that Apple's $15.6 billion in revenue last quarter made it bigger than Samsung and Sony as well. Squires post entitled "A Fruit Confused?" was his attempt to "set the record straight."

Squires said that Nokia's devices and services business earned 8.18 billion euros from October to December 2009, while Apple took in 7.25 billion euros from its mobile products.

For the record:

2.758B - revenue from Macbooks

3.391B - revenue from iPods

5.578B - revenue from iPhones (not including deferred)

--------

11.747B in USD; converted to euros = 8.46B > 8.18B

and that's excluding App Store sales, since Apple doesn't split apps/media sold to the iPhone/iPod touch from media (songs/videos) sold to the desktop. Add that in and its 9.3B.

Quote:

"The difference between the two companies is even larger if you use the more common measure: the number of devices sold," Squires wrote. "by that comparison, Nokia has been the largest mobile devices company in the world for a dozen consecutive years."

Let's try another measure that actually makes money for Apple's ecosystem partners: Nokia announced the Ovi store has reached the rate of 1m downloads a day. Apple is downloading just apps at the rate of 10m a day.

Nokia's average selling price for all those phones are 63 euros or 87.33 USD. Apple's average selling price for its mobile devices is 368.37 USD or 265.74 euros. Nokia only sold 4.6m N-series phones this last quarter, after selling 11.4m two years ago. The trend is clear - Apple has moved into the high-end, and Nokia has the low-end.

We've seen that story before - Hey, Mikey, how's Dell doing these days?
  • Reply 87 of 428
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Want to watch a video online? That'll be flash.

Really? Wow! My iPhone must run flash then every time I watch youtube!
  • Reply 88 of 428
    Quote:

The competition are netbooks, and I don't know about you, but I see a lot of those in use on the train everyday.

Hmmm.

Before the iPhone was released, how many people did you see using them on the train? 0?

Now, since its release, how many people on the train do you see using an iPhone?

Before the iPad is released, how many people do you see using them on the train? 0?

Now, jump forward to December 2010; how many people on the train do you see using an iPad?
  • Reply 89 of 428
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft, too, joined the fray this week, when Brandon Watson, director of product management in the developer platform at Microsoft told Technologizer that he found it "humorous" that "Microsoft is much more open than Apple." Watson was referring to the fact that the newly-announced iPad runs the iPhone OS, which can only install third-party applications through the Apple-controlled App Store.

Watson is the sacrificial lamb, pushed out there to make non-sensical statements.

How many 3rd-party apps are available for the Zune HD? How many 3rd-parties have even been allowed to publish?

The App Store has approved over 140000K apps from around 30000k publishers. I'd bet that less than 500 non-copyright-infringing apps have been banned. Sure sounds fairly open to me.
  • Reply 90 of 428
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I know that Nintendo is supposed to put on a straight face, but really?

My little sister bought a Nintendo DS, it's not horrible, but it feels pretty cheap, not very stiff. It's too bad that Nintendo likes to use such tiny buttons. The buttons on the original GBA seem to be the last decent buttons I've seen on a Nintendo controller. I had to mod in a backlight into a GBA because the clamshell successor's buttons just didn't feel good and the reaction time was noticably slower. I could only get to level 9 on Tetris with the SP, regular GBA I could get several levels higher a lot more easily.
  • Reply 91 of 428
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

The iPad is a worrying step in home computing, a move from open platforms to an incredibly closed, restrictive platform. People accept limitations on smart phones because they are tiny and underpowered, but on a laptop/netbook type system, no chance. It's either open or not worth considering for a second.

I totally agree.

And I'm a machead from the earliest Apple IIe days and Typing Tutor.

I created a dungeon maze game on my Commador 64 as a kid. Sprites? remember Sprites?

iPad = creatives run amock and a marketing department that has no females.
  • Reply 92 of 428
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Really? Wow! My iPhone must run flash then every time I watch youtube!

Is that the best you could come up with? Have fun watching any online video that isn't from YouTube on your iPad.
  • Reply 93 of 428
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajneuman View Post

"Wait they did not have any real smart phones when the iphone came out." Umm... the N95 was out long before the iPhone and to this day, still competes based on specs and even though I have a iPhone 3GS there are still many features that I miss dearly from my N95 such as a 5mp camera, a front facing camera for video chat, a Flash, Adobe flash support and ask Apple where you can get an app like JoikuSpot for your iPhone.

You shouldn't make comments about things you obviously know nothing about. The iPhone is nice but, it certainly was NOT the first smartphone they, just are smart enough to make dumba$$es like you believe their BS.

The N95 is barely a smartphone/PDA . My Motorola flip phone did everything that this thing does well not the maps.

Flash support to this phone was added after in 2008 not at the release. Seriously you should do YOUR research.
  • Reply 94 of 428
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by voodooru View Post

not impressed with iPAD version 1 -- but then again, it's just the beginning. it's a step in the right direction.

as the iPOD evolved, hopefully so will the iPAD. One can easily imagine, in the near future, a Macbook loosing the lid, adopting multi-touch, usb/firewire, mini-display.

I really would love an iPAD that I can use the same way as a Macbook. Hard Drive, install software (not to be confused with apps LOL), plug in external drives, etc. -- it will happen, just a matter of when.

That's the genius of it...

Always leave them wanting more...

That is why the word "Pro" was invented...

MacBook

MacBook Pro

iPad

iPad Pro...
  • Reply 95 of 428
    iJealous
  • Reply 96 of 428
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

The TROLLS are out already I see. Completely missing the point as per usual.

right on...

What part of "a new sector" in computing is so hard to understand?

The vast majority of users of these devices (and that includes phones) don't give a hoot about file systems, or hard drives or OSX or any of the other stuff that most of the pundits here are throwing around. The people that will buy this (and that includes me) like the BEAUTY and SIMPLICITY of the iPhone/Touch/soon to be iPad experience. That's all it's about. Oh...and stunningly beautiful and well manufactured hardware too.

Advice for Power users: don't buy the iPad, it's really that simple. Another manufacturer will come along and slap your latest desktop OS on some pretty screen, give you all the ports and slots you want, and you'll be able to stay up late working on it writing your next novel or coding up some Flash.

OMG, if I hear more whining over the "fascist Apple ecosystem" my head will explode. Clearly, if you're that afraid of it then guess what: YOU HAVE A CHOICE AFTER ALL. Don't buy it!
  • Reply 97 of 428
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:

Oh the fanboys are out already I see.

I'd much sooner have a Win7 tablet than the iPad. It may not look at pretty but at least it would be able to multi-task, run flash, use Skype video chat, and install any application I like.

The iPad is a worrying step in home computing, a move from open platforms to an incredibly closed, restrictive platform. People accept limitations on smart phones because they are tiny and underpowered, but on a laptop/netbook type system, no chance. It's either open or not worth considering for a second.

Apple should have just sold it as a Kindle competitor (although not of course outside the US, where Apple will not sell ebooks at all). By going after the netbook market all the do is illustrate how incredibly primative and limited the iPad is. My first computer ever (a Commodore 64) was more open than an iPad.

And is there some reason you can't have your Win 7 tablet?

Bon Apitite, and STFU. Nobody here cares that you want a Windows machine. This is Apple Insider. Go buy all the Windows machines you want, and enjoy.
  • Reply 98 of 428
    Quote:

Is that the best you could come up with? Have fun watching any online video that isn't from YouTube on your iPad.

Wow, the iPad hasn't even been officially released yet. Hold these comments until you know what you're talking about (ie. the damn thing has been released).
  • Reply 99 of 428
    Quote:

If Apple doesn't allow a [sic] app to multi-task ... then that blocks my RIGHT to run what I want ON MY MACHINE.

What a load of rubbish? That's like saying that if Apple doesn't allow me to run three copies of Firefox simultaneously, or does not allow any program at all to overwrite shared kernel memory ... then that blocks my RIGHT to run what I want ON MY MACHINE.

It may be news to you, but when you buy a computer running Windows, MS decide what you can and can't do on it as enforced by the OS. Apple do the same. So do IBM. So do ... fill in the blank. You have no 'right', you have the choice, on ANY computer you use, to do what the manufacturer of the OS allows you to do. That's it. If you don't like that then buy another computer. Or you could write your own OS that allows you, and any other app writer, do anything at all that they choose on your computer as that's 'THEIR RIGHT'.

Sigh.
  • Reply 100 of 428
    Quote:

Oh the fanboys are out already I see.

I'd much sooner have a Win7 tablet than the iPad. It may not look at pretty but at least it would be able to multi-task, run flash, use Skype video chat, and install any application I like.

Well then enjoy your clunky interface. Multi tasking is one update away for iphone OS.

Quote:

The iPad is a worrying step in home computing, a move from open platforms to an incredibly closed, restrictive platform.

I don't understand the whole "closed" argument. There are many many thousands of aps. How is the system closed? Just because Apple wants to approve the AP doesn't really make it closed. JB you're phone and STFU already.

Quote:

By going after the netbook market all the do is illustrate how incredibly primative and limited the iPad is. My first computer ever (a Commodore 64) was more open than an iPad.

Here you are grossly mistaken and using hyperbole. Iphone OS is primitive? you're kidding right? Justify you're thinking. More open than a Commadore. LOL

Quote:

Oh and a quick question for those defending the iPad. If Apple ever re-engineered the Mac to only run Apple approved apps from a Mac iTunes store, would you still support Apple?

Yes, because I would know that the apps will run as expected on a specific device and future development is accelerated as the device features are expended. Kind of like with IE and how MS doesn't encourage their users to upgrade. How can the device ever evolve if legacy software is holding it back. Apple has made the right call here for a number of reasons.

Quote:

Even if that were true in theory, it certainly isn't true in practice. Much of the web depends on flash. Want to watch a video online? That'll be flash. Want to play a game online? That'll be flash. Want to play Farmville? (which if you hadn't noticed, a LOT of people do) That'll be flash.

What the hell is farmville? Look, you are living in a bubble. The market for flash games is pretty insignificant even if you and all of your friends are into it. The vast majority (more than 90%) don't care about flash games. Many of the best flash games from developers like cartoon network are available in iphone App anyway and game developers would probably rather charge a buck or two for their trouble than post a damn game for free.

Further, clinging to flash as a video delivery method is akin to the the world clinging to fossil fuels. If it's inefficient and and comes with too many external costs another methodology has to be explored.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Trojans can come in all sorts of ways, in fact on the App Store right now there are Apps gleaming information and sending it online without your knowledge or consent.

If I don't like apps calling out over the internet, letting god knows who know exactly when, what and where I run a particular app, it's my choice to block that communication.

If Apple doesn't allow a app to multi-task or blocks the snitching app from the App Store, then that blocks my RIGHT to run what I want ON MY MACHINE.

Apple decides what is good for you and you can't decide for yourself.

Is that choice? No it's censorship and control.

Apple has been getting too buddy-buddy with China lately.

implying that Apple is "buddy buddy" with china because they want to censor, control and spy on people? LOL You need to get out more and stay away from conspiracy nuts on the web.

By your logic, if analytics are akin to "spying" then I hope you don't use google, yahoo, or bing. I hope that you don't use a charge cards of any sort, have a social security number or a driver's license.

I also hope that you don't have your own website, because you are effectively "spying" on other people by your reasoning. I hope you've never updated you're computer or reported a software crashes.

There are so may ways to create a profile of you I'd worry less about Apple and more about the IRS.

Logging IP's and other info to find out what computers and browsers people are using or what part of the country they are from isn't spying. In fact web developers would say that in makes their job easier to understand the clients needs. same goes for App Devs.

Come out of the dark brother, because you've turned into a troll.