Best remark about iPad so far...

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
"No surprises."

-Satoru Iwata, CEO, Nintendo

I am not sure whether to like the iPad. On one hand it's just a big iPod Touch. On the other hand, as a big iPod Touch, there are many more things it can do than the iPod Touch.

I'm taking a wait and see attitude toward the device.

But I must say, that I'm bitterly disappointed. Not by the lack of a card-reader, or a usb port, or Feature X or Feature Y or whatever people are expressing discontent with...

But by the lack of anything... unexpected. No touch sensors on the back or sides of the device. No new entry method. No new feedback technology. No new display technology. No new battery technology. No new ANYTHING. 1024x768, iPod OS, ho de hum ho de ho, how generic can you get?

The only "new" thing is the Apple chip, which is nearly an "invisible" advantage, if it's an advantage at all.

Let's hope that at least its Bluetooth implementation allows connection to the Apple wireless keyboard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 102
    Quote:

Let's hope that at least its Bluetooth implementation allows connection to the Apple wireless keyboard.

I hope the iPad itself can be used as a wireless keyboard. I would take "wired" to... might even be better wired anyway -- no batter y issues.

I just don't understand why Apple let it get so hyped. That is why people are so disappointed.. because Apple certainly didn't do anything to stop it from being built up.

How could Jobs let that happen after what happened with the Segway? Mind boggling. Maybe his brain is messed up because of his health issues. That's all I can figure.
  • Reply 2 of 102
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I think Apple/ Steve are very surprised by the bad feedback. I honestly think they thought everybody would love it. I also think secrecy is so in breed in Apple

that they don't know how to stop the frenzy without spilling the beans. I don't have a netbook, don't want one, and I find I use my iPhone for most tasks: e-mail and web surfing. It would be great to use a larger form factor. I can't explain why all those Apple patents for amazing stuff didn't see the light of day but maybe the answer is that the people at Apple are people and not Gods. Even Steve.
  • Reply 3 of 102
    But how can you think a large screen iPhone is revolutionary? Or the "most important thing I've done"?

I mean.. I think everyone sees the potential of the tablet.. and some people realize the true greatness of it is the touch interface and that is what is revolutionary. Apple should have stopped the hype until they were ready to deliver that fully.
  • Reply 4 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArticulatedArm View Post

But how can you think a large screen iPhone is revolutionary? Or the "most important thing I've done"?

I mean.. I think everyone sees the potential of the tablet.. and some people realize the true greatness of it is the touch interface and that is what is revolutionary. Apple should have stopped the hype until they were ready to deliver that fully.

Apple didn't hype it. Everybody does that for them.

I think the iPad is a very interesting device and will really change people's perceptions of portable devices. Most people have a hard time thinking outside the box, though, so until they play with it they won't realize its power.

The first Macs were met with tremendous skepticism: why do I need a mouse? And such. A few years later, everybody had a mouse or two or three.

The iPad will change things that we can't imagine.

Asked my local shop yesterday to get me one as soon as they are available. They already had five pre-orders and Apple's Japan website hadn't been updated for the iPad yet.
  • Reply 5 of 102
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    The trouble with all the "revolutionary" talk was that it was a describing a device that was needlessly complex, just to be cool. Touch sensitive backs and split keyboards and complex, multifinger gestures were never, ever in the cards, because Apple was never going to make a machine that impressed geeks but left the average buyer scratching their heads.

Apple wanted to make a thing that was affordable and dead simple to use. To do so they built on their incredibly successful iPhone OS, which not incidentally allows them to leverage their incredibly successful App Store. From what I've seen, the way the OS takes advantage of the extra and screen capacity is very elegant, hardly just "a big iPod Touch" and likely to grow by leaps and bounds over the next few years. Anyone who didn't think they were going to do this was just not paying attention, IMO.

Geeks will gnash their teeth because the iPad isn't more Star Trek-y. My guess is that the average person will pick one up and experience delight.
  • Reply 6 of 102
    Quote:

complex, multifinger gestures were never, ever in the cards,

I completely disagree with this.. I just think that for whatever reason they are rolling it out much more slowly than I myself had hoped. I think they are teaching people how to use the touch interface without them fully realizing it.. I think we are only seeing a mere inkling of where multitouch and gestures will be before it's all said and done. I wonder what the patent rules are on gestures? I think Apple would benefit from other touch screen makers following their lead and using the same gestures for the same control methods rather than trying to prevent others from using them and having a totally different touch vocabulary.

Quote:

Apple didn't hype it. Everybody does that for them.

They could have easily put a stop to it.. maybe they are delusional and think everything they do is revolutionary?
  • Reply 7 of 102
    The other thing driving a lot of these feelings I think is the overwhelming desire for Apple to make a netbook and make it better than any other one. But they didn't and I think that pisses people off. Like Apple's feelings about Flash perhaps Apple's right, but again people don't care. What your seeing is a fight between two differing ideologies. First, Microsoft/netbooks with the idea that you can scale back the desktop/laptop form factor and still be productive and still use all the same software and operating systems in a small form factor to include tablets. The second one is Apple/iPad/iPhone all touch based and running a modified system software optimized for mobile computing (as Apple sees it). I think for the most part Apple's concept for the iPhone (all touch based) has worked but people are not so sure about the iPad. Time will tell but I think Apple is mostly in the right but I don't think it will be easy to convince the masses.
  • Reply 8 of 102
    Quote:

I completely disagree with this.. I just think that for whatever reason they are rolling it out much more slowly than I myself had hoped. I think they are teaching people how to use the touch interface without them fully realizing it.. I think we are only seeing a mere inkling of where multitouch and gestures will be before it's all said and done. I wonder what the patent rules are on gestures? I think Apple would benefit from other touch screen makers following their lead and using the same gestures for the same control methods rather than trying to prevent others from using them and having a totally different touch vocabulary.

I don't necessarily disagree here, I just don't think Apple was going to spring the Whole New Deal on everybody at one go.

They are looking to change what we think of as "mainstream computing", in a way that isn't hamstrung by the Wintel duopoly. In order to do that, they need mass market success with the first few iterations of this new device, which means nothing too surprising. It's almost as if the iPhone were there to break the ice and get people used to a touch screen......

If the iPad becomes ubiquitous, then they can start offering additional functionality via more complex gestures-- once everyone is comfortable with the general idea.

Quote:

They could have easily put a stop to it.. maybe they are delusional and think everything they do is revolutionary?

How? The internet hype was an ever moving target. Was Steve Jobs supposed to hold a press conference where he ticked off all the things the tablet wasn't? And then issue follow-ups saying "Nope, not that either" with each further flight of geek fantasy?

Apple isn't responsible for the hyper-ventilating of tech enthusiasts and Apple watchers. I can't think of a company, ever, that said anything like "Calm down everybody, you're speculation is getting out of hand" prior to a new product launch.
  • Reply 9 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I don't necessarily disagree here, I just don't think Apple was going to spring the Whole New Deal on everybody at one go.

Key point here, and often overlooked. This is iPad v1, not the last, final be-all end-all version. Features, both hardware and software, can and will be added, of that we can be certain. The product as it stands seems like a relatively safe start towards judging the market for the device and encouraging Apple's partners to create content and developers to create software.
  • Reply 10 of 102
    Quote:

How? The internet hype was an ever moving target. Was Steve Jobs supposed to hold a press conference where he ticked off all the things the tablet wasn't? And then issue follow-ups saying "Nope, not that either" with each further flight of geek fantasy?

Apple isn't responsible for the hyper-ventilating of tech enthusiasts and Apple watchers. I can't think of a company, ever, that said anything like "Calm down everybody, you're speculation is getting out of hand" prior to a new product launch.

Jobs could have released the specs of the tablet before they had the keynote in an interview and said they had a good product but that people were getting a bit carried away.

Most companies are not so secretive about their products.. seems to em the reason Apple IS so secretive is to generate this kind of interest.
  • Reply 11 of 102
    Quote:

Jobs could have released the specs of the tablet before they had the keynote in an interview and said they had a good product but that people were getting a bit carried away.

Most companies are not so secretive about their products.. seems to em the reason Apple IS so secretive is to generate this kind of interest.

Apple doesn't do that and never will. Not so long a Jobs is in charge. The thought that McGraw-Hill not showing up in the keynote was a direct result of the CEO's gaff is not based upon nothing. It turns out, maybe, that they were never really talking, but Jobs really can be that temperamental and seemingly irrational. People need to once and for all except the fact that Apple does not play by the same rules as everybody else.They will never make a netbook, $500 tower, or anything else people endlessly ask for, but that's exactly what make them so good and difficult to copy. They make us want what we didn't even know we wanted, or needed, and 9 times out of 10 they are right. They are their own form of "crazy".
  • Reply 12 of 102
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Two things, why release the specs when Jobs and company are not yet ready and two, why give the competition the heads up on what you are doing. Believe me, most companies especially tech companies are secretive about their products especially when it means they can one up the competition . That's the reason why many companies who release their first gen products never reveal them in the first place until they are ready to be sold to the market. It's good business .
  • Reply 13 of 102
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    iPad name draws feminine hygiene jokes

Quote:

San Francisco, California (CNN) -- Punch lines about hygiene products flooded the blogosphere on Wednesday only moments after Apple Inc. announced it would call its new touch-screen computer the "iPad."

"The mocking goes along the lines of: Yes, the iPad is small, lightweight and slim. But can you swim with it?" wrote the Los Angeles Times' tech blog.

The term iTampon -- a riff on the fact that the iPad can be taken to sound more like a maxipad than a slick new computer -- was the third most-talked about trend on Twitter on Wednesday evening.

Do you think the iPad name is a flop?

Some female bloggers wrote that Apple seemed not to have any women on its marketing team.

"With "iTampon" quickly emerging as a trending Twitter topic, it's probably safe to say that many women found themselves cringing as they asked, 'Do any women work at Apple?' " wrote Annie Colbert on the blog "Holy Kaw!"

---

Still, the torrent of online jokes about the iPad could stick in consumers' minds. It seems particularly damaging that MADtv was making fun of the iPad name long before Apple ever introduced its new product.

A years-old comedy skit from the show circulated the Internet on Wednesday. It shows two women discussing an Apple period-maintenance device called the iPad.

• Reply 14 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

Apple doesn't do that and never will. Not so long a Jobs is in charge. The thought that McGraw-Hill not showing up in the keynote was a direct result of the CEO's gaff is not based upon nothing. It turns out, maybe, that they were never really talking, but Jobs really can be that temperamental and seemingly irrational. People need to once and for all except the fact that Apple does not play by the same rules as everybody else.They will never make a netbook, $500 tower, or anything else people endlessly ask for, but that's exactly what make them so good and difficult to copy. They make us want what we didn't even know we wanted, or needed, and 9 times out of 10 they are right. They are their own form of "crazy".

Why? There is an exception to every rule. By Jobs being so concerned about his MO of secrecy he may have hurt his product more than helped it. I will be amazed if he didn't.. all because he was adhering to some arbitrary rule. That's cutting off your nose to spite your face.. it's Apple's own fault when you consider everyone knew they were delivering some kind of tablet. Why keep a secret that's not a secret? especially when you are trying to sell that secret product to publishers? It made no sense...
  • Reply 15 of 102
    Quote:

Why? There is an exception to every rule. By Jobs being so concerned about his MO of secrecy he may have hurt his product more than helped it. I will be amazed if he didn't.. all because he was adhering to some arbitrary rule. That's cutting off your nose to spite your face.. it's Apple's own fault when you consider everyone knew they were delivering some kind of tablet. Why keep a secret that's not a secret? especially when you are trying to sell that secret product to publishers? It made no sense...

Why is the sky blue? How high is up? It's useless to ask the question! Just like it's useless to pine away for a $500 dollar headless iMac or netbook from Apple. You might not like it, but that doesn't make it any less true.
  • Reply 16 of 102
    Quote:

You've somehow managed to work things around until Apple is responsible for the random bullshit being generated by hit-hungry tech sites and impractical internet pundits.

They're not. You're saying that anytime Apple has a new product to launch, all the competition has to do to get them to tip their hand is start claiming that they've seen a prototype and it cures cancer. Apple is to be lauded for not talking up vaporware, not floating "concept videos" to try and pull some of the oxygen out of the room and not dicking around with what they might do, someday.

And if you don't think that letting the tech press in on what they were up to wouldn't have resulted in a dozen knock-offs being shipped before they could even get the real thing out the door, then you haven't been paying attention. It doesn't have anything to do with "Jobs being concerned about his MO of secrecy", there are solid, strategic business reasons for Apple to behave this way. Other companies aren't as secretive because they don't have to be-- no one is waiting to see what netbook Asus ships next so they can clone it.

Your sense of entitlement here is overwhelming. You're pissed that Apple didn't make the machine you fantasized about and you're sure they should have let you down easy, to the point that you imagine they've inflicted a grievous wound on themselves. Good lord, man, get a grip.
  • Reply 17 of 102
    Quote:

Your sense of entitlement here is overwhelming. You're pissed that Apple didn't make the machine you fantasized about and you're sure they should have let you down easy, to the point that you imagine they've inflicted a grievous wound on themselves. Good lord, man, get a grip.

haha WTF? All I said was that it was crazy for Jobs to let this thing turn into another Segway fiasco by letting hype build unnecessarily.

That shouldn't be such a controversial statement.. the fact you think it is may be due to your own issues..

Quote:

You've somehow managed to work things around until Apple is responsible for the random bullshit being generated by hit-hungry tech sites and impractical internet pundits.

It doesn't matter who is responsible.. all that matters is the end result.. the end result is that the product is being panned and could fail for this reason. I'ts quickly becoming a joke. I think Apple could have prevented this very easily.
  • Reply 18 of 102
    Quote:

haha WTF? All I said was that it was crazy for Jobs to let this thing turn into another Segway fiasco by letting hype build unnecessarily.

That shouldn't be such a controversial statement.. the fact you think it is may be due to your own issues..

Your sense that the iPad is somehow turning into a Segway fiasco is pure fantasy. You're seeing what you want to see. The fact that your bullshit strikes you as innocuous and obvious just means you're very comfortable with bullshit, not that it has any merit.

Quote:

It doesn't matter who is responsible.. all that matters is the end result.. the end result is that the product is being panned and could fail for this reason. I'ts quickly becoming a joke. I think Apple could have prevented this very easily.

I've seen a lot of very positive reviews, limited though they may be, by people who have actually handled one. I've seen a lot more random, baseless speculation and snark from the usual channels of Apple bashing.

Again, you've apparently decided to limit yourself to whatever "bad stuff about the iPad" you can dredge up and declare it the prevailing wisdom, then come here and tell us about it. Anyone not so blinkered can see that developers are licking their chops, which tells you all you need to know.
  • Reply 19 of 102
    Quote:

Your sense that the iPad is somehow turning into a Segway fiasco is pure fantasy. You're seeing what you want to see. The fact that your bullshit strikes you as innocuous and obvious just means you're very comfortable with bullshit, not that it has any merit.

You sure you don't have all that backwards?

Quote:

I've seen a lot of very positive reviews, limited though they may be, by people who have actually handled one. I've seen a lot more random, baseless speculation and snark from the usual channels of Apple bashing.

Again, you've apparently decided to limit yourself to whatever "bad stuff about the iPad" you can dredge up and declare it the prevailing wisdom, then come here and tell us about it. Anyone not so blinkered can see that developers are licking their chops, which tells you all you need to know.

Are you sure you don't have all that backwards?
  • Reply 20 of 102
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    Quote:

And the end result is what?? That it's going to fail? Let me remind you sir, that the iMac before it was released in the public was called a joke and a last gasp by a dying company. The iPod was ridiculed to death and the famous quote in regards to the iPod by Cmdr Taco was viewed by many of the tech geeks as a perfect statement in regards to Apple's foolishness. Oh, btw, how about the iPhone?? EDGE, Inferior camera , does not use flash, no physical keyboard and has ATT as it's provider and many experts predicted that Apple will finally going to get it's ass kicked for very good reasons. And how did those predictions go by the way when the product was released to the general public ?? The problem with tech geeks and spec geeks is this, they assume too much on what they want on the gadgets instead of what ordinary people want or what the company have in mind. Let the market and the consumers decide, Jobs and Apple are big boys, they can handle it.