Amazon has sold 'millions' of Kindles, overall sales increase 42%

Comments

• Reply 81 of 128
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    The iPad won't kill the Kindle but it probably will kill Kindle profits on the hardware side. The customers who buy Kindles are probably sufficiently avid readers who are unlikely to want a multi-function device to read. Ultimately, reading is better on e-ink than LCD. So for serious readers it's unlikely they'll switch. Those who would use a Kindle app on an iPhone or iTouch, however, are good candidates for the iPad and iBooks combo. The iPad will also place pressure on Amazon to drop the price of the Kindle (particularly the DX) if they want to preserve market share for their e-books business. I also expect them Amazon and Barnes and Nobles to offer a free e-book copy with a book purchase. IMHO, the iPad is just as likely to cannibalize some iPod Touch sales (not bad, cause it's an upsell i guess), some macbook sales (for anyone just wants a macbook for media consumption), as it is to steal Kindle sales from those who are committed to e-ink.

There's also Amazon's Whispernet for the Kindle. The iPad doesn't have anything equivalent for those who want their newspapers and magazines, anywhere they are without needing a data subscription. With the iPad you have to choose between only being able to access content when you have wifi coverage or paying a premium for full coverage at home. But that still does not cover access when you travel outside your country (unless you want to pay serious roaming charges or find a provider in the place you are visiting selling a microsim and cheap pay per use data). For many an iPad is an acceptable compromise on this front. But I would bet that this would not be the case for many a Kindle owner.

Finally, I wouldn't discount innovation. I know colour e-ink has been vapourware for awhile. But if they ever have break throughs on this front, the Kindle could become a much more powerful device. Ditto, for the creation of a touchscreen capability for the Kindle or the Nook. All these innovations would make e-readers much more functional, enhancing their value as real alternatives to print media.
  • Reply 82 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You mean the smaller Kindle or the DX?

Why does sense to you to make such a declaration without actually trying the device first?

I must say, it did look a bit too bulky in Steve's hands for regular use as an e-reader. Looking at stats...The wifi iPad is 25% heavier (by 140g) than the Kindle DX. The 3G iPad is 35% heavier (by 190g) than the Kindle DX. That may not be much for some. And that may just be enough to induce discomfort for others.

For non-print media consumption, the iPad can't be beat.
  • Reply 83 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I must say, it did look a bit too bulky in Steve's hands for regular use as an e-reader. Looking at stats...The wifi iPad is 25% heavier (by 140g) than the Kindle DX. The 3G iPad is 35% heavier (by 190g) than the Kindle DX. That may not be much for some. And that may just be enough to induce discomfort for others.

For non-print media consumption, the iPad can't be beat.

Don't see Kindle being able to deliver great magazine or newspaper experiences like the iPad will. iBooks will be just fine.
  • Reply 84 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That extra 0.3 libra tips the scale from "EASILY" to "cannot"?

A helium ballon displaces about 18 grams, which is about 0.4lbs. You do realize that by my calculations you are saying that the lifting power of a 2-day old ballon is make it or break it weight for you.

The iTampon is MUCH thicker. It is not just the weight but the thickness also. And remember one has the option of using the smaller Kindle which WEIGHS ONE POUND LESS.
  • Reply 85 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I wonder how that's going to shake out, it would seem pretty lame that there is an iPhone app but an iPad app isn't allowed.

It's not as simple as 6 vs 8 pixels, because most TN displays dither in a way that's imperceptible to a lot of people, the difference is a lot closer to 7.5 vs 8 bpp.

LED makes it more even, true, it seems to stem from more flexibility in light placement in a portable display.

You mean the smaller Kindle or the DX?

Why does sense to you to make such a declaration without actually trying the device first?

I HAVE held the device.
  • Reply 86 of 128
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

The Kindle is here to stay.

And will continue its stratospheric rise to the top of ... "Amazon Hardware" charts at the very least...
  • Reply 87 of 128
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

I HAVE held the device.

I didn't expect that, I figure only several hundred or a thousand to maybe two people had that opportunity (I didn't look up the building capacity). How did that happen?
  • Reply 88 of 128
    Quote:

I HAVE held the device.

Well hold on tightly to it then, I you managed to hold a device heavier than the kinle dx by 0.2 lbs you must be some kind of super hero.
  • Reply 89 of 128
    Quote:

The iTampon is MUCH thicker. It is not just the weight but the thickness also. And remember one has the option of using the smaller Kindle which WEIGHS ONE POUND LESS.

Yeah with a screen that can't fit more than 6 words per line on any legible font.

edit: My bad seven words.

• Reply 90 of 128
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Honest question because I not sure of the answer. Is the iWorks available on the Tablet truly a full version? I know its multitouch but I most what I read led me to believe it was not as robust as the full version of iWorks the price of only 9.99 per App would also seem to confirm that.

The hardware no doubt is a step foward the problem is the OS is lacking. This Tablet could have easily used a version of Snow Leopard instead of the iPhone OS. Which at least in my opinion would have made it far more functional.

Then again I am not an Apple only users. I am use to Tablets being fully functioning systems which for some reason some Apple only users tend to disagree a Tablet should be running a full OS.

Can you imagine working in a document or spreadsheet wanting to read an email or website and then have to go out then back in- and so on and so on?? Madness!
  • Reply 91 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I know colour e-ink has been vapourware for awhile.

Not quite, but it's a bit expensive, it's not e-ink per se, I am sure of that, but I am not aware what exact tec they use, it's not lcd, they call it e-paper and it's their brand of e-ink, colour e-ink.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujitsu_FLEPia
  • Reply 92 of 128
    Quote:

FACT: The Kindle can be EASILY held with one hand while reading(It is nice and thin). The iPad cannot. That makes for a lot less comfort while reading while laying down.

He's talking out his gazoo as usual- things certainly havent changed. The Kindle weighs 10.2 OUNCES. Look at the picture in this link - she has it in one hand!!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015T963C/...l_19calxq4k4_e
  • Reply 93 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by surferfromuk View Post

Don't see Kindle being able to deliver great magazine or newspaper experiences like the iPad will. iBooks will be just fine.

That depends. Do you want to pay for data on top of of your content purchase? Or do you value colour more? Keep in mind that's lots of people still read black and white newspapers. What matters to them is content and access, not necessarily colour pictures or web browsing. Yes, it's a niche. But it's this niches that would buy a Kindle. All this is not to say the iPad won't outsell the Kindle. It will. But I'd say talk of the Kindle's demise is a little too premature.
  • Reply 94 of 128
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

1) We love jokes around here but calling it an iTampon is overplayed and doesn't make your post sound objective.

2) Yes, the smaller Kindle is lighter and that is great if that is the device that works best for you. There will be a distinct market for dedicated eInk readers for a long time, but I don't think it makes the most sense when comparing it to the iPad since the Kindle DX has the same size display.

3) Plus, we're talking about only a trivial amount of weight 0.86 pounds difference at the most. People wear watches and jewelry on their wrists weighing a lot more than that. If it doesn't fit your infirm capabilities, so be it, but I don't think the difference you're argue are enough to make it go from "easy" to "Impossible".

4) The iPad is 0.5" thin. By comparison the 1st Kindle was 0.80", 2nd is 0.36" and the 3rd 0.38" thick. Your comments in this thread make it sound like you have needed a mobile crane just to get the original KIndle off the ground.

Fun fact: The iPhone 3GS is 0.48". How about that? Almost as thick as an iPad yet people seem to be okay with that. Also, people are carrying notebooks that are much heavier and thicker without requiring impossible feats of strengths. Makes you think.
  • Reply 95 of 128
    Quote:

He's talking out his gazoo as usual- things certainly havent changed. The Kindle weighs 10.2 OUNCES. Look at the picture in this link - she has it in one hand!!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015T963C/...l_19calxq4k4_e

Way to go steinberg comparing a 9.7 inch screen device, with a 6" one.

And fyi, I have been using this http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/IRex_Digital_Reader

for over a year which is both longer and wider than the ipad with no problems. A lot of people have.
  • Reply 96 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

And fyi, I have been using this http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/IRex_Digital_Reader

for over a year which is both longer and wider than the ipad with no problems. A lot of people have.

NOt the size einstein, it's the weight! How much does that gizmo of yours weigh?
  • Reply 97 of 128
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

There is a lot to argue for the Kindle being a worthy player in the eBook market, which I've stated in detaill all day long, but the comparing of a 6" display to a 10" display device as proof that it's crap as a reader has got to be the worst arguments ever. I think a small part of his grey matter shrivels up and a dies each time he gets banned and is forced to return with a new name. I think HeWhoMustNotBeNamed must be using his screen names as Horcruxs. With each disabled account he gets weaker and his posts more feeble.
  • Reply 98 of 128
    Quote:

NOt the size einstein, it's the weight! How much does that gizmo of yours weigh?

Ah, now it's the weight? That "gizmo" which was the first e ink screen at this size weighs 120g less than the ipad. Your point being?
  • Reply 99 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is a lot to argue for the Kindle being a worthy player in the eBook market, which stated in detaill all day, but the comparing of a 6" display to a 10" display device as proof that it's crap as a reader has got to be the worst arguments ever. I think a small part of his grey matter shrivels up a dies each time he gets banned and is forced to return with a new name.

They do get progressively worse those arguments don't they, but I mean if you are most of the time trying to turn day into night you are bound to sound a bit ludicrous....
  • Reply 100 of 128
    Everybody is really arguing over nothing. Crescent wrenches are great for certain tasks, but you can strip an over torqued nut. At that point, you grab the one thing and does it well - exact size wrench.

iPad == crescent wrench

Kindle == exact size wrench

Did the crescent wrench kill the exact size wrench, no. I realize technology is more expensive to produce, but the same principles apply. The success of the iPhone, well, that was built on the success of the iPod. A phone that gets rid of the need to lug an extra device. Therefore, consumers got a real convenience benefit from that fact alone. It works with all the accessories, uses the same iTunes, etc. Same reason CD's took over tapes. CDs offered a huge convenience factor, no rewinding, no tracking headaches, no heads to clean, etc. Blu ray is slow to uptake because there aren't the huge convenience upgrades over DVDs. For people with 110" projects with their seats 10 feet from the screen, big improvement and they've already upgraded.

The question that I see, what convenience factor will the iPad provide to be truly revolutionary? For avid readers, a week on the road without having to recharge may be their convenience factor. Others, buying a book through a system they know, iTunes, may be theirs. At this point, they are two different products. There are guitar tuners on the iphone, I bought one, did it replace my electronic tuners.... No....