Microsoft, Nokia, Nintendo take shots at Apple's iPad debut

Comments

• Reply 161 of 428
    I can only repeat what I said when the iPhone was introduced:"Dear Nokia, it would be wise to start a transission immediately from selling phones to selling used cars. Game over."
  • Reply 162 of 428
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Stop posting. You look like an ignorant fool.

Wow, this place really has some of the nastiest, most unpleasnt fanboys around. When you have to resort to playground name calling, you've automatically lost your argument. Sorry.

Nothing I have said is ignorant, it's all, shock horror, actually based on facts.

Fact - Flash is everywhere on the web. iPad does not support flash, therefore Job's claim of the iPad beind a great way to browse the web is simply untrue.

Fact - Multi-tasking has been standard in computers since the late 1980s. For a new computer not to have it, is an incredible omission.

Fact - USB is an interface common to virtually all computing devices. The iPad does not have a USB port.

Fact - You evidently have no argument, just cheap insults. Good night!
  • Reply 163 of 428
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Oh come off it, what a stupid thing to say.

It is entirely the point to pull Apple up for the closed nature of the iPad.

For example - http://theflashblog.com/?p=1703

This is the reality of the iPad for most people. Insulting people does not change that fact.

Its also a reality that many people (like me) turn off plugins so I don't get flash. If there is something I want to see (video) I turn the plugin on. and reload the page.

I hate flash. I hate dancing people in ads. Its much nicer to stop seeing all of the nonsense that flash involves.
  • Reply 164 of 428
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

I would also. It would be like....

"You mean there's a place I can go to find ALL the apps for my macbook?"

"I don't have to search this site, search that site, just one place?"

"Developers are primaryly making apps for the mac?" 'It's about time!"

Apple does have a downloads page on the Apple.com website, for Apple software and third-party freeware, shareware, and commercial (usually demos) software.

It's not everything, but there's plenty there.
  • Reply 165 of 428
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:

We should be seeing desktop quality apps within a year.

But if they're only available from the iTunes store, what good is that? That was the exact same problem with the AppleTV. Restriction is not good.
  • Reply 166 of 428
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

You know. I was thinking about the limitations of the iPad. How do you store files on it? Why no USB2 port? 64 GB flash memory max?

I was watching the keynote and the demo of iWork. I kept thinking, how did these files that they're playing with get on the iPad? How do you build one of these files from scratch using the iPad? Where are these files stored?

There will be a shared file feature for the iPad and you will be able to access this file using your computer (mounted as an external HDD).
  • Reply 167 of 428
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

But if their only available from the iTines store, what good is that?

Why is that a problem?
  • Reply 168 of 428
    What they hell are people doing in Flash? I consider myself tech savvy, yet I never use flash anywhere on the web. Want to play games, go to pogo, it's java. Lot's and lots of games, for people of all ages.

People get all upset the iPxx(xx) is locked down with proprietary this or that, yet they somehow want more proprietary in their face? Open standards are better for the consumer. They keep cost down and problems tend to get fixed faster.
  • Reply 169 of 428
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:

Fact - Flash is everywhere on the web. iPad does not support flash, therefore Job's claim of the iPad beind a great way to browse the web is simply untrue.

Fact - Multi-tasking has been standard in computers since the late 1980s. For a new computer not to have it, is an incredible omission.

Fact - USB is an interface common to virtually all computing devices. The iPad does not have a USB port.

First, one can successfully browse the web and not miss flash at all so what Jobs said isn't untrue. As empirical evidence, I and many of the other commenters here browse without needing flash at all. (Now my son, that's a different story.)

Second, I've heard you (and thousands of others) and I grant that flash, multi-tasking and USB have been prevalent in our computer usage, though possibly not critical. In any case, none of them are on an iPhone and it has been quite successful, though it's a small screen device, with the limitations that entails. So possibly, you're right that people won't accept this from a larger-screen device.

But there have been many larger-screen devices, like netbooks and tablets, that have flash, multi-tasking and USB ports. Tablets are a commercial mass-market failure; they have a niche. The jury is still out on netbooks - many are happy with them, a good percentage are not.

So why should Apple just repeat what was already done? Apple is taking another tack, one based on what they learned from the iPhone, and offering the market another choice. If flash, multi-tasking and USB are that critical; then you have to admit that Apple has great courage to take such a huge risk. You think Apple is wrong. Many here think Apple is right, and because of the software that Apple has built into it and the ecosystem Apple has built around it, there is a substantial market out there who will buy it.

Update: AppleInsider just posted a new article by Prince McLean explaining that apps will share files with a computer via WiFi. So that's one less reason to need a USB port. (Also, a USB port is provided in the iPad Camera Connection Kit for cameras.)
  • Reply 170 of 428
    Quote:

Even if that were true in theory, it certainly isn't true in practice. Much of the web depends on flash. Want to watch a video online? That'll be flash. Want to play a game online? That'll be flash. Want to play Farmville? (which if you hadn't noticed, a LOT of people do) That'll be flash.

Flash is EVERYWHERE online. It's not going away anytime soon. Apple need to stop their petty argument with Adobe and accept the total dominance of flash.

Flash does have some legitimate uses, but even most online video sites are moving away from it, because they see that more and more people are using devices that are not Flash enabled.

Flash is the reason why annoying ads pop up every time I visit my favorite websites. They are the reason why I (ironic quotes)"Just won a new iPod Nano." I welcome the move to closed systems and to a Flash-free environment, because it means there will be an element of quality control that didn't exist before.

People who get mad about better technology becoming ubiquitous are like those early humans who resented the advent of iron because bronze tools were all they knew.
  • Reply 171 of 428
    MacTripper, kotatsu, this device isn't designed for you. Just accept it and move on with your lives. The iPad is aimed at non-techie types who don't give a flying frig about what is "open" or not. They want an appliance that works at the touch of a button, like their microwave and TV remote.

I may not buy one but my sister is going to LOVE this thing. No more calls because she "broke the internet" or dragged her system folder into the trash (not sure if that's possible, but you get the idea).

A camera would have been good, but they were focusing on price this time around. It will come. Flash is a huge omission, but it is a resource-hungry proprietary (closed!!!) technology. This move will encourage major sites to have an HTML 5 alternative sooner rather than later. Anyone remember the uproar when they omitted the floppy drive from the first iMac?
  • Reply 172 of 428
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acrobratt View Post

People who get mad about better technology becoming ubiquitous are like those early humans who resented the advent of iron because bronze tools were all they knew.

I knew there was a reason we were all still driving gas powered vehicles! Or why we still ride on rubber tires over tarmac. people get so stuck on what they "know" that they're afraid to venture outside the box.
  • Reply 173 of 428
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    "I'm a Mac and the Apple iPad is my idea." - Murray68
  • Reply 174 of 428
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

Its also a reality that many people (like me) turn off plugins so I don't get flash. If there is something I want to see (video) I turn the plugin on. and reload the page.

I hate flash. I hate dancing people in ads. Its much nicer to stop seeing all of the nonsense that flash involves.

But, if you turn it on, you still use flash???
  • Reply 175 of 428
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astroturf1 View Post

But, if you turn it on, you still use flash???

Point is he doesn't want to. Nor should one have to. There are better ways to deliver video and nobody wants ads popping up in their face.

Just because something has been done a certain way for so long does not make it the right way, best way. Do you still drive a 3 speed with the shifter on the colume (H pattern), probably not. Do you still have a landline with an answering machine hooked up? Got a pager? I bet you only use a crt monitor.
  • Reply 176 of 428
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

"I'm a Mac and the Apple iPad is my idea." - Murray68

Wait for "I am a PC and the Zune Pad is my idea"
  • Reply 177 of 428
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Point is he doesn't want to. Nor should one have to. There are better ways to deliver video and nobody wants ads popping up in their face.

If you think that a new technology is going to keep the ads away, I have an island to sell you. Historically, new media technologies and standards have enabled more ads, not fewer. Once it's accepted, the ads will come.
  • Reply 178 of 428
    An ad one expects is one thing. To just pop in ad up in your face while you're trying to read is rude and annoying. When they are in the video, you know, to pay for it so I can watch it free, it's not an issue.
  • Reply 179 of 428
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

An ad one expects is one thing. To just pop in ad up in your face while you're trying to read is rude and annoying. When they are in the video, you know, to pay for it so I can watch it free, it's not an issue.

I don't get this. Flash isn't required to make pop-up ads.
  • Reply 180 of 428
    bunch of has beens...