Microsoft, Nokia, Nintendo take shots at Apple's iPad debut

Comments

• Reply 181 of 428
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

I'm not sure how Apple will do it. How do you make the file accessible so it can be attached to an email, or used by another app? On the iPhone, each app maintains its own files (see app like WriteRoom), and it can create new files from scratch.

This.
  • Reply 182 of 428
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Would you prefer I add it to my signature then?

Yes. Do it. If you dare.
  • Reply 183 of 428
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

You know. I was thinking about the limitations of the iPad. How do you store files on it? Why no USB2 port? 64 GB flash memory max?

I see homes with a base computer/server with iPads that can grab files via the server whenever necessary, with few or no local files. When on the road, these same files can be accessed through the Internet via WiFi, 3G, or satellite.

If that were true then surely there would not be a need for 16, 32, 64GB storage options. What else is that amount of storage used for if the device won't have local files and the user can't access the file system?
  • Reply 184 of 428
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    APPLE HAS HIT A PURE GRAND SLAM

an easy 10 MILLION WILL SELL THIS YR

the french alone will buy 800.000.

and what is most important is that this ipad tablet will bring great joy to millions

peace 9

and may god bless steve jobs
  • Reply 185 of 428
    Quote:

First, one can successfully browse the web and not miss flash at all so what Jobs said isn't untrue. As empirical evidence, I and many of the other commenters here browse without needing flash at all. (Now my son, that's a different story.)

Second, I've heard you (and thousands of others) and I grant that flash, multi-tasking and USB have been prevalent in our computer usage, though possibly not critical. In any case, none of them are on an iPhone and it has been quite successful, though it's a small screen device, with the limitations that entails. So possibly, you're right that people won't accept this from a larger-screen device.

But there have been many larger-screen devices, like netbooks and tablets, that have flash, multi-tasking and USB ports. Tablets are a commercial mass-market failure; they have a niche. The jury is still out on netbooks - many are happy with them, a good percentage are not.

So why should Apple just repeat what was already done? Apple is taking another tack, one based on what they learned from the iPhone, and offering the market another choice. If flash, multi-tasking and USB are that critical; then you have to admit that Apple has great courage to take such a huge risk. You think Apple is wrong. Many here think Apple is right, and because of the software that Apple has built into it and the ecosystem Apple has built around it, there is a substantial market out there who will buy it.

Update: AppleInsider just posted a new article by Prince McLean explaining that apps will share files with a computer via WiFi. So that's one less reason to need a USB port. (Also, a USB port is provided in the iPad Camera Connection Kit for cameras.)

Your response is way too rational and reasonable. I'll bet the guy won't respond, or if he does, it'll be some other nonsensical rant.
  • Reply 186 of 428
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Notice they are paying attention? This is telling.

The iPad is an appliance, and the more I see it the more I think it's something every house could have.

Well Apple certainly make it better via software and it is getting attention, but sadly, a lot is negative.

Will probably wait until Rev 2 before buying though.

PS. Has anyone got the Keynote to play?

iPhone, Leopard, Snow Leopard, it just hangs and hangs. Normally it takes just a day to 36 hours - but still nada, nothing...

Advice? On where to watch?

Thanks
  • Reply 187 of 428
    Apps, music, video, and whatever else you might not want streamed or would want immediate access to. No?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Targon View Post

If that were true then surely there would not be a need for 16, 32, 64GB storage options. What else is that amount of storage used for if the device won't have local files and the user can't access the file system?

• Reply 188 of 428
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

iPhone, Leopard, Snow Leopard, it just hangs and hangs. Normally it takes just a day to 36 hours - but still nada, nothing...

Is all of that through the same internet service provider? Works fine for me on iPhone WiFi & Leopard. Maybe try disabling Wifi and see if it works over 3G?

I didn't know that iPhone could play the stream, that's pretty nifty, though I should have expected it.
  • Reply 189 of 428
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

Well Apple certainly make it better via software and it is getting attention, but sadly, a lot is negative.

Will probably wait until Rev 2 before buying though.

Thanks

Here, plays fine for me.
  • Reply 190 of 428
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    Quote:

Update: AppleInsider just posted a new article by Prince McLean explaining that apps will share files with a computer via WiFi.

We need to know how this will work. So far there is only mention of a 'shared folder'. Is this just a drop box or will the iPad have access the the full file system on the computers? ie will it allow any volume on the computers to be shared? If that is the case then cool.

But what if a friend comes over with an iPad and shows you some pictures. How do we get the pictures transferred from his iPad to mine, when A) The iPad doesn't support Bluetooth file exchange, and B) the pictures on the iPad are not stored as regular files but as the cached libraries as are used for music in the iPhone? What if we are in a neutral environment where there is no WiFI and we want to exchange images, music, PDF's etc between iPad to iPad or iPhone?
  • Reply 191 of 428
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

The DS in no way is threatened by the iPad. They serve different gaming markets.

Oh no? The iPhone is already taken a lot of DS customers away. My friends and I all have a DS for language games. As soon as the iPhone came out we stopped using them. I also gave away boxes of books I used to use. All this BEFORE iPad (which specializes in books LOL). I agree that the arcade games tend to be quite a bit different but people who were buying DSs were not buying them only for games. Most adults were buying them for reference information i.e. TOEIC, foreign language, cooking games etc. The really young kids may keep them for Zelda or whatever but the adults will move to iPhone/iPad and are already doing so.
  • Reply 192 of 428
    How can one explain the fact 2009 was the best year for the DS in terms of U.S. sales (and subsequently breaking every annual video game record ever there), in spite of the presence of the iPhone/iPod touch and no price drop?
  • Reply 193 of 428
    It's so sad when companies and people do not try to realize and forward the potential of a new product. The iPad gives developers a fun new platform to expand upon. We will see some desktop class apps really shining on the iPad. For those of you who keep dissing the Apple TV, it's your loss. I know my wife, daughter, 15 month old and myself view the Apple TV as an invaluable tool at home. The DVD player has not been turned on in over a year and we haven't been subjected to worthless commercials in quite a while....surprising how tv shows that we watch are so much better without commercials. Speaking of commercials, has anyone noticed how much easier on the eyes a website is when there is no flash....just my two cents.
  • Reply 194 of 428
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Wow, this place really has some of the nastiest, most unpleasnt fanboys around. When you have to resort to playground name calling, you've automatically lost your argument. Sorry.

You are an annoying troll, and a complete moron.

Goodbye.
  • Reply 195 of 428
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Fact - Flash is everywhere on the web. iPad does not support flash, therefore Job's claim of the iPad beind a great way to browse the web is simply untrue.

And you, sir, are a one-trick pony. To you, the entire Internet revolves around Flash. You have not put a single post in this forum that does not contain the word "Flash". Even your "evidence" of the iPad being rejected by the public was simply a link to a Flash fanboy forum. You are seeing everything through Flash-tinted glasses and cannot fathom the following concepts:

* Flash is a proprietary CLOSED format just as you are attempting to portray the iPad as.

* No, the entire Internet does not revolve around Flash. Some of us even have Flash blockers installed in FireFox and get along quite well thankyouverymuch.

* There are, in spite of your claims, quite a few ways to watch video on the web without Flash. Check out YouTube's HTML5 Beta program. Works great.

* Flash is a resource hog. Those NetBooks you claim are better than the iPad? They run slow, hot, and short battery lives due to Flash. "Fact" in your terminology.

This is not a Flash forum. Please go back to one that is if you're going to be a broken record about Flash.
  • Reply 196 of 428
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

APPLE HAS HIT A PURE GRAND SLAM

an easy 10 MILLION WILL SELL THIS YR

the french alone will buy 800.000.

and what is most important is that this ipad tablet will bring great joy to millions

peace 9

and may god bless steve jobs

+1

After reading an unGodly amount of vitriol these last two days, here and elsewhere, posted by a multitude of trolls, astroturfists, windoze apologists, and flashtards, I have concluded that Apple truly has a major hit on their hands.

I wasn't sure immediately following the media event, but one thing I have discovered over the last several months and years is that the better Apple is doing, the louder and more profuse the screaming by the Apple haters. And they are screaming bloody murder right now. I also watched the internet stream of the media event (without flash, thank you very much), and I'm very impressed by the iPad.

With the iPad starting at $499, these companies, microsoft, Nokia, Nintendo & others, must really be shitting their pants. And so goes it for their respective fanbases. I would add Adobe to the list as well; the iPad could very well be the final nail in the coffin of flash as a relevant technology.

One thing's for certain, I'll be getting one of these iPads, and sooner than later. For me, it will accomplish 90% of what I currently use my Powerbook for, at a fraction of the weight. For $499, that's a no-brainer.
  • Reply 197 of 428
    Steve said it in his keynote. The biggest difference is that Apple has made iPad to do some key things:

Browsing, Email, Reading books, listening music, watching videos, Games, etc.

+ All apps (unlimited)

If you do the above activities most of the time then this new gadget is a good fit. By removing other features it is now a simple device and kind of "un-complicates' the experience.

The above functionality is more enhanced compared to netbooks out there. For web browsing hands on experience is a must. Otherwise it is hard to explain (explain colors to a blind).

Most of these guys from Nokia and Microsoft are still looking at features and not functionality. Nokia has always delivered many many features on their so called smart phones but not as much functionality. Microsoft too has not taken a holistic approach for full functionality of key uses and not worked on improving it. Whether you own the whole h/w and s/w or not. If Microsoft decided to focus on functionality they have enough influence over their partners to improve a lot. But may be thats why they are Microsoft and not Apple.
  • Reply 198 of 428
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

You are an annoying troll, and a complete moron.

Goodbye.

But I just realized that kotatsu helped point out why the iPad is revolutionary as a computer.

So which of these user-facing computer events are revolutionary?

a. The original Mac with a new GUI/mouse-based OS, black-on-white screen, and 3.5" floppy disk. (Lisa did it first.)

b. The iMac that wasn't beige and was missing the floppy disk drive but had a USB port.

c. The MacBook Air that was missing the DVD/CD drive.

d. The iPad that is missing flash, multi-tasking, and USB port and has a new GUI/multi-touch OS. (A iPhone smartphone did it first but people didn't think of it as a computer)
  • Reply 199 of 428
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft, too, joined the fray this week, when Brandon Watson, director of product management in the developer platform at Microsoft told Technologizer that he found it "humorous" that "Microsoft is much more open than Apple." Watson was referring to the fact that the newly-announced iPad runs the iPhone OS, which can only install third-party applications through the Apple-controlled App Store.

Says the company that controls the Windows Mobile Marketplace.
  • Reply 200 of 428
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

As with the MacBook Air, lots of people are going to attack this new device with venom purely out of envy; they want it, but cannot admit it.

Just look around the net. Jealousy can really make people say the wildest of things.

Macbook air? Did those things really sell? I don't really recall ever seeing one of those things.