Apple reinventing file access, wireless sharing for iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Did you miss this part ?

Instead, each app displays the files it knows about at launch for the user to navigate through directly.

How is that lock-in? If I open an app it sees all filetypes it can handle. This article says nothing about sandboxing documents to a single app.

Yes, the article does say this:

Rather than iPad apps saving their documents into a wide open file system, apps on iPad save all their documents within their own installation directory. Delete the app and you'll clean out all of its related files. This is how the iPhone OS already works.

• Reply 42 of 507
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

Yes if already does on the iPhone. That's why it is important to sync and backup. I suspect you won't be able to delete iWork etc off your iPad

Since it doesn't come with the iPad, but rather is sold for $9.95 per app, I don't see why you couldn't remove it as you now can with any of your bought stuff for the iPhone or touch.
  • Reply 43 of 507
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazimzadeh View Post

Ok that's fine, but I doubt that there will be a button in iPad Mail that will say "open with 'Documents-to-go (current iPhone app)' or 'XXX made up PDF editor' or 'YYY made up photo editor' or 'ZZZ other made up App store app.' There will probably only be an option to open with Apple's own apps, which is not a great thing.

There could just be an "open with" menu... like right clicking on a file in Mac OS X. I don't know. I can't imagine that Apple wouldn't think of these same issues along with solutions to them. So I'm not too worried. Plus... I don't see the traditional files and folders model disappearing anytime soon anyway. I'm sure it will be around for a LOOONG time to come. But it might be that such systems would end up being used mostly by pros while "the rest of us" (mom, dad, your neighbour, not techie friends... etc.) move to a more app-centric model... since that would be easier for them and all they really need for what they would be doing (email, surfing, photos, etc.).
  • Reply 44 of 507
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by illimiter View Post

He's just talking about how he uses his Mac today, to find content; i.e., he doesn't dig through the file system but rather uses the associated app (iPhone, iTunes, etc.) or Spotlight to find the file for him. He's not talking about how the iPhone/iPad would work.

Obviously. But he added the comment to a discussion about the filesystem of the iPad. By relating that to the desktop iTunes/iPhoto/etc apps and then pointing out the limitations of those apps (having to drag a file to the desktop, thus making a copy of it, in order to use it in another application) you are also pointing out the limitation of the iPad filesystem if you wanted it to become a device capable of more complex usage.

Quote:

The iPhone does have built-in search that searches the entire phone. If they really wanted to add tags to link files between apps, then you could use the search app to list all those files.

And rather then repeatedly typing my search over and over again, you'll give me saved searches. Which is now a folder. Yes, a Smart Folder, but still a folder.

I'm not saying it's a bad system. It's good. But it has it's limitations.
  • Reply 45 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stumbleone View Post

This mangles the concept of ?projects.? When I?m doing video work I?ll have files from a variety of applications collocated in a centralized directory: DV/AVCHD/mov video; FCE/FCP sequences; jpg/TIF/PSD images; PDF; AIFF/MP3 audio; etc.

Now I realize that the iPad does not currently support video creation at all. But other kinds of projects can also require files from various apps.

I don?t see how the app=file type library or file system can make this work. So is the iPad truly not to be compatible with or usable for content creation, and is just to be a viewer? Maybe so. Have to think about that.

What you're seeing on the current, not yet released iPad, is OS 3.2. We'll have to wait until ver 4.0 is released late in June. There could very well be major additions to the file system as well as multitasking and other features.
  • Reply 46 of 507
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stumbleone View Post

This mangles the concept of ?projects.? When I?m doing video work I?ll have files from a variety of applications collocated in a centralized directory: DV/AVCHD/mov video; FCE/FCP sequences; jpg/TIF/PSD images; PDF; AIFF/MP3 audio; etc.

Now I realize that the iPad does not currently support video creation at all. But other kinds of projects can also require files from various apps.

I don?t see how the app=file type library or file system can make this work. So is the iPad truly not to be compatible with or usable for content creation, and is just to be a viewer? Maybe so. Have to think about that.

I think the principle is that users don't need to be aware of where their files are stored, and applications are able to find all of the objects they've worked on. This doesn't mean that everything must actually be stored with the app, or that everything an app makes must disappear with it. Sharing copies of things to common pools is easy (e.g., photos and videos from many iPhone apps already go into the photos database). That may be the only kind of sharing that's done at first.
  • Reply 47 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

How long before AI will be obliged to start a stand alone iPad forum?

Or at the very least make this one "iPhone + iPad" in the manner of "iPod + iTunes + AppleTV."

As I suspect that this will become Apple's future OS, I would have to say "yes".
  • Reply 48 of 507
    Quote:

Yes, the article does say this:

Rather than iPad apps saving their documents into a wide open file system, apps on iPad save all their documents within their own installation directory. Delete the app and you'll clean out all of its related files. This is how the iPhone OS already works.

True; apps will normally save documents into their own file area. That doesn't mean that files are necessarily off-limits to other apps. For example, photo editing apps on the iPhone can open photos in the Photo Album.
  • Reply 49 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I'm not saying it's a bad system. It's good. But it has it's limitations.

Every system has its limitations .
  • Reply 50 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goocher View Post

More than likely, they'll have something like GarageBand for iPad, and iMovie for iPad, etc. In those apps, I imagine they will allow some kind media sharing between apps. But I doubt there will ever be any pro-level, or semi-pro-level media creation workflow tools.

Don't be so sure about that. With the iPad it's obvious that the OS is at the beginning of major power upgrades. We're going to see many OS X developers jump on this. As the computer becomes more powerful over the next few years, it will be able to handle more powerful apps. Apple has shown in a patent a movie editing program as one of the uses it will be put to.

There is a question right now as to whether this is a two or four core cpu. No doubt when they move to 32nm, as this is expected to be run on 45 nm, we'll see less power and more speed.

This is already faster than the first Mac I ever used for Photoshop and movie editing.

I can see this, at 22 nm having dual cpu's each with four cores, and a much better GPU, 64 to 256 GB Flash, and a number of expanded technical specs.

Lightweight pro use will be possible, just as we used the now considered to be very slow G4 laptops to do pro work several years ago.

I fully expect this line to be Apple's new consumer OS, creeping up to the low pro level in just a few years. Maybe faster than we expect.

Apple may win the "desktop" war after all.

Some people are seeing that in this, but most aren't so far.
  • Reply 51 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post

This has absolutely nothing to do with MobileMe

Yes it's true, it has nothing to do with MobileMe, for now. It's all about finding files in a generic sort of way. But I was looking waaay down the line. With only 16 gig for the base model (the one I'm interested in), I'm sure i'll use up the space with all of my music, books, magazines, data, etc, etc, etc.. Sooner or later I'll want to have a place to go. Someone on another thread mentioned the cloud concept. I thought it was a great idea.

So we throw everything into one big pile somewhere and leave it up to Apple to retrieve what we need. Just what my dear old grandma was looking for. But sooner or later, regardless how it's stored, these grandmas have to work with this data. What do I tell her then?

Don't get me wrong. I think the concept bounced around of leaving the retrieval of the data to Apple is great. I was just looking for an out just in case she wanted to hang on to this data. if it's all jumbled in a format that Apple can see. How do I save it from a cloud into a file system I understand? Maybe I'm too far down the road. Maybe I'll have to wait 90 days to sort all this out.
  • Reply 52 of 507
    Quote:

True; apps will normally save documents into their own file area. That doesn't mean that files are necessarily off-limits to other apps. For example, photo editing apps on the iPhone can open photos in the Photo Album.

Yes, but the Photos app is the only one which works this way. For example you can not open a Notes file with any other document editor. Well anyways, I hope that you are right that they'll enable this on OS 4.0, because this is a very important issue for iPad's usability.
  • Reply 53 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tom1 View Post

If I delete the application, the files are deleted too? So if a file can be opened with more than one app, and I delete the app, the files are deleted? If I need to reinstall a program, the files are deleted? This sounds scary. Wow, if I create something in iWork and an iPad version of MSOffice is created, I can't delete iWork without losing my documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. Wow! I hope this isn't the case.

You can save all your work to your main computer.
  • Reply 54 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thartist View Post

I totally agree! Apple is selling this idea to idiots in hopes of locking everyone into their own application environment in which they would receive a large piece of the pie for absolutely no work whatsoever. This is all about money. Actually, its down right extortion.

Yes, that is precisely what they are doing. Just look at iPhoto or iTunes as an example. Hardly any 3rd party photo apps can access iPhoto's library. By the time those apps became available (years for iPhoto) people were essentially locked in as they are not going to reconstruct their albums and slideshows. The same with iTunes.

And the comments regarding commingled file types in a folder are an issue. As a couch potato's dream, perhaps its ok. As a trend it will quite an adjustment for people. Metadata is hardly the answer. Who wants to mess with yet more labels? That's what files and a Finder that can sort are all about.

Its all about locking you in.
  • Reply 55 of 507
    Quote:

So if I receive a word/pages document in the Mail app how do I open it in Pages on iPad? Will the Pages app not see the file because it's in the Mail filesystem, and not the iWork one?

One simple way would be for it to open in Pages if you tap it. I see no limitation here. After all, if you tap a link in Mail, it opens Safari on the iPhone for example.
  • Reply 56 of 507
    Ah, tagging and meta-data. I had this awesome idea for a filesystem using only tagging. But you would want a GUI to allow you to easily tag files: say, a set of icons where, when you dragged the file over that icon, it was instantly tagged with that category. And when, say, you double-clicked on the tagging icon, all the files so tagged would appear in a window. If you were just tagging the file with one tag, it should disappear after you have dragged it over the file-type icon. But if you wanted to tag it with multiple types, you could maybe hold the command and option buttons (or something slick with multitouch) to tag it with multiple types. Of course, it would be nice to unify this GUI with some sort of visual metaphor, say the top of your familiar work desk, with each tagging icon perhaps represented by a similarly concrete spatial metaphor, such as a stylized folder sitting on said desk's top...
  • Reply 57 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

One simple way would be for it to open in Pages if you tap it.

Tap it...where? You mean to click Home and open Pages, or to click some link within Mail?
  • Reply 58 of 507
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

So if I receive a word/pages document in the Mail app how do I open it in Pages on iPad? Will the Pages app not see the file because it's in the Mail filesystem, and not the iWork one?

That's an Apple application file so it will have system wide recognition.
  • Reply 59 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Did you miss this part ?

Instead, each app displays the files it knows about at launch for the user to navigate through directly.

How is that lock-in? If I open an app it sees all filetypes it can handle. This article says nothing about sandboxing documents to a single app.

But the document IS sandboxed if you can only open it up in the app environment and not save it somewhere on the filesystem for storage purposes. What if I want to email the file? How will mail attach a document to be sent? Or how do I upload a file through Safari?
  • Reply 60 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thartist View Post

I totally agree! Apple is selling this idea to idiots in hopes of locking everyone into their own application environment in which they would receive a large piece of the pie for absolutely no work whatsoever. This is all about money. Actually, its down right extortion.

I think that's a bit harsh. I also have reason to believe that things will be more sophisticated than what some people think it will be.

This is just the first iteration. This summer we'll see a major OS upgrade with 4. Don't forget that this is just a point update from 3.1 to get it running on the iPad. It's very unlikely that Apple isn't adding a good deal of work to this OS.

I've a suspicion that a fair amount of the complaints here will be addressed by that. There are also things that we're finding out about this now that the presentation is over. For example, this will print to networked printers.

There are also other things we won't know until these get into the hands of reviewers in a few weeks, such as;

Will the photo input accessory kit with its USB 2 adapter and SD card adapter allow storage BACK to them, or just FROM them?

What about the 30 pin connector coming out of the docks?

A lot of interesting stuff to find out. I wouldn't get worked up about it yet.