Apple reinventing file access, wireless sharing for iPad

Comments

• Reply 121 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thartist View Post

True, but notice the FREEDOM you had to install another OS, to test out other applications,etc? I can tell you that the iPad will not handle a one-tenth of what a Slate device will be able to handle due to its 1ghz processor. MIght run X-com though. OOOO. Can I install Steam on the iPad? Wait. I can't. The iPAD is sandboxed. :-(

Why would I want to install another OS when it already has one?

Why would I want to test out other applications when they're already provided via Apple's ecosystem?

Why would I want to put steam on my iPad? That would ruin it. wouldn't it be quicker just to drop it straight into the water?

Sandboxes are fun. I used to love playing in them.
  • Reply 122 of 507
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    The Omni Group, maker of some really nice Mac apps, are excited about porting their stuff to the iPad ASAP.

OmniGraffle on the iPad sounds very interesting, to me. It turns it into a technical diagramming pad.
  • Reply 123 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

For me the real problem is about what the iPad wants to be?!

What it is Steve Jobs creative project.

It's more or less going to go in the direction of the reason why most people buy it, a device looking for a market basically.

After reading the article I get the impression it's UI isn't very well thought out. I've noticed there is a bit of confusion concerning things, as if it's really a piece of animated art.

Some programs I have used over the years were like this, the UI changes nearly every screen and you have to learn a lot in order to get things done. This is going to pain people using this type of UI.

I can't begin to state how dumb I think it is that deleting a app deletes all the files you have with it.

For instance lets say you upgrade to another photo managing software, one that's better. Well you go delete the old one to make room for the new, and all your previous precious photos are gone!

How dumb is that? It's really really dumb.

Not only that, just when OS X UI was getting it's foot established, Apple goes and introduces a new UI with the iPad, the future of all Apple's computers.

Not only that, we are surely due for ANOTHER processor switch now, it's obvious as all heck.
  • Reply 124 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

For me the real problem is about what the iPad wants to be?!

It doesn't matter. It looks and feels like a big iPod Touch that can do more than an iPod Touch, and is reasonably priced.

It'll sell on that alone.

70% of this thing will be the more powerful App Store content it will run and the directions in which developers are lining up (even as we type) to take it.

The iPad is where the money is, where the developers are already, and which will sell like crazy as a result.
  • Reply 125 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

It's more or less going to go in the direction of the reason why most people buy it, a device looking for a market basically.

After reading the article I get the impression it's UI isn't very well thought out. I've noticed there is a bit of confusion concerning things, as if it's really a piece of animated art.

Some programs I have used over the years were like this, the UI changes nearly every screen and you have to learn a lot in order to get things done. This is going to pain people using this type of UI.

I can't begin to state how dumb I think it is that deleting a app deletes all the files you have with it.

For instance lets say you upgrade to another photo managing software, one that's better. Well you go delete the old one to make room for the new, and all your previous precious photos are gone!

Not only that, just when OS X UI was getting it's foot established, Apple goes and introduces a new UI with the iPad, the future of all Apple's computers.

Not only that, we are surely due for ANOTHER processor switch now, it's obvious as all heck.

EXACTLY! The iPhone OS is the FUTURE of all Apple computers. Steve Jobs is saying that everybody's kid is stupid and dull. They aren't organized, nor can they handle simple file operations like Open and Save (even though they seem to upload FLICKR and Facebook pictures just fine).
  • Reply 126 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It doesn't matter. It looks and feels like a big iPod Touch that can do more than an iPod Touch, and is reasonably priced.

It'll sell on that alone.

What more can it do than an iTouch? I missed that one.
  • Reply 127 of 507
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

Yes, that is precisely what they are doing. Just look at iPhoto or iTunes as an example. Hardly any 3rd party photo apps can access iPhoto's library.

Its all about locking you in.

Do you have any clue regarding what you are talking about? On the Mac (and PC for iTunes), there's lots of third party apps that can access iPhoto's library and iTunes' library. For example, apps that can compare what's on my iPod with what's on my Mac/PC, and then upload as requested.
  • Reply 128 of 507
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Typo... I meant to say users. And the answer... as I've said a bunch of times already... are the average joes and computer idiots who just want to write email, surf the web, download music, post on facebook... etc. i.e.... not creative pros or developers or other content creators. Steve made that VERY clear in his presentation. The very first thing he said was that this new creation was something IN BETWEEN a full blown computer and a handheld. You can't fault the iPad for not being OS X. That's what your desktop / laptop is for. No one ever said that the iPad was a replacement for a full blown computer.

No one said the iPad was a replacement for anything. I am so amazed that people are desperately looking for WHO the thing is for and WHAT its uses are. It just strikes me as blindingly obvious - its for everybody. And why would you exclude creative pro's and developers and content creators. They'll be the first in line, no matter what they say. Its also for my kids - Its the perfect first laptop for them. They do not want file systems, folders, CS PS4 and the like. When they do they'll get the appropriate hardware/software, its for my mother who wants it simple, its for me, and every other power user out there (whatever the genre), when they're not working professionally. Imagine you are in a living room and the thing is lying on the coffee table. There are four or five people in the room. Pick any of your friends or family. How long do you think it will take for someone to pick it up? Exactly, you'll be fighting for it! And like Melgross keeps pointing out, we just don't know much about it at the moment. One thing I am pretty sure of is that it will find uses in places that will surprise us. A friend is really excited because he wants it on his boat. GPS with maps and navigation (I think the 3g version gps, right?), 3g, email, games, etc etc. Its already been featured in Sail Magazines. And so on.
  • Reply 129 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Why would I want to install another OS when it already has one?

Why would I want to test out other applications when they're already provided via Apple's ecosystem?

Why would I want to put steam on my iPad? That would ruin it. wouldn't it be quicker just to drop it straight into the water?

Sandboxes are fun. I used to love playing in them.

1. Because you have the freedom to hack other computers if you would like to.

2. Because sometimes Apple doesn't GET IT RIGHT.

3. Because games during the golden age are clearly better than the buggy crap EA puts out now.

4. I had a sandbox too.

I can't hack with an iPad. I can't run Wireshark with an iPad. I can't play quality strategy games with an iPad (just imagine how big games are going to be that take full advantage of the screen resolution!)
  • Reply 130 of 507
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Yeah, I'm done with this place for a while. The reading comprehension around here is embarassing. 50 posts have to follow an article because people can't read it.
  • Reply 131 of 507
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Just hurry up and release it already, Apple... I'm ready to buy.
  • Reply 132 of 507
    Quote:

Well if you want to pay me for consulting... :-)

box.net has an app in the app store. Think of people walking around with cheaper iTouches as opposed to these huge pad devices which are subject to being dropped. I have a workflow worked out with my iPhone being the main device which uploads info to the cloud. Since I can't really PULL info from the cloud because the device is sandboxed, I can at least sync it with my machines at the office. Email me for more info. :-)

Ah, I see, there's a misunderstanding. iPod Touches are too small to read a script on, let alone a storyboard. When my prop person wants me to choose between two airplane propellers for a set decoration, the Touch will again be too small for me to get a good idea of the differences. I need something large enough (screen-wise) to view all these things on with good resolution and size. As I said, on feature shoots (or TV), we're all running around with notebook computers for this (not the best object for running around with). The iPad has a similarly sized screen (and far larger than the Touch) than a notebook computer, and thus could replace it (and is lighter than most). My script supervisor might be able to use one for their purposes as well. And of course, even if there were a way to stream my DP's feed to the Touch, there's no way I'd use that to look at a scene in that I was directing. Waaaay too small. (And even the iPad might be too small.)

I see you didn't understand that this would be used on a film set to replace the notebook computers. A Touch would simply be too small. You may not spend much time on sets, so it's understandable.
  • Reply 133 of 507
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

I can't hack with an iPad. I can't run Wireshark with an iPad. I can't play quality strategy games with an iPad (just imagine how big games are going to be that take full advantage of the screen resolution!)

Stop crying and buy a netbook. Nobody is forcing the iPad on you.
  • Reply 134 of 507
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

You have been all over the forums dissing the whole concept. I really don't care if you don't like it but you are beginning to sound like you feel personally threatened. I understand how hard it is to break old habits. I have PC friends who were up in arms about iTunes re-arranging their files and folders which they were used to structuring just so. They all sounded like old librarians who were told to put records on the computer (or so I imagine) Most modern user couldn't give a flying crap about file systems. They do want to find stuff, and with iTunes / iPhoto etc, they do. I no longer hear my PC friends complain. They have conformed to the iTunes way of doing things and the world didn't end. In fact its a little bit better because a bunch of files just kinda disappeared. And so for you - open your mind a little. Don't look at it as a threat. look at it as just another project. Its interesting, right? Its different! Its just another device - you iMacs and MacBooks et all won't go away. Enjoy it and figure it out. But do stop the whinging. You haven't even tried it yet.
  • Reply 135 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MeCourious View Post

I was curious if Apple decided to tie this to a MobileMe contract, what would happen to your files if you decided after a year you didn't want to continue your MobileMe. What happens to your files? Does Apple allow you to download them to a hard drive? What if you don't have the space? Do you have to continue to use MobileMe just to hang onto your files? Obviously this is in the early stages. I'm sure cloud computing is coming. I'm just wondering what happens if you change your mind. Can you get off the cloud?

MobileMe has been around (under other names) for years. I've been a member since Feb 23, 2000 according to my System Preference panel for MobileMe.

Typically applications that store things using your MobileMe account use the "iDisk" feature to do so. The iDisk mounts as a network volume under both MacOS and Windows, so you can download/edit/upload files at any time. On the Mac, there's a preference to always sync your iDisk to your computer whenever you're connected to the Internet (though I don't bother with it).

*However,* if your MobileMe account expires, your files *are* deleted rather than being held "hostage" until/unless you renew. (To stretch the analogy, the hostages are killed when the time expires. ;o) There is an option to auto-renew, billing the renewal to your credit card, but if you think you may not be renewing it's definitely important to download anything you want to keep (and you CAN download everything) before your subscription expires.

I hope that helps!
  • Reply 136 of 507
    Quote:

Along with a camera and multitasking? Yes, yes, we have heard this before.

Stop and really think about the camera (most people are referring to a user-facing camera for Skype or iChat video chat). It's stupid.

On a desktop or portable, the device is fairly stationary when it is being used. So the camera (and screen) is stationary and adjusted by the user so that it's looking at the user's face. Now the iPad is supposed to be used most of the time while it is in your hands, so it is likely to be moving often - every time you shift in your chair, it moves. You will make the other person who is viewing it sick. Now suppose you put it down in your lap or on a table so that it is stationary. Now it's looking straight up at the ceiling, and if your unlucky, it catches your chin or the stuff in your nose. Now suppose you decide to hold it still so that its looking at your face - well, how long do you thing you can hold it up like that before your arm gets tired.

The only time it makes sense is if you put it in the dock or case-stand, both of which are optional accessories.
  • Reply 137 of 507
    Quote:

"files should never be a focal part of your application"...

uh. I don't want to make a Snappy the Clown application here folks. I want to program something useful that I can use on my phone. Sense when did tech documentation have so much philosophy and marketing speak bundled up all in one paragraph?

Your comment here reveals your ignorance. These are developer guidelines, and such important commentary has been in it since the 1980s when the Mac UI Guidelines were issued.
  • Reply 138 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

Ah, I see, there's a misunderstanding. iPod Touches are too small to read a script on, let alone a storyboard. When my prop person wants me to choose between two airplane propellers for a set decoration, the Touch will again be too small for me to get a good idea of the differences. I need something large enough (screen-wise) to view all these things on with good resolution and size. As I said, on feature shoots (or TV), we're all running around with notebook computers for this (not the best object for running around with). The iPad has a similarly sized screen (and far larger than the Touch) than a notebook computer, and thus could replace it (and is lighter than most). My script supervisor might be able to use one for their purposes as well. And of course, even if there were a way to stream my DP's feed to the Touch, there's no way I'd use that to look at a scene in that I was directing. Waaaay too small. (And even the iPad might be too small.)

I see you didn't understand that this would be used on a film set to replace the notebook computers. A Touch would simply be too small. You may not spend much time on sets, so it's understandable.

I screen write on my iPhone. There's an app for that. It's pretty darn good too. But you might want to go back to legal notepads. Way cheaper. :-)

Seriously though, I would wait for a Slate device. Imagine beings able to do ALL of what you need above, and have a device in which you can make modifications to the actual content using native creative apps that you use on your pc and beam it to the cloud for instant collaboration!

I can't wait to run Painter on a Slate device. W00t!
  • Reply 139 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post

This has absolutely nothing to do with MobileMe

Don't be too sure, since essentially no one has ever used iWork on the iPad. Don't forget Apple's iwork.com beta for sharing documents. That could definitely end up being tied to iWork for the iPad and a user's MobileMe and/or iTunes account.
  • Reply 140 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Your comment here reveals your ignorance. These are developer guidelines, and such important commentary has been in it since the 1980s when the Mac UI Guidelines were issued.

Sorry. I guess I'm not used to such restrictions.