Apple reinventing file access, wireless sharing for iPad

Comments

• Reply 241 of 507
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Rather than iPad apps saving their documents into a wide open file system, apps on iPad save all their documents within their own installation directory. Delete the app and you'll clean out all of its related files. This is how the iPhone OS already works.

I have learned that the hard way when I, upon problems synching applications ('Your computer is not authorized'), uninstalled all apps, de-authorized and re-authorized the computer, and re-installed the apps. Problem solved, well, but all Shazam data was lost in the process (and to my knowledge there is no way to back them up, outside of doing screenshots).

Compare that to the Mac, yesterday my Fusion threw errors after a hard reset of the computer. A quick uninstall and re-install and it was working again. Since the data, the virtual machine, is separate from the app, I lost nothing.

With the iPhone OS model, each app has to implement its own backup (and a lot already do). Yes, there is a global backup of the iPhone but it is the OS, the apps and the user data together and one cannot selectively restore parts of it.

Yes, the idea is to relieve the user of having to think about the file systems and where what is stored and that works fine until something does not work. I really think what is missing is that the backup that has to be implemented for each individual app separately should be institutionalised.
  • Reply 242 of 507
    OMG! I just looked up my invoice for the Mac 8100/80 and the 21"-24bit Supermac CRT... it was not $10k... but roughly $20k (38k Deutschmarks)!!!! I must have been high or overly optimistic. No wonder my GF had a freak! You could buy houses (small) at the time here for that amount! Boy am I glad it all "just worked"..
  • Reply 243 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Yes, there is a need for two ways of working with two completely different devices/platforms.

Sorry I've clarified/edited my post now. I meant there is no need for 2 ways on MacOSX in general - AND I think the iPad system is very simple - but that's not necessarily an advancement. Simple works great for a limited number of files.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

The system suggested for the iPad makes perfect sense. If the two systems interact flawlessly, then there's zero issue.

btw - who has stated that deleting pages will delete the pages documents folder? That seems a but of a leap. If I remove an application on the mac, my documents stay exactly where they are. I think you're making a bit of a strange assumption there.

Prince McClean stated it in the original article. As the guy above me quoted (thanks noirdesir!).

Far be it from me to say he's correct though. He may, he may not.

He has interesting insights but he doesn't judge objectively when it's Mac stuff, and I disagree the removal of folders solves all our filesystem problems (nor does deleting all our data when we delete the app!).
  • Reply 244 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

I have learned that the hard way when I, upon problems synching applications ('Your computer is not authorized'), uninstalled all apps, de-authorized and re-authorized the computer, and re-installed the apps. Problem solved, well, but all Shazam data was lost in the process (and to my knowledge there is no way to back them up, outside of doing screenshots).

A 77 year old colleague of mine wants to buy a computer. She's wondering if she could get an iPad + keyboard. I think, in general, it's a good idea.

But I'm worried about her data. Principally all her photos, there's probably not much else.

1) will she be able to backup somehow?

2) if I set her up using my mac, but in a year her grandson tries to help her by syncing it to his machine.... she'll be back to square #1, a blank slate so to speak.

This is certainly capable of being her main machine. If she was my grandmother I would just keep a dormant login on my Mac for her and occasionally sync.
  • Reply 245 of 507
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

A 77 year old colleague of mine wants to buy a computer. She's wondering if she could get an iPad + keyboard. I think, in general, it's a good idea.

But I'm worried about her data. Principally all her photos, there's probably not much else.

1) will she be able to backup somehow?

Well this thing has a USB adapter, SD card adapter and blue tooth, so I think that should be pretty easy. Just connect an external hard drive, or drag all the docs to an SD card.

My parents will each be getting one of these for christmas with no existing computer to sync to. With wi-fi and 3g, they can access their content without a desktop computer, and neither are going to have enough data to fill 64gigs.
  • Reply 246 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

1) if I set her up using my mac, but in a year her grandson tries to help her by syncing it to his machine.... she'll be back to square #1, a blank slate so to speak.

Hopefully there will be the option of syncing to the device, or syncing to the computer - deciding which data to erase and replace from which end, so as to speak.
  • Reply 247 of 507
    drudru Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazimzadeh View Post

Tap it...where? You mean to click Home and open Pages, or to click some link within Mail?

Steve demonstrated this in the keynote by opening a PDF attached to an email. You tap the document icon and it opens. It's not hard to grasp.
  • Reply 248 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

You might say, well "pros" sure, but "normal" people don't need better tools.

Yes, they do. I have a friend that, as I also said before, has been pouring photos into iPhoto ever since version one. And life (iPhoto life, anyway) sucks. She's long past keeping her library on her 128GB MB Air, finally got a genius to tell her how to move it off to an external drive, and now that drive is running out of room.

She'd love it if she could keep her best photos on the Air, the rest on the external drive, and manage them all through a single interface, but Apple doesn't roll that way.

Read my lips: If you restrict people to a single library on a single drive, at some point that drive is going to get full.

And then you're screwed.

And as we collect more and more digital media: books, movies, shows, games, apps, photos, music, video...

It's only going to get worse.

No, because a device is restricted by it's storage capacity and processor power. If you need more storage, buy a bigger device, if you want more power, buy a more powerful device.

If a macbook Air isn't large enough for your friends needs, then it's time for a bigger computer, simple as. This level of data storage is the realm of external hard drives and libraries. The iPad doesn't seem to be aimed at a user requiring massive storage, I guess the macbook line up are the next step up from this platform.

I'd like to drive at 125 miles an hour, my current car can't do that. I'd like a bigger trunk to store stuff in, but the trunk is only so big. I bought my current car knowing it's top speed, if i want more speed, I have to pay for it, i knew the size of the trunk. Easy really. If you want more than this device offers, then don't buy it.

This device is meant to be simple and intuitive to use. Having multiple libraries for the one application is neither intuitive or simple to grasp for the average non-tech home user. It is possble to have applications with multiple libraries, high end/pro apps do this. iLife/iWork is not aimed to be a replacement for these pro apps, and never will be. The hard drive gets full, it's time to archive and clear out.
  • Reply 249 of 507
    Quote:

Actually, I think it's you that misunderstand. I do photography, and have done plenty of professional studio work.

As to software, I use Photoshop, Aperture, Lightroom, and iPhoto.

And Aperture and iPhoto persist in their single-library single-mindedness, to the point of distraction. Have you shot RAW off a Canon 1DS? Those suckers burn through HD space faster than does a bit-torrent fiend.

As I said, you begin to reach a point where you absolutely, positively need multiple libraries (or collections) on multiple drives. I have 2 and 4GB drives, and I still bounce off the wall in Aperture, in iPhoto, and even with movies and TV shows in iTunes. Download a single TV season off iTunes and bam, 20 gig is gone, just like that.

You might say, well "pros" sure, but "normal" people don't need better tools.

Yes, they do. I have a friend that, as I also said before, has been pouring photos into iPhoto ever since version one. And life (iPhoto life, anyway) sucks. She's long past keeping her library on her 128GB MB Air, finally got a genius to tell her how to move it off to an external drive, and now that drive is running out of room.

She'd love it if she could keep her best photos on the Air, the rest on the external drive, and manage them all through a single interface, but Apple doesn't roll that way.

Read my lips: If you restrict people to a single library on a single drive, at some point that drive is going to get full.

And then you're screwed.

And as we collect more and more digital media: books, movies, shows, games, apps, photos, music, video...

I remember way back when, when there was a program called LivePicture that used low-res proxies to achieve non-destructive editing. Something on that order could be used today, I'll agree.

Also I think the "alias-paradigm" needs some work... or is this possibly better achieved with the metadata-database structure proposed here?

What would be thoroughly cool is if Apple decided to add a consumer-friendly Media Server... or CF-branch to Leopard server to be used on a MacMini with multi-gig stackable FW drives. Those are available now (OWT I think)... but I think Apple showing the way at their stores would be better for the average consumer.

I'm thinking automated "optimization" scripts for folders and different types of content. Then accessing it over WLAN... (which I do right now with my MBP, MacPro, and Airport setup.)

Taking "everything and the sink" with you at all times, is not what the iPad is about anyway. That's why there're MacBooks and iMacs. And as you said, they are not nearly enough.

I helped a friend install a new 27" iMac last week (what a sinfully gorgeous beast!)... and first thing I made him buy was 2 external FW drives... 1x-2GB and 1x4GB.. one as a data disk, the other that TMs the smaller drive and the iMac. Next step, a small 500Gb just for an exact duplicate of the iMac using SuperDuper.

Quote:

Is this not possible by only syncing specific Albums back to the Air? I don't have iPhoto or LR in my immediate work flow, so I'm curious for a friend of mine. Anyone?
  • Reply 250 of 507
    I was just thinking about how I believe LR and iPhoto "could" (or does?) work.

When you make edits, don't they both hold those edits in script-form? Why couldn't you edit a proxi or an optimized lo-res movie or photo, and then only need to sync the proxi and the scripts? Or do they both do, just that, now?

And when you categorize, rate, make Albums etc.... that is only a text-based (XML I think) database. Why is that hard to sync across devices?
  • Reply 251 of 507
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Yeah I was hopping to see Color and FCP aps for the Ipad actually. Virtual controllers to return some of the tactile feeling; which would be nice since I have a distinct "twitch" when I think of how technology seems to have gotten in the way over the years, where a Maviola might have seemed like chaos, it was so much more about building something than simply "clicking a mouse" 20,000 times in FCP.

Oh yeah, holding up frames to a light box, pawing through trims, just the way an edit point was a literal butting up of two images and made that chunk as it passed through the gate. Such a different feel, and it made for a different style of edit. More....... architectural.

I used to do a little optical printing, as well, and that was freaking illuminated manuscripts compared to mouse click away motion graphics I can do on the laptop I'm writing this on.
  • Reply 252 of 507
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OzExige View Post

Would I lie to you?

ummmm BTW Engadget is talking about the iPad - SMS AND Video calling

Exactly my point, they are confusing the the iPad and the iPhone on the same SDK. Besides, there's no need to even allow the option of sending texts on this thing as that's what phones are for.
  • Reply 253 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Oh yeah, holding up frames to a light box, pawing through trims, just the way an edit point was a literal butting up of two images and made that chunk as it passed through the gate. Such a different feel, and it made for a different style of edit. More....... architectural.

I used to do a little optical printing, as well, and that was freaking illuminated manuscripts compared to mouse click away motion graphics I can do on the laptop I'm writing this on.

Optical printing???? That's so Starwars. Did you work with one of the Burbank Labs?

I cherish the "old school", dailies, cut, conform, time, print. I haven't had too many people ask me for 35mm in a while. Everyone wants to use the RED these days.

The older technology made it just hard enough that you had to think before you acted. Nowadays you can fudge it a bit and people like to fudge; especially producers with ridiculous schedules and dwindling budgets. I have this joke that I believe that technology didn't really save us any time though, it just made a thousand more changes possible in the same amount of time. Here's to the concept of a new interface that we may enjoy our craft in a new way that harkens back to the old way.
  • Reply 254 of 507
    Quote:

Actually, I think it's you that misunderstand. I do photography, and have done plenty of professional studio work.

BLAH BLAH BLAH, I don't know but for some reason it sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about or how to use the software afforded to you.
  • Reply 255 of 507
    I had the same experience, spending a great deal of time searching for the actual location of my music and photos. I admit I am now used to it and don't give it a second thought. I still like to know where my files are though, and enjoy organizes them in a way that works for me. This is a fine option for the iphone and ipad, but not for OSX.
  • Reply 256 of 507
    but will you be able to simply hook up a usb drive to the iPad?

I'm still not sure how you will get data onto the pad when you are away from home. At home should be no problems - wifi, usb to main computer etc, but when you are travelling light ie iPad + what accessories?

How can I get a file from a friend to look at/work with when I am away. He may have it on his USB stick - will I be able to read that?

Even at 64gb, that means just a small subset of my music, books, docs, videos,photos etc. I have all of these on a 500gb WD usb disc - will I be able to use that with the iPad when I need a file that is on the disc but not on the pad?

Method 1

I'm hoping for a way to read usb drives by a connecting wire to the pad with transfer of data - but if it is locked down like the iPhone, then this will not be the case.

Method 2

Transfer by wifi. Fine at my house, but what if I am in a hotel - how do I get at my files on my usb drive?

I did think that I could use my airport express and hook up the usb drive to that, and use the airport express to set up my own personal wifi network - hence access to the usb drive. However, the airport express does not support attached hard drives - only the extreme does so. Are we therefore looking at an upgrade to the airport express so it has this function. More money to Apple and a bit more kit to carry around and of course, access to a power supply. Sort of semi mobile really.
  • Reply 257 of 507
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    I wonder if the iPad will have Time Machine support. I can understand syncing with a Mac, but if there is a category of consumers that would consider buying this thing as the only computer (Liberal Arts students, for instance), and getting a couple of accessories, such as the keyboard dock so that they can type their papers on the iPad, I believe having Time Machine support is crucial.
  • Reply 258 of 507
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Exactly my point, they are confusing the the iPad and the iPhone on the same SDK. Besides, there's no need to even allow the option of sending texts on this thing as that's what phones are for.

Remember the 2008 WWDC!? The image that was shown, that was signaling that Apple now has given developers two paths to build applications on. One being Mac OS X the other being the iPhone.

Well the iPad would be that 3rd final development platform. I think that Apple will make an even more clear differentiation of the SDK for iPhone and iPad.

Another point to bring attention also is that Apple is preparing consumers for the cloud, us prosumers understand (to some degree) of what's needed or would be needed for cloud computing to become mainstream, and it looks like a tightly integrated ecosystem is one important ingredient. Only time will tell though.

THIRD BRIDGE COMING SOON

• Reply 259 of 507
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:

Actually, I think it's you that misunderstand. I do photography

.................... removed for clarity ...........................

And then you're screwed.

gee I don't think so - there's dozens of ways to manage multiple iPhoto libraries - and no, I'm not saying this works on the iPad. I don't know what works on the iPad (neither do you), but I can't wait to find out

http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/ iPhoto Library Manager
  • Reply 260 of 507
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Marketing is promise to no one.