Microsoft, Nokia, Nintendo take shots at Apple's iPad debut

Comments

• Reply 241 of 428
    iPad will connect to a camera with a little connector kit; I don't need an internal camera.
  • Reply 242 of 428
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dbossmon View Post

90% of the web is not flash btw.

Correct, and 90% of Flash implementation is utterly worthless.

Why are we even debating this BS? 75 Million iPhones/iPod touch. They don't give a good damn about Flash. I'd even wager that at least 40 million wouldn't even know what it was if you asked them.

I have to point out, Nintendo has balls to say they're "totally unimpressed" and "just a big iPod Touch." If that's true then its exactly what Nintendo should be worrying about considering the "small iPod touch" ruined their industry-long lead in mobile gaming.

Nintendo is losing to the iPhone OS, and now it just got kicked into overdrive.

Ballmer rudely denounced the iPhone in Jan 2007 and has now made himself look like an ass because of it. The guy is so deluded that he compared the Motorola Q as being a great alternative to the iPhone.

Nokia? Yeah I'm sure the mobile phone market in 3rd world countries is working out great as your back door strategy. When you make $4 phones and dump them on people for free, there are bound to be piles of them everywhere.

iPhone OS is the most popular Mobile OS for web browsing In The World. As millions of iPads begin flying out the door, how will this fact be affected? Gee...I wonder.
  • Reply 243 of 428
    pmz makes a great point about Flash that also works for the multitasking debate. 75 million users currently don't have either and seem pretty satisfied.

Some people, however, want to tell those 75 million that they are completely wrong.
  • Reply 244 of 428
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

iPad will connect to a camera with a little connector kit; I don't need an internal camera.

Not to mention, the accessory port is wide open for development. If there is any market for video chat on thing at all, which maybe there is, then Logitech or whoever else can make a sleek video camera that clips on and plugs into the 30 pin. Download the companion app from the App store and bam! Video chat on an iPad?!?! OMFG!?!?!

That's one accessory I won't be buying.
  • Reply 245 of 428
    The developers are who will make the iPad great (although Iwork already does).
  • Reply 246 of 428
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

First excellent post of this thread, one that actually addresses the story. Yes, SJ was specifically referring to all of Apple's products that offer the attribute of 'mobility', i.e., iPods, iPhones, and laptops. The fact that Nokia could not/did not understand that says a lot.

How convenient, to find one of the many measurements on "being the largest" and then claiming: "we're the biggest". It would have been easier to state "on profit" and you'd been spot on. Also you seem to claim to know exactly what SJ was referring to when he hasn't stated that publicly has he?

It's kind of like saying, I'm best in the world at driving. Well probably there is one measure in driving (of the millions of different measures) where I am, but that doesn't really make me worlds best.

Don't get me wrong, Apple's been doing an impressive job and at the pace they are going, they will be #1 very quickly (at least in revenue), but being intellectually dishonest about your claims is well, dishonest.

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 247 of 428
    round and round we go
  • Reply 248 of 428
    Furthermore, let's be a little imaginative.

How about some features and benefits of pairing your iPhone to the iPad? We've already heard that it will mount its App Documents Folders on your Mac via WiFi. Very very useful. Opens up a whole realm of Mac <-> iPad work. How about on the go? Essentially you'll go out for the day with iPhone in pocket and iPad in its case. Like many outings (that are not specific photo excursions) I'll take 30-50 photos and a few videos with my iPhone. When I get a chance to sit down, I'd like to pick up my iPad and quickly access those photos and video over Bluetooth. Maybe import them (at least photos) right then and there, to see how they actually look on a big screen.
  • Reply 249 of 428
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

How convenient, to find one of the many measurements on "being the largest" and then claiming: "we're the biggest". It would have been easier to state "on profit" and you'd been spot on. Also you seem to claim to know exactly what SJ was referring to when he hasn't stated that publicly has he?

It's kind of like saying, I'm best in the world at driving. Well probably there is one measure in driving (of the millions of different measures) where I am, but that doesn't really make me worlds best.

Don't get me wrong, Apple's been doing an impressive job and at the pace they are going, they will be #1 very quickly (at least in revenue), but being intellectually dishonest about your claims is well, dishonest.

Regs, Jarkko

It's not dishonest. It was completely true. You just have to listen better than (Nokia) a 3rd grader, to understand what was said

Nokia does not appreciate Jobs' claims because they don't sell Laptops. They don't get how that makes Apple better at what they are doing, than what Nokia is doing.

The response to that is too f'ing bad. Apple's revenue streams from iPods, iPhones, and Mobile Macs, combined, are larger than the total revenue of Nokia, by almost double actually.

To give you an idea of how pathetic they are, the guy says, "If you use the more common factor...unit sales"

Common? Who in business says its better to sell more things than to make money? What an idiot.
  • Reply 250 of 428
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Nokia does not .... sell Laptops.

Actually, they're now trying to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIHWM4liM2g

A seriously sad-ass product.
  • Reply 251 of 428
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Correct, and 90% of Flash implementation is utterly worthless.

Why are we even debating this BS? 75 Million iPhones/iPod touch. They don't give a good damn about Flash. I'd even wager that at least 40 million wouldn't even know what it was if you asked them.

I have to point out, Nintendo has balls to say they're "totally unimpressed" and "just a big iPod Touch." If that's true then its exactly what Nintendo should be worrying about considering the "small iPod touch" ruined their industry-long lead in mobile gaming.

Nintendo is losing to the iPhone OS, and now it just got kicked into overdrive.

Hulu, iPlayer, Facebook games, BBC NEWS, New York Times, Kotaku, Engadget, The Guardian etc etc. All rely on Flash. Are they all worthless?

As for bashing Nintendo, wow, you really are long lost to the Steve reality distortion field. Have you seen how many Nintendo DSs have been sold? And how many are STILL selling? I really don't think Nintendo are losing any sleep over iPhone OS gaming, at least not until you can give an iPod Touch to a small child and have him/her get lost for months in Pokemon, Zelda, or Professor Leyton.
  • Reply 252 of 428
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Hulu, iPlayer, Facebook games, BBC NEWS, New York Times, Kotaku, Engadget, The Guardian etc etc. All rely on Flash. Are they all worthless?

As for bashing Nintendo, wow, you really are long lost to the Steve reality distortion field. Have you seen how many Nintendo DSs have been sold? And how many are STILL selling? I really don't think Nintendo are losing any sleep over iPhone OS gaming, at least not until you can give an iPod Touch to a small child and have him/her get lost for months in Pokemon, Zelda, or Professor Leyton.

compare th touch and its great 4 dollar games to the ds and its 30 dollar games

ninendo is very scared

apple is the gaming platform of the future
  • Reply 253 of 428
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

You evidently have no idea what this is for. And I dont understand why you are even here.

Here is what happened - from an outsider's point of view .

A company releases a product.

Fans of company discuss the product, not all of them happy.

All very sane.

but then people like kotatsu - who dont have to buy the product, who doesnt even have to know about the product, who hate the company wich produced the product - are HOPPING MAD at the product even existing and expressing their hatred on the Web. Is this in any way sane?

Can anyone explain the HateBois?

Speaking of making assumptions, you make plenty about me which are spectacularly ignorant and untrue.

I've bought Apple products since the System 6 days, and although I haven't owned a Mac desktop for many years I currently own a MacBook, an iPhone, an Apple TV, and an Airport Extreme. I'd buy a 27" iMac if Apple ever bothered to put a modern optical drive in one, but as they never will I guess, I'll stick with my ancient PC.

Apple are an interesting company who have produced some innovative products, but lately they are, to my eyes, losing their way badly. My iPhone, for all it's good points, has been incredibly unreliable (I've had it replaced 4 times!), the current iPhone OS crashes far, far too often and feels very sluggish, the Apple TV is sadly something of a joke now, and now the iPad has a world of issues. I don't have to have used one to know that multi-tasking and flash are vital to a modern computer.

And I'd just like to add, watch the keynote, Jobs is VERY clear to state that if the iPad is not a better web browser than a LAPTOP, then it has no right ot exist. In what world is a browser without flash the best way to see the web? Maybe you live in some sort of wondeful fantasy HTML 5 universe where just about every web sight of note is not dripping with flash content. Jobs even thoughfully showed the whole world how vital flash was at the keynote, as he demonstrated how the New York Times and Nat Geo rely on flash to work properly.

As I've said before though I believe this push towards closed computing is a seriously bad thing for everyone in the long run. I just can't believe anyone would argue against that. Open is good, closed is bad, that's a universally accepted truth last time I checked. When I buy a computer (and despite your claims, Jobs again made it very clear iPad is a netbook/laptop class system) I expect to be able to install ANYTHING I want on it. Having big brother watching over me is not something I will ever want.
  • Reply 254 of 428
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

compare th touch and its great 4 dollar games to the ds and its 30 dollar games

ninendo is very scared

apple is the gaming platform of the future

Have you ever played a good DS game? They may look primative but the depth they offer is light years ahead of those throwaway iPhone games you seem to like. Seriously, go and play the latest DS Zelda game. Finish it, then come back and say there is anything on the iPhone that is even 10% as good. I bet you won't be able to.

Oh, and buttons kind of matter too. Kind of essential for gaming.
  • Reply 255 of 428
    Quote:

Oh and a quick question for those defending the iPad. If Apple ever re-engineered the Mac to only run Apple approved apps from a Mac iTunes store, would you still support Apple?

Serious question. It's the direction Apple are moving in, so it's not impossible to imagine that happening.

Yes, it's a great idea. But really it's Microsoft that should be doing this--you remember them, the company that thought the Internet would turn out to be a fad, so that network-related security was not something they felt important enough to include in their toy operating system.

To anyone that still pays good money for Windows (the Registry/DLL OS): a have a bridge for sale...
  • Reply 256 of 428
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Have you ever played a good DS game? They may look primative but the depth they offer is light years ahead of those throwaway iPhone games you seem to like. Seriously, go and play the latest DS Zelda game. Finish it, then come back and say there is anything on the iPhone that is even 10% as good. I bet you won't be able to.

Oh, and buttons kind of matter too. Kind of essential for gaming.

i play games all day

i never liked the ds that much but my kids love it

but when we go to the apple store they run to the pod touches and have fun

yes those throw away games are great eye candy but not for me either

but my kids can buy 6 games or more and at least 2 games will be keepers

and on a full screen ipod touch the kids have a lot more real estate a nd a much better video screen play back than the under powered DS

i also SAID future

i already play call of duty /halo/2142 ona mac

pretty good games

in the future EA and their ilk will spend 20 /30 million each and make some killer games for the apple platform's

one fantastic games that can sell to 3 or 4 different apple screens

EA will make a lot of money

one game R & D

3 platsform to sell too !!
  • Reply 257 of 428
    Quote:

It's not dishonest. It was completely true. You just have to listen better than (Nokia) a 3rd grader, to understand what was said

I'll be the first to admit I'm bad at finding fiscal data for Apple (couldn't see a product based layout on Apple's site), but according to:

http://www.betanews.com/joewilcox/ar...fit/1255985794

Portables = 2,78 B USD

iPods = 1,56 B USD

iPhones = 2,3 B USD

That by the computer's calculator is 6.64 B USD. That's a bit less than 8.46 B EUR. This is according to the SEC filing.

But like I said, I'm no accountant so I don't know why these numbers don't add up.

But if the SEC numbers (and betanews reporting) are the real comparative numbers, then what?

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 258 of 428
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dsect View Post

Yes, it's a great idea. But really it's Microsoft that should be doing this--you remember them, the company that thought the Internet would turn out to be a fad, so that network-related security was not something they felt important enough to include in their toy operating system.

To anyone that still pays good money for Windows (the Registry/DLL OS): a have a bridge for sale...

And Steve Jobs said nobody would want to watch video on an iPod, and nobody reads anymore.

Your point?
  • Reply 259 of 428
    Apple trusted Microsoft to develop Word and Excel for the Macintosh before it was released...

Microsoft quickly copied what they could to create Winblows 1.0 and started selling it in Asia.

Now they are claiming that Apple is not open with the iPad?

Someone should tell them what to go do with themselves.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 260 of 428
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

To call iPad "not open" like that MS guy did is foolish. 140 000 aps is not "closed"

Don't be ridiculous! Of course the iPhone (and the iPod) are closed. Just because there are 100,000 apps doesn't make it not closed! Apple decides what apps go in and what doesn't. Not you. Apple decides what types of apps get in. You don't. A cage is still a cage, no matter how gilded!