Best remark about iPad so far...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArticulatedArm View Post

You sure you don't have all that backwards?

Are you sure you don't have all that backwards?

I can't say that the iPad is going to be a huge hit. I can say that claiming it's already some kind of fiasco is absolute, grade A bullshit. But, you know whatever lets you sleep at night.

I can also look at Apple's track record with devices like this and make an informed guess as to how they'll manage the roll out, how developers will take to it, what a great many apps written specifically for this device will do for its desirability, the abrupt change in tone once it gets released and people start using it, and the steady succession of OS updates that will add functionality to current owners and luster to its reputation.

But probably because 12 year old boys snigger at "iPad" it will fail utterly.
  • Reply 22 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wil View Post

And the end result is what?? That it's going to fail? Let me remind you sir, that the iMac before it was released in the public was called a joke and a last gasp by a dying company. The iPod was ridiculed to death and the famous quote in regards to the iPod by Cmdr Taco was viewed by many of the tech geeks as a perfect statement in regards to Apple's foolishness. Oh, btw, how about the iPhone?? EDGE, Inferior camera , does not use flash, no physical keyboard and has ATT as it's provider and many experts predicted that Apple will finally going to get it's ass kicked for very good reasons. And how did those predictions go by the way when the product was released to the general public ?? The problem with tech geeks and spec geeks is this, they assume too much on what they want on the gadgets instead of what ordinary people want or what the company have in mind. Let the market and the consumers decide, Jobs and Apple are big boys, they can handle it.

I don't remember those other products being panned like the iPad.. they didn't have the hype or visibility the iPad has... so they couldn't have the level of scrutiny.

And those products were different than past products. One of the things that makes the iPad such a flop is that it is so similar to the iPhone AND yet was so incredibly hyped. This combination is a recipe for disaster.. just like the Segway.
  • Reply 23 of 102
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    Quote:

I don't remember those other products being panned like the iPad.. they didn't have the hype or visibility the iPad has... so they couldn't have the level of scrutiny.

And those products were different than past products. One of the things that makes the iPad such a flop is that it is so similar to the iPhone AND yet was so incredibly hyped. This combination is a recipe for disaster.. just like the Segway.

And how's the sales numbers of the iPad this past few days ?? Oh, I forgot, the actual finished and shipping product would not be released until the end of March and they are not doing pre-orders and therefore there are no sale numbers available. And yet here you are, already proclaiming it as a financial disaster for Apple and a massive flop.

Articulated Arm , those products were different than past products bullshit does not apply to Apple. It never was since the second return of Jobs. Every hardware or OS X upgrades that Apple released or rumored to release were over hyped by the media and Apple supporters and fans and it's either a hit or a miss with no middle ground to be had. Heck the reason why there is a Temporary Insanity forum in Apple Insider is because many Apple fans and Mac users checked out their brains on days when there was an Apple or Macworld event and flooded every forum with their angst , rage, anger and proclamations of Apple and Jobs screwing it's customers. What you are doing is nothing new.
  • Reply 24 of 102
    Another problem the iPad has is that it isn't that different than the other tablets coming out. It's a lot like the others and unlike the iPhone it doesn't offer enough different capabilities to really differentiate it. This is the mistake Apple made by waiting so long to come out with it AND not making it innovative enough. It's as if they are trying to copy the success of the iPhone BUT they are just coming out with a bigger iPhone rather than doing what the iPhone did -- provide a much different product than everyone else.. All Apple has done is to provide the same product as everyone else.. after having it massively over hyped.
  • Reply 25 of 102
    Quote:

Another problem the iPad has is that it isn't that different than the other tablets coming out. It's a lot like the others and unlike the iPhone it doesn't offer enough different capabilities to really differentiate it. This is the mistake Apple made by waiting so long to come out with it AND not making it innovative enough. It's as if they are trying to copy the success of the iPhone BUT they are just coming out with a bigger iPhone rather than doing what the iPhone did -- provide a much different product than everyone else.. All Apple has done is to provide the same product as everyone else.. after having it massively over hyped.

Yeah. The tablet you've never seen and know just a bit about is definitely no different from some other tablets you've never seen and know nothing about.

You should try a little harder.
  • Reply 26 of 102
    Quote:

and know just a bit about

Know just a bit about? I watched a 2 hour video all about the iPad.. and have researched it heavily.. as I have ALL the tablets.

You could try to convince me by telling me what the iPad does differently than the iPhone.. but you didn't/couldn't.. that speaks volumes.
  • Reply 27 of 102
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Quick question, have you used it in the real world ? Because unless you do, there is no point in arguing over a pre release product . Can I compare it with another tablet side by side or are we just going to argue about it's pre release tech specs ?

Articulated Arm, there's no point in innovating if you don't know what the hell you going into and second why would Apple care about your timetable, to them, the only thing that's important are theirs.

Look if you an iPad that have a 60 hexaquad of storage drive, with a form factor thinner than a piece of paper, with a camera that is a combination of still,video and 3D holographic projector , with a nano battery powerful enough to power a star ship but safe for living things and a battery life that will last for a thousand years between charges. An OLED display that can expand to 36 inches or contract to a mere 4 inches with a 6144 x 4320 hyper resolution . Multiple ports so a user can connect the device to any computer, gadget or appliance in existence. If you are not happy with that, an intelligent AI who can manifest itself through a hologram and she/he can be in a solid form when required and runs on OS X or OS XXI and cost only a hundred bucks. That to me is your dream iPad.

As for your research, you can research as long as you want comparing product A to product B to Z. But in the end , the rest of the world will buy or not buy it based on it's merits and the consumer's needs after they held the device, played with it and used it after it's release and not through some tech guy who researched the unreleased product on the web months before the product is released to the public.

You see, Articulated Arm , while I wish for all those things, as an amateur photographer, my need for an iPad with a camera dongle is to see my pictures on a large screen with my friends before I transfer them to my iMac or delete them. As a nurse , it will be useful to me as a resource, reviewing EKG strips with a much larger display or using Epocrates without squinting . I don't need Flash, I don't need a camera and I certainly don't care about multitasking . All I care about is that thing work as advertise every time I have to use it . Is that simple enough for you?
  • Reply 28 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yeah. The tablet you've never seen and know just a bit about is definitely no different from some other tablets you've never seen and know nothing about.

You should try a little harder.

God no, please don't ask him to do that. He might break something.
  • Reply 29 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

God no, please don't ask him to do that. He might break something.

Thanks Doc, I needed a laugh.

I'm experiencing "seemingly endless influx of the smirky and half-bright" fatigue.
  • Reply 30 of 102
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    Quote:

You could try to convince me by telling me what the iPad does differently than the iPhone.. but you didn't/couldn't.. that speaks volumes.

Hi- thought I'd pop in at this point-

What does the iPad do differently than the iPhone?

It gives freedom.

Bear with me here. The included software doesn't change very much from one device to the other. What you have to take into account is that the iPhone's capability is hampered by it's size. It's basically got a lot of the MacBook's media-consumption power and a little of it's media-creation power. However the small screen restricts what it can do.

The iPad is the answer to that. It gives you the larger screen and thus more software functionality, freeing you from the confines of the PDA-style form factor. This thing is a pocket computer on steroids. You aren't going to see the real difference between the two products until the App Store comes into play.
  • Reply 31 of 102
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The iPad is a new category of computer, as is pitched. I have a name for it. You know the way a laptop or a desktop is a personal computer? I call the iPad a "casual" computer.
  • Reply 32 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

But probably because 12 year old boys snigger at "iPad" it will fail utterly.

The whole world sniggered at "Wii" before they bought one.
  • Reply 33 of 102
    I think the reality of it is that what made the iPhone so great was that it was MORE than a phone.. it was a true full fledged computer.. which made it incredibly expensive but incredibly UNIQUE among other phones. The iPad doesn't meet this.. it;s just like any other tablet PC. If anything because of the lack of multitasking it is LESS than other tablet PCs.
  • Reply 34 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The iPad is a new category of computer, as is pitched. I have a name for it. You know the way a laptop or a desktop is a personal computer? I call the iPad a "casual" computer.

A little TOO casual though.. and too expensive. This is why it is likely relegated to a rich persons toy.

It would have been smart to give it a lot more utility by designing it to be a peripheral for your main PC. In the current economic climate it would have made a lot more sense.

I wonder if the iPad is so underwhelming BECAUSE of the economic climate though? Maybe this is why they had it lacking features and so low priced relative to other Mac devices.
  • Reply 35 of 102
    Quote:

A little TOO casual though.. and too expensive. This is why it is likely relegated to a rich persons toy.

The amount of people who just watch YouTube, do e-mail, do Twitter, check Facebook, surf the web and play games and videos out there is astounding. Not to mention this thing also has iWork. I predict the main reason this becomes huge is not because of rich people, but because regular people see themselves getting away with this as their only computer. If you look at it as your only computer then it doesn't seem that expensive. And its functionality is only going to improve. Just look at the iPhone then and now.

Also, when text books become available this tablet has the opportunity to double as a useful tool for school. And could lighten a kids school bag to boot.

As far as I'm concerned the potential for iPad as a product--this year even--far outweighs its drawbacks, and as such it well sell very well. I'm stickling with my prediction of 15-20M units this year. Although given it won't be available worldwide properly until later in the year I could be allowed to stretch that into next summer.
  • Reply 36 of 102
    Quote:

I think the reality of it is that what made the iPhone so great was that it was MORE than a phone.. it was a true full fledged computer.. which made it incredibly expensive but incredibly UNIQUE among other phones. The iPad doesn't meet this.. it;s just like any other tablet PC. If anything because of the lack of multitasking it is LESS than other tablet PCs.

It won't stop, will it?

While people bashed the MacBook Air, its users were accomplishing great things. The same for the iPhone (for example, the cover of a major magazine was created on one), and it will be the same for the iPad.
  • Reply 37 of 102
    I think another reason the iPad and Segway are so comparable is because they are both luxury items that don't fill a need.

I think what Apple should have done was to make 2 devices.. one like the current iPad though maybe a little smaller and a little less featured.. ANd they should have had one that was as powerful as an actual laptop.

This way you could have filled 2 niches. The smaller one could have been a super iPhone for someone that didn't already have an iPhone..and had a laptop already. the larger one could have been for people that had an iPhone but didn't want a laptop and used this instead.

The reason I feel this way is because the only room for a device like this is with rich people.. these are the only people that will buy an iPhone, iPad, laptop and desktop. Not even well off people will buy all those things.. just rich people.

If they had made 2 devices, AND/OR allowed it to be used as a peripheral, they would have had a real winner on their hands
  • Reply 38 of 102
    Quote:

I think another reason the iPad and Segway are so comparable is because they are both luxury items that don't fill a need.

Those products are incomparable. First off $499 isn't a crazy amount of money. Secondly the iPad can change and grow as a product over time, via imaginative new third party apps and via software updates.

The segway is a slow motorbike that costs $4,000.
  • Reply 39 of 102
    But the reason it fits with the Segway is because only rich people could afford to buy a car and a Segway.. the Segway doesn't fill the need of someone that needs a car.. so to buy one you need to be rich. It's the same thing with the iPad.. UNLESS you have some real burning need for an iPad.. which few do.. then ONLY rich people will buy it because otherwise they would buy other devices.. LIKE a laptop and/or an iPhone.

Yeah.. in the future it may be cheaper.. BUT.. I still think someone would buy a tablet that functioned as a laptop over the iPad before they bought the iPad.. UNLESS they were rich. So it really doesn't fill a need... UNLESS you are rich... because the need is so small VERSUS the usefulness and cost.

Also.. only rich people can afford the wireless fees. Without the wireless then the product is really hamstrung.
  • Reply 40 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Apple didn't hype it. Everybody does that for them.

I think the iPad is a very interesting device and will really change people's perceptions of portable devices. Most people have a hard time thinking outside the box, though, so until they play with it they won't realize its power.

The first Macs were met with tremendous skepticism: why do I need a mouse? And such. A few years later, everybody had a mouse or two or three.

The iPad will change things that we can't imagine.

Asked my local shop yesterday to get me one as soon as they are available. They already had five pre-orders and Apple's Japan website hadn't been updated for the iPad yet.

thing is, at the time a mouse was somehting never ever seen before by the public and completley different.

theres nothing revolutionary or innovative about the ipad1.0

by the time version 5.0 comes out, it may well satsify folks looking for productivity, but for now, apple are squarely aiming this device as an additional revenue stream for itunes..nothing more.

the ipad1.0 was all about adressing apple's needs ( ie to make itunes truley profitable ). maybe in the future steve wozniak might have a go at designing a tablet and show apple what it *could* have designed to increase productivity!