Steve Jobs: iPad to offer Word support, $10 eBooks, 6 days of music

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 159
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Which makes it virtually impossible to calculate its market share, and any one claiming to know the share is just guessing.

Not really. There are ways of doing this.
  • Reply 142 of 159
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post

In order for iWork=MS Office, it would have to have 100 percent compatibility. It DOES NOT. Almost every .doc file I open in Pages contains some formatting error. Yet is will open the document but I don't want to work on an important document or even something like a resume and guess and hope that it will open and look the same in Word. My experience has shown otherwise. The reason is that iWork does not SAVE in Word format. It EXPORTS the file to word format (or powerpoint, or excel) using third party translators built into the program. These translators as not 100 percent compatible. Excel is even worse and forget powerpoint. IF you want and need compatibility (100 percent), then you must use Office. I have both iWork and Office and they are not completely compatible. Therefore, until there is a 100 percent substitute or until businesses adopt another standard, I invest in Office for the Mac.

Also iWork DOES NOT support the latest file formats for Office period. It won't even open .docx files or the latest ppt, or excel files from the latest versions of Mac and PC. This is NOT a substitute. I'm glad it works for you but for businesses iWork being substituted for Office is a JOKE. Please note, I like using iWork for somethings but unless Apple pays licensing fee's to Microsoft for IT'S file translators, it will NEVER be competition for it.

The docx, xlsx and others like that which are new to Office is Microsoft's way to make things uncompatible again. You should save in the older file extensions which are compatible.
  • Reply 143 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

The docx, xlsx and others like that which are new to Office is Microsoft's way to make things uncompatible again. You should save in the older file extensions which are compatible.

I should and I do when I'm going to share things with other people. A lot of people don't even have the latest versions. However, the point is, what if a colleague send sends me a docx document. If all I have is Pages I cannot open it!
  • Reply 144 of 159
    Quote:

I should and I do when I'm going to share things with other people. A lot of people don't even have the latest versions. However, the point is, what if a colleague send sends me a docx document. If all I have is Pages I cannot open it!

I thought Microsoft lost a lawsuit and needs to change the file format before it can sell any more copies of Word. Pretty sure they were going to switch to XML or some open format. That would solve the problem.

Check out my Facebook fan page: http://theIPADisAwesome.com
  • Reply 145 of 159
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Quote:

Google Docs will convert them.
  • Reply 146 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Not really. LCD screens use very little power, even IPS. Passive matrix LCd's use less power, but no one uses them for serious displays. Most of the power is in the backlight.

I agree. Case in point: my Palm PDA. I'm using an old Palm m515 PDA. It is one of those models where you can turn off the backlight without shutting off the device (and a "transflective" screen that looks good in bright light without the backlight.) I get about 5-6 hours of active battery life when the light is on. I get 2-3 days with the light turned off.

Unfortunately, I don't think the transflective tech used by Palm can scale up to high resolution displays, so a modern device is probably always going to need a backlight. Still, new backlight technologies (LCD vs. CCF, etc.) has gone a long way to improving battery life.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by astroturf1 View Post

No, you can send it in, there is quite an industry building up around changing iBatteries. Just google iPod or iPhone battery replacement.

You can also do it yourself if you're comfortable with small tools. If the iPad procedure is anything like the iPhone 3G procedure, I don't think it will be that difficult.

I've done battery replacements in iPod Classics and an old iPod mini. Time consuming and a little tricky, but not hard to do. As long as the battery isn't soldered down, replacement really isn't hard for anyone with patience and a steady hand.
  • Reply 147 of 159
    Quote:

Apple did license the latest Word Doc format from MS. I know that. But then, MS was trying to pull a fast one by modifying the agreed upon standard for XML precisely so that it would be Office specific. They don't want companies to use open formats that everyone can use. When that happens, their Office monopoly begins to unravel, and they know it. They tried that with Java too, several years ago, and Sun squashed them in court over it. but they keep trying this garbage.

MS also made it impossible for older versions to read their latest XML docs. There had been a lot of pressure to fix that, but MS resisted because they want people to upgrade.

Don't just blame iWork. Look to MS's policies. That's where the problem lies.
  • Reply 148 of 159
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Traqqer7777 View Post

Good. I completely agree that compatibility with Word is necessary.

it's a built in feature of Pages. not a shock it would be in this ipad version
  • Reply 149 of 159
    I would have thought that Steve & Co. would have learned from the complaints & slow sells of the ATV due to extremely small storage but from the pathetically small 16 GB - 64BG Max storage capabilities of the ipad I guess they didn't. Yea, you might get 6 days of music storage but then where are you going to store several ebooks or a 1/2 dozen movies for that long trip.
  • Reply 150 of 159
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    What about the HP financial calculators which are available in the APP store, imagine a ten inch HP-41CX...

...an accountant's wet dream.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

As an accountant and I am sure for millions of other business people- no Excel app - 100%, NO deal.

• Reply 151 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lancelot9201 View Post

I would have thought that Steve & Co. would have learned from the complaints & slow sells of the ATV due to extremely small storage but from the pathetically small 16 GB - 64BG Max storage capabilities of the ipad I guess they didn't. Yea, you might get 6 days of music storage but then where are you going to store several ebooks or a 1/2 dozen movies for that long trip.

I suppose they should have started this at 32 GB at $599 instead, and worked up to $999 for 128 with 8 hours of battery life. Would you have been happier then?
  • Reply 152 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I suppose they should have started this at 32 GB at $599 instead, and worked up to $999 for 128 with 8 hours of battery life. Would you have been happier then?

Little doubt, he would have complained about the price.
  • Reply 153 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Little doubt, he would have complained about the price.

I'm sure.
  • Reply 154 of 159
    That iWork apps have done this since day 1. Walt acted like using iWork at WSJ was a no-go and why make it worse by buying an iPad and iWork.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It was posted right after the keynote that it will natively view DOX, DOCX, PPT and XLS files. Perhaps before Mossberg would have had time to see it but certainly not before some posters here started crying foul.

• Reply 155 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lancelot9201 View Post

eBooks are tiny compared to music and video. Even audiobooks are just large-ish MP3s or AACs, roughly 10 mb per hour.

The 16-64 GB limits are likely what they could muster for flash memory at reasonable prices. Remember, classic iPods and aTV still run hard drives. 256 SSD would have pushed the iPad prices way past reasonable. They had to make the basic iPad twice the cost of a basic touch and half the cost of a basic notebook. It's a great slot to slide into.

The 6 days is about the battery lasting long enough to let the thing sit and play music with the screen dark, not about how much music goes on any given model.
  • Reply 156 of 159
    Office would be nice, but how about Flash first?

The iPad wouldn't have been able to display the linked video in this thread. That wouldn't be the best web browsing experience I've ever had, it would be a terrible one.
  • Reply 157 of 159
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astroturf1 View Post

I don't think I am overstating the issue. You don't have to send something in because the battery is dead (though this happened to me after a year and a couple of months with my iPhone). If I can't get through a flight from Seattle to LA listening to music, I am sending the iPod in for battery replacement. You could buy battery packs to compensate for lack of capacity, but then you loose some of the appeal of your slickly designed iSomething.....

How far is the nearest Apple Store? Your iPod battery replacement should only require an appointment there and a quick pop-in pop-out visit.

So unless you live way out in the sticks, your comment about waiting a few weeks was definitely an overstatement. If you DO live in the sticks... well then, that's kind of the way it goes for lots of things, right?

Thompson
  • Reply 158 of 159
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Office would be nice, but how about Flash first?

The iPad wouldn't have been able to display the linked video in this thread. That wouldn't be the best web browsing experience I've ever had, it would be a terrible one.

Flash is the primary reason why web browsers are slow, consume all available memory and crash all the time. Apple knows this (from all the crash-reports they get sent) and doesn't want to poison new platforms with that mess.

If Apple would include (or even permit) Flash on the iPhone/iPad, your battery life would go way down and it would crash all the time. And people would blame Apple for making a lousy product. And a response of "it's Adobe's fault" wouldn't satisfy anybody.