What else?

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Did SJ or anyone discuss anything besides the iPad?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Did SJ or anyone discuss anything besides the iPad?

Nope, iPad, iPad, iPad and fade to black.

It seems odd that they've updated nothing. They probably have the whole world watching them right now and no new or updated products to sell. The iPad itself isn't coming out for 2 months.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It seems odd that they've updated nothing. They probably have the whole world watching them right now and no new or updated products to sell. The iPad itself isn't coming out for 2 months.

Yes, that is surprising. As you said, 'with the whole world watching', that would have been the perfect time to add 'and more thing'.

Do you know when the next media event will be?
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Do you know when the next media event will be?

I don't think there needs to be another event before WWDC. No reason for any product redesigns so those can get bumped at any time without an event - Apple have taken a liking to unexpectedly closing the store and updating products.

Core i5 chips are out there and perform very well:

http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=3705&p=3

Significant improvement over Core 2 Duo. The issue really is the state of the GPU as Apple are forced to drop a dedicated GPU into every model or downgrade users from what they are used to with the Nvidia chips.

I think it's a good idea to let the iPad thing trail out a bit but maybe next week or the week after have updated laptops, possibly the Mini after that. The iMac is already on Core i5/i7 so that's fine for now. The we get the iPad in March and Mac Pro in April
  • Reply 4 of 21
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Despite talk of "just a big iPod Touch", and think the iPad is an incredibly important product for Apple, and they didn't want the rollout to share the stage with any distractions.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

That made me laugh.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Despite talk of "just a big iPod Touch", and think the iPad is an incredibly important product for Apple, and they didn't want the rollout to share the stage with any distractions.

Yeah, the trouble with calling it a large iPod touch is the fact that when things are bigger they are not merely bigger. "A Jeep is a big car", etc. This is not only a big iPod touch, it is a different device. It's more powerful, faster and in this internet age we're in it would end up being the "internet appliance" a lot of people buy. A sort of "one-per-home" if you get me.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah, the trouble with calling it a large iPod touch is the fact that when things are bigger they are not merely bigger. "A Jeep is a big car", etc. This is not only a big iPod touch, it is a different device. It's more powerful, faster and in this internet age we're in it would end up being the "internet appliance" a lot of people buy. A sort of "one-per-home" if you get me.

Whoa..... jump back. You sound like you're on board?
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:

Whoa..... jump back. You sound like you're on board?

No, I'm not buying until version 2 at least, but I can see a lot of non-geeks buying these things up like wildfire actually.

I predict 18 million units this year.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

I predict 18 million units this year.

Not even close. This device will not be anywhere near as popular as the iphone.

When the iphone 4G hits in July with a 1GHz CPU, 512MB RAM, semi-multitasking OS 4 and IPS screen, the iPad will be an afterthought.

I think as far as ebook readers go, it will be quite popular but I'd say more like 4 million in the first year at best. The PS3 only sold a few million in the first year and I regard the iPad as the PS3 of the ebook market.

I actually like reading books on my iphone. I think Stanza is an amazing app so I certainly wouldn't get an iPad for the books.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

Not even close. This device will not be anywhere near as popular as the iphone.

When the iphone 4G hits in July with a 1GHz CPU, 512MB RAM, semi-multitasking OS 4 and IPS screen, the iPad will be an afterthought.

The iPhone is a phone. I predict non-geeks, teens and older people getting these as their only personal computer. On the teens front though, Apple needs to introduce background app capabilities for chat apps, twitter apps and radio apps. Even that would be enough.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Not sure if this is the right topic for this, but everyone I've talked with at uni about the iPad has basically responded "I already have a iPhone/iTouch/laptop, it (the Pad) looks like a neat toy, but what do I need it for that I don't already have?". So the youth/college age market that Apple generally relies on will be a tough sell, at least from my anecdotal evidence.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

The iPhone is a phone. I predict non-geeks, teens and older people getting these as their only personal computer. On the teens front though, Apple needs to introduce background app capabilities for chat apps, twitter apps and radio apps. Even that would be enough.

Wow, Ireland, the resolution to the Great Tablet Wait has made you all sensible and forthright and shit. I, for one, welcome our new clear eyed brother.

However, if I hear you start in on the inevitability of an Apple branded TV, I swear to God I'm coming over there and giving you a smack.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Nurses, Doctors,Paramedics,Teachers,Businessmen and Women, Photographers and other creative artists are some of those who will use the iPad. It's not for everybody .
  • Reply 14 of 21
    I get the sense the iPad may be as popular as the MacBook Air, maybe slightly more, but not by much.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    was really hoping they would have made a statement about the macbook pros.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wil View Post

Nurses, Doctors,Paramedics,Teachers,Businessmen and Women, Photographers and other creative artists are some of those who will use the iPad. It's not for everybody .

im a photographer. the only possible use the ipad offers me is to play flight control on a bigger screen. it has no means of putting my pictures in there in the field and not designed for productivity. I am also in the medical field and none of my doctor friends and collegues can find a use for the ipad in it's current iteration.

people need to stop thinking of the ipad as a computer and treat it as a mobile entertainment device. it isn't designed for productivity, but i so hope it will be someday.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluefox9er View Post

... and none of my ... friends and collegues can find a use for the ipad in it's current iteration...

Agreed, right now it's just an oversized iPod... but give it a year and see what third parties come up with for it. The iPhone/iPod Touch isn't a rock-star because of the Apple Apps... it's the 3rd party stuff that came along later that really makes them shine!
  • Reply 18 of 21
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluefox9er View Post

im a photographer. the only possible use the ipad offers me is to play flight control on a bigger screen. it has no means of putting my pictures in there in the field and not designed for productivity. I am also in the medical field and none of my doctor friends and collegues can find a use for the ipad in it's current iteration.

people need to stop thinking of the ipad as a computer and treat it as a mobile entertainment device. it isn't designed for productivity, but i so hope it will be someday.

Not yet, remember when the first iPhone came out ?? Epocrates did not show up until 1 or 2 later and then other medical apps followed. Heck, I'm a nurse and we are using our iPhones as a resource . As an amateur photographer , I could transfer the photos I took from my DSLR to the iPad using the camera dongle, saving me from bringing my trusty laptop along with my camera gear. Let's wait and see when Apple releases the iPad to the public at the end of March. We might find uses for the iPad.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCreate View Post

I get the sense the iPad may be as popular as the MacBook Air, maybe slightly more, but not by much.

Given the price it will be way more popular.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Wow, Ireland, the resolution to the Great Tablet Wait has made you all sensible and forthright and shit. I, for one, welcome our new clear eyed brother.

However, if I hear you start in on the inevitability of an Apple branded TV, I swear to God I'm coming over there and giving you a smack.

Let's do this.