iPad appears at Grammys, hospitals eye Apple's new hardware

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
As hospitals look at potential applications for Apple's newly announced iPad, the hardware made an appearance with comedian Stephen Colbert at Sunday's 52nd Grammy Awards.

Hospitals curious about Apple iPad

According to The Sacramento Bee, some hospitals are experimenting with tablet-style computers, and Apple's iPad is now on their radar. It quoted an official with nonprofit managed care organization Kaiser Permanente who said tablet computers could help doctors and nurses spend more time with patients.

In a San Francisco-based program dubbed "Destination Bedside," officials hope to provide superior care by giving hospital workers tablets that would provide X-rays, charts, prescriptions and notes all on one device at the tap of the finger. The company expects to settle on one tablet for company-wide distribution later this year.

And in the running is Apple's iPad, thanks in part to the popularity of the iPhone. But until the iPad can be tested for real-world use in the hospitals, officials are keeping their options open. One touchscreen device called the Motion C5, controlled by a stylus, has been in trial.

Dr. Javeed Siddiqui, associate medical director for the Center for Health and Technology at UC Davis Medical Center, told the Bee he's excited by the potential the iPad offers for the medical industry.

"It's portable and it's lightweight," he said. "It has touch screen, a Web browser -- and all those features can be utilized as a way to integrate technology in patient care."

The real potential for the iPad in the medical field will lie in the ability to write custom applications for the hardware. In addition to a number of bundled applications, the iPad will have access to Apple's App Store, which now offers more than 140,000 different options.

Health care workers excited about the possibilities won't have to wait long for Apple's iPad. The Wi-Fi only version, starting at $499, is expected to ship by the end of March. The 3G-enabled version, which carries a $130 premium, should arrive a month later.

Real iPad appears at Grammy Awards

When introducing the nominees for "Song of the Year" at the Grammys, Colbert jokingly searched his pockets and looked around, acting as if he had misplaced his list.

"Where's the list? Oh, I know," he said. "It's on my iPad."

Colbert then reached under his jacket and pulled out a fully functional iPad. The device even rotated its orientation as the comedian held it in his right hand, above his shoulder, displaying the Apple device to the audience. Its appearance garnered cheers and laughter from the crowd.

"Jay-Z, did you not get one of these in your gift bag?" Colbert joked. "Am I cooler than you?"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    best.productplacement.ever.
  • Reply 2 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Re: Colbert - That looked like the real thing too!
  • Reply 3 of 90
    A brilliant plug for Apple, with a bit of standard (and lovable) Colbert corniness thrown in.
  • Reply 4 of 90
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Will the touch interface work through rubber gloves?
  • Reply 5 of 90
    Colbert is such a wonderful Apple nerd! I seriously would not be surprised if he was on this message board somewhere. *looks at all of you suspiciously*
  • Reply 6 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Re: Colbert - That looked like the real thing too!

It certainly was functioning... the screen rotated a couple of times as he moved it through the air.

Awesome placement and the iPad looked awesome. It even fit in his pocket!
  • Reply 7 of 90
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

My guess would be yes. I tried it on my iPhone and it works just fine.
  • Reply 8 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Non-issue. Doctors are currently hauling laptops from patient to patient which is kinda disgusting, from my POV. The iPad is a smooth surface and could be cleaned very easily... however it would invite more jokes about sanitary iPads.
  • Reply 9 of 90
    Which other computer device company has had so much appeal and gets free publicity for a product that has not been launched.

To non-apple people, understand you may not like company and its products, but you have to respect what the company has achieved in last 15 years and the innovation it has added to the world.

If not down with that, I got two words for your ............. :-)
  • Reply 10 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Which other computer device company has had so much appeal and gets free publicity for a product that has not been launched.

To non-apple people, understand you may not like company and its products, but you have to respect what the company has achieved in last 15 years and the innovation it has added to the world.

If not down with that, I got two words for your ............. :-)

The iPad would be great for hospitals as soon as the new bed pan app is released.
  • Reply 11 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The iPad would be great for hospitals as soon as the new bed pan app is released.

I know you believe you are funny, but trust me YOU ARE still not funny
  • Reply 12 of 90
    Quote:

I know you believe you are funny, but trust me YOU ARE still not funny

No really that was funny.
  • Reply 13 of 90
    Quote:

Which other computer device company has had so much appeal and gets free publicity for a product that has not been launched.)

It's cute that you think that it's free publicity
  • Reply 14 of 90
    Quote:

The real potential for the iPad in the medical field will lie in the ability to write custom applications for the hardware.

In other words, they want to be able to run their own software without having to go through the App Store and giving up trade secrets in the process.

Also they will need a Finder App for file browsing.

Another big problem is the touch screen gets very greasy from human oils and needs constant cleaning. The hands don't have any pores so necessary oils are gotten from other parts of the body in a natural process of wiping.

(this is why the Mighty Mouse scroll ball and roller wheels would get gunked up and fail)

If your wearing a lot of clothes, like in winter, your hands get dried out and then one tends to use lotion, which also messes up the iPad's touch screen.

So a stylus might actually be the best thing than touching the screen in high volume locations.
  • Reply 15 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

In other words, they want to be able to run their own software without having to go through the App Store and giving up trade secrets in the process.

Another big problem is the touch screen gets very greasy from human oils and needs constant cleaning. The hands don't have any pores so necessary oils are gotten from other parts of the body in a natural process of wiping.

(this is why the Mighty Mouse scroll ball and roller wheels would get gunked up and fail)

If your wearing a lot of clothes, like in winter, your hands get dried out and then one tends to use lotion, which also messes up the iPad's touch screen.

So a stylus might actually be the best thing than touching the screen in high volume locations.

Why will they need a Finder app?? Apps on the iPad have a self contained file system. Meaning whatever file you want to access you retrieve through the corresponding application.. You want to open a pages file you open up pages and voila..
  • Reply 16 of 90
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    My doctor has been using Tablet PCs for several years. They use a stylus, and have a huge 12" screen. I imagine they are very clunky to use. The screen quality is terrible. I also imagine they cost much, much more than $499.
  • Reply 17 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

If you ever worked at a hospital, the lotion is removed within seconds, since you are constantly washing your hands. I very much doubt there will have issues with the screens due to oily/greasy hands.
  • Reply 18 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

No really that was funny.

Yes
  • Reply 19 of 90
    I was impressed that Colbert was able to pull out a fully functioning iPad from a custom made Tuxedo pocket. I had no idea he had it on him. It seemed almost like a magic trick. Can you imagine all the clothing designers rushing to their drawing boards trying to come up with new coats and jackets that could hold an IPad as smoothly as Colbert's did. Another business created and the device is not even on the store shelves.

For doctors in hospitals, they would have their stethoscope in their already large pocket on one side and their iPad on the other. Get ready for a new doctor look.
  • Reply 20 of 90
    why would a tablet computer used by a hospital need a finder/file system. The data they access isn't going to be on the tablet, but rather on a server or servers the network.