Steve Jobs disparages Google, Adobe at company meeting - reports

Comments

• Reply 81 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't understand that. The fallacy about screen size is that it's not just about screen size, it's also about distance. HD video looks a lot better than SD on 15" notebook computer, because it's right in front of you at arm's length.

It's also about what the screen is capable of showing.

For instance 1080i has a pixel resolution of 1920×1080, but a lot of Apple's laptops can't show this much quantity. My 15" MBP can only show 1440x900.

When I had my 30" PM and a *cough* special cable input cards, the HD content was displayed in full quality at full resolution without scaling up or down AND my face was about 3 feet from the screen.

Talk about image quality!, I swear it felt like I was actually there.
  • Reply 82 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

"Next iPhone coming is an A+ update."

I wonder if that means an Apple ARM chip or just an odd paraphrasing.

"New Macs for 2010 are going to take Apple to the next level."

I hope that finally means the removal of the optical drive from notebooks.

Even with Flash 10.1 coming to mobile platforms sometime this year the ability to play videos will still be an issue. Taking all bets on how long before Hulu announces the transition to HTML5 and/or offers app for mobile apps stores.

I can guarantee you Apple will put it's own chip into the next iPhone, iPod Touch and AppleTV.

Maybe even the iPod nano and iPod classic as well as Airport and Time Capsules.

Their chips integrate CPU, GPU and a memory controller all on a single chip.

This gives Apple tighter integration and lowers licensing and supply costs.
  • Reply 83 of 247
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I totally agree with you here. I was sorely disappointed to see the new iMac line not offer Blu-ray support. Unfortunately, we seem to be in the minority here and you won't find much support from many of the members here on AI.

These comments bother me since the support that is wanted is focused on a particular machine, not the OS. Adding a Blu-ray player to a Mac does nothing. You'll still need Windows if you want to play a BRD.

The very first thing Apple will need to do is add AACS support to the OS. That would allow even the MBA playback BRD with an attached drive.

I think they'll add the OS support, but only after they feel digitally streaming media has a large enough jump over Blu-ray in the home theater department.
  • Reply 84 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I don't know if you created this but it's so not funny.

I don't mean that in the sense that i'm offended, but in the sense of actual criticism of the humour (or lack of it) involved. The list of items is irrelevant to both products, the date of the "stone" is off by about 39,900 years or so, and it's just inaccurate in any case. The stone can't "multi-task" at all, and the iPad actually can. To be funny it would have to be kind of ironically true in some sense, and this just isn't.

I beg to differ - a stone can multitask (in capable hands) ... ))
  • Reply 85 of 247
    It's all about bandwidth. As the lanes get bigger physical mediums will fall off the face of the earth. You'll have your one central hub, which, we used to call a desktop computer, and the cloud, aka, the internet. The hub and "cloud" will integrate with your personal(ized) computing device. Files you don't want public will be on the Hub and so forth. Integration will be as easy as selecting the data you want shared on the cloud and the files you don't want shared. Similar to how you select what you want spotlight to search or not search.

Things are changing. Get with the times or get left behind. If you are that geek who needs a file system browser, don't worry, jail-breaking will be for you. I could even see data saftey deposit boxes. Like a real safety deposit box, but it's a bank vault with lots and lots of HD storage. Maybe these exist?
  • Reply 86 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Are you glad that Apple didn't build in an SD card reader into the iPad?

It's supposed to have a optional SD reader though, for those who are going to use the iPad as a sole device, not synced to a computer.
  • Reply 87 of 247
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

My guess would be no on the A4 or a variation of it for new Macs, unless Steve decides to expand their offerings to netboxes or does a notebook variation on the iPad. No software vendor is going to make another chip platform change with Apple, especially not after Steve's lack of appreciation with Adobe in this last rant of his. Apple is lucky Adobe didn't dump them and go Windows only after their last change to Intel processors. Adobe might be bastards when it comes to licensing and customer support (or lack thereof), but their software still powers the systems of pretty much every content developer, so they have the leverage for now until someone decides to take them on. And no, iPhoto and the rest of the iLife suite ain't going to cut it.

Well, they go where the market is. Some Adobe software sells roughly 50% of licenses to Mac users, they can't simply say: nope, we don't play - their shareholders would tar and feather them.

For the time being this is not an issue though, even OS X does not run on ARM CPUs (yet) and for sure the iPhone and the iPod touch will move to the A4 (or other Apple designs) first. These chips should allow Apple to price products a bit more aggressively, or compensate for slightly lower subsidies when they move away from the exclusive carrier model in more countries. Their accuracy in executing these things properly is mind-blowing.
  • Reply 88 of 247
    warpwarp Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Well the event was to launch the iPad, nothing was ever mention about MBP updated. The iMac wasn't updated at this event either - what's your point?

The current MBP is less than a year old. You don't even know what the upgrade will bring, or when it will be, so instead of buying what is already a great product, you're hammering away on technology far inferior. Very odd mindset.

There will always be something new around the corner - that's the nature of any industry, any product. It's not a reason to not buy today, unless you know the update is coming tomorrow. You don't know this, so just buy the MBP already!

I agree that the current MBPs are excellent, but I am, too holding out for this year's model. At this point in the lifecycle, it would be unwise for me to invest $3K+ for last year's processor architecture, not to speak of other possible enhancements. Just trying to maximize the value I'm getting for my dollars.
  • Reply 89 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nasdarq View Post

The computer says
  • Reply 90 of 247
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I'm ready for Steve to retire. He reminds me of my grouchy old neighbor who curses at kids riding skateboards on 'his' sidewalk.
  • Reply 91 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by warp View Post

I agree that the current MBPs are excellent, but I am, too holding out for this year's model. At this point in the lifecycle, it would be unwise for me to invest $3K+ for last year's processor architecture, not to speak of other possible enhancements. Just trying to maximize the value I'm getting for my dollars.

Does any one know how old are current MBP? I'm probably going to buy one this year, and I want to know if I'll wait for the next gen or not...
  • Reply 92 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macusersince1993 View Post

Because competition is bad?

Competition's great. Competition has nothing to do with your hype, hyperbole, general mindlessness.
  • Reply 93 of 247
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FullGaz View Post

... I have this theory that Apple always have a 5 years plan, just like the old communist party in the now defunct USSR...

Was this really necessary? It's also a standard part of right-wing corporate USA to have a five year plan. Why tar Apple with the Bolshevik brush?
  • Reply 94 of 247
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

We know most people don't do backups and the most likely way to complete a backup by HDDs, so I can't imagine your comment "optical drives still [...] means of [...] storing data." is referring to that. If we're talking about movies, I have to wonder how many people really use their notebook computers for watching DVD movies over a DVD player in a home entertainment center.

Though I don't watch any DVD movies on my MBP, I still use the superdrive to burn CD and DVD backups of various files, etc... When the time comes, however, I will accept the demise of the optical drive. And no, I'm not so stubborn that I wouldn't buy an Apple laptop because it lacked an optical drive. But for me, personally, I still use the superdrive in my MBP.
  • Reply 95 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

...If you are that geek who needs a file system browser, don't worry, jail-breaking will be for you. I could even see data saftey deposit boxes. Like a real safety deposit box, but it's a bank vault with lots and lots of HD storage. Maybe these exist?

I think Apple will introduce a Finder app for the iPad.

It wasn't ready yet or Jobs didn't want to announce it as to distract from his creative iPad show.

The iPad is designed as a simplified computer for children, eventually the file system browser will have to come into play somewhere along the line or kids will not be able to easily use a Mac or a Windows machine in school.
  • Reply 96 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Next iPhone coming is an A+ update.

Still waiting for the next update, it's been a while. I want to see what they have in store for the iPhone!
  • Reply 97 of 247
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I can guarantee you Apple will put it's own chip into the next iPhone, iPod Touch and AppleTV.

Maybe even the iPod nano and iPod classic as well as Airport and Time Capsules.

Their chips integrate CPU, GPU and a memory controller all on a single chip.

This gives Apple tighter integration and lowers licensing and supply costs.

I'm waiting to see the exact sizing of the A4 in comparison to other chips that are now separate. I'd also like to see how well something like the iPad could be re-engieered to be the new AppleTV.
  • Reply 98 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm ready for Steve to retire. He reminds me of my grouchy old neighbor who curses at kids riding skateboards on 'his' sidewalk.

lol; but one must admit that he has achieved quite a bit by doing just that in the last 30 years ...
  • Reply 99 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Does any one know how old are current MBP? I'm probably going to buy one this year, and I want to know if I'll wait for the next gen or not...

Here's your answer

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

But remember, Apple just introduced a Apple A4 processor in the iPad, this means they very likely going to ditch Intel processors soon.

If you need to be able to run other operating systems, you might not be able to do this with the A4.

If the next issue of Mac model you want has the A4 and it won't run other operating systems like you need, rush over to a third party online reseller to get the last Intel version.
  • Reply 100 of 247
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

These comments bother me since the support that is wanted is focused on a particular machine, not the OS. Adding a Blu-ray player to a Mac does nothing. You'll still need Windows if you want to play a BRD.

The very first thing Apple will need to do is add AACS support to the OS. That would allow even the MBA playback BRD with an attached drive.

I think they'll add the OS support, but only after they feel digitally streaming media has a large enough jump over Blu-ray in the home theater department.

My apologies about my post. I meant to imply that OS support is certainly required because I realize that simply adding a Blu-ray drive will only get you half way there. The reason I zeroed in on the recent iMacs is because it was their newest machine and because of the rumors that it may actually have include Blu-ray support. When the next new MacPro comes out, I'll be looking for potential Blu-ray support there as well with the obvious caveat that it'll require OS support.