Steve Jobs disparages Google, Adobe at company meeting - reports

Comments

• Reply 121 of 247
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I didn't mean to imply that you did. Can I ask what files are you backing up manually that would not be easier with a network RAIDed system you don't have to worry about. Or even to iDisk where it sync these, not only with the MobileMe cloud but back to another machine's local iDisk folder. Outside of a worldwide EMP I'm pretty well protected.

A perfect example is the copy of Photoshop I just bought from Adobe's online store. Once I downloaded the installation file, I burned a copy of it onto disc and wrote my serial number on it. I then take that disc and put it in a binder along with all the other similar discs (ones containing software). It's also backed up in Time Machine somewhere, but for me, it's easier to pull out the binder and flip through the pages until I find the disc. Also, I burned a couple of video files to a DVD-R for my nephew this past weekend. Generally speak though, it's usually random stuff like this.
  • Reply 122 of 247
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

LOL they did for so many years. I don't think Apple needs any of these companies.

I always chuckle when I read stuff like that because it makes no logical sense. If Apple were to die because Adobe or Google or Blu-ray weren't available then it would make sense that inversely Apple see's sales because of Adobe, Google and Blu-ray.

Well we know Blu-ray isn't available and thus not generating sales.

Google is a web company and while I like Gmail. Docs and other tools I could

easily switch to Bing for search and Yahoo for email. Adobe doesn't carry the weight

it once did when Apple was the Desktop Pub platform. If Adobe bailed Apple would simply

deliver an Apple Graphics Suite and migrate a portion of users.

No one company is going to be the downfall of Apple. Some of you are still thinking this is the Apple of a decade ago that didn't continue to "beat the street" or enjoyed 30 billion dollars of money sitting in a pile.

People use computers for more than doing graphic or running an office suite people
  • Reply 123 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Does any one know how old are current MBP? I'm probably going to buy one this year, and I want to know if I'll wait for the next gen or not...

I always found this to be a good resource...you can go crazy, 'waiting' for the next innovation! I just buy the best current model I can afford at the time and when a new one comes out I give the 'Old' one to my daughter. I know I'm rationalizing the purchases but it helps me not go crazy!

take a look and Good luck!

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
  • Reply 124 of 247
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

Do you have to buy those peripherals? Seems that way. How much will it cost? And why should I have to buy a peripheral in the first place, it's just stupid...

No, you already own them. The camera connection with USB and SD card slot adapters is $29.00 - hope that doesn't hurt your pocket too much.

Why should you have to buy a digital camera or printer, or Blu-tooth headset in the first place? I can't imagine. Is that a real question?!?!
  • Reply 125 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

Well, if you can attach your digital camera or your SD card to the iPad's USB port that's hidden within its dock connector, then why can't you attach a USB external drive?

I was not aware there was a hidden USB port within the dock connector.
  • Reply 126 of 247
    Quote:

Does any one know how old are current MBP? I'm probably going to buy one this year, and I want to know if I'll wait for the next gen or not...

About 8/9 months. Ancient according to some people. LMAO.
  • Reply 127 of 247
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Its true a high percentage of Adobe's professional sales are to Mac users. Because a high percentage of content creation is done on the Mac.

I cannot find the study again. But it was shown on average Mac users purchase more professional software than the average PC user. Adobe cannot afford to loose Mac sales.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

I think you over estimate the percentage of Adobe software sales to Mac users. Your almost always going to have at least a 3-to-1 margin of sales to Windows-based PCs just because of market share.

• Reply 128 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by machei View Post

For god's sake, I just want them to rev the processor on the MBPs already. I've been waiting with increasing impatience since December, hammering away at my aging G4.

Noupdatesattheeventdontneedanipadmumblegrumble.

Honestly I never understood people like you. If you are seriously still using a G4 then just buy an new MBP and stop waiting. Even if they update it 2 days later the current MBP will perform leaps and bounds over a G4. Get real, you're going to complain that 10 or so generations gain in performance is going to be overshadowed by 1 update to the MBP. Give it a rest and enjoy a new computer and quit complaining.
  • Reply 129 of 247
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

I think you over estimate the percentage of Adobe software sales to Mac users. Your almost always going to have at least a 3-to-1 margin of sales to Windows-based PCs just because of market share. And if Apple were to switch processors again, it would be cheaper for Adobe to ditch all of their Mac development team and not invest in the new tools to develop for yet another new Mac platform.

They do not need to adjust development to support another platform (if there is one). They are moving all existing applications to Cocoa anyhow, as they have promised 64-bit support for CS5. Once they are finally using Cocoa and Xcode anyhow, it makes no difference for which supported platform they compile. If Apple, with far less developers, can port iWork apps in less than one year and sell them for 9.99, Adobe could be interested in keeping people buying their 1-4k boxes...

I remember an interview with one of the Photoshop team guys where they stated that OS X sales were roughly 50%. This might not be true for all products, such as the video editing stuff that can't compete with Apple's in functionality or price, and of course the applications that do not even exist for OS X.
  • Reply 130 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I don't know if you created this but it's so not funny.

I don't mean that in the sense that i'm offended, but in the sense of actual criticism of the humour (or lack of it) involved. The list of items is irrelevant to both products, the date of the "stone" is off by about 39,900 years or so, and it's just inaccurate in any case. The stone can't "multi-task" at all, and the iPad actually can. To be funny it would have to be kind of ironically true in some sense, and this just isn't.

Well-not exactly. I would certainly like to crack the stone over a few heads here. Something I wouldn't consider with my to-get iPad.
  • Reply 131 of 247
    I must disagree again:

Yes, competition is fine and good, but Google elected to compete with Apple utilizing a product Apple essentially designed, which is underhanded and therefore dirty pool. I am willing to bet it was a gentleman's agreement that Google elected to violate. Let's see how far Google gets without Apple willing to collaborate with them in aspects of design and implimentation.

I am willing to bet information was being leaked to Google and they rushed to beat Apple to market, especially on items such as location based services.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macusersince1993 View Post

I'm glad Google is competing against Apple. It makes Apple a better company.

Imagine how your Mac would be today if Microsoft didn't have most of the Market share. You think you would be able to run all the stuff you can run in a Mac today, including Windows? Do you think you could get a Mac anywhere near a competitive price?

Look, I love Macs and I love the iPhone, but I'm frustrated how Apple's tyrannical approach to everything has crippled my experience with their products.

Google gets it. Google knows people like Apple's products, but they're not too crazy about using Apple's network of choice or use only the applications Apple tells you to use, or not having an option over anything Apple does.

If more people embrace Android, Google is going to prove Apple they must relax some of their business choices. If people embrace Chrome OS, Apple is going to realize people want cheap devices (which have a camera, for @!#$ sake!) for browsing the Web, not necessarily XL iPod Touches.

I hope Google is right on this one. If they are, they can actually save Apple from themselves. I don't call that evil at all.

• Reply 132 of 247
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

iDisk is so slow it is almost unusable except for small files. We have a data center cabinet and a home grown file uploader web service. It doesn't sync but at least I have 3 or 4 copies of everything. As long as you stay organized I prefer to manually back up. For people who don't have a lot of data I guess Time Machine is ok but it is usually on site so you don't have any disaster protection. We have multiple terabytes of data so just converting to Time Machine is more work than I want to do.

If you are just dropping a file there for syncing between machines it's fine. If we're talking "CD/DVD sizes" it's more than adequate for that sort of backup without requiring anything more than a drop and drop.

I'm note what you mean by converting to Time Machine. It makes as sparse bundle as it copies it, but if you have multiple TBs (reading over 3TB+) over the OS install itself then Time Machine wasn't designed for you anyway. A proper RAID would be the best method.

PS: Oddly, the iDisk App from the App Store seems to be much faster than the connecting via WebDAV, FTP, or HTTP from a PC. I can drop video files on there, then stream it later on my iPhone, providing it's properly encoded.
  • Reply 133 of 247
    FOXNews says it is Fair and Balanced.

All for-profit corporations (including Apple) exist for one thing. To make a profit. They can be sued for not doing so. Anyone who believes corporations can be compassionate, or moral, or otherwise human haven't been to a shareholder meeting.

To that end, corporations will do and say anything to make a profit... including claiming they are not evil and even acting so. That is, however, absolutely no guarantee that they will act the same way tomorrow.
  • Reply 134 of 247
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You downloaded a copy of Photoshop instead of going to a brick and mortar store to purchase a disc. This is the direction its all going.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

A perfect example is the copy of Photoshop I just bought from Adobe's online store. Once I downloaded the installation file, I burned a copy of it onto disc and wrote my serial number on it.

• Reply 135 of 247
    [double post, sorry]
  • Reply 136 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I was not aware there was a hidden USB port within the dock connector.

It doesn't but the tail end of the supplied connection cable will be USB, won't it?

And again, a USB and SD adapter are available for $29.00
  • Reply 137 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Be careful. According to some of my colleagues that were at the launch, virtually everyone that got a hands-on were very reluctant to let it go. Even those who were somewhat skeptical. This phenomenon has been expressed by many of the pundits as well.

• Reply 138 of 247
    Utter speculation, just as everything in this forum is, but I will say that after the keynote and noting that the A4 processor was also managing video (I coudl be incoreect about this, so if I am someone please educate me) as well as a quick blurb from Mr. Jobs to a reporter (I will have to locate that clip) concerning the fact video is the second largest power consumer, but "...Our chips use hardly any power..." I can speculate as much.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by uberben View Post

I did not think that Apple had any plans to make their own GPU, I would be interested in seeing your information for this if you would be so kind.

• Reply 139 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

No, you already own them. The camera connection with USB and SD card slot adapters is $29.00 - hope that doesn't hurt your pocket too much.

Why should you have to buy a digital camera or printer, or Blu-tooth headset in the first place? I can't imagine. Is that a real question?!?!

My next big purchase is a Nikon SLR and the 'wifi' sd card....no cables baby!
  • Reply 140 of 247
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Well-not exactly. I would certainly like to crack the stone over a few heads here. Something I wouldn't consider with my to-get iPad.

Now that's funny!