Getting an iPad?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

You can listen to music and use another app.

Only if you listen to your iTunes library. It no longer works when you want to listen to internet radio or a streaming music player. That's what people are talking about.
  • Reply 42 of 59
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Only if you listen to your iTunes library. It no longer works when you want to listen to internet radio or a streaming music player. That's what people are talking about.

What kind of streaming? Safari supports HTTP streaming, which = standard. Find your stream, get it playing, go back to work.
  • Reply 43 of 59
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    The thing with the iPad is it has so much potential as an essential piece of hardware for the home. Here are some ways, off the top of my head, I can see people using the iPad beyond web and emailing.

• Using it as your family album (still pics and videos) to share with company.

• Board games. A new class of multi-person games.

• With the GPS model, the ultimate trip planner (AAA, take note)

• Home security portal with streaming video, door & window sensor maps, quick emergency/panic button

• You vehicle's new center console (music, heat/AC, navigation, etc.)
  • Reply 44 of 59
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

The thing with the iPad is it has so much potential as an essential piece of hardware for the home. Here are some ways, off the top of my head, I can see people using the iPad beyond web and emailing.

? Using it as your family album (still pics and videos) to share with company.

? Board games. A new class of multi-person games.

? With the GPS model, the ultimate trip planner (AAA, take note)

? Home security portal with streaming video, door & window sensor maps, quick emergency/panic button

? You vehicle's new center console (music, heat/AC, navigation, etc.)

It'll be probably less than a year before we see some automobile modder slapping an iPad in a dashboard and controlling all everything. I can't wait.

I think the security feature would be very nice along with the iPad as a home control/automation front end.

The potential of this device appears near limitless because it's "not" shackled with Mac OS X which means legacy support.

It's funny I walk through some stores and I'll see a display for the Sony eBook reader with a high end model at $299 and I think "this thing doesn't stand a chance at that pricepoint against the iPad"
  • Reply 45 of 59
    que?que? Posts: 4member
    Among others, I have an iPhone and a MacBook Air. I need work to be done: Photoshop/Illustrator, coding, writing.

What's the use of an iPad for me? Zero. Nada.
  • Reply 46 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Que? View Post

Among others, I have an iPhone and a MacBook Air. I need work to be done: Photoshop/Illustrator, coding, writing.

So you're not the target audience... don't buy one (unless you just want a cool toy! )
  • Reply 47 of 59
    32GB WiFi & 3G at $729

Still no takers. It's interesting how Apple's price points work. It gets easier to go up.
  • Reply 48 of 59
    Quote:

32GB WiFi & 3G at $729

Still no takers. It's interesting how Apple's price points work. It gets easier to go up.

I gave a talk last night at my company meeting involving price packages for 2010, and I drew a parallel to this device and how Apple manages so cleverly to add perceived value in small, yet significant price increments. With 6 pricing tiers within a $300 range, this product is the single best example of that from Apple to date.

No matter what, it IS essentially the same device across all "models", so you invaribly will look FIRST at the $499 pp and think, yeah, I can do that. At that point, things take a turn you weren't expecting 3 seconds prior. You look at the next model (you know, just to make sure you're making an informed decision) and think, $100 extra and I get twice the storage, At this point you're screwed because you're going to look at that next pp and realize that $100 for twice the storage is a rip off, when $200 gets you not 3x but 4x the storage. The Apple mind games are hard at work now.

I think the avg customer will struggle a bit with the above decision. I don't think the avg buyer is going to want the 3G, because the extra $130 up frony (ridiculous!) is highly prohibitive, much more so than the measly no contract prepaid $15/mon that all could get by on.

I'm sure Apple feels the same way, which is why they surprised us with the LOWER priced WiFi only model. I mean it makes sense that a device with less equipment be less expensive, but the Apple/AT&T world has not always made complete sense.
  • Reply 49 of 59
    Quote:

There is not a single person who would disagree with you. This product was not designed for someone who uses a Mac and an iPhone, and also happens to have no interest in anything else whatsoever.

Photoshop. Great, its a massive program. While I would like a watered down version for a touch enabled device (and watch, it will come) the "real" photoshop belongs on a workstation.

The iPad is not a work station, its not a Mac Pro. Its not a Mac at all.

The sooner people understand that, the sooner reality will dawn. ( and yeah i do want one, as i can run my business easily from any version of Safari, and I'd never know Flash existed, just as I "don't" now.)
  • Reply 50 of 59
    Non-3G devices are 4 times higher than those with 3G... 28 to 7.
  • Reply 51 of 59
    Quote:

Among others, I have an iPhone and a MacBook Air. I need work to be done: Pages, Keynote, planning, script-writing, storyboarding, collaborating, presenting.

The iPad is just what I need.

No product is made for everyone.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I'm interested in getting one, probably a non-3G version, but I need to find out a few things first.

I use Keynote to give presentations every day, and right now I carry around a MacBook Pro, which is overkill for that purpose. The fact that you can scrawl on the touchscreen with your finger during the presentation is pretty cool and an improvement over the Mac version.

But I want to know these things first:

Will it play all Keynote presentations, including ones with video?

Can I plug it into speakers while it's connected via VGA?

Can I view presenter notes on the iPad while the presentation displays on the projector?

Will any remote controls be available (e.g., via bluetooth)?

Will it run all my favorite Flash ads?

Just kidding about that last one.
  • Reply 53 of 59
    It has a headphone jack, so speakers should be OK. I did this with one of those super portable projectors at the Apple Store with my iPhone.

Video is fine: VGA out (dock connector) for 1024 by 768 pixels.

Presenter Notes: I would assume so; it's a big feature of Keynote on Mac, and the iPad certainly has the screen space.

Remote control: that's a good question. Use your iPhone to control the presentation on your iPad?

Flash: hahahahaha.
  • Reply 54 of 59
    Finally there is a vote for each of the models!
  • Reply 55 of 59
    Quote:

It has a headphone jack, so speakers should be OK. I did this with one of those super portable projectors at the Apple Store with my iPhone.

Video is fine: VGA out (dock connector) for 1024 by 768 pixels.

Presenter Notes: I would assume so; it's a big feature of Keynote on Mac, and the iPad certainly has the screen space.

Remote control: that's a good question. Use your iPhone to control the presentation on your iPad?

Flash: hahahahaha.

You're probably right but I'd just like to see it confirmed.

For example, I'd assume that video would be more limited than on the Mac, because it's possible to install all kinds of crazy codecs to get just about any video to play on the Mac, but that wouldn't be supported on the iPad. It would need to be in a format the iPad can play (e.g., mp4 h.264). Are there any additional limitations?

In addition, the iPad's graphics are presumably more limited than on a Mac, and I'd like to see it confirmed that it can display one thing on its own screen but something different on an external display.

I'm hoping!
  • Reply 56 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

In addition, the iPad's graphics are presumably more limited than on a Mac, and I'd like to see it confirmed that it can display one thing on its own screen but something different on an external display.

This is just a guess, but I suspect that the video-out is only able to mirror the main display. I base this on two things: 1) the output is 1024x768, same as the main display, and there is no reason to so limit a secondary display. And 2) Apple is giving thing a video out mainly so it can be hooked up to a projector, and you would want a projector to be mirrored for presentations.
  • Reply 57 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

This is just a guess, but I suspect that the video-out is only able to mirror the main display. I base this on two things: 1) the output is 1024x768, same as the main display, and there is no reason to so limit a secondary display. And 2) Apple is giving thing a video out mainly so it can be hooked up to a projector, and you would want a projector to be mirrored for presentations.

I'll take your word for it on your first point, but on your second, I always show my notes on the computer while the slide is displayed on the projector.

In any case, we'll find out all these details soon enough.
  • Reply 58 of 59
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

tech specs on apple site say video out is 1024x768 with dock connector to vga. 576i, 480i, 576p and 480p with Apple AV Cable. so we already know what it outputs. i'd guess that is mirrored at best.
  • Reply 59 of 59
    There are a couple of presentation apps out for the iPhone... the ones I know let you control a computer that is making the presentation. Perhaps there will be a way to connect them to the iPad.

Or, hopefully, Apple is ahead of us on this and somehow allows the iPad (Keynote) to output a certain part of the screen, allowing for notes. We'll know soon...