iPad appears at Grammys, hospitals eye Apple's new hardware

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    After Stephen started asking for an iPad last week on his show, I KNEW he would have one by Monday. My wife was skeptical.

The Colbert Bump ensures that the iPad will be a success.
  • Reply 22 of 90
    Well to each his own...for those complaining about a lack of stylus for the iPad, iPhone and Touch, look for the Pogo:

http://tenonedesign.com/stylus.php
  • Reply 23 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

In other words, they want to be able to run their own software without having to go through the App Store and giving up trade secrets in the process.

That isn't a problem at all. Apple has an Enterprise developer option when you sign up to develop apps. So you can build apps for your companies devices without using the app store. Most folks don't seem to know that this exists, but Apple already supports enterprise applications that don't go through the app store or its approval process.
  • Reply 24 of 90
    Apparently Apple ripped off the Chinese with concern to iPad design...only one thing wrong with this story, that tablet is running windows.. lol

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...tories+2%29%29
  • Reply 25 of 90
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Now it makes you look cool, in 2 years time it won't
  • Reply 26 of 90
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

why would a tablet computer used by a hospital need a finder/file system. The data they access isn't going to be on the tablet, but rather on a server or servers the network.

you may need to download data unless you put up wifi in every corner of the hospital's winding hallways. and you have to be careful what you put up since some devices may interfere with heart monitors. my wife used to work in an ER and they had special cell phones they used.

and the iPad will need to be HIPAA certified before any medical professional will use it
  • Reply 27 of 90
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Apparently Apple ripped off the Chinese with concern to iPad design...only one thing wrong with this story, that tablet is running windows.. lol

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...tories+2%29%29

No double standard there, it's good that Wired laid the claims bare to show how ridiculous it was.

Apple's iPad doesn't even use the chrome trim, which Wired noted is suspiciously like Apple's Touch.
  • Reply 28 of 90
    Unfortunately, sterilization is a big issue in hospitals and it isn't simply as issue of keeping an MD or nurse's iPad away from patients with infections. Often a patient is admitted without knowing what they have. Only later are control measures applied. If an iPad is caught in that situation, what are they going to do with it?

If I were Apple, I'd be looking for engineers who know how to ruggedize, waterproof, and dust-proof mobile products. ICOM, maker of commercial and amateur two-way radios, has discovered that it often makes sense to military-spec products. Some customers need that ruggedness and will pay for it.

Apple is no longer a niche marketer. It should be looking into creating ruggedized versions of iPhones, iPod touches and the iPad.
  • Reply 29 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Will the touch interface work through rubber gloves?

Well, my iPhone does. Works perfectly, actually, with latex gloves. Dunno about nitrile gloves, tho ( the bright blue ones).
  • Reply 30 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Unfortunately, sterilization is a big issue in hospitals and it isn't simply as issue of keeping an MD or nurse's iPad away from patients with infections. Often a patient is admitted without knowing what they have. Only later are control measures applied. If an iPad is caught in that situation, what are they going to do with it?

If I were Apple, I'd be looking for engineers who know how to ruggedize, waterproof, and dust-proof mobile products. ICOM, maker of commercial and amateur two-way radios, has discovered that it often makes sense to military-spec products. Some customers need that ruggedness and will pay for it.

Apple is no longer a niche marketer. It should be looking into creating ruggedized versions of iPhones, iPod touches and the iPad.

And their coats and pens and charts and everything else they come in contact with. This isn't an iPad issue. It's a sterile technique issue.
  • Reply 31 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper

In other words, they want to be able to run their own software without having to go through the App Store and giving up trade secrets in the process.

Apple offers a corporate device licensing to major institutions such as hospitals and universities. They can run custom software in the iPhone OS environment and the application doesn't neccessarily have to be in Appstore. One feature during WWDC 08 keynote was the ability to remotely wipe all data from the device to prevent any confidential information from external exposure in case the device was lost or stolen. This was then later added to the general public in version 3.0 as a MobileMe service. I'm not surprised when they upgrade corporate device solutions from the current iPhones to iPads.
  • Reply 32 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MeCourious View Post

For doctors in hospitals, they would have their stethoscope in their already large pocket on one side and their iPad on the other. Get ready for a new doctor look.

OMG! I <3 my lab coat! It's iPad ready!
  • Reply 33 of 90
    Somebody at Apple deserves a raise for coming up with that brilliant promotion.
  • Reply 34 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Somebody at Apple deserves a raise for coming up with that brilliant promotion.

Seen or soon to be replayed almost worldwide.
  • Reply 35 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Seen or soon to be replayed almost worldwide.

Any YouTube links?
  • Reply 36 of 90
    Dunno. The Grammy's were live here in Japan, and I imagine in many countries. Others will likely have a replay.
  • Reply 37 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

You know there is the iPhone Developer Enterprise program for just that sort of thing, don't you?

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/program/apply.html

There is App store review for in-house apps. I think hospitals can afford the extra $200 over the standard developer package.
  • Reply 38 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

You'd just need a case that has a waterproof seal around the bezel for that, not a whole different product.
  • Reply 39 of 90
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Will the touch interface work through rubber gloves?

I put my iPhone in a zip-lock bag whenever I want to use it in a wet environment (like the bath). The touch controls work perfectly well through plastic. The iPad should work fine inside a sterile bag.
  • Reply 40 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Dunno. The Grammy's were live here in Japan, and I imagine in many countries. Others will likely have a replay.

Do you live in Japan full time, if you don't mind my asking?