iPad appears at Grammys, hospitals eye Apple's new hardware

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

It's cute that you think that it's free publicity

The reason's it's free publicity is because of all the websites and news organizations playing the clip, and all the news stories about it.

Apple may or may not have paid for theplacement (it's possible they didn't have to, as the iPad was a prop in a joke), but all the attention afterwards wass definitely free.
  • Reply 42 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Will the touch interface work through rubber gloves?

Yes! The thin latex gloves that doctors and nurses use.

• Reply 43 of 90
    Tablets in hospitals I can see happening. iPAD's in hospitals im not so sure, im in the UK so it definitely wont happen over hear. If it were running Mac OSX then I would find it more likely, but the closed nature of the iPhone OS makes me doubt it. Even with an enterprise option that skips the app store, it's still a massive device lock in, rather than being able to change to different hardware as it becomes available. Also looking to the future of devices there's no certainty of anything, Apple keep everything a secret and give you no indication of where there going with languages in the next 2 years. Your also completely reliant on the success of the device, what happens if it doesn't sell really well and one year into development your left with no hardware device? iPhone code isn't exactly portable to another system.
  • Reply 44 of 90
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

In other words, they want to be able to run their own software without having to go through the App Store and giving up trade secrets in the process.

Already being done for some large corporations using iPhones for internal functions.

Quote:

Also they will need a Finder App for file browsing.

Don't think so. They'll have a limited set of speciality applications in practice, a Finder wouldn't be necessary.
  • Reply 45 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The iPad would be great for hospitals as soon as the new bed pan app is released.

Unless of course, it's constipated people like you.....
  • Reply 46 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NormM View Post

I put my iPhone in a zip-lock bag whenever I want to use it in a wet environment (like the bath).

Ok, that's just a little too obsessive . . .
  • Reply 47 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

The reason's it's free publicity is because of all the websites and news organizations playing the clip, and all the news stories about it.

Apple may or may not have paid for theplacement (it's possible they didn't have to, as the iPad was a prop in a joke), but all the attention afterwards wass definitely free.

I was not going to reply, since I thought that person reply was very native indeed!
  • Reply 48 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

It's cute that you think that it's free publicity

Good point. But Apple made it look free, see? I'll suspect that was the case for many of those viewing. That's perhaps what really matters....
  • Reply 49 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Now that was FUNNY!
  • Reply 50 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woode View Post

And their coats and pens and charts and everything else they come in contact with. This isn't an iPad issue. It's a sterile technique issue.

A sensible, but unsatisfying, response to those preoccupied with illogical whining and Apple/Jobs-bashing.
  • Reply 51 of 90
    This is the best of the YouTube clips I could find of this event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyo96P-SQiM

The most widely posted version believe it or not is someone who aimed a camcorder at the screen of their TV.
  • Reply 52 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NormM View Post

I put my iPhone in a zip-lock bag whenever I want to use it in a wet environment (like the bath)...

You use your iPhone...in the bath? Sheez, I thought I was bad for texting on the crapper.
  • Reply 53 of 90
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

In other words, they want to be able to run their own software without having to go through the App Store and giving up trade secrets in the process.

Also they will need a Finder App for file browsing.

Umm, companies can put their own software on the iPod touch/iPhone without going through the App Store, so nothing new here for the iPad.

Why would doctors need to browse for files? Wouldn't they simply look up patient names in their app, and the app brings up the right files? Or wouldn't they look up types of test results in a test result app, and find the patient's name and results?

My doctor and children's doctors currently use tablets, and I've never seen it back at the desktop, or My Documents displays. It's always in an application.
  • Reply 54 of 90
    Quote:

That was a good one back.
  • Reply 55 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Now that was FUNNY!

See just goes to show how pathetic you are.
  • Reply 56 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Tablets in hospitals I can see happening. iPAD's in hospitals im not so sure, im in the UK so it definitely wont happen over hear. If it were running Mac OSX then I would find it more likely, but the closed nature of the iPhone OS makes me doubt it. Even with an enterprise option that skips the app store, it's still a massive device lock in, rather than being able to change to different hardware as it becomes available. Also looking to the future of devices there's no certainty of anything, Apple keep everything a secret and give you no indication of where there going with languages in the next 2 years. Your also completely reliant on the success of the device, what happens if it doesn't sell really well and one year into development your left with no hardware device? iPhone code isn't exactly portable to another system.

You're always dependent on someone. Those who use Windows-based tablets are totally dependent on Windows continuing to support touch on tablets. And it's not like there's a surplus of tablet manufacturers - it's dwindling by the year. Plus, most tablets cost two or three times more than the iPad.

So the decision is based on how confident you are in Apple staying in this market. And that's why Apple said "We're the largest mobile device company, by revenue."
  • Reply 57 of 90
    Quote:

Good point. But Apple made it look free, see? I'll suspect that was the case for many of those viewing. That's perhaps what really matters....

Since Jobs' return in 1997, can you find a single reference anywhere, of someone saying that Apple paid for product placement?

I've seen Apple products in many TV shows/movies, where they've covered the Apple on the back of the display, but you know it is a iMac/MacBook because they show you the distinctive Mac menus.
  • Reply 58 of 90
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    As much non-discussion that's occurring in this thread, I just learned that the iPhone works with latex gloves! Sweet. No more grease on my screen!

Now if only I would look normal using them in public. \
  • Reply 59 of 90
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

You're always dependent on someone. Those who use Windows-based tablets are totally dependent on Windows continuing to support touch on tablets. And it's not like there's a surplus of tablet manufacturers - it's dwindling by the year. Plus, most tablets cost two or three times more than the iPad.

So the decision is based on how confident you are in Apple staying in this market. And that's why Apple said "We're the largest mobile device company, by revenue."

Moreover, the cost is in developing a thin client UI much more than developing a whole platform. When you start off multi-platform for a client/server application, portability is much easier than if you work from a windows-only ecosystem. Porting that UI to the next generation of devices isn't that big of a deal for a Kaiser or the like-- just one or two programmer's "pet project." This cost is easily offset by improved efficiency for the doctors, nurses, and billing...

And, HIPPA shouldn't be much harder to deal with than any other system, although a bluetooth lock-down bracelet would be kind of nice to have (locks faster if not next to the paired transmitter).
  • Reply 60 of 90
    citycity Posts: 522member
    I just put my iPhone in a plastic sandwich bag and it worked just fine through the plastic. If sanitation is a concern, just put a disposable plastic sheet over the screen or put it in a plastic bag.