27-inch iMac delays continue as production halt is rumored

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's big-screen 27-inch desktop iMac still has a shipping wait time of three weeks, and one new report has alleged that the company has ceased production of new units until it can address hardware issues.

Citing an anonymous source, Hardmac reported Monday that Apple has allegedly stopped assembling lines for the desktop. Supplies of the 27-inch iMac have been restricted for months as reports of screen flickering have persisted. While some have speculated the lack of availability has been due to those issues, there has been no confirmation from Apple.

"According to one of our sources, the company completely stopped the iMac 27" assembling lines," Hardmac wrote, "the production will not resume before Apple has finally found a reliable and definitive fix for the remaining past (flickering and flashing display) and new issues (yellowish panel and flickering display) affecting those models."

In addition, some customers have been contacted by Apple to let them know their recent iMac orders have been delayed. In January, shipments of the 27-inch iMac were pushed back to three weeks

In December, Apple released a software fix to address flickering on the 27-inch iMac screen, though many users have said the software update did not address the issue. Recently, some users reported discussions with AppleCare representatives that suggested yet another update was coming.

Further confirming issues with the new desktop, this weekend Gizmodo posted what was alleged to be an internal document from Apple on how to handle complaints of screen flickering and a yellowish tint on certain areas of the screen.

"Do not attempt a repair or replacement at this time," the document reads. "Explain that slight color variability is normal for LCD displays and in general does not warrant replacement. Customers who are concerned that their iMac has a yellow tint issue, and who provide contact information, will be contacted by Apple in approximately 3 weeks to arrange a LCD panel replacement."

For its part, Apple has said the delays are due to consumer demand for the new hardware. In December, the company formally apologized for its trouble in fulfilling orders, noting that the new iMac has been a "huge hit."

When it launched in October, the newly redesigned iMac was the best-selling desktop machine in the U.S., with the 21.5-inch model taking the top spot. The big-screen 27-inch model came in third in overall sales.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    WOW Apple Q&A is seriously out of control ..... I seriously pray that they take their time with the Mac Pros and Notebooks. I would rather wait till mid March or early april to get new Mac Pros and Notebooks then to have them rush prototypes out to us, like they did with the iMac

THIS NEWS MAKES THE 22" iMac touchscreen rumor sound moot at this point.... don't expect that dream to arrive until 2011

The Memo is also telling support to basically LIE about the issues .... Maybe "Mobile devices" company is something we should take literally

Gizmodo posted an article where a reader found a possible explanation for the yellow issues:

http://gizmodo.com/5459384/the-fault...nal-memo-apple

If he's right, then the problems originate in shipping and aren't really a matter of Quality Assurance, but of inadequate testing of the design prior to production.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    Ordered Dec 29 and it arrives Wed Feb 3 after shipping on Fri Jan 29. I experienced 2 delays. I hope that mine is one of the first of those that are "fixed". I'm going to use this 27 inch i7 puppy for pro work so there's no room for off-color craziness or flickering. We shall see.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    This is precisely the kind of problems that Windows fanbois and Apple-haters (including those on this forum) will use to question (nicely said) Apple's price policy. It is in both Apple's as well as their customer's interest that this problem is solved quickly and decisively.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Is it possible that Dell is offered a better deal to LG on these panels and Apple is facing supply issues?
  • Reply 5 of 39
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

Is it possible that Dell is offered a better deal to LG on these panels and Apple is facing supply issues?

no

i read somewhere this morning that it's something between the glass and the LED lighting that is there to spread the light around evenly. it's a manufacturing problem. Usually takes Intel over a year to perfect a new manufacturing process with a lot of silent upgrades
  • Reply 6 of 39
    I ordered two 27" i7's the first week of January. They just arrived today. FedEx tracking show they shipped directly from China. So, far no problems with the screens (knock on wood.)
  • Reply 7 of 39
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

no

i read somewhere this morning that it's something between the glass and the LED lighting that is there to spread the light around evenly. it's a manufacturing problem. Usually takes Intel over a year to perfect a new manufacturing process with a lot of silent upgrades

It makes sense that it's not a panel issue, but a problem with the backlighting or the casing.

(Of course this wouldn't have happened if it were a matte screen).
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

This is precisely the kind of problems that Windows fanbois and Apple-haters (including those on this forum) will use to question (nicely said) Apple's price policy. It is in both Apple's as well as their customer's interest that this problem is solved quickly and decisively.

It has nothing to do with Apple's price policy but everything to do with Apple's continued neglect of its MAC line. From its latest gigantic iPod to its sloppy release and subsequent numerous updates to Snow Leopard (Quicktime is still worse than Quicktime 7) Macs have been put on Apple's backburner ever since it's become known as the iPhone company.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

WOW Apple Q&A is seriously out of control .....

If he's right, then the problems originate in shipping and aren't really a matter of Quality Assurance, but of inadequate testing of the design prior to production.

I stopped by an Apple store in Dallas last night. They had the 27 inch in stock. Yes, the did say that they are slow in coming in but they are selling very well. They did not indicate any problems.

Just a thought,

en
  • Reply 10 of 39
    que?que? Posts: 4member
    Every now and than a slight flicker on my 27-inch. No colour problems, though. Apple techies told me it's a software problem. So, where's the fix, I may wonder?
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

Wait, what, what does this have to do with price policy.

Ok now that that is settled continue trolling.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    mine is flawless, best screen i've ever seen and fastest Mac I've ever had. This thing is amazing.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    As an aside: I realize that a lot of people think 'bigger is better' and all, but how do people like viewing the gargantuan monitor at the typical distances we place ourselves from our computers? (The optimal distance, in part, mandated by how pages render when scaled up, esp. on the web).

The reason is ask is, I have a 24-inch iMac, and every time I sit in front of it, part of me wishes for something smaller. I might go with a 22-inch the next time.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    This is the price you pay when you innovate. Apple could just sit back and keep selling the same displays as before, but because they are driven to innovate and try new things (including new screens) you get problems like these. I have a somewhat defective LCD on my macbook as well (I have some areas where pixels are brighter then other areas) and I can say I am pretty pissed about that. On the other hand I would not trade my macbook for a dell, even if it had a perfect screen.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

As an aside: I realize that a lot of people think 'bigger is better' and all, but how do people like viewing the gargantuan monitor at the typical distances we place ourselves from our computers? (The optimal distance, in part, mandated by how pages render when scaled up, esp. on the web).

The reason is ask is, I have a 24-inch iMac, and every time I sit in front of it, part of me wishes for something smaller. I might go with a 22-inch the next time.

For our office, most of the staff uses two 22" screens. You get the same screen area with a 27", but lose the pivot in the center (good or bad). With a mac, I hate using two screens, since the menubar does not span or duplicate. (I stack my screens, so the menu bar is in the center.)

People have different needs; I wouldn't think the 27" is for everybody, but it does work well in a home as something you can use from a distance.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

mine is flawless, best screen i've ever seen and fastest Mac I've ever had. This thing is amazing.

I wish my experience was flawless...my first one had to wait a month to ship..it finally came and within a day the screen was terrible. Flickering and going black...took it to apple store...they ordered new parts and then got a phone call from the manager who talked to corporate and decided that it wasn't right to "repair" such a new machine and told me to come pick up a brand new one 5(!) days later... i was quite annoyed because i know they had i5's in stock when i dropped it off. Now on my second one, screen if perfect, no flickers or anything. BUT.... my superdrive is giving me problems! it reads cd's and dvd's but when if i put in a blank cd its makes noises and ejects it 10 secs later. Even does it under bootcamp... i have tried everything and googled it. Anyone have any ideas? thanks
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Do you really think the apple will be releasing a nw macbook pro soon??

Quote:

WOW Apple Q&A is seriously out of control ..... I seriously pray that they take their time with the Mac Pros and Notebooks. I would rather wait till mid March or early april to get new Mac Pros and Notebooks then to have them rush prototypes out to us, like they did with the iMac

THIS NEWS MAKES THE 22" iMac touchscreen rumor sound moot at this point.... don't expect that dream to arrive until 2011

The Memo is also telling support to basically LIE about the issues .... Maybe "Mobile devices" company is something we should take literally

Gizmodo posted an article where a reader found a possible explanation for the yellow issues:

• Reply 18 of 39
    Quote:

Do you really think apple is releasing a new Macbook pro soon?
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Do any of you think Mac will be releasing a new touch screen macbook pro any time soon?
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giuseppem1 View Post

Do any of you think Mac will be releasing a new touch screen macbook pro any time soon?

Touchscreen? Not a snowballs chance in hell.

New MBP? They should be along shortly. The i5 is basically begging to be in one.