iPad appears at Grammys, hospitals eye Apple's new hardware

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    Everyone doubting the iPad's success is like a fool putting their money into a bank account at 1% interest. Apple does TONS of market and product research before putting a product on the market. The fact that it is launching already states there is a huge demand for this product. The same doubt and criticism that arose about the iPhone is coming to the iPad and if you don't believe it now you will be it later....just like you had to believe about the iPhone.
  • Reply 62 of 90
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

you may need to download data unless you put up wifi in every corner of the hospital's winding hallways. and you have to be careful what you put up since some devices may interfere with heart monitors. my wife used to work in an ER and they had special cell phones they used.

and the iPad will need to be HIPAA certified before any medical professional will use it

I don't know if you have been in a hospital lately but they have have wifi all over the place both private and public networks.
  • Reply 63 of 90
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Brilliant move from Apple.

It is amazing how the trolls keep their negativity regardless of what Apple does. Even something like this is negative in their retarded perspective.
  • Reply 64 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

That was a good one back.

Gee, I think that's the first time you've said something nice! Thanks (even if it was backhanded ).
  • Reply 65 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

as much non-discussion that's occurring in this thread, i just learned that the iphone works with latex gloves! Sweet. No more grease on my screen!

Now if only i would look normal using them in public. \

rotflmao!
  • Reply 66 of 90
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

In other words, they want to be able to run their own software without having to go through the App Store and giving up trade secrets in the process.

Which is already possible for the iPhone, you can develop apps that are only distributed within one organisation.

From Wikipedia:

"Applications can be distributed in three ways: through the App Store, through enterprise deployment to a company's employees only, and on an "Ad-hoc" basis to up to 100 iPhones."
  • Reply 67 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

and the iPad will need to be HIPAA certified before any medical professional will use it

You don't seem to know what HIPAA certification is, and you are apparently unaware that HIPAA compliant iPhone applications that already exist.

No hardware devices are "HIPAA certified."

HIPAA is a set of rules that software needs to follow for things like secure connections or privacy. People or agencies can get HIPAA certification. But developers (not Apple) need to make sure their software is HIPAA compliant. And if the iPhone is capable of executing compliant software, then the iPad is.
  • Reply 68 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Do you live in Japan full time, if you don't mind my asking?

Sure do.
  • Reply 69 of 90
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Nah they should call the hosptal version the iPee, that way the patients can urinate on the thing instead of in the bottle normally used.
  • Reply 70 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Sure do.

You sure do mind me asking, or you sure do live there full time?
  • Reply 71 of 90
    LOL is right. Whoever this bozo in China is, he's got some big balls. Hmmm, let's see. Take the iPhone, make it bigger (in appearance anyway), put on it a (likely hacked) version of Windows, and then claim APPLE stole their design.

No wonder copyright violations are rampant in China. No one there knows what it means!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Apparently Apple ripped off the Chinese with concern to iPad design...only one thing wrong with this story, that tablet is running windows.. lol

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...tories+2%29%29

• Reply 72 of 90
    Quote:

He lives there full time. And, has very strong views on Apple and Japan (very legit, based on his personal experiences, although I do necessarily agree with him on Apple's need for a continuing role in Japan), and seems to know the Japanese market for computing-related electronics quite well.

This is random recollection from many many months of reading his prior posts (i.e., no inside info there....)
  • Reply 73 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Since Jobs' return in 1997, can you find a single reference anywhere, of someone saying that Apple paid for product placement?

I've seen Apple products in many TV shows/movies, where they've covered the Apple on the back of the display, but you know it is a iMac/MacBook because they show you the distinctive Mac menus.

I don't know if Apple paid, or simply furnished the computers but on "Lie to Me" you'll see Macs and Dells. All display their logos. The credits say something like "Promotional Consideration: Dell and Apple."
  • Reply 74 of 90
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Wouldn't hospitals want a more powerful OS to be able to run various custom applications that they'll need on this device? I can't see it how they'll incorporate this thing in its current form. I am sure Apple will work something out for the health sector. I am curious to see what they come up with.

As for Colbert's iPad demo....best product placement ever. Apple's going for the Colbert bump!
  • Reply 75 of 90
    timuscatimusca Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Since Jobs' return in 1997, can you find a single reference anywhere, of someone saying that Apple paid for product placement?

I've seen Apple products in many TV shows/movies, where they've covered the Apple on the back of the display, but you know it is a iMac/MacBook because they show you the distinctive Mac menus.

Does it matter if they paid for it or not? Advertising is advertising, no matter what method is used.

Also, it isn't like Apple publishes a press release every time they pay for a placement. Where, exactly, would you find such evidence? Just because you can't find it doesn't mean they didn't pay for it.

That said, I'll point you to here. It says they don't pay for product placement, but they are behind it...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...041401670.html
  • Reply 76 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

He lives there full time. And, has very strong views on Apple and Japan (very legit, based on his personal experiences, although I do necessarily agree with him on Apple's need for a continuing role in Japan), and seems to know the Japanese market for computing-related electronics quite well.

This is random recollection from many many months of reading his prior posts (i.e., no inside info there....)

Thanks, the question wasn't really about Apple. From my random reading I thought he might be someone I know. Probably not, but I was curious.
  • Reply 77 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

officials hope to provide superior care by giving hospital workers tablets ...

No, only superior hospital workers can provide superior health care. Giving superior devices to incompetent workers will not provide superior service.
  • Reply 78 of 90
    Quote:

Sorry about that. Yes, I live in Japan full time.

Hopefully I can live up to knowing the market as well as anantksundaram suggests!
  • Reply 79 of 90
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Unfortunately, sterilization is a big issue in hospitals and it isn't simply as issue of keeping an MD or nurse's iPad away from patients with infections. Often a patient is admitted without knowing what they have. Only later are control measures applied. If an iPad is caught in that situation, what are they going to do with it?

If I were Apple, I'd be looking for engineers who know how to ruggedize, waterproof, and dust-proof mobile products. ICOM, maker of commercial and amateur two-way radios, has discovered that it often makes sense to military-spec products. Some customers need that ruggedness and will pay for it.

Apple is no longer a niche marketer. It should be looking into creating ruggedized versions of iPhones, iPod touches and the iPad.

I think you over-state the nature of the problem.

First, many facilities now use electronic medical records, and the most common way of accessing these systems is through computers mounted on carts (called cows) that get rolled around from room to room. These machines are not sterilized; they use standard keyboards and mice that cannot be run through an autoclave, yet there is no outcry about them.

Second, in health-care settings there are many devices which clinical care staff transport from room to room. There are Vocera badges, tracking badges, so called 'hospital phones' and the like which go with the clinician from room to room as a matter of course, and these are not seen as a significant vector for disease spread.

The biggest factor in hospital acquired infections is improper hand hygiene on the part of staff members; staff that don't properly wash their hands between handling patients and handling equipment, etc. The iPad is not any different from any other piece of equipment in the hospital that cannot be sterilized, and there are many many of them.
  • Reply 80 of 90
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Tablets in hospitals I can see happening. iPAD's in hospitals im not so sure, im in the UK so it definitely wont happen over hear. If it were running Mac OSX then I would find it more likely, but the closed nature of the iPhone OS makes me doubt it. Even with an enterprise option that skips the app store, it's still a massive device lock in, rather than being able to change to different hardware as it becomes available. Also looking to the future of devices there's no certainty of anything, Apple keep everything a secret and give you no indication of where there going with languages in the next 2 years. Your also completely reliant on the success of the device, what happens if it doesn't sell really well and one year into development your left with no hardware device? iPhone code isn't exactly portable to another system.

I think that one thing you miss, and that many other commentators miss, is the fact that many applications in health care settings are or could be web-based. It isn't necessary to develop and sell and app through the app store that targets the iPad as a client device.