"Drink Or Die" Network.....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
How many of you are burning CDs and wiping hard drives about now?

heehee...

I understand that it is theft and how it hurts the little-time programmers: but I also can't help but think that piracy, at least to some degree, actually keeps the market for software flowing and diverse and keeps people 'in the know' about what is available and how to use what they may HAve to pay for once they go into business using what they learned from pirated warez...

just some thoughts... any other thoughts besides the wrist-slapping chorus I expect?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Piracy like all crime is a necessary evil. It all forms a Cycle that balances. I forgot the book that explains this in much much better detail but viewing a world without piracy is just another Utopian Concept.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Piracy is unforunate and should not be done. I agree.

I also think that the aggressive measures taken by some companies *ahem*Microsoft*ahem* are out of line and degrading to their real customers. I am all for promoting creative endeavors like art, music, and software, but there are some rights, like privacy and choice, which the consumer should hold. Microsoft with its latestt licsence deal has stepped over its bounds.

I will support Napster when it returns in its legal form. I will gladly pay a small amount of money which will later be given to the owners and creators of the music. I will be even gladder if Napster returns to its original glory with millions of song files and recordings that are hard to find anywhere else.

Every single one of the 2,000 MP3s in my collection is ripped directly from my CD collection.

Software is roughly the same in my mind. I support the shareware concept and I proudly say that every piece of software that has stayed on my HD for more than 1 day has been paid for. I DO download things illegally from Carracho, and the ones I like, I go out and buy.

It's rampant stealing that I am opposed to. I feel it's OK to try something out, but to keep something for more than an arbitrary amount of time (one day of use is good), you should feel obliged to pay for it.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>Piracy like all crime is a necessary evil. It all forms a Cycle that balances. I forgot the book that explains this in much much better detail but viewing a world without piracy is just another Utopian Concept.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Foulcault would say that we need "the other one" to define whats normal. So the society produce its own criminals to define its own boarders. This way we know that to be normal you need to not break the law, make your own money, get married, be white, male, drink but not too much, don´t talk to walls, use Windows, be straight, not be overweight, don´t pick your nose and brush your teeth. If you don´t then its okay because then the society can use you to define whats bad and use you as the scape goat for itself
  • Reply 4 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>

Foulcault would say that we need "the other one" to define whats normal. So the society produce its own criminals to define its own boarders. This way we know that to be normal you need to not break the law, make your own money, get married, be white, male, drink but not too much, don´t talk to walls, use Windows, be straight, not be overweight, don´t pick your nose and brush your teeth. If you don´t then its okay because then the society can use you to define whats bad and use you as the scape goat for itself</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmm., ou raise a good pint. There's a big difference between a free range society and one in which an authoity can decide what is right.

The German Nazis of the early 20th century (and modern Nazis as far as I know) started the most comprehensive cleansing program ever. The most famous numbeddr of that cleansing, 6 million Jews, was only a small number of the many many millions that Germans killed in order to further the Aryan race and creed.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    CDHostage, your the first person who has almostp erfectly summed up my view on piracy. However I have a few "exceptions to the rule" points.

eg.

1. I see no problems with borrowing software. If you borrow a game of a friend, play it, return the CD, who cares. In my view its not piracy until you give back the CD and keep the game.

2. Shareware is cool, but often it will be something that goes on and off. Ive used windowblinds on my PC for ages, but off an on. Im not going to pay for it simply because its not at a point where I can leave it peranently on (it causes problems, big slowdowns, etc. however it is MUCH cheaper than Windows XP, which is the same thing). Kaleidoscope now... that kicked ass.

and the list goes on.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Anyone ever notice that people are all for free-flowing information, music and warez...and free love, too maaan...until they're the one's producing the information, music and warez? Or at least until they put themselves in those people's shoes?

If I spend several weeks or even months of time and effort to put out a nifty software gadget that Apple is not willing to produce, I would not be inclined to give it away. And even less inclined to support the theory that somehow the net community is "owed" that piece of software - that under no circumstance should they have to pay for it. What a load....

If you are kind enough (as some are) to freely share your music or software or whatever...fine. You da man (or wo-man). But that doesn't mean that the rest of them are somehow out of touch or "greedy" to want payment for their product. It take a lot of work to create something like SNAX (or good music even) Why in the hell does anyone think they deserve it for free?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    in a society where people were benevolent and cared about each other and where there was no money and people just shared everything and wrote software/music/all intellectual creation just for the sake of being of benefit to others, we wouldn't need to worry about these sorts of problems. unfortunately we have money, and people (and especially in general those who have a lot of it (like large corporations *cough*m$*cough*)) care more about it than about other people.

support the small shareware author who writes a little program which s/he thinks will be useful to people, and needs a few dollars compensation for his time so he can eat. m$ deserves nothing from anybody.

[Note: m$ is actually one company from which i would absolutely never pirate software, because i will never use their products.]
  • Reply 8 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Slashdot had a hilarious reaction to this story...

Where can I get some cool Linux warez?

ROTFLMAO!