iPad photos show slot for forward-facing video camera

Comments

• Reply 121 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Or it is a company that realises that a delivering a consistent experience is more important to users than playing Spotify while we read email. We asked the market what is the most important thing in a Smartphone?

Err. Multi-tasking?

Eh ehhhh - sorry. That isn't on the board. The market's top answer was consistency.

Consistency is helped when every app that launches gets 100% of the device's resources. The app doesn't have to share those resources with five or ten other apps in an unseemly bar-fight for CPU, RAM and battery.

I do think iPhone OS 4.0 will offer more ways of switching apps. And new ways of having some background activity.

But what Apple won't do is present you with a phone that is running at 10% of it's normal speed, and then have someone in tech-support explain that you have to open task-manager to shut down all the applications you forgot to close.

C.

Seriously, ask any iPhone user WHAT Multi-Tasking is. Hell ask any computer user NOT in a technical field what it is. They'll tell you it's when I minimize this window and work on this... So on the iPhone they already have "Multi-tasking" from their perspective.

What developers need is a Hybrid sleep system that will allow somewhat dynamic updating during sleep cycles IF the owner turns the Hybrid sleep function slider to ON. At which point whenever the phone is in sleep mode, awaiting a call, the hybrid functions can run on reduced cycles. Limit it to whatever you want. Although a new Apple iPhone app would be needed so when the phone owner realizes his full battery at 8am is now dead at noon WHAT application(s) killed it and allow him to turn Hybrid sleep OFF.

Just sayin...
  • Reply 122 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I had a similar impression that things were rushed or changed at the end. Steve's presentation seemed completely backwards, as there was none of his usual buildup and ka-pow! He basically went straight to the reveal and then seemed to be very low key and reserved the whole time. Also, Scott Forstall and Phil Schiller both looked nervous (especially Scott) and everyone looked like they hadn't slept in three days.

Yea, first time for a no show "One more thing..."
  • Reply 123 of 203
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    . . .
  • Reply 124 of 203
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I wouldn't rule out any surprise features for the iPad in the next few months. I don't think iPhone OS 3.2 will ever see the light of day on any device, for example. Seems to be a transitional OS for devs in the next 2 months to get some iPad apps out the door.
  • Reply 125 of 203
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:

Consistency is helped when every app that launches gets 100% of the device's resources. The app doesn't have to share those resources with five or ten other apps in an unseemly bar-fight for CPU, RAM and battery.

10 apps running in the background?

Quote:

But what Apple won't do is present you with a phone that is running at 10% of it's normal speed, and then have someone in tech-support explain that you have to open task-manager to shut down all the applications you forgot to close.

So you agree that iPhone users are not competent to handle multitasking? I seem to have a higher estimation of my fellows than you do. I also have a higher estimation of Apple: I think that they can implement it in a competent manner so that it is easy to use.
  • Reply 126 of 203
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Seriously, ask any iPhone user WHAT Multi-Tasking is. Hell ask any computer user NOT in a technical field what it is. They'll tell you it's when I minimize this window and work on this... So on the iPhone they already have "Multi-tasking" from their perspective.

Why do so many folks here twist words into pretzels?
  • Reply 127 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I wouldn't rule out any surprise features for the iPad in the next few months. I don't think iPhone OS 3.2 will ever see the light of day on any device, for example. Seems to be a transitional OS for devs in the next 2 months to get some iPad apps out the door.

Despite the perceived hardware shortcomings, what really matters is the expansion of playground real estate for the devs. I expect amazing new apps!
  • Reply 128 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

1 I also have a higher estimation of Apple: I think that they can implement it in a competent manner so that it is easy to use.

Isn't that what I just said?

Apple should allow apps to suspend and stay resident in memory for immediate resumption.

However, any abandoned app should be quitted by the OS - and not need the user to play policeman.

UI wise, I don't think Apple will distinguish between launching an app and resuming a suspended "active" app. They might do something minor like put a glow under the icon of apps which are suspended.

C.
  • Reply 129 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Multitasking works quite well on the current chip. Believe it or not, its not a matter of "it can't", it is a matter of a massive international corporation not letting you...

Yes I want to have the same experience as droid and palm users, you know my battery dying every 5 hours. Sorry I don't need multi-tasking that bad.
  • Reply 130 of 203
    It is NEVER a good idea to buy 1.0 of any product. This is especially true of Apple products. There generation 1 products are always missing key features that people want. I am going to have to pass on the iPad ( Although I like the design ) until they either support flash or the majority of the web moves away from flash. Since this is likely to take several years (to never), I'll probably pass on at least gen 1 & 2 and maybe 3....
  • Reply 131 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

. . .

My thoughts exactly.
  • Reply 132 of 203
    Please pretty please include a camera. Call it the iPad Pro. Once it has a camera for video conferencing, i'll get 2 of them!
  • Reply 133 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

. . .

Your best post ever!
  • Reply 134 of 203
    There is also the adverse:

They may have been "asked" to leak it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I'm sure this violates Mission Repair's confidentiality agreements. They must have done it to get publicity for their company. Apple may not be pleased. Risky stuff.

• Reply 135 of 203
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Amazing how many people believe this crap or think there is some kind of conspiracy as to why Apple left out a camera.

First of all, Apple would not be shipping out repair service parts for a product that is not even shipping yet. Second, why would anyone be surprised that Apple would design a product without the idea of future updates in mind?

The Power Mac G4 Cube was designed and included a mounting frame for an internal cooling fan; however, a fan was not needed in the 1st generation Cube. They obviously designed it with the possibility of faster Cubes requiring additional cooling. Later revisions could be cheaper since the design is already there. But the Cube was a major failure and it was discontinued without any faster models ever introduced.

Why would Apple go all out on a product that has no proven success rate? If it succeeds, they can add more features and have less cost since the design already includes the capability of future add-ons. If it fails, then Apple spent very little money developing the giant iPod Touch Grande.
  • Reply 136 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Amazing how many people believe this crap or think there is some kind of conspiracy as to why Apple left out a camera.

You put your finger on one of the reasons why this discussion is so silly. Does anybody remember the arguments here about how the very idea that a slate computer would have a camera would be ridiculous? How would you hold it steady? Who'd want to video conference on a tablet? Front mounted, back mounted, the angle is all wrong! Etc., etc., etc.

The bottom line is, if Apple leaves the camera out, they blew it. If they put the camera in, they blew it. If they leave a space to put one in later, they blew it. No matter what they do, they've already blown it.
  • Reply 137 of 203
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    As an iPhone developer myself I can tell you that there is in fact a space for a front facing camera. I happened to shine a flashlight on the top of the case of the demo units (a very bright one) you not only could see the space that the person shows (yes it's possible to order parts for authorized dealer if they know people). And second apple included in 3.2 SDK an ENTIRELY NEW take photo options that is TOO LARGE to be used on the iPhone. It's completely recreated. You can call the API, and it pops up in the emulator. It's very, very obvious there was a camera planned for this module.

Not only that of the 3 leaked shots that came out the night before, (the bolted down ipads) there is a cut-out area around the camera.

Two other "leaked" shots that were later confirmed also show a camera at the top as well.

I was at the announcement and held one myself. I've also talked with an authorized dealer in the bay area who is getting parts this weekend because he knows a guy who knows a guy yada yada. They do have access to the parts in advance.

I know the SDK had a special iPad camera interface, the photos show it, and this authorized dealer has on reason to lie, not to mention appleinsider and macrumors do check their sources.

Thanks.

hillstone and dr. millmoss, let me know when you have access to 3.2 SDK, write objective C, and get invited to apple media events. Stop spouting off stuff you no NOTHING ABOUT.

I'll put $5,000 on when you tear the iPad apart you see EXACTLY what was shown here. Care to wager. I've never lost a bet on AppleInsider, or Macrumors. In fact I've won $500.

-Drinking with Apple hardware engineers, later!
  • Reply 138 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post

hillstone and dr. millmoss, let me know when you have access to 3.2 SDK, write objective C, and get invited to apple media events. Stop spouting off stuff you no NOTHING ABOUT.

What the hell you coming at me for? My point was that people shouldn't necessarily believe something exists just because they've seen a picture on a web site. Or do I need to have access to a special SDK, write Objective C, and get invited to Apple media events to know that?
  • Reply 139 of 203
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I bet the camera was left off intentionally so that Steve can debut a face detecting software feature for revision 2. This revision is about the app store and pushing the devices into enterprise where cameras may be banned.
  • Reply 140 of 203
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post

let me know when you have access to 3.2 SDK

http://www.apple.com/ipad/sdk/

What's difficult about that?