Photo of Apple's next-generation iPhone in the wild - sources

Comments

• Reply 61 of 112
    Okay, this is not the first in-lab shot we've seen. Someone is running around the Cupertino secured labs with a cam snapping shots of Apple stuff. If they are so freakin' draconian, why isn't this mad snapper showing up on a police report somewhere as an "unidentified body" and a smashed device that may have been a camera or cellphone. No clues as to the identity of the victim where found - police are asking for assistance. Yeah see that's the way it SHOULD go down!
  • Reply 62 of 112
    The way I read it, the article is saying that photos of the next iPhone have been in the wild, but were overshadowed by all the iPad stuff. It's not saying that the phones themselves are out and about in the wild.

I think this is perfectly relevant news, if not big news. It's likely a real photo of the next iPhone. It doesn't reveal much, but whatever.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chaywesley View Post

Let me see if I understand the article correctly:

"We have absolutely no new information, but we don't want our ad revenue to slip, so we better post some regurgitated information with a tabloid headline."

I mean really, just look at the implication given by the article title: "Photo of Apple's next-generation iPhone in the wild". A photo of a partially obscured device in a secret lab somewhere hardly counts as "in the wild". Although, I'm sure the editor would argue that they are saying that the photo is in the wild, not the device itself.

I understand the desire to report new / rumored information, but please don't turn into the spectacle that the US news agencies created years ago when trying to be the "first" to call election results. First != Best.

• Reply 63 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Like the ones from Daniel, err "Prince McNotDreamyorSteamy" where he has diarrhea of the mouth and just rehashes the same old history over and over and over and OVER again.

are doomed to repeat it. Over and over and over and OVER again.

Lighten up Francis.
  • Reply 64 of 112
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

they are quoting Jobs' response to an oral impromptu question (by Mossberg or whoever). Honestly its not a big deal, everyone knows what he means, and I'm sure if he were to write a book he would correct the egregious error.

Yeah, I know it's just a technicality and it's easy to see what he meant.

But, as dull as it is, discussing said grammatical technicality is infinitely more interesting than trying to make something out of this poor excuse for an article.
  • Reply 65 of 112
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

are doomed to repeat it. Over and over and over and OVER again.

Lighten up Francis.

The point about McDumdum is usually the historical rants have nothing to do with the article. I would read 3 pages of historical vomit then 1/2 a paragraph (i.e., 2 sentences) that ties into the title which drew me into reading it in the first place. So advice on reading his/her future articles is to skip to the last paragraph and bypass the vomit.
  • Reply 66 of 112
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    It looks like a mini iPhone!
  • Reply 67 of 112
    I can't figure out why this photo was swept under the rug last week.
  • Reply 68 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I find it interesting that the iPhone is in the same top secret room as the iPad prototype. It is also interesting that the iPhone display shows it in restore mode and not running. How many times did we call BS on an iPhone photo that turned to be real?

The juxtaposition of the iPad and iPhone (4G or not) is interesting on several levels:

1) why are the 2 devices shown together?

2) to what is the iPhone connected? the iPad?

3) does this mean that the 2 devices are intended to interconnect?

4) if so how and to what end:

-- USB, WiFi, BT?

-- sync, backup?

-- share files, data, apps?

-- tether iPad to iPhone?

-- share I/O capabilities:

----camera?

----cell phone?

----GPS?

----displays/touch surfaces?

Is there a synergy between the devices that we haven't divined yet?

• Reply 69 of 112
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mclarenf1 View Post

This site would be perfect if it didn't spend time trying get hits from TOTALLY USELESS ARTICLES LIKE THIS ONE!!!! Shheeeesh!

Go away if you don't like it.

Listening to your drivel is far worse.
  • Reply 70 of 112
    "Our chips don't use hardly any power."

That does not sound like Steve Jobs to me. His English is not this poor. Really this story is a disappointment, yes everyone knows Apple will release a new iPhone in June, yes everyone knows it will be identical (or nearly so) to the previous iterations - that is how Apple does business improving on a successful design for as long as possible, and yes everyone knows it is probably being manufactured in China right now.

Disappointing, not the iPhone, this story is.
  • Reply 71 of 112
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    If the new iPhone we'll probably see next July has Apple's A4 processor or a derivative, I think we'll be seeing quite a bit better battery life in the new iPhone than we get now. Here's why: Jobs said, when asked about battery life on the iPad, "It's all about the display." So if the display is the primary battery hog, then an iPhone will consume 1/8th the power of an iPad, since the iPhone's screen has 1/8th the square inches as an iPad (5.65in^2 vs 45.16in^2). Now if the iPhone had the same battery as the iPad (10 hrs of run time), it would get 80 hours of run time on it. But it doesn't. It's battery is only 18% the size of the iPad's (4.5watt-hrs vs 25watt-hrs), so it would get 18% of those 80 hours, or 14.5 hours. When you add in the additional power needed for an iPhone to be running a 3G radio all the time, and actually using it some, then those 14.5 hours would be cut substantially? half would be a fair assumption. So my SWAG on the run time of the new iPhone will be 7-8 hours of continuos video, with some web time added in there for browsing & email, and for a reasonable number of phone calls. I believe that's quite a bit better than what I get now.

I'm NOT taking bets on this.
  • Reply 72 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The juxtaposition of the iPad and iPhone (4G or not) is interesting on several levels:

1) why are the 2 devices shown together?

2) to what is the iPhone connected? the iPad?

3) does this mean that the 2 devices are intended to interconnect?

4) if so how and to what end:

-- USB, WiFi, BT?

-- sync, backup?

-- share files, data, apps?

-- tether iPad to iPhone?

-- share I/O capabilities:

----camera?

----cell phone?

----GPS?

----displays/touch surfaces?

Is there a synergy between the devices that we haven't divined yet?

To show the size comparison =\\ Yesh people sure are reaching and grabbing nothing but air.
  • Reply 73 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greenfirefly View Post

That does not sound like Steve Jobs to me. His English is not this poor. Really this story is a disappointment, yes everyone knows Apple will release a new iPhone in June, yes everyone knows it will be identical (or nearly so) to the previous iterations - that is how Apple does business improving on a successful design for as long as possible, and yes everyone knows it is probably being manufactured in China right now.

Disappointing, not the iPhone, this story is.

Why don't you watch Walt Mossberg's interview and see it from his mouth?

I would have loved to hear Steve's on the spot answering of either:

"You defended no multitasking on the iPhone as a reason to save battery life. With 10 hours of battery life on the iPad, what's the reasoning now?"

"Wouldn't having a forward facing camera like Mac laptops make sense on the iPad?"
  • Reply 74 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

To show the size comparison =\\ Yesh people sure are reaching and grabbing nothing but air.

Then, why not just use a standard, running, iPhone?

Why the need for a special iPhone case, speciaally printed stickers, blocked areas, recovery mode and the cable to nowhere?

Seriously, if just to show the size difference why go to all that trouble/effort?

If you've got nothing to hide, why wear a fig leaf?

• Reply 75 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

oooOOOooo - maybe they've developed transparent aluminum!

Oldnews.
    "To create transparent aluminum, more power than is used by an entire city had to be focused into a diameter of less than one-twentieth of a thickness of a human hair, and then could only be maintained in the transparent state for 40 femtoseconds."
    Pretty much confirms it's gonna have a replaceable battery.
  • Reply 76 of 112
    haven't really read peoples responses but hasn't it occured that maybe apple is going to use the march/april iPad launch to launch iPhone OS 4????

i mean it wouldn't make much sense to release it running 3.2 if two months later your going to launch a new phone with new os.

My prediction is iPad running os4 in march april, everyone salivates and buys it, june july new iphone running new os, everyone salivates once again regrets buying that 64gb ipad and decide to break the bank and buy the new iphone too.

my ideal upgrades to the iphone would have to be:

aluminum enclosure with an ipad like opening for 3G

better battery life(by far, like my bb9700)

true multitasking

maybe bluetooth syncing for when i forget my cable

somekind of bbm for iphones, it would get that exclusive club feel and would be an improvement over regular sms

front facing camera with a new photobooth app(like on macs)

landscape keyboard everywhere (hate the portrait like a zillion tipoes)

some kind of theme customization, at least a background, like blackberries, dont have to load more than one theme from factory, but at least make it an option for people to design and sell in the app store

cable to sync ipad from iphone or vice versa or possibly cross syncing through bluetooth

bigger speaker that doesnt get muted by my hand position while gaming

change the volume rocker and mute switch to the right side

yeah I know, one can dream alot, if apple did everything people wanted sites like ai wouldnt have people ranting about cdma iphones and stuff lol
  • Reply 77 of 112
    Hey look, it's the iPhone 3GSS with mote speed you don't need!
  • Reply 78 of 112
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Umm...

What is a 4G iPhone supposed to look like?

Not only that, we learned that scaling up a blurry picture didn't expose any more detail. Shocking.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Red text for this?

All the red text means is that it's being clicked more often than usual. It's not a manual setting.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

These articles are from people, not professional editors with staff hired to spell check for syntax and spelling.

I still think it's fair complaint. AI is not big like a typical newspaper, but it is still a for-profit site. The writers often try to mimic professional journalistic writing style, but with unprofessional errors. That's like dressing up in a suit but leaving the shirt untucked. If they had "blue jeans & t-shirt" writing style, then it wouldn't seem so off.
  • Reply 79 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

so they use lots of power?

yaaa, so do they or don't.. what was he trying to say? heh.
  • Reply 80 of 112
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I still think it's fair complaint. They're trying to mimic professional journalistic writing style, but with unprofessional errors. That's like dressing up in a suit but leaving the shirt untucked. If they had "blue jeans & t-shirt" writing style, then it wouldn't seem so off.

Yes, but they need to keep in mind that these are not professional editorials with such staff. If I'm getting my news from neighbor, I don't expect him to put on a suit and tie. Some folks are being just a bit to sensitive about silly typos. It wastes everyone's time wading through post after post pointing out the obvious. Why not just e-mail the author and tell them? The only reason I can think of is that it gives that person a sense of superiority, which is wasted on everyone else. It certainly doesn't evoke admiration on my part to see someone else pointing out syntax errors.