Apple releases iPhone OS 3.1.3 with battery reporting fix

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday afternoon released version 3.1.3 of its iPhone OS software for the iPhone and iPod touch, bringing with it improved accuracy of reported battery level on the iPhone 3GS.

The update also reportedly resolves an issue where third-party applications would not launch in some instances. It also addresses a bug that could cause applications to crash when using the Japanese Kana keyboard.

iPhone OS 3.1.3 also includes a number of security updates related to CoreAudio, ImageIO, Recovery Mode and WebKit. Full details are available in the support document on Apple's Web site.

The update for the iPhone and iPod touch operating system is available for download through iTunes.

The last update, iPhone OS 3.1.2, arrived last October. It fixed an issue that would cause the iPhone to not wake from sleep, and resolved a glitch that could interrupt cellular network services until restart.

Last week, iPhone OS 3.2 was revealed as part of the new multi-touch iPad. For now, the operating system upgrade is for the iPad hardware only, which is scheduled to launch before the end of March.

iPhone OS 3.2 offers a number of enhancements over the current operating system, including a home screen that can be viewed either horizontally or vertically. It is not yet known what additional features in the iPad version of the iPhone OS could show up in the iPhone or iPod touch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    bricked my iphone while updating

and on macrumors they say it doesn't fix the playlist sync bug which i just came across as well
  • Reply 2 of 66
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Can it be jailbroken again?
  • Reply 3 of 66
    from a macrumors post

3.1.3 closes the usb_control_msg exploit used by blackrain.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    I'll just wait for people to report the issues and wait for a jailbreak. I am curious if they updated the modem firmware.
  • Reply 5 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

from a macrumors post

3.1.3 closes the usb_control_msg exploit used by blackrain.

Ah, now we see the real reason for the update- no, not to fix any real bugs, but to fix the small number of jailbroken devices.

No idea why apple even cares if the iPod Touch is jailbroken... seems it should have been open completely from the beginning - close down the iPhone as it's on a carrier with other users, perhaps, but open up everything for the iPod touch. But, no, that'd be to hard for Apple, let's just make a cheap iPhone and only restrict apps that require the phone function. Much easier.

-Allen
  • Reply 6 of 66
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a11en View Post

Ah, now we see the real reason for the update- no, not to fix any real bugs, but to fix the small number of jailbroken devices.

You mean "break" a number of devices, eh?
  • Reply 7 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    ...make sure you backup your device first.

...if your iPhone is jailbroken wait until you certain it can be done again.

Quote:

bricked my iphone while updating

and on macrumors they say it doesn't fix the playlist sync bug which i just came across as well

I've never seen an iPhone get bricked. Put it into DFU mode.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denmaru View Post

Can it be jailbroken again?

If you're asking about it on this forum an hour after it hit then I am not sure you should be jailbreaking your iPhone.
  • Reply 8 of 66
    i wasn't JB'd either

gave me an error, asked if i wanted to send to apple and it said i was in DFU and had to restore my phone as new
  • Reply 9 of 66
    I always cross my finger when a new update comes out that they will finally fix VPN. It's starting to get really ridiculous that it has been broken for 7-8 months now.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    My update went off without a hitch.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    Oh, almost forgot to mention...

The update also installed Video iChat and activated the hidden front-facing camera.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    Surprisingly, iPhone still substitutes "upas" for "iPad"
  • Reply 13 of 66
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I guess we are stuck with 3.1.x until 4.0 comes out on July. Well, at least we will see 4.0 beta in March.
  • Reply 14 of 66
    s8er01zs8er01z Posts: 144member
    Dissapointed in the patch notes (as usual)... hope this fixes all the random crashes and dropped calls I have now. Not going to hold my breath though with the next phone/big update around the corner I'm guessing this was nothing short of a 'hold them over' release.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a11en View Post

No idea why apple even cares if the iPod Touch is jailbroken... seems it should have been open completely from the beginning - close down the iPhone as it's on a carrier with other users, perhaps, but open up everything for the iPod touch. But, no, that'd be to hard for Apple, let's just make a cheap iPhone and only restrict apps that require the phone function. Much easier.

-Allen

Jailbreaking does not mean unlocking
  • Reply 16 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

I always cross my finger when a new update comes out that they will finally fix VPN. It's starting to get really ridiculous that it has been broken for 7-8 months now.

WOOT! They finally fixed VPN. That made this update well worth it for me!
  • Reply 17 of 66
    Update went smoothly. Although my iPhone isn't Jail Broken
  • Reply 18 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

WOOT! They finally fixed VPN. That made this update well worth it for me!

what was the vpn issue?
  • Reply 19 of 66
    iTunes updated, iPhone updated.

No problems.

But then no hackery or jailbreaking.
  • Reply 20 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

i wasn't JB'd either

gave me an error, asked if i wanted to send to apple and it said i was in DFU and had to restore my phone as new

Did it go through? You then get to restore your saved filed with the caveat of also putting all your media fies back,too. THis takes time. Then you're right as rain... thought I'd do another rebookt just to be sure.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I guess we are stuck with 3.1.x until 4.0 comes out on July. Well, at least we will see 4.0 beta in March.

I'd say that is most likely. think we get 3.2.x at some point before June, unless we pay the $99 for the iPhone OS 4.0 Beta. I'll pay for the beta this time if it has features i want to play with.