Apple releases iPhone OS 3.1.3 with battery reporting fix

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'd say that is most likely. think we get 3.2.x at some point before June, unless we pay the $99 for the iPhone OS 4.0 Beta. I'll pay for the beta this time if it has features i want to play with.

Don't get the 4.0 beta if you want to sell your iPhone. Who knows how long it will take them to JB
  • Reply 22 of 66
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i wasn't JB'd either

gave me an error, asked if i wanted to send to apple and it said i was in DFU and had to restore my phone as new

If you can restore it, then it isn't "bricked" is it?

Bricked is frozen/broken beyond repair. That's the whole point of the term. It "turns the device into a brick." What happened here is you had problems updating and had to do a restore. Not the same thing at all.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

WOOT! They finally fixed VPN. That made this update well worth it for me!

What was wrong with it, it always worked for me?!?
  • Reply 24 of 66
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a11en View Post

Ah, now we see the real reason for the update- no, not to fix any real bugs, but to fix the small number of jailbroken devices. ...

This is just BS conspiracy theory stuff.

You have to be twelve to actually believe this crap, and you just make yourself look stupid posting this kind of thing on a public forum. Lucky for you, you are anonymous.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

If you can restore it, then it isn't "bricked" is it?

Bricked is frozen/broken beyond repair. That's the whole point of the term. It "turns the device into a brick." What happened here is you had problems updating and had to do a restore. Not the same thing at all.

Whatever - as a matter of fact, the update crashed my iPhone as well and put it into maintenance mode. Restoring now

Might be a bug within the update

(EDIT: The phone was not jailbroken and running OS 3.1.2)
  • Reply 26 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Don't get the 4.0 beta if you want to sell your iPhone. Who knows how long it will take them to JB

Last year Dev Team held off on jailbreak releases because they were coming too fast. Finally GeoHot stepped up. I don't think it'll be a problem this year. I think they may have exploits that Apple doesn't know about yet If they don't, I'll hold off. I'm mostly interested in knowing what is coming with the v4.0 SDK and associated App Store changes.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    My first try failed.

Got to be logged into the store in the country in which your phone has been activated (I've got accounts in a few countries).

This hasn't been required in the past.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    strange issue

tried to set up my Exchange account and it wouldn't take my password. I even RDP'd into one of my VM's at work to make sure i wasn't locked out due to multiple bad password attempts.

rebooted iphone and it worked
  • Reply 29 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkyp56 View Post

What was wrong with it, it always worked for me?!?

For me and many others on Apple Discussions, it simply would not connect to VPN. I have a Mac OS X Server, although other people had different servers, and it hasn't been able to connect since the 3.1 update. It would timeout because the phone wouldn't respond to config-requests with either PPTP or L2TP. I had no problem connecting via any other VPN client, but any iPhone post 3.1 would not connect... until now.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    No problems here, but then again, I haven't tinkered with my phone.
  • Reply 31 of 66
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Hopefully the Jailbreak fix will make the iPhone more secure so Apple can continue it's move into the enterprise space.

My iPhone is officially unlocked, updates don't bother me, I can still use any SIM.
  • Reply 32 of 66
    tac22tac22 Posts: 20member
    i have the first gen touch and this update killed it. Its anything but snappier. it takes atleast 2 second to change from portrait to landscape in just the mail app. And it broke my sync with my contacts and calendar over mobileme.... sigh.... i need to upgrade
  • Reply 33 of 66
    I just installed 3.1.3 on my 3G without issue. It DOES seem to have fixed, at least partially, the stuttering and slow scrolling through the podcast listing! It is still not 100% smooth, but the difference is night-and-day better than it was before.

So, if you were experiencing this issue, try the update as it might help!

Also, after updating, my 3G was HOT! It did cool down, but initially it was quite hot to the touch and stayed warm for a good 10-15 minutes.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

Oh, almost forgot to mention...

The update also installed Video iChat and activated the hidden front-facing camera.

And Flash too! Whoopie!!!!

No seriously this guy Tobias has gotten Flash to work on iPhone. It works with simple timeline type of swf (read ads). I downloaded it and set it up on my server and it works. It is written 100% in JS so it cannot be blocked by ClicktoFlash unfortunately. It is also unfortunate that it doesn't work with my complex Actionscript Flash applications.

Check it out.

http://paulirish.com/work/gordon/demos/
  • Reply 35 of 66
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    If anything, I've found the battery level on the 3GS to be much more accurate. My old 2G and 3G always were skewed after getting past the 50% point, they would disappear in about half the time it to to use up the first 50%.

3GS seems to much more accurately reflect remaining life.

Did I read this wrong? Perhaps the update applies the 3GS battery reading results to the older models?
  • Reply 36 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

If anything, I've found the battery level on the 3GS to be much more accurate. My old 2G and 3G always were skewed after getting past the 50% point, they would disappear in about half the time it to to use up the first 50%.

Did I read this wrong? Perhaps the update applies the 3GS battery reading results to the older models?

The 3gs is the only non jailbroken iphone/itouch that shows the battery icon and can show a digital display of how much battery is left, like 97%. I think that the update will improve the accuracy of that #.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brendan View Post

The 3gs is the only non jailbroken iphone/itouch that shows the battery icon and can show a digital display of how much battery is left, like 97%. I think that the update will improve the accuracy of that #.

Heh..I was just going by visual scale. I didn't realize the option was even there to display a percent. I see it on my 3GS, but not on my 3G. Haven't updated it on either though yet. Was the accuracy of the scale supposed to be off on the 3GS or the 3G, or was this update simply to allow pre 3GS to see a percent?
  • Reply 38 of 66
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:

Say what? Like I really need an update to get a more accurate reading rather than an update which actually inmproves the battery life?? And you're all getting a slower device now?

NO way- I'll pass.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

And you're all getting a slower device now?

NO way- I'll pass.

Who said that? I'll say it again, mine seems fine at the moment, if not a little bit perkier.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    Quote:

Heh..I was just going by visual scale. I didn't realize the option was even there to display a percent. I see it on my 3GS, but not on my 3G. Haven't updated it on either though yet. Was the accuracy of the scale supposed to be off on the 3GS or the 3G, or was this update simply to allow pre 3GS to see a percent?

I updated my itouch 3g and there is no option to add a digital battery display song with the picture, so I guess it is just to make the 3gs digital battery display more accurate. If you want a digital display you'll just have to download some free app off the app store.