iTunes soon in Cocoa?

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Hi everyone!

I don't know if anyone did notice but the iTunes App on the iPad seemed kind of sophisticated and capable. I think this is a sign that the process of rewriting iTunes in Cocoa is on a good way and we will see 64bit enabled iTunes X for Mac soon.

Maybe they reduce its functionality a bit like in Quicktime X or outsource some functionality.

Like a seperate App Store App or a Movie App.

What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpcg View Post

Hi everyone!

I don't know if anyone did notice but the iTunes App on the iPad seemed kind of sophisticated and capable.

That app you think is iTunes--on the iPad--is the iPod.

iTunes needs to be rewrote, most people know this.

Quote:

I think this is a sign that the process of rewriting iTunes in Cocoa is on a good way and we will see 64bit enabled iTunes X for Mac soon.

iTunes X comes after 9.

Quote:

Maybe they reduce its functionality a bit like in Quicktime X or outsource some functionality.

Like a seperate App Store App or a Movie App.

What do you think?

I think what you're looking for is more of a clean up, change of concept than a code rewrite, which is what it really needs. Separating it into a few apps is not the solution, which makes sense for iBooks. No, the solution is to accept it's bloated, and rewrite the app to do that same with speed in mind.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    As if his opinion of himself isn't high enough, but it's worth linking on this occasion.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

As if his opinion of himself isn't high enough...

Must admit, I love Gruber's tech writing, even when I don't agree with him.

But his Twitter feed is an unfollowable bag o' shite about rounders and some weird nonce version of Rugby League that seems to require the soft players to be padded up.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I like iTunes. Its a rock solid application that does most of what it should. And what it does it does good. Why change it, just because some gimmic has a flashy media player?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post

I like iTunes. Its a rock solid application that does most of what it should. And what it does it does good. Why change it, just because some gimmic has a flashy media player?

iTunes has become slower than it once was. It's not about just "changing" it, but more about "polishing" it.