AT&T, Sling Media partner to allow 3G access on iPhone SlingPlayer

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T announced Thursday that it would allow the SlingPlayer Mobile application for the iPhone to stream video over the wireless provider's nationwide 3G network.

Sling Media's SlingPlayer allows users to watch video recorded at home from anywhere on the go. Previously, the SlingPlayer Mobile application for the iPhone was limited to Wi-Fi-only access to streaming video, due to bandwidth concerns on the 3G network.

But AT&T revealed that it has worked with Sling Media to ensure the SlingPlayer Mobile application has been optimized to run on its high-speed 3G network. Sling Media created a new version of its application that conserves bandwidth for 3G data connections, and AT&T has been testing the new software since December. Thursday, AT&T revealed it has notified both Apple and Sling Media that the new, "optimized" application is acceptable for use on its 3G network.

"Just as we've worked with Sling Media in this instance, we look forward to collaborating with other developers so that mobile customers can access a wider, more bandwidth-sensitive, and powerful range of applications in the future," said Ralph de la Vega, president and CEO, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets.

"Collaboration with developers like Sling Media ensures that all apps are optimized for our 3G network to conserve wireless spectrum and reduce the risk that an app will cause such extreme levels of congestion that they disrupt the experience of other wireless customers. Our focus continues to be on delivering the nation's most advanced mobile broadband experience and giving our customers the widest possible array of mobile applications."

Streaming video recorded at home requires the purchase of a Slingbox, which can be purchased direct from Sling Media at $179.99 for the Slingbox Solo, or $299.99 for the Slingbox Pro-HD. Slightly lower prices are available from Amazon.

"We're delighted with AT&T's decision to approve the SlingPlayer Mobile app on their 3G network," said John Gilmore, senior vice president and general manager at Sling Media. "SlingPlayer Mobile on AT&T's 3G network gives customers the best experience possible for watching their home TV while on the go."

Last year, the $30 App Store application (iTunes Preview) was introduced with support for Wi-Fi only. As of Thursday morning, the new 3G-compatible version was not yet made available for download. When it debuted, AppleInsider gave a positive review of the SlingPlayer Mobile application.

Last May, AT&T said it did not allow a 3G version of SlingPlayer on the iPhone because it would use too much bandwidth and could "prevent other customers from using the network. Now, AT&T has advertised it will provide developers with wireless network optimization requirements for video and other applications by the end of March at its developer-oriented Web site, developer.att.com.

In early January, AT&T announced its new "Virtual Innovation Lab" and two "Innovation Centers," which the company said

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    Would love to see a 3G iPod Touch... with the same 3G data plans that'll be available with the iPad. I've always wanted an iPhone for the mobile internet, but I'm not a big phone person, and can't be bothered getting into a big monthly cell phone contract.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Surely the Google Voice app is next.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    It's about freakin' time! There have been so many times that I just want to listen to the audio of a football/basketball game but it bombs out because of 3G - this will be great
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CdnBook View Post

Would love to see a 3G iPod Touch... with the same 3G data plans that'll be available with the iPad. I've always wanted an iPhone for the mobile internet, but I'm not a big phone person, and can't be bothered getting into a big monthly cell phone contract.

You want want an iPod with a 3G data plan?

That's easy... buy an iPhone and get the data only plan that AT&T offers for the deaf.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/ar...for-iphone.jsp
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fulldecent View Post

You want want an iPod with a 3G data plan?

That's easy... buy an iPhone and get the data only plan that AT&T offers for the deaf.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/ar...for-iphone.jsp

Not quite that easy - you have to certify that you're hard of hearing and have to give the name, title and license # of the agent who certified you as deaf...

Of course that's stupid because they are losing out on a revenue stream this way because of people like CdnBook who'd get a 3G only iPhone but don't want to pay for the phone services.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

It's about freakin' time! There have been so many times that I just want to listen to the audio of a football/basketball game but it bombs out because of 3G - this will be great

Maybe I'm missing your point but if your 3G service was bombing out on audio why would it be better for video?
  • Reply 7 of 40
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Maybe I'm missing your point but if your 3G service was bombing out on audio why would it be better for video?

They must have a secret update coming that will cover the US in red. ;-)
  • Reply 8 of 40
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Not quite that easy - you have to certify that you're hard of hearing and have to give the name, title and license # of the agent who certified you as deaf...

Of course that's stupid because they are losing out on a revenue stream this way because of people like CdnBook who'd get a 3G only iPhone but don't want to pay for the phone services.

Not exactly. AT&T's network, as we have all seen, is not infallible, and it is not currently capable of supporting that many 3G users, at least, not at those costs.

The iPad is one thing. It will sell a few million in the first year. A few million the year after.

iPhone/iPod touch? Already in the tens of millions in the U.S. and growing strong. If AT&T suddenly enabled "data only" plans for these customers (if the iPod touch were capable), the network consumption vs. revenue would skew wildly out of control.

It's no secret that AT&T makes a killing off of Voice & SMS plans. The only real value is in the data plan. Requirng iPhone customers to sport all 3 plans at once, essentially makes it an "Unlimited" device at around $80-$110 a month, average.

That's a big difference from the iPad, also "Unlimited" for $15-30 depending on needs. AT&T won't be making any money of these plans, or the devices themselves. All it did was advertise their network, and (probably) bought a whole a new level of trust from Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Quote:

Perhaps because,as the article says, if it has been optimized for ATT's 3G network, neither should 'bomb out' in the new, optimized version?
  • Reply 10 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Perhaps because,as the article says, if it has been optimized for ATT's 3G network, neither should 'bomb out' in the new, optimized version?

I meant bomb out as in it wouldn't even load at all. It says "oh, you're on 3G? Ok, you get nothing." I suppose I should have made that more clear - sorry.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Not exactly. AT&T's network, as we have all seen, is not infallible, and it is not currently capable of supporting that many 3G users, at least, not at those costs.

The iPad is one thing. It will sell a few million in the first year. A few million the year after.

iPhone/iPod touch? Already in the tens of millions in the U.S. and growing strong. If AT&T suddenly enabled "data only" plans for these customers (if the iPod touch were capable), the network consumption vs. revenue would skew wildly out of control.

It's no secret that AT&T makes a killing off of Voice & SMS plans. The only real value is in the data plan. Requirng iPhone customers to sport all 3 plans at once, essentially makes it an "Unlimited" device at around $80-$110 a month, average.

That's a big difference from the iPad, also "Unlimited" for $15-30 depending on needs. AT&T won't be making any money of these plans, or the devices themselves. All it did was advertise their network, and (probably) bought a whole a new level of trust from Apple.

The TAP plan is $50/month for the 3G/3Gs so I think with that price they could manage it - at the $30 price for the iPad - probably not.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    I'll reserve judgement til I see the quality but all I need from AT&T and Apple is tethering, fix NYC's network and background tasks. After that I won't need to jailbreak.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Quote:

I meant bomb out as in it wouldn't even load at all. It says "oh, you're on 3G? Ok, you get nothing." I suppose I should have made that more clear - sorry.

Got it... I don't have the Sling Box, am looking in to it, but I thought they may have had a 3G version like EyeTv that uses an 'optimized 3g' compression and a web app and that it was your 3G service that couldn't handle it.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    I honestly never thought AT&T would agree to this.

Thank you Sling and AT&T!
  • Reply 15 of 40
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I'll reserve judgement til I see the quality but all I need from AT&T and Apple is tethering, fix NYC's network and background tasks. After that I won't need to jailbreak.

8am i get close to 3000 kbps on a speedtest in midtown manhattan. after 1pm around 1000. used to be 1/4 of that before the upgrade.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Exactly. Which begs the question, how will the underground treat the ipad? I know they have a flash plugin for safarie, so one can only wonder if all their talent, 5 rows, quick slide, teethering, mutitasking, video on non 3gs phones, background apps, and ao much more, if they will turn the ipad into the device people really want.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    My Elgato EyeTV Hybrid has had 3G live tv for a while. It's awesome, I used it alot during the football season when I was on the road.

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/main...TV-app.en.html
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:

Got it... I don't have the Sling Box, am looking in to it, but I thought they may have had a 3G version like EyeTv that uses an 'optimized 3g' compression and a web app and that it was your 3G service that couldn't handle it.

It's been really invaluable to me. My g/f and I watch a lot of TV shows together but a lot of time I'm not there to watch it with her and we'd get so far behind on the stuff we like it was just nearly pointless. Since she got me the slingbox (for Christmas - awesome!) we've stayed up with almost all of our shows and when we'd go over to a friends house to watch a big football game or something I could watch the basketball game I was missing on my phone and, surprisingly, it really doesn't mow through the battery like you'd expect.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:

so you're one of the bandwidth hogs that's causing all my calls in NYC to drop.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    *yawn*

here's the humble iPhone screen, which contains apps for watching TV/video/movies in Europe...