iTunes Preview now allows browser-based App Store access

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple this week expanded its browser-based iTunes Preview, now allowing users to view information on software within the App Store without ever launching iTunes.

Web site links to the iTunes Preview page can be obtained by choosing the "Copy Link" option within the iTunes application. The URL then takes users to an Apple-hosted site that provides a description, price and screenshots of any application on the App Store for the iPhone and iPod touch.

While the iTunes Preview pages do offer a great deal of information about specific applications on the App Store, browsing for new software is not as robust as it is in the standalone iTunes application, or even through iTunes Preview for the music store. For example, clicking on "View More by this Developer" attempts to open iTunes, rather than redirecting to another iTunes Preview Web page.

While links to other applications are available through the "Customers Also Bought" section, there is currently no way to search for specific applications within the browser-based preview.

Users can, however, view system requirements, customer reviews, software update details for specific applications, and are provided direct links to the developer's official Web site and support pages.

Last fall, Apple quietly introduced iTunes Preview, which gave customers the option to view content from the iTunes Music Store without ever launching the media player. Shortly after, Apple added the ability to preview songs with 30-second samples playing from within the browser.

Speculation that Apple could introduce a Web-based iTunes service became rampant in December after Apple purchased streaming music service Lala for $85 million. Apple is rumored to be working on a new usage model that would allow consumers to access and manage their iTunes purchases directly through the Internet, on any device, without downloading the content locally, or even running the iTunes software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Sweet! Now we've got two interfaces for the same thing, and the new one is less functional than the old.

But hey at least the Apple devs will be able to cluck about "web standards" (bow, scrape) for a few days before the reality of the above sinks in.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Like i said for the 30 sec preview going web based:

"A feature nonetheless, but not so useful nonetheless."

If you cannot yet purchase the app without iTunes, it just seems Apple is keeping some interns busy with such "features".
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Hey People, I hadn't seen this before.

Do you know where Apple ripped off iBooks?

Take a look of this:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...294773236&mt=8

Apple is just fucking ripping these guys.

What do they say:

Quote:

Many of you have been contacting us with questions about Apple's recently announced iBooks for iPad. We have no involvement, but we are proud to have influenced the future user interface of digital reading.

Ain't that nice and generous of them? Not even asked. What shit is this?
  • Reply 4 of 33
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    It was pretty obvious this would happen after acquiring Lala.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Sweet! Now we've got two interfaces for the same thing, and the new one is less functional than the old.

But hey at least the Apple devs will be able to cluck about "web standards" (bow, scrape) for a few days before the reality of the above sinks in.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chintan100 View Post

Like i said for the 30 sec preview going web based:

"A feature nonetheless, but not so useful nonetheless."

If you cannot yet purchase the app without iTunes, it just seems Apple is keeping some interns busy with such "features".

I think you two are being harsh. Apple could have gone the MobileMe route by releasing it "feature complete" to the public despite no external testing. I wish they would have released it to a few people at a time akin to how Google often does it, but they did it.

That methodology doesn't quite work with an open store but they can build it piece by piece. I would expect Apple will make a huge deal about it once it's complete. The second comings of the iTunes Store. Perhaps by then iTunes X will have the 64-bit/Cocoa rewrite it needs, but that seems like a September announcement.

PS: If Apple thinks Chrome OS will gain any traction they'll have to make a web-based version of iTunes to sync iDevices. Apple can't loose this potentially large base of users without risking future demise of their popular app.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Take a look of this:

What do they say:

http://www.cultofmac.com/delicious-m...nterface/28647

A lot of commentators on the iPad noticed the similarity between Delicious Library and the iBooks virtual bookshelves for the display of e-book titles. So did Delicious Monsters Wil Shipley.

Talking to the Washington Post, Shipley seemed upset? but also seemed to understand.

But the thing about iBooks is, it?s a book-reader. So, of course they looked around, found the best interface for displaying books (Delicious Library?s shelves), and said: yup, this is what we?re doing?

Shipley then notes that he actually understands why Apple couldn?t write him a check: it would have been taken as a legal admission that Apple copied his design, and since Delicious Library?s UI isn?t copyrighted or patented, it actually would open up culpability, not close it.

But Shipley then continued with some somber thoughts on what it feels like as an author to see your work copied, yet unrecognized:

As a creator, part of what I seek is recognition, immortality. I don?t work for Apple, or Google (I?ve been offered jobs & buyouts) because I want the fame myself. It?s my shot at immortality. My designs are my children. So it stinks when I feel like Steve might get the fame for my innovation. I lose my children, as it were.

But your children aren?t really yours. They have lives of their own. So when your designs do change the world, you have to accept it. You have to say, ?Ok, this was such a good idea, other people took it and ran with it. I win.?

I think this is an adult reaction, and as Shipley notes, it seems like he?s turned down the same job offers that Apple made most of his Delicious Library colleagues.

Still, it does seem like some bad cricket on Apple?s part. The inspiration and, some might say, downright plagiarism seems pretty clear: it?s frankly impossible that Apple was unfamiliar with Shipley?s work.

Ultimately, though, it seems like Shipley is resigned to being reluctantly flattered by the iBooks swipe. Hopefully, though, he?ll have learned a lesson: next time he comes up with a great idea, he?ll make sure it is patented.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:

Take a look of this:

image: http://a1.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/...480x480-75.jpg

That conclusion is erroneous. Delicious Monster was using the obvious wood shelf design log before iBooks was a glyph in the developer's eye.

Example: http://images.google.com/images?q=de...ibrary%20books
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Well, go and see a movie about this small app that was ripped, and how it works. It's exactly equal to the iBook. It's not just the bookshelf.

Not that I don't mind people borrowing ideas, but it's pretty lame and hypocritical of Apple. They could have said something.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:

What do they say:

Oops . . . troll fail.

Common interface.

http://xander.am0.co.uk/2008/10/classics-iphone-ap ...

http://code.google.com/p/shelves/

http://www.gadgetvenue.com/iphone-c64-emulator-090 ...

http://www.gstsdesigns.com/Educational/SoftTouch/M ...

http://scottrhoades.com/wordpress/?p=146

FYI:

Delicious Monster Visual Designer = Mike Matas

Sr Visual Designer at Apple = Mike Matas (left Apple July 2009)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delicious_Monster
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That conclusion is erroneous. Delicious Monster was using the obvious wood shelf design log before iBooks was a glyph in the developer's eye.

Example: http://images.google.com/images?q=de...ibrary%20books

Who said anything about DM? I was talking about the Classics app. Go see a youtube clip of it. The UI is fucking equal to the iBook.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Oops . . . troll fail.

Talk about trolling when you troll me about DM!
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:

http://www.cultofmac.com/delicious-m...nterface/28647

[...]

Ultimately, though, it seems like Shipley is resigned to being reluctantly flattered by the iBooks swipe. Hopefully, though, he’ll have learned a lesson: next time he comes up with a great idea, he’ll make sure it is patented.

Yeah, there is no reason for him to be upset. He's been made offers but wants fame to show to his children, not security (lame). He failed to patent or copyright anything; though I'm not even sure you can since It's a fraken wood bookshelf, which is common in real life and obviously where he got the idea from.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:

Who said anything about DM? I was talking about the Classics app. Go see a youtube clip of it. The UI is fucking equal to the iBook.

Delicious Monster Visual Designer = Mike Matas

Sr Visual Designer at Apple = Mike Matas (left Apple July 2009)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delicious_Monster
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:

That is the point. You're ignoring even earlier inspirations for the app design. There is nothing in the UI or transitions that we haven't seen for years. If a developer feels they have something worth protecting they should be protecting it. As you can see from their comments they know are a couple bookends short of a legal case.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:

Right. Opening up content delivery and making it more accessible is a horrible idea.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Glass half-empty much?

Your comments are not only wrong, they don't make much sense. Either you don't understand what's going on with the new preview site or you just enjoy being pissy about stuff.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Talk about trolling when you troll me about DM!

Is Luis Dias the new teckstud? I find it hard to keep track of his alt accounts.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Glass half-empty much?

Your comments are not only wrong, they don't make much sense. Either you don't understand what's going on with the new preview site or you just enjoy being pissy about stuff.

Is there some troll holiday today that we dont know about?

Maybe it's the Troll New Year.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Well I guess a fully operating browser based version means that the iPad will have pretty much a full version of iTunes, which would be great.

Re. The rip off of Delicious library - it's a bookcase, Delicious weren't the first with that and can hardly lay claim to the concept. Yes of course it's more than a coincidence, but the reason for the similarity is obvious.

Edit.)

I've just had a look up this topic - it's incredible that people are arguing over the fact that an application for books uses a book case model as it's inspiration. A little bit crazy of people for people to get worked up about. It's a book case - I don't think anyone can lay a patent on that concept.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

But the thing about iBooks is, it?s a book-reader. So, of course they looked around, found the best interface for displaying books (Delicious Library?s shelves), and said: yup, this is what we?re doing?

No, they looked around for the best interface for dispaying books and settled on a book case. not "delicious library's shelves". That's just a silly thing to say.

I did a site about five years ago for a client selling books on line - and guess what, they're displayed on a bookcase. This is nothing new. I have no idea why people are getting so upset about it, or what this has to do with the original topic.