AT&T, Sling Media partner to allow 3G access on iPhone SlingPlayer

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

The TAP plan is $50/month for the 3G/3Gs so I think with that price they could manage it - at the $30 price for the iPad - probably not.

Gotcha, didn't know the TAP plan was $50/mon. And yeah we agree, $30/mon for iPhones would cripple AT&T, or at least, cripple the revenue stream they're used to.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

so you're one of the bandwidth hogs that's causing all my calls in NYC to drop.

That's like saying he's a hog for eating all $30 worth of food he buys at the supermarket.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

*yawn*

here's the humble iPhone screen, which contains apps for watching TV/video/movies in Europe...

Any of those let you watch TV from your home DVR? (I really don't know)
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Any of those let you watch TV from your home DVR? (I really don't know)

No, no.

They all are just various Mobile TV providers.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    I thought AT&T had nothing to do with the app approval process.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Does SlingPlayer add further burden to an overtaxed AT&T cellular network? Or has that 2 Billion infrastructure money AT&T is using to upgrade their network starting to bear fruit?
  • Reply 27 of 40
    This can't be good for the network. They say it's optimized to conserve bandwith, but it still takes up bandwith on an already overloaded network.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Now we just have to wait for the baseball season to start up, to compare video quality from MLB to that of the Slingbox. I'll bet AT&T is forcing Slingbox to use a much lower bandwidth than MLB, just because MLB is kicking back some subscription cash to AT&T...

Hello I'd like the Network Neutrality hearings at the FCC? Um, why was my call just dropped?
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewMacMan View Post

This can't be good for the network. They say it's optimized to conserve bandwith, but it still takes up bandwith on an already overloaded network.

Given the expensive buy-in I'd say that the CNN program w/ all the video on there taxes the network 10x if not 100x's of times more than allowing sling player to work via 3G. Only difference is this will stream for, say, 30 mins instead of having a video download on your CNN app for 5 mins and then going to getting another video that's 5 mins, etc etc.

Basically, I think Sling Player is a fairly niche segment and it really shouldn't do much compared to many, many other things.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

That's like saying he's a hog for eating all $30 worth of food he buys at the supermarket.

i would agree with you, except it's a jailbroken phone, voiding his contract and violating the policies he signed an agreement to follow.

it's like him telling you he would pick up your girlfriend at the airport, and then fcuking her before bringing her home.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewMacMan View Post

ATT has fixed their issues pretty much everywhere, except maybe NYC. Don't go there and have no desire to ever go back, I know San Francisco is ten times better now and I have 3g everywhere I go and works great. They have fixed their network so now they can allow this and their network is not as overloaded with the new 850 MHz spectrum and the new back hauls.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    I travel several times a year and although I have a slingbox, I really didn't think it was fair to iphone users since AT&T allowed Blackberry & other phone owners to use Slingbox over 3g.

Of course we don't know exactly the extent of the modifications AT&T has required, maybe to conserve bandwidth the Slingbox video screen is a quarter-inch square?!

baby steps......
  • Reply 33 of 40
    This is a double tick me off!

So my network in the past year and a half has gone from 3 bars to practically nothing and AT$T decides to add more crap onto their network without fixing things first?!

And then Sling, decides my Slingbox AV doesn't qualify even though, way back when, they sold it with the promise it would.

I hate bith these companies. Oxygen thieves...
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Over a year ago a friend showed SlingPlayer on his Blackberry Bold on AT&T... so it's hard to say how much more strain the network will have. I was excited when it came out for the iPhone and bought it on the hope that it would be able to run via 3G...
  • Reply 35 of 40
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    If they are worried about 3g congestions, I say f it. Just let anyone stream the video over 3g, and limit the bandwidth available for video streaming. If the quality drops or sucks, too bad. People really don't ha e rig tot complain ha they cannot stream video perfectly al the time...
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrispy View Post

This is a double tick me off!

So my network in the past year and a half has gone from 3 bars to practically nothing and AT$T decides to add more crap onto their network without fixing things first?!

And then Sling, decides my Slingbox AV doesn't qualify even though, way back when, they sold it with the promise it would.

I hate bith these companies. Oxygen thieves...

I don't have the AV either. I read that Sling Media won't support the older models BUT the software works with them....

We'll find out.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

8am i get close to 3000 kbps on a speedtest in midtown manhattan. after 1pm around 1000. used to be 1/4 of that before the upgrade.

We had an upgrade in New York? Wow! I dropped four calls inside an hour yesterday.

I hope AT&T gives us another upgrade soon.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Probably having something to do with AT&T failure to deliver their promised live TV app.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Maybe I'm missing your point but if your 3G service was bombing out on audio why would it be better for video?

Well, maybe the quality of the video really sucks!
  • Reply 40 of 40
    iladilad Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CdnBook View Post

Would love to see a 3G iPod Touch... with the same 3G data plans that'll be available with the iPad. I've always wanted an iPhone for the mobile internet, but I'm not a big phone person, and can't be bothered getting into a big monthly cell phone contract.

I so agree they should offer a similar plan so i can hand my wife one for her casual online needs. If they did this i'd sign up.

So glad they finally brought 3G to sling player. This was the only thing holdinging me back from buying an iphone, well this a few others that got resolved with os 3.0. Now all i need is google voice and their nav app, and central documents app with print and fax support, so you can store all your docs in one central location and even save attachments too.

Now if they could only offer both displayport (with sound) and dvi/VGA (mini or regular) to all their notebooks and bluray drives and i'd be a fan once again.