Is a Mac better than PC for Heavy High End Gaming?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My friend said that PC's Were better than Mac for gaming. He said that PC's had more CPU power, more and better video cards and better RAM. Is it true what he said about PC's being better than Mac for gaming?

Also, Please participate in the poll if you can. Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    *bump*
  • Reply 2 of 19
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    *grind*
  • Reply 3 of 19
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    cha cha y'all
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Come on, can someone answer this FOR REAL?
  • Reply 5 of 19
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    There is one main reason PC's are better than Macs for high end gaming DirectX

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nero123 View Post

• Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

perhaps he's not trolling?

For hard-core gamers a PC is better.

Mac's can run Windows, so THAT's not the problem... but Macs tend not to have the latest graphics hardware.

Mac's WILL run games (under Windows?) just fine... but you won't see the insane frame-rates that are available from the $800 GPU's that can be installed in PC's...

So... if you NEED the highest performance GPU so that you can get framerates higher than your eyes can even detect, and setting all rendering options to "high", then a PC may be the better option.

However, that doesn't mean you can't play games on a Mac... you can run Windows if you need to, and you'll still get decent performance.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    *bump*
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

perhaps he's not trolling?

Check out the poll results!
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Check out the poll results!

I did. It reflects the truth. His question specifically targets "heavy, high-end" gaming. If that's your goal, a Mac isn't the best machine you can find/build.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

I did. It reflects the truth. His question specifically targets "heavy, high-end" gaming. If that's your goal, a Mac isn't the best machine you can find/build.

That's not the point. The OP has voted in his own poll.

If he already knows the answer ( we all know the answer) why is he even asking the bloody question?

PS. Just voted Mac. I'm an anarchist!
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Gaming is not the reason to get a Mac. It's everything else.

If you want to play games, get a PC.

If you want to be productive and enjoy your (non-gaming) comuputer experience in all other regards, get a Mac.

Hell, if you want both, get both.

But please don't imply that PCs are better computers than Macs because PCs are better for gaming than Macs.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    3D games are moving to consoles anyway as witnessed by the lack of PC games in "game stores" the world over.

There just isn't the volume of PC games anymore because multi-core processors are not designed for 3D games.

Splitting the rapidly changing game thread doesn't realize any performance from the other cores.

So it's really all down to the video card performance, and you go with who has configured their drivers and software with what OS, that tends to be Windows with their larger market share and the most buyers.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

... The OP has voted in his own poll...

Ah!... that little nugget slipped past me!

Ok, we agree... he's trolling. I should be punished for feeding him... guess I'll have to go find some cute little thing to spank me....
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

guess I'll have to go find some cute little thing to spank me....

Sorry. I'm a little busy right now.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    Quote:

I voted in your dumb poll.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

Ah!... that little nugget slipped past me!

Ok, we agree... he's trolling. I should be punished for feeding him... guess I'll have to go find some cute little thing to spank me....

Wait! I want to go with you.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I voted PC, but I'm a console-gamer through and through. The PC just doesn't have the high quality Japanese developed game that I enjoy.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

My friend said that PC's Were better than Mac for gaming. He said that PC's had more CPU power, more and better video cards and better RAM. Is it true what he said about PC's being better than Mac for gaming?

Also, Please participate in the poll if you can. Thank you.

Hardcore gamer here.

Answers is.... depends :-)

First, mac gamers need to make sure to get the fastest possible graphic card available for the Mac model they want to buy.

High-end gaming:

For high ends hardcore games, PC's wins hands down. Thanks to OPEN hardware archithecture that allows you to build a high-end machine with the lastest hardware. Apple close down hardware is pretty much what has killed Apple PC line since it started. This is why they rock at mobile device, because those things are all "close hardware" and Apple are very very good at that with top of the line intuitive software. Also, PC games offers more choice.

Normal gaming with popular games:

Most succesfull popular games will have an apple version. For example, World of Warcraft has an Apple version. The game is going to run slower of a MAC, but if you have a fast machine, it should be fine

Casual gamer:

For the casual gamer, Mac are perfect since MAC's are easier to use than PC's and there limited hardware configuration results in easier installations and configurations.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Don't serious gamers just use consoles, Alienware boxes, or build gaming rigs? The ones I know don't even use a full operating system, and run something like tiny xp.