Eccentric but effective Steve Jobs pitches iPad to NYT execs

Comments

• Reply 61 of 162
    It's nice to see CEO's work for their shareholders instead of rape them. Not enough good CEO's out there. Thanks Steve!!
  • Reply 62 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The gathering, was booked at Pranna, a cellar basement restaurant featuring a southeast Asian menu.

The Apple executive reportedly ordered penne pasta with a mango lassi to drink, sending the staff scrambling to accommodate his unusual request.

Why would you do that?

Even with his strict diet regime surely a fish dish of some type would be more accommodating. Poor form ordering something not even on the menu (and expecting it to be done anyway).
  • Reply 63 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple booked a quiet dinner reception for fifty executives at the New York Times, but the VIP guest ended up being Steve Jobs.[/url][/c]

The New York Times has 50 executives?!?! No wonder they're broke! How many people are needed to print a newspaper?

The story here should be corrected to state that it was "The New York Times Company," and not "The New York Times." Big difference... The NYT puts out 1 newspaper the NYT Company puts out over 20...
  • Reply 64 of 162
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It's good that he's doing the legwork to make it a success. It seems sometimes electronics companies release a device and expect success to "just happen."
  • Reply 65 of 162
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boss1 View Post

... Mango Lassi Recipe:

INGREDIENTS

1 cup plain yogurt

1/2 cup milk

1 cup chopped mango (peeled and stone removed)

4 teaspoons sugar, to taste

A dash of ground cardamom (optional)...

Sounds yummy, and very healthy except for the sugar. I bet Steve would have it without, being the health freak that he is.
  • Reply 66 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's good that he's doing the legwork to make it a success. It seems sometimes electronics companies release a device and expect success to "just happen."

You are right 99% of the time. Don't forget a little company named ASUS started selling a netbook thing that was advertised by only the people that wrote stories on it. It was hard to find it in stores and BAM a couple years later Apple is selling a touchscreen netbook and acting like its sliced bread.

The netbook is the exception. It "just happened."
  • Reply 67 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

This is one of the things that sets Apple's CEO apart from the rest.

Steve Jobs is still as hungry as ever... striving to sell his new product as if it was that first Apple computer out of the garage. All this after he was instrumental in the design and engineering of the product.

This is what makes a great CEO of a great company. This is why he is admired worldwide.

Apple rocks!

Way to go Steve! Way to go Apple!

@AppleSauce007

Your comment was spot on, summed up Jobs perfectly!

@bdkennedy1

I've never been much for bathroom jokes, but THAT was funny!
  • Reply 68 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

When you have to go to those extremes after you've launched your next "revolutionary" device then you know Apple is in BIG trouble.

Imagine what you'd being saying if Steve Ballmer was doing that for whatever reason.

Dude, it amazes me how close minded you are. This is no different behavior than what took place, by Steve himself, between the time the iPod was announced and when it was shipped. He continued to woo the music publishers until its release date and beyond.

This platform is going to be huge and while it may not fit your use (yet), there are 6.8 billion other people that it possibly can. Look at the way the iPad's new apps look and it says it all. It's the next "gotta have it" and you're just pissed that you didn't come up with the idea first.

Zip it already. YAWN.

I mean, we're not going to get the "pimped-out" version on the first go 'round, so give it a break.

Quote:

Besides, you can get a subscription to the New York Times right now, today, on any Kindle.

Didn't your momma ever tell you: Good things come to those who wait? I'd wait a few months to get a 1000x better (IMO) user experience than Kindle......but then again, I'm patient. Until then, I'll get by with my iPhone, iPod Touch, 3 iMacs and trusty PowerBook G4 Titanium.

Do you always require instant gratification?

Man, you're depressing.
  • Reply 69 of 162
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    This is the New Apple ? the content broker.

If you're a corporation and you've got something that you want the masses to pay for, Apple will provide you with an ultra sexy mechanism to do so. That something might be advertising space, a movie, or simply just a telephone conversation with loved ones.

It's the sexy hardware, and polished user experience that the punter finds irresistible. But once they have that device in their hands, they're going to find that a great deal of the content they interact with flows through Apple in some shape or form.

I'm guessing that Apple didn't get to be a $50bn company by chance.
  • Reply 70 of 162
    Quote:

Imagine what you'd being saying if Steve Ballmer was doing that for whatever reason.

The difference is that Jobs promotes and sells a quality product - Ballmer is little more than a used car salesman, peddling lowest-common-denominator tat using smoke and mirrors. Go and read the Windows 7 website, full of nebulous phrases about how Windows makes your PC "even easier to use" with no substance to back it up.

Jobs has a real, working product - not some Courier CGI rendering cobbled up over a weekend - and is out there promoting it. Ballmer toured Europe trying to deflect the media away from the latest Windows security farce.

I'll take Jobs and his hat any day.

Quote:

Besides, you can get a subscription to the New York Times right now, today, on any Kindle.

And what can you do with that single-use Kindle when you've finished reading the NYT? Get back to us when you come up with something....
  • Reply 71 of 162
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This just in:

Apple saves print media!

This is gonna be HUGE. Apple is replicating their iTunes music biz in book/print form.

If your content isn't being distributed by Apple, it's just not being distributed. This is the order of things.

Print. Maybe but no way to the tv/film companies. They saw what happened to the music biz. Most tv, feature films, all have twitter, facebook, etcetera. They offer some shows for free and the end user only has to deal with 5 :15-:30 commercials(ads), with some being very clever, flash based games tiring in with a product line.

I don't see feature film hurting as much as tv, especially since the dvr.

The only way I see tv being saved is when the ad agencies figure out how to pool their efforts and have clues, what's missing in one commercial then another, what's wrong with ... Fill in the blank, and give away some serios cash on a weekly basis, which to dome networks is chump change, but winning $100,000 per week, tax free with funny comercials may do it.

Plus. You still have a large block of kid and parent ads no dvr from 7am until 3:30pm. They will be fine. The money some of these people make in mere minutes is another person complete life of savings.
  • Reply 72 of 162
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Pirates of Silicon Valley?

They should redo this movie. You can add yahoo, aim, aol, google.

PS. In IT, a lot of businesses are moving to google apps. Their business end is blooming fast.
  • Reply 73 of 162
    I only reason I see Steve there at the Times is to get free press, NY is a very large target market and slim reading devices like the iPad actually might work well in a city environment where portable space is at a premium and laptops just too clunky and vulnerable.

Oh yes, Steve envisions people on the subway and in cabs reading the NY Times on their iPads.

As long as you don't try to down load the Times using ATT 3G. We know what crappy service the iPhone has in NYC.
  • Reply 74 of 162
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

PS. In IT, a lot of businesses are moving to google apps. Their business end is blooming fast.

No - you're wrong, businesses are not adopting Google Apps.

They've trialed Google and found it lacking in all the important aspects of being enterprise aware.
  • Reply 75 of 162
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

I only reason I see Steve there at the Times is to get free press, NY is a very large target market and slim reading devices like the iPad actually might work well in a city environment where portable space is at a premium and laptops just too clunky and vulnerable.

Oh yes, Steve envisions people on the subway and in cabs reading the NY Times on their iPads.

As long as you don't try to down load the Times using ATT 3G. We know what crappy service the iPhone has in NYC.

The NYT Company owns over 20 newspapers and maintains 35 unique websites. They are much bigger than just 1 large market...
  • Reply 76 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clexman View Post

The NYT Company owns over 20 newspapers and maintains 35 unique websites. They are much bigger than just 1 large market...

1 or 35, doesn't matter, if you can't get to the info because of the network, you will end up carrying the iPad and reading the paper newsprint.

My office in NY always shared the different papers anyway. Will you be able to do that with an electronic copy?
  • Reply 77 of 162
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Now it will suck, but if the NYT can eliminate the cost to produce a newspaper (which has got to be in the millions daily), and instead, sell ad's for the iPad version ? it just might work. But the real question is, what will all of the unemployed people do ? sell ad's?

As all of this is a "Bottom Line' decision, it will be something that will be looked at long and hard (Damn that sound a bit dirty).

Technology is the face of the future, we all just have to wonder, is it the future we all want?

Where does it end?

How long from now, will we all look back and say "I long for the good old days"?

Hey, I'm just like each one of you, I'm for technology, I'm just saying ??

Skip
  • Reply 78 of 162
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Jobs is the master!
  • Reply 79 of 162
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

The big question is, why does the New York Times have 50 freaking executives?

times hosted a party of MAD MEN

HOSTED as party of advertising execs

from all over madison ave

not just the timer
  • Reply 80 of 162
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Jobs is the master!

WRONG!