One in five physicians likely to purchase Apple iPad - study

Comments

• Reply 41 of 184
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmjds View Post

As a physician, I will not be able to use the IPad to access my EMR because the IPad doesn't support Windows.

As a 26 year Apple user and seen NUMEROUS processor, hardware, UI and OS changes over the years, your best bet is to stick with a Windows solution in the business environment, it has the advantage of a much larger market share, stability in hardware and software UI and OS (outside of malware) and more third party solutions.

You might be able to use consumer level products from Apple in niche spots here and there, but Apple really doesn't pay attention to the needs and wants of the business or corporate market all that well.

As we speak Apple is already undergoing ANOTHER processor switch, it won't affect consumers all that much, but businesses who spend a lot of money on expensive software are going to get hit hard by the switch.

Apple is focused on the consumer market and that's why it has opened fancy stores in high traffic consumer locations. Not opening operations near heavy business locations, like industrial parks, business centers etc.

Sorry to say that, but it's the truth.

There is this fanboy fantasy that "only if 'this or that' then Apple could rule the world" but the fact is Apple doesn't give a rats ass about business or corporate market, that was CEO's Scully's play, not Steve Jobs.

Steve is about making devices easier to use for consumers and selling a lot of hardware in the meanwhile. If he was into business, he would sell OS X separate of hardware for ATM machines, POS devices, CAD/CAM machines and everything else the business world needs and he wouldn't be locking his hardware and software down.
  • Reply 42 of 184
    Quote:

As a physician, I will not be able to use the IPad to access my EMR because the IPad doesn't support Windows.

Has your IT department ever heard of Citrix and the ICA client?
  • Reply 43 of 184
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

As a 26 year Apple user and seen NUMEROUS processor, hardware, UI and OS changes over the years, your best bet is to stick with a Windows solution in the business environment, it has the advantage of a much larger market share, stability in hardware and software UI and OS (outside of malware) and more third party solutions.

You might be able to use consumer level products from Apple in niche spots here and there, but Apple really doesn't pay attention to the needs and wants of the business or corporate market all that well.

As we speak Apple is already undergoing ANOTHER processor switch, it won't affect consumers all that much, but businesses who spend a lot of money on expensive software are going to get hit hard by the switch.

Apple is focused on the consumer market and that's why it has opened fancy stores in high traffic consumer locations. Not opening operations near heavy business locations, like industrial parks, business centers etc.

Sorry to say that, but it's the truth.

There is this fanboy fantasy that "only if 'this or that' then Apple could rule the world" but the fact is Apple doesn't give a rats ass about business or corporate market, that was CEO's Scully's play, not Steve Jobs.

Steve is about making devices easier to use for consumers and selling a lot of hardware in the meanwhile. If he was into business, he would sell OS X separate of hardware for ATM machines, POS devices, CAD/CAM machines and everything else the business world needs and he wouldn't be locking his hardware and software down.

You know, till now, my ignore list has been made up solely of trolls. You will be my first addition based simply on just commenter general cluelessness.
  • Reply 44 of 184
    I'm a doc and I'll by mine and the four ones the other doctors are passing on.
  • Reply 45 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gunner View Post

Has your IT department ever heard of Citrix and the ICA client?

No offense, but I had to install Citrix for a real estate client who bought a Mac only to realize her IE based software wouldn't work.

I really don't recommend it and it most likely won't work on the iPad/A4 processors anyway without a major rewrite.
  • Reply 46 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

You know, till now, my ignore list has been made up solely of trolls. You will be my first addition based simply on just commenter general cluelessness.

Do what you must of course, but I still stick to my opinion and the facts speak for themselves.

I have had nothing but headaches from people trying to shoehorn Apple products into areas it wasn't designed to go.

If Apple moves in the direction of business and corporate needs with the iPad, I will be there to support them in every way.

Good bye then and take care.
  • Reply 47 of 184
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Is there any reason that would keep hospitals from being wired for WiFi?

What about the 3G radio? I know they used to make you turn off phones in hospitals but it has been a while since I have been in one...
  • Reply 48 of 184
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:

Surely you mean the software you use to access you EMR does not support anything but windows, and that is the fault of the software vendor or ultimately who ever made the purchasing decision in your organization.

In any case, you can use one of the many free or very affordable remote desktop apps for iPhone/iPad to remotely access your windows desktop running your EMR software. This way iPad becomes light portable window/screen into your desktop.
  • Reply 49 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Is there any reason that would keep hospitals from being wired for WiFi?

What about the 3G radio? I know they used to make you turn off phones in hospitals but it has been a while since I have been in one...

Yes it interferes with the patient monitors, any electromagnetic signals actually, 3G enabled laptops as well and I suspect 3G iPads will too, unless Apple has made sure that doesn't happen, how I would not know.

In fact I read hospitals use iPod Touch's instead of iPhones for that reason, the cell signal interference.

So perhaps the wifi versions will be ok.
  • Reply 50 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

More than 60 percent of physicians who participated in a new survey have shown interest in Apple's recently announced iPad

More than 60 percent of physicians have a workstation within arm's reach, running the medical software they already need.

While it'd be nice to see the iPad get part of the healthcare market, there's a reason physicians aren't using tablets already.

And lest we forget, the physicians who embraced Newton just might be a little leery at giving Apple a second chance.

"What happens when Apple kills THIS platform?" is a legitimate concern.
  • Reply 51 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Surely you mean the software you use to access you EMR does not support anything but windows, and that is the fault of the software vendor or ultimately who ever made the purchasing decision in your organization.

It's the whole Windows has 90% market share and it costs too much money to support such a small market share of Apple argument. You really can't blame the third party software developers, I used to think that way too.

Quote:

In any case, you can use one of the many free or very affordable remote desktop apps for iPhone/iPad to remotely access your windows desktop running your EMR software. This way iPad becomes light portable window/screen into your desktop.

No offense, but that's shoehorning, and it's asking for trouble later down the road.

I think he's more interested in a integrated cross platform based solution for the need at hand, something that runs well on Windows, the iPad and OS X in case he switches platforms too. Of course this would require Windows and the third party software to update and manage the iPad, something I think Steve will not allow.

Apple has to come in and support developers of this type of software to make versions for OS X and the iPad. There is little return on investment if they do it alone.

This is my whole argument, that Apple needs to support developers of business software, to port their software over, or make it easy for them to do so with a compiler, so the third party business software equalizes between Windows and OS X.

But Apple is going off in another direction, the direction of the consumer and the App Store. So we won't see "developers, developers, developers" routine like we did with Steve Ballmer.
  • Reply 52 of 184
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

there's a reason physicians aren't using tablets already.

They've all been shite up until this point. Shoehorning a desktop OS not designed for a tablet interface into a device with a single-touch resistive touchscreen isn't exactly a win-win scenario. The iPad doesn't fit a single one of my needs though it's clear the potential this has in many professional capacities.

Quote:

Not really.
  • Reply 53 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

No offense, but I had to install Citrix for a real estate client who bought a Mac only to realize her IE based software wouldn't work.

I really don't recommend it and it most likely won't work on the iPad/A4 processors anyway without a major rewrite.

Funny, I use citrix as a clinician and it's equal or faster on my intel mac and even my old g4 powerbook, compared to my pc
  • Reply 54 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

More than 60 percent of physicians have a workstation within arm's reach, running the medical software they already need.

While it'd be nice to see the iPad get part of the healthcare market, there's a reason physicians aren't using tablets already.

And lest we forget, the physicians who embraced Newton just might be a little leery at giving Apple a second chance.

Yea that's another issue, Apple's tendency to change things and not remain a constant force.

Apple can do that because they are more of a creative consumer products company and less of a business solutions company.

I think businesses would embrace the iPad if it ran a full OS UI like the Mac does, allowing them to run and use software already used on the Mac platform.
  • Reply 55 of 184
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    editrs
  • Reply 56 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benny-boy View Post

Funny, I use citrix as a clinician and it's equal or faster on my intel mac and even my old g4 powerbook, compared to my pc

When did Citrix ever make a PPC version?
  • Reply 57 of 184
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

I think you can easily see the confounding variables here. I have no doubt that doctors are certainly excited to see what the iPad could do for medicine (I'm a medical student, so I'd know), but to put out such silly numbers mocks the intelligence of anyone who can read.

To put this into perspective, the #1 use of tablet PCs is for medical use (signatures and such). But to even make the claim that 20% of US doctors want an iPad makes me want to barf.

I'm really glad that you can read because if you re-read the first line in the story it says:

"More than 60 percent of physicians who participated in a new survey: Survey participants does not mean all of the doctors in the US.

Now you won't have to barf.
  • Reply 58 of 184
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Four out of five physicians don't recommend the iPad for daily use.

Five out of four people are not good with numbers.
  • Reply 59 of 184
    i'd like to bring this in a different direction...

why do we rely so much on technology to get work done?

The iSlate (sorry, the iPad!) might make work easier in some way, but are we destined, as humans, to know less for the same job? I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I just feel that this is not a step in the right direction.

my two pennies, might not be worth much nowadays, but they're still nickel!
  • Reply 60 of 184
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism;1567023

1) Welcome to the forum. Note that you don't have to quote the entire article.

2) There are EMR apps for the iPhone.

3) What do you mean it doesn't support Windows? There is evidence to suggest mounting it as a disk.

Quote:

"As a physician, I will not be able to use the IPad to access my EMR because the IPad doesn't support Windows."

1,2,3 RIGHT ON!!!!

(Microsoft barely supports Windows!)