Help choosing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi, I'm about to buy my first iMac and I was looking at the base 21.5in model. I was just wondering how good this is for basic gaming (ie. Sims 3,Spore) and what I should expect in terms of speed/graphics running these games.

Obviously I won't be using it as a primary games machine, I use ps3 for that, but I can't use that for the above games which are PC/Mac exclusive.

Also, what can I expect from this iMac in general? Hows the performance etc?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GeorgeRobo View Post

Hi, I'm about to buy my first iMac and I was looking at the base 21.5in model. I was just wondering how good this is for basic gaming (ie. Sims 3,Spore) and what I should expect in terms of speed/graphics running these games.

Obviously I won't be using it as a primary games machine, I use ps3 for that, but I can't use that for the above games which are PC/Mac exclusive.

Also, what can I expect from this iMac in general? Hows the performance etc?

Thanks for any help.

Any of the iMac models are more than enough machine for the casual gamer. Even a 4-5 year old iMac can handle those types of games.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    The 21,5" model easily does what you want, George, but if you want a real jaw-dropper you should get the 27" model. Run the video.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I would get the 27 inch but I don't think I want to spend that much on a computer and I don't think I really need a screen that big.

Anyway thanks for your help, i'm looking forward to switching to mac for sure!

1 last question though, does the iMac upscale DVDs because I know the screen is 1080p?

And when does Apple usually update the iMacs? I dont want to buy one and then they release a new one the next day!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Any help?

• Reply 5 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    I like the 9400M and it's a very capable graphics chip but it's still fairly low end and you will probably come across a game at some point that uses some nice special effects and have to turn them off. The Radeon 4670 in the second iMac is a better choice and Apple points out that it's 2-4x faster than the 9400M, Macworld gets 3x faster:

http://www.apple.com/imac/performance.html

http://www.macworld.com/article/1436...enchmarks.html

That's a big difference IMO. The second model up is $300 more but there is a refurb model that's only $100 more:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC...co=MTU0MzQ1NzA

Same warranty but it may not come in the original box.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Thanks for the refurb link but I'm in the UK so can't take up that offer.

My PC at the moment actually has the Radeon HD4670 and I will probably be keeping it so if there is any intensive gaming I might use that. I'm selling it to my dad but we live in the same house -i'm 16- so I can still use it.

I am concerned that there are more Macs around the corner though and I don't want to buy now and then Apple makes a new iMac the month after or something :P