One in five physicians likely to purchase Apple iPad - study

Comments

• Reply 81 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I'm really glad that you can read because if you re-read the first line in the story it says:

"More than 60 percent of physicians who participated in a new survey: Survey participants does not mean all of the doctors in the US.

Now you won't have to barf.

Obviously.

Surveys are meant to get a general feel for what said population is feeling by sampling.

If you can't see the possible bias in the sentence, or in the article, then I might have to barf also. You will have to re-read dagamer's post.

I don't understand why people eat up these amateur surveys like they actually mean anything. Lack of common sense in these forums.
  • Reply 82 of 184
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

RE: Android - I think Android is cool, but Android has had over two years now to 'take over' as you put it, and that has not happened. I haven't observed that Google really knows how to compete with Apple in this space - their introduction of Nexus One was just really not handled well at all; I really hope they learn from that experience, however. Your point is well taken: complacency in the face of your competition is never a good thing. I think you are over-blowing the nature of the threat at the present time, however.

I wouldn't classify Android as a threat in the way AngusYoung does but the odds of Android overtaking iPhone OS on iPhones in unit marketshare is pretty high, in a relatively short timeframe. There are just too many devices being realeased that are going to be cheaper, in more markets/countries, and on more carriers than the iPhone will.
  • Reply 83 of 184
    I don't see why 1 in 5 physicians is significant...$500 is pocket change for these people as they represent the upper crust of society. More meaningful stats on consumer interest in the device would come out of surveys done on the middle class.
  • Reply 84 of 184
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spf250 View Post

I don't see why 1 in 5 physicians is significant...$500 is pocket change for these people as they represent the upper crust of society. More meaningful stats on consumer interest in the device would come out of surveys done on the middle class.

Sure, the consumer market will outsell various professional uses but consider the following: 1) 20% of a profession stating they plan to buy a device from a company before it has launched, and 2) it's from a company that historically has focused on consumer first.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing some consumer interest stats, too.
  • Reply 85 of 184
    One San Francisco program, dubbed "Destination Bedside," aims to use tablets to provide X-rays, charts, prescriptions and notes to hospital workers at the touch of a finger.

The ipad has an xray source?
  • Reply 86 of 184
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Two words to describe the iPad:-

thin client
  • Reply 87 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diamondgeeza View Post

One San Francisco program, dubbed "Destination Bedside," aims to use tablets to provide X-rays, charts, prescriptions and notes to hospital workers at the touch of a finger.

The ipad has an xray source?

Many doctors already use their iPhones and iPods to carry/view X-rays and other data.

I think it will be some while before we can use the iPad to check for broken bones!
  • Reply 88 of 184
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toyin View Post

Count me as one physician who will get the iPad the day it comes out. However I don't plan on using it at work. This may replace my Kindle and allow me to use the laptop less at home.

Epocrates, how I loved thee. I used to use it all the time. Now with electronic medical record most the dosing and information is on the computer.

For those who complain of Epocrates, try Medscape's iPhone application.

1. It's free

2. Launches almost instantly

3. It's faster then Epocrates

4. Has drug interactions

5. Also has CME and Physician Directory

Don't forget, certain insurance providers are dropping out of epoc. Not sure why but just remembered reading an article a few weeks ago about BlueCross or Anthem Blue Cross was no longer in their database. Wonder how much epoc makes? I would think though that for docs, mine uses his laptop for refills which then get faxed out, you would think for scheduled II they could have a stylus to write e scripts. Then print for the patient?
  • Reply 89 of 184
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beefeater999 View Post

i'd like to bring this in a different direction...

why do we rely so much on technology to get work done?

The iSlate (sorry, the iPad!) might make work easier in some way, but are we destined, as humans, to know less for the same job? I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I just feel that this is not a step in the right direction.

my two pennies, might not be worth much nowadays, but they're still nickel!

While I can appreciate your concerns I think quite the opposite is true. In this day and age of an ever increasing knowledge base it is almost impossible for any one individual to know every thing related to their field of endeavor. Indeed, with the rate of discovery as rapid as it is, this situation will only increase.

I think technology allows us the means to have all that knowledge at our fingertips. I know I'm much more informed now than I was even 10-15 years ago simply because of how easy it is to research and find the info I need. While you are correct in saying we may "know" less for the same job, having the ability to find the answers we seek is, IMHO, a definite step in the right direction.
  • Reply 90 of 184
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

"Shoehorning a desktop OS into a tablet does NOT work" - Ok , I admit I was wrong there

No, the statement is wrong. Shoehorning a desktop UI into a tablet doesn't work well - the distinction is very important. Think of the Front Row app in the Mac OS. If you had a Mini plugged into a TV and had to navigate media using itunes or the Finder from your sofa, you'd agree that it doesn't work well. That however doesn't mean that the OS is bad, just the UI elements of the apps are unsuitable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gunner

If I go to my doctor's office, and he/she punches my information into a $2.99 app downloaded from the app store (coincidentally, written by the same person who created 5 different fart apps), I'm going to the veterinarian across the hall for my exam, thank you.

There are certainly severe security implications involved with the iPad in this field of work. Apps hoarding contact information or diagnoses of patients without mentioning it, no filesystem encryption. I have a feeling most physicians will be opting for the HP Slate.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60

Two words to describe the iPad:-

thin client

I've considered that to be the one concept that could make up for most of the iPad's limitations. It looks fine on the iphone but clearly just needs a bigger screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6TA5WDMRhA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwFgO5WizGM

This solves the problem for businesses that already have a server setup that can easily deliver this kind of experience. When it comes to home users though, there needs to be something more.

Apple could bundle some sort of Clouded Leopard as part of MobileMe that allows users certain parts of a full desktop OS experience and optimized for touch interaction. The downside is making sure the experience works well over the user's network connection and some things are just going to be unworkable.

There comes the issue of software licenses. If you already own software at home, how can you run that on an Apple server? Thin client solutions will work in some cases - probably the best examples being the medical industry - but it won't be the best solution for everyone.
  • Reply 91 of 184
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wouldn't classify Android as a threat in the way AngusYoung does but the odds of Android overtaking iPhone OS on iPhones in unit marketshare is pretty high, in a relatively short timeframe. There are just too many devices being realeased that are going to be cheaper, in more markets/countries, and on more carriers than the iPhone will.

you know what's booming in the IT world right now? Googles Business. Everyony is moving to google, virtual secure servers instead of kerio mail for mac users. I think Google is the next big thing, especially if they can come out with an is that's more then their apps. Imagine an OS that installed DMG and exe programs.

I predict a Google Business pad to be Rocking as it will also 2nd as the video conferencing, mpeg4, xvidand so on.

Exciting times. I also checked out the hp slate. There are sone new nice machines coming from many vendors and wonder if the open source one will really win in the end. 10 years ago I said msft should have bought Red Hat, then Linux would have been mainstream by now. Programs can run pretty cool now.

Also if the msft courier turns out to be real, then that could become one nice machine. We shall see. In due time.
  • Reply 92 of 184
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:

Ahh ha!! more information surfaces...

http://www.macnn.com/articles/10/02/...d.for.tablets/

"Shoehorning a desktop OS into a tablet does NOT work" - Ok , I admit I was wrong there, but I just see how a lack of a file system on the iPad is going to work.

Deleting a app deletes all the files associated with it, including your own, isn't going to work very well.

What happens if the app get buggy and you want to reinstall? Ouch!

Anyway enjoy. There's a lot of work to be done by Apple first before it's accepted by the health care industry as a tool.

Oh My God! - thank you - you just vindicated my faith in human nature

Now - this should help you further understand the file processes on the iPad

"Additionally, iPad apps can now specify that their documents be shared wirelessly.

With that configuration, the iPad will make available each apps? documents,

allowing the user to wirelessly mount their iPad via WiFi and simply

drag and drop files back and forth between it and their desktop computer.

On the desktop system, the iPad will show up as a share containing a documents folder

for each app that enables sharing. For example, a user with iWork apps will be able to wirelessly

connect to their iPad as if it were a directly connected drive, and simply drag spreadsheet,

presentation, or word processing files between their local system and the mobile device as desired."
  • Reply 93 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

To be fair. Apple has over promised and under delivered with every iPhone OS since they changed the mobile market.

Apple has a very sad track record of only giving the users what will drive up market share before the next release of the iPhone OS (Can't speak for Mac OSX, not a user).

From what I've read the "file system" will make the OS only aware of the files that directly use the app being used.

If that is the case, and if Apple chooses to wait almost half a year to release 4.0 for the iPhone then Android will eventually take over. Android is updated with every new feature as well as every new Chip that hits the market.

Even with 3.2 Apple still doesn't have an OS that compares to Microsoft Mobile 6.0. This doesn't even take into account for the current offerings from all of the big 4 OS's for mobile.

No ability to offer an OS with a folder structure, lack of Multi-tasking for all 3rd party apps and lack of Flash will put a great Phone with a lot of potential back to where Mac OS was back in the 90's.

Apple already misused their power to make the Amazon cave to the publishers. I really don't want to pay more for a digital book than a paperback book. Steve Jobs F'd that up for the entire e-book market.

Edit. I don't buy hardback books. When I finish a good book I like to pass it on to a friend that has the same interest. He/she will pass it along as well. I've purchased about a 1,000 books at least in my life but have maybe 20 currently in my house.

Hey Angus, you're back!

Been away for a few days?

Good to see your posts are full of new and fresh input and you're not beating the same old dead horse

about everything Apple is doing wrong and how Apple is Doomed?

..............oh wait
  • Reply 94 of 184
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imGayForSteveJobs View Post

If you can't see the possible bias in the sentence, or in the article, then I might have to barf also. You will have to re-read dagamer's post.

I don't understand why people eat up these amateur surveys like they actually mean anything. Lack of common sense in these forums.

The following are quotes from Dagamer's posts.

"to put out such silly numbers mocks the intelligence of anyone who can read."

"But to even make the claim that 20% of US doctors want an iPad makes me want to barf."

It seems to me that for one to make the second statement (re: 20% of US doctors), when clearly that is not what the story said ( survey participants do not equal ALL US doctors) than that person is guilty of mocking "intelligence of anyone who can read".

I would suggest that possible bias exists in almost all surveys as well as in making a claim that does not exist. As Jack Webb would say .. "just the facts ma'am, just the facts".
  • Reply 95 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

you know what's booming in the IT world right now? Googles Business. Everyony is moving to google, virtual secure servers instead of kerio mail for mac users. I think Google is the next big thing, especially if they can come out with an is that's more then their apps. Imagine an OS that installed DMG and exe programs.

I predict a Google Business pad to be Rocking as it will also 2nd as the video conferencing, mpeg4, xvidand so on.

Exciting times. I also checked out the hp slate. There are sone new nice machines coming from many vendors and wonder if the open source one will really win in the end. 10 years ago I said msft should have bought Red Hat, then Linux would have been mainstream by now. Programs can run pretty cool now.

Also if the msft courier turns out to be real, then that could become one nice machine. We shall see. In due time.

Listen Avid, mate you're outta ya cotten pickin mind

Everything you just said is absolute, unadulterated rubbish.
  • Reply 96 of 184
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:

To be fair. Apple has over promised and under delivered with every iPhone OS since they changed the mobile market.

Apple has a very sad track record of only giving the users what will drive up market share before the next release of the iPhone OS (Can't speak for Mac OSX, not a user).

Over promised and under delivered? I think you're confusing rumour with what Apple officially announces - I've not noticed their making public announcements of features in forthcoming iPhone OS versions.

Quote:

From what I've read the "file system" will make the OS only aware of the files that directly use the app being used.

Even with 3.2 Apple still doesn't have an OS that compares to Microsoft Mobile 6.0. This doesn't even take into account for the current offerings from all of the big 4 OS's for mobile.

No ability to offer an OS with a folder structure, lack of Multi-tasking for all 3rd party apps and lack of Flash will put a great Phone with a lot of potential back to where Mac OS was back in the 90's.

I wonder if you've even used both Windows Mobile and iPhone OS for any length of time?

I switched from a Windows Mobile 6.1 TytnII to an iPhone 3gs and I've never looked back. The only thing I've not been able to replicate on the iPhone is turning it into a mobile wifi hot spot.

The iPhone has been a far, far more reliable device than Windows Mobile. Even with WM6.1 I'd suffer from frequent inexplicable slow downs and restarts. I've only had to restart my iPhone twice in the past three months. I found the Windows Mobile user interface inconsistent and I'd waste time hunting amongst the menus looking for how to alter its configuration. I had apps that would crash or even restart the phone.

Quite frankly I'm surprised Windows Mobile hasn't disappeared from the market entirely seeing the strength of what's available from Nokia, RIM and now Google and Apple.

Oh and Flash was one of those things that would slow the Windows Mobile phone to a crawl. I've not had the need for it on my iPhone and frankly I've not come across any useful or productive websites that makes use of Flash.

Going back on topic, I'm a pharmacist myself who has found the iPhone most useful in practice. I keep journal articles, reference docs, pdfs and spreadsheets on the device (this lack of folder structure really isn't an issue) and yes, I can see how an iPad will be useful for my profession both at home and at work.
  • Reply 97 of 184
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmjds View Post

As a physician, I will not be able to use the IPad to access my EMR because the IPad doesn't support Windows.

The ipad does support Windows as was clearly stated at the keynote.
  • Reply 98 of 184
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beefeater999 View Post

i'd like to bring this in a different direction...

why do we rely so much on technology to get work done?

The iSlate (sorry, the iPad!) might make work easier in some way, but are we destined, as humans, to know less for the same job? I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I just feel that this is not a step in the right direction.

my two pennies, might not be worth much nowadays, but they're still nickel!

Are you not using technology to leave a message on this forum?

You can send your message by using a hard stone to chisel letters onto a stone slab.

You need to have good stonemasonry skills to leave a decent looking message.

Do you think our ancestors will be disappointed that thanks to broadcasting, printing and the internet, we know less about stonemasonry for the same job of sending messages?

Maybe we took a step in the wrong direction with this internet thing and we should have stuck to morse code telegraph instead...

Just my two shillings and sixpence...
  • Reply 99 of 184
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

As a 26 year Apple user and seen NUMEROUS processor, hardware, UI and OS changes over the years, your best bet is to stick with a Windows solution in the business environment, it has the advantage of a much larger market share, stability in hardware and software UI and OS (outside of malware) and more third party solutions.

You might be able to use consumer level products from Apple in niche spots here and there, but Apple really doesn't pay attention to the needs and wants of the business or corporate market all that well.

As we speak Apple is already undergoing ANOTHER processor switch, it won't affect consumers all that much, but businesses who spend a lot of money on expensive software are going to get hit hard by the switch.

Apple is focused on the consumer market and that's why it has opened fancy stores in high traffic consumer locations. Not opening operations near heavy business locations, like industrial parks, business centers etc.

Sorry to say that, but it's the truth.

There is this fanboy fantasy that "only if 'this or that' then Apple could rule the world" but the fact is Apple doesn't give a rats ass about business or corporate market, that was CEO's Scully's play, not Steve Jobs.

Steve is about making devices easier to use for consumers and selling a lot of hardware in the meanwhile. If he was into business, he would sell OS X separate of hardware for ATM machines, POS devices, CAD/CAM machines and everything else the business world needs and he wouldn't be locking his hardware and software down.

Sorry, I completely disagree. Every business, every self employed person i own runs on a mac base, and if they don't they wish they did. Mac software is no more 'locked down' than windows software, and it's not "steve" who locks things down (do you mean DRM or suchlike?) It's the software manufacturer.

Of course you speak from your own experience, I speak from mine.

I see that there are two points of view here, but am not arrogant enough to state my own opinion as 'fact'.

"Apple is focused on the consumer market and that's why it has opened fancy stores in high traffic consumer locations. Not opening operations near heavy business locations, like industrial parks, business centers etc."

So do Microsoft - this doesn't mean it's the only area of distribution. The Mac Business and Education dealerships are amazing, why don't you mention those?

I don't know a student entering higher level education who doesn't have, or desire a macbook.

It's not 1986, people have a choice, and people are choosing Apple in bigger numbers than ever before.

Engineers, Designers, Scientists, Education Professionals, students, video professionals, audio professionals, medical practitioners. There is plenty of room for Apple to co-exist with other solutions in the domestic and professional environment and your statement lacks even anecdotal evidence.

This isn't "fanboyism" or "Apple Kool-Aid", it's actual figures, market trends and speaking to real people in industry.

"As we speak Apple is already undergoing ANOTHER processor switch, it won't affect consumers all that much, but businesses who spend a lot of money on expensive software are going to get hit hard by the switch."

No, they're not- they've introduced their own mobile processor based on the work of others, and there is no statement, no public intention to move from intel. Don't base 'fact' on unfounded speculation. Apple are not about to drop the ball, the move to Intel has transformed their business, they wouldn't lose that in a hurry, and certainly not for a new solution that would require a mass market replacement of peripherals.

"Sorry to say that, but it's the truth."

No, it isn't - it's your opinion.
  • Reply 100 of 184
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Going back on topic, I'm a pharmacist myself who has found the iPhone most useful in practice. I keep journal articles, reference docs, pdfs and spreadsheets on the device (this lack of folder structure really isn't an issue) and yes, I can see how an iPad will be useful for my profession both at home and at work.

Useful yes but essential? Your phone is essential, your computer is essential to at least manage the phone. The iPad is non-essential. I don't think it being useful is enough to sell a $500 device. I would find a $500 vibrating chair useful but I'm not buying one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OzExige

On the desktop system, the iPad will show up as a share containing a documents folder

for each app that enables sharing.

The files are still application-centric though. If you delete an app, the files go with it. If you have a spreadsheet app and have used it to generate a large number of sheets but decide that another app does the job better, rather than what people are used to - simply switch apps and delete the old one - you have to make sure to hook up your computer, sync all the files over, then sync them back to the other app. This assumes that both apps allow sharing and they both support each others' formats. File-centric systems try to allow file types to be shared. I can open a movie in Quicktime, VLC, MPEG Streamclip, imovie, Final Cut, MPlayer and so on.