Owners of flickering 27-inch iMacs claim 15% refund from Apple

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

One foul swoop? Conjures up visions of a single swish of a toilet brush in a dirty commode!

Perhaps one fowl swoop - a raptor diving over the surface of the water and snatching a fish from the surface?

Most likely "one fell swoop" - http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/20...ell-swoop.html

Ah - the joys of mangled phrases - they make my day! http://streams.wgbh.org/online/carroll/carr20080418.mp3

nice

fell

foul

fowl

mal ware

babarganush
  • Reply 82 of 91
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Damn, all the trolls are out on this one!!! ignore, ignore, ignore

I ordered my iMac a week ago and it is still at the 3 week delivery time (2 more weeks to go). Getting anxious! Oh, today I got the Apple Remote though... It's slick! I like it better than the old remote.

Hmmm... all the problems seem to involve the display. Since the iMac is apparently the first to use this display, there were bound to be issues. The yellowing definitely sounds like an issue with the manufacturing process of the displays and the flickering sounds more like a graphics card issue. The whole cracked corner of the display sounds like thy were mishandled during packing and/or shipping.

Apple has offered refunds before though when service goes beyond what should normally be expected. It's merely a customer service gesture.

you will love your seamless imac

the flickering screen occurs on all macs

at times

no big deal
  • Reply 83 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

fix

your

permissions

or buy that red dell LAP TOP you secretly pine over

Actually it's a Sony notebook. Small and powerful with a full OS.
  • Reply 84 of 91
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

fix

your

permissions

or buy that red dell LAP TOP you secretly pine over

Thanks brucep - permissions fixed and mission accomplished. Now I can enjoy my Mac again thanks to you.
  • Reply 85 of 91
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    After three days of using my new i7 iMac, I'm relieved to say that it is flawless. (so far) No screen flickering, no yellow tinge, no dust under the panel, no stuck pixels, no dead pixels...

Damn this thing is nice!

(Manufactured in shanghai dec 2009)
  • Reply 86 of 91
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have many Linux machines and have used nearly every flavor of Unix since the early 90s and not one could come close to replacing a Mac for serious publishing/design/video/audio etc, etc, etc. So if you replaced your Mac with Linux you must not have ever needed a Mac in the first place.

Seriously.

Quote:

Linux is a fine OS for servers but it makes a pretty lousy desktop environment in my opinion.

OSX is the first and only unix not to suck for the desktop. The year of the linux desktop has been declared pretty much every year for the last decade and thus far every major attempt for widespread linux desktop deployment has been an epic fail. Like Munich.
  • Reply 87 of 91
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MonkeyFightingSnake View Post

According to this (under What Could Be Wrong), it looks like it could be a manufacturing defect.

actually if you read closely it doesn't say it's a manufacturing defect per se. Which makes sense given that we haven't seen hundreds of reports regardless of size, store v online etc. the better part of the problem machines were custom ordered, thus built to order and shipped individually from over seas.

the problem as the gentleman says is possibly caused by the secondary layer shifting and/or warping due to poor handling during shipping. The machines were likely fine when they left the factory. but Fed Ex or whomever was standing them on end, dumping stuff on top of the boxes, leaving them overnight or over weekends in the wrong temperatures or whatever.

this also fits with a handful of reports of having a new display assembly put in and no more problems

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

And Apple still will not acknowledge that this is a widespread problem.

maybe because it isn't. the reports are all coming from tech/geek blogs where folks will always bitch and moan, often over and over on several sites, about something being even a tiny bit off. So problems always seem bigger than perhaps they are.

to call anything widespread you'd need numbers to back it up. Numbers as in how many machines sold, how many had a particular problem, how many were not fixed by a particular solution, the source of the machine (in a store or online, apple or 3rd party) and so on.
  • Reply 88 of 91
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

maybe because it isn't. the reports are all coming from tech/geek blogs where folks will always bitch and moan, often over and over on several sites, about something being even a tiny bit off. So problems always seem bigger than perhaps they are.

to call anything widespread you'd need numbers to back it up. Numbers as in how many machines sold, how many had a particular problem, how many were not fixed by a particular solution, the source of the machine (in a store or online, apple or 3rd party) and so on.

I think that's true. It's also true that once a problem has been identified, there is a certain amount of piling on, in that your garden variety obsessive-compulsive lunatic will immediately detect a faint yellow tint or a vanishingly slight misalignment or dead pixel and rush to the discussion sites to express their shock and horror.

Apple shouldn't be given a free pass if they're shipping some significant percentage of defective machines and then not redressing their customers grievances, but this is pretty clearly not what is happening. That is, there's no real evidence that the number of machines affected rises to the level of significance, Apple has issued several firmware updates that appear to address the majority of machines that are affected, and to the extent that there are any other problems they are either fixing or replacing those machines and/or offering rebates for their owner's trouble.

Hard to say what else they could do.
  • Reply 89 of 91
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

I believe it's trended down ever since the release of the Pad.

I agree. While it will be a great machine. It's missing some things mainstream would like to see.
  • Reply 90 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

I believe it's trended down ever since the release of the Pad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Okay, so that story is less than clear. Are customers of problematic 27"ers getting $300 and keeping their machines, are they getting their $2000 back plus $300 when they return the machine, or are they returning the machine and only getting $300 back? One would hope it's purchase price plus 15%, but whatever the case is, it is certainly not made clear in this write up.

As for Apple's little (big) problem here... That's what happens when you let QA slip. Apple, do you have an engineering problem, or do you have an assembly problem? Either way, it appears you do little or no testing of product coming off the line or you would have found and fixed this issue before the units ever left the factory. Maybe this is what you get for building machines in China.

Apple, get your act together. This is not limited to the 27" iMac. I've been noticing a huge drop in quality of all the devices I've purchased, and now I'm seriously starting to look around for alternatives to your stuff. I have no love for Windoze, that's for sure, but other hardware makers are coming out with some pretty cool kit, and Linux is pretty darn good now - good enough to replace you and M$. (On a side note Apple, anti-aliasing in Linux looks tons better than in MacOS X.)

Remeber when all was built in USA. Great quality. Now you read about how poopy the workers are treated. Too bad.
  • Reply 91 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

that guy's article:

Guy is sort of a clown. I appreciated his relatively non-partisan writing style, but chose Win7 on such weak knees. It somehow allows him to work 40% better and is more fun. Hmm.

To be fair, a lot of pro apps don't have the 3rd party plug ins ready and therfore crash the system albeit logic to after effects, motion. It will be a while before they catch up. I've never had so many crashes before snow so I stick to leopard. Around 10.6.5 and it should be stable.