Apple seeds new Mac OS X 10.6.3 beta with OpenGL improvements

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

Not when using software update I believe. If you can't connect the mac to a network I guess you will need to download the whole thing.

If the delta between 10.6.2 and 10.6.3 is 773MB it will need to be downloaded. The OP point was the delta between the last release and this update was 773MB, the responder didn't read the post and responded with ' it doesn't add to the size of the OS', which wasn't the point the poster was making.

In general you're right, it depends on your machine, which rev level you're at and probably some other varying factors...
  • Reply 22 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phpmaven View Post

So what? Unless you are living under a rock somewhere, you should have a pretty speedy Internet connection, so who cares. Even if you had to download it overnight, what's the big deal?

Read the posts before responding like an idiot.
  • Reply 23 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

If the delta between 10.6.2 and 10.6.3 is 773MB it will need to be downloaded.

I think I missed that point ...
  • Reply 24 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lssmit02 View Post

Make sure you update flash. The one that shipped with the disk is buggy.

How do I do that exactly? I opened Adobe reader and it said there were no updates. Does that update all of Adobe's stuff?
  • Reply 25 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

Have you tried running maintenance software like onyx ?

I have SL on two macs, and so far I have only had few issues with them. (Some app crashes, but some of them were due to plugins)

I was going to wait and see if it keeps happening. The GarageBand and Mail crashes might have a common factor.

In mail I was listening to a sound bite my brother sent me when it crashed. In Garageband I was dragging a music file from iTunes into Garageband when it choked. Hopefully it wont happen again.
  • Reply 26 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

How do I do that exactly? I opened Adobe reader and it said there were no updates. Does that update all of Adobe's stuff?

Flash not Acrobat. Probably easiest to just go to Adobe.com and download latest version of Flash.
  • Reply 27 of 99
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    answered already (post your problem in the genius forum)
  • Reply 28 of 99
    Blu-Ray movie playback support Apple? OpenGL 3.x full compatibility?
  • Reply 29 of 99
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    GRAPHIC DRIVERS!!!!!

Woot... maybe SL won't be a completely useless piece of crap OS anymore...
  • Reply 30 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post

Well there's your problem!

Refurb or not, you bought a product without knowing for certain what you were getting. There's only one person responsible for that mistake. Computers or crab legs, know what you're getting before you put your money down on the table.

Why on earth is that the problem.

Come on. The point is SL has ruined another two computers of mine(not from refurb).

Anyhow, it's not like there is much choice. If I were to buy another computer brand new, it's still going to have all the problems I am witnessing (bar the glossy screen which I obviously wouldn't have chosen).

Its not like Im deluged with alternative options. Can't get away from that silly no-button trackpad for example. It's totally inaccurate.
  • Reply 31 of 99
    The download size looks like it will be 773 MB but don't forget the install size is more likely bigger than 1GB.

So far I have only seen a issue using USB flash drives acting funny and sometimes just disappearing off the screen without being touched.
  • Reply 32 of 99
    dooghdoogh Posts: 37member
    Well,

A) Snow Leopard has nothing to do with your glossy screen, trackpad, and power button. All of which I feel were designed well.

B) Snow Leopard has been amazing for all my macs. Maybe not upon release, but ever since 10.6.2, it's been great.
  • Reply 33 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Blu-Ray movie playback support Apple? OpenGL 3.x full compatibility?

OpenGL 3.0 nearly complete. Shader language 1.3 which corresponds to OpenGL 3.0.

Once that's done the OpenGL 3.1 and 3.2 extensions will come fast.
  • Reply 34 of 99
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

3. (Best) Make what the PDF button in the Print window displays into a pull-down menu option under the File menu. It'd save trouble and time and bypass the printer wake problem.

I don't print anything from my machines but I've wanted that feature under File » Save As... for a long time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post

I think the point still stands...there's 773 MB worth of changes since 10.6.2. It's possible that not all the change apply to your particular installation, I think.

As rob_06 points out, that file size is the download size, not the size of the uncompressed files that are installed.

What I don't understand is why you have a problem with the replacement of files instead of the much more complex altering of in place files. There are just too many to make this a stable way to implement updates. I'd like it to be smaller, but it really doesn't matter to anyone who gets unlimited data. There are few backwards places that limit your total data usage, and that sucks for them, but such is life.

Note: If you have a problem with Mac OS X point updates then you should have a huge problem with the iPhone and iPod replacing the entire OS with an updated version with something seemingly as small as a x.x.1 update.

Quote:

Also, don't the developer seeds tend to be rather large with inclusion of debugging code or something developer-specific?

The dev builds include the software changes for all applicable Macs. There is no additional code as far as I know.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Its not like Im deluged with alternative options.

Don't buy a Mac if you don't like the HW that comes with a Mac.

Quote:

Can't get away from that silly no-button trackpad for example. It's totally inaccurate.

I've never experienced a better trackpad and I've been using notebooks for over a decade. I never use scroll bars in Windows anymore with the multi-touch trackpad.

BTW, your statement is incorrect. The trackpad has a physical button.
  • Reply 35 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

OpenGL 3.0 nearly complete. Shader language 1.3 which corresponds to OpenGL 3.0.

Once that's done the OpenGL 3.1 and 3.2 extensions will come fast.

You think it will added to 10.6.3 before launch?

So far, OpenGL 3.1 is 12% (1/8) completed and OpenGL 3.2 is 33% (3/9) completed.
  • Reply 36 of 99
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jarman View Post

Hopefully it's very close now. I'm tired of sudden reboots, bring it out already!

As a mac owner for ten years I have had a few kernal panics but never ever had a sudden reboot. It would be interesting to see what type of Mac you have and what you are running when the system suddenly reboots.
  • Reply 37 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

As a mac owner for ten years I have had a few kernal panics but never ever had a sudden reboot. It would be interesting to see what type of Mac you have and what you are running when the system suddenly reboots.

I have been a mac user for around 10 years and have never seen one sudden reboot for no apparent reason.

I have seen two kernal panics but they were easy fixed.

The type of mac would help try and figure out what is happening.
  • Reply 38 of 99
    slow weekend, the trolls are posting in an OS updated thread

Hey trollboys how do you feel about windoze 7 mobile not having multi-tasking or flash
  • Reply 39 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jarman View Post

Hopefully it's very close now. I'm tired of sudden reboots, bring it out already!

This could very well be related to logic board problems.. you might wanna bring it to the genius bar..

Adi
  • Reply 40 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

slow weekend, the trolls are posting in an OS updated thread

Hey trollboys how do you feel about windoze 7 mobile not having multi-tasking or flash

Don't forget it has to be synced through the Zune desktop app and can only get apps from Marketplace.

I commend MS for finally getting smart about their smartphone OS and ecosystem, but I fear it may be a hard, uphill battle for market share. Though, the smartphone market is growing rapidly they'll still likely get plenty of sales to justify the devopment.