One in five physicians likely to purchase Apple iPad - study

Comments

• Reply 141 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

YES, yes I do. But I give up - arguing this point is a huge waste of my time.

Listen, if any one of you is an actual doctor who seriously believes that their life is so so hard because of your career, you need to seriously consider switching to something else. And here is something else you ought to consider: all of the people in this country that are less fortunate than you. The people that struggle just to pay rent. The people who could not afford an iPad (the actual subject of this wayward message thread), the people who couldn't afford college, who had the misfortune to get born without the smarts to have a profession, those that are homeless, out of work, and all of the like. Hearing the bilk about how sad and awful the life of the average MD is - man it really just makes me sick. I'm not trying to belittle your feelings, but I feel the strongest urge just to say "please, get some perspective." Be thankful. Recognize your blessings. There are so many people in so much worse straights than an MD who chose not to specialize and winds up making less money than they think they should. This is all about perspective.

Boy, is this ever a punk response.

If you will look back into the thread, I think you will see that the point being refuted was that doctors are all rich. I'm sorry it makes you sick to find out that it's not so.
  • Reply 142 of 184
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Boy, is this ever a punk response.

If you will look back into the thread, I think you will see that the point being refuted was that doctors are all rich. I'm sorry it makes you sick to find out that it's not so.

That's not the case - at least that's not my perspective of it. I don't think gunner was arguing that all MD's are rich - he (she?) was arguing that the average MD does pretty well, and the bottom line is, that's true; if you look at actual MD salaries, it is absolutely true that they are much better off than average.

If you believe the argument that becoming an MD means one has to sacrifice one's personal life, lose most if not all of one's friends, and must sacrifice one's marriage... is somehow less extreme and more worthy of defense or praise than anything I have said, I can only say that I disagree, and I wish you well.

By the way, isn't accusing someone of making a punk response... somewhat of a punk response in itself?
  • Reply 143 of 184
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Median salary for Family Practice Physicians in the US is ~$170,000 per year, and less than 10% make under $129,000 per year.

What does the salary of a doctor have to do with whether the job is hard and full of sacrifice?

The president makes $400,000 a year so guess that make his job super easy, no?
  • Reply 144 of 184
    Quote:

That's not the case - at least that's not my perspective of it. I don't think gunner was arguing that all MD's are rich - he (she?) was arguing that the average MD does pretty well, and the bottom line is, that's true; if you look at actual MD salaries, it is absolutely true that they are much better off than average.

If you believe the argument that becoming an MD means one has to sacrifice one's personal life, lose most if not all of one's friends, and must sacrifice one's marriage... is somehow less extreme and more worthy of defense or praise than anything I have said, I can only say that I disagree, and I wish you well.

By the way, isn't accusing someone of making a punk response... somewhat of a punk response in itself?

No, just pointing out the obvious.
  • Reply 145 of 184
    Quote:

Yes. Doctors make more than most people. Even "poorly" paid ones. Duh.

The fact you are neglecting is called Opportunity Cost. This is the cost of the TIME that doctors spend learning their trade.

Here is an excellent comparison of total career income of a UPS driver vs. a primary care Physician.

http://www.er-doctor.com/doctor_income.html

You will notice that the UPS driver has a higher net worth than the doctor from Post-High-School-Year 1 through 27. By year 27, they've evened out a bit.

Unfortunately this chart assumes only $100,000 of education debt for the physician.

It also neglects to factor in the interest of the student loans, as well as the income that could be earned by the UPS driver through real estate purchases, investing, 401k, etc during the time the doctor was in training.

Put that in your crack pipe and smoke it.
  • Reply 146 of 184
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    my first words are other IPAD AND other slates will be crippled until all medical data and medical film is entered in computers . And the paper records burned and destroyed by other...

REPRINTED BY DEMAND

I find everyone here taking an extreme myopic view of how the whole MEDICAL SW IPAD situation will play out over the next 5 yrs. . >>>>>>

FIRST OFF obama is pushing very hard w / STIM money's for all medical records to be computerized in a worldwide simple readable format.

I GUESS some SAP/ORACLE cloud SW that will cost $3000 per office instead OF todays $25000.

The point is every scrap of HANDWRITTEN data once entered in electronic form will be accessible in nano seconds world wide on an any cloud based device , OBAMA wants to reduce over all heath care costs.

SO what ever toy like baby stuff SW that is done now will be dwarfed by the coming titanic data influx that will soon swamp the world's net works ...

Economies of scales will reduce the per office price . <<i hope >>

At some point DOCTORS WITH IPAD LIKE DEVICES will treat patients with their full MEDICAL histories and full treatment options including ALL drug interaction warnings and other patient instruction's EMAILED to the patient at the same time /

>>>>>> I just finished 5 months of triple triple chemo and 6 weeks of heavy neck radiation

My treatment files are 2 feet high at this moment. AND since I have 3 doctors and a central billing file and central back up file.THEIR IS now 5 files on me . INSTEAD OF one paper file and one electric file

So you guys will see many medical SW programs die A WELCOME death . THE COMING CLOUD BASED STORM will save us billions of dollars ..Well thats the plan anyway .

And APPLES 3RD GEN  IPAD will be the best option for the medical community to adopt in patient and other medical processes.

The medical community has thirsted after a LAB COAT sized device for decades. I hope ipad fits the bill. Many lives will be saved if this whole thing is done right .

peace

9[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 147 of 184
    Quote:

And your response points out to me once again why I so rarely get drawn into a 'conversation' here. These fora rarely include genuine attempts at debate. Rather, the most common behavior I observe here is an overriding desire to best each other at argument, coupled with a lack of any form of common kindness or decency, and devoid of any genuine attempt to understand the perspective of others.

Put bluntly, discussions here degenerate with rapidity into mass insults and flame wars, and are peopled by individuals such as yourself - people who seem driven to stoke their own egos through the perceived intellectual besting of anyone that may find themselves so unfortunate as to be on the receiving end of the effort, but ironically achieved by engaging in what is otherwise a vain, empty, waste of time.
  • Reply 148 of 184
    Getting back on-topic:

Everyone should watch this video if you haven't seen it. It's called "If Air Travel Worked Like Health Care" and is a wonderful demonstration of the dire need of information tech reform in health care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J67xJKpB6c
  • Reply 149 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

So long as it's sterilizable and fluid resistant. It'll have to withstand constant cleaning with alcohol and other compounds.

Although for what a hospital stay costs, an iPad could almost be disposable.

Three chest X-rays run you over $600. Yes, this is sales tax with the cost of US Health Care.
  • Reply 150 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Three chest X-rays run you over $600. Yes, this is sales tax with the cost of US Health Care.

And remember, over 50% of hospitals in the US are on the verge of bankruptcy. Those Xrays cost so much because the hospital is trying to recoup the losses it takes on non-paying patients and the lack of funding it receives of federal and state programs (medicare, etc).

Again, of that $600 (which again, is the rate determined by an agreement between your insurance provider and the hospital) the radiologist sees around $10-15.

The rest goes to pay for the Xray machines, the staff, and cover the cost of the deadbeats that don't pay.

Little WSJ blurb about it here...they have others...

http://blogs.wsj.com/bankruptcy/2009...y/tab/article/
  • Reply 151 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitlnoize View Post

Yes. Doctors make more than most people. Even "poorly" paid ones. Duh.

The fact you are neglecting is called Opportunity Cost. This is the cost of the TIME that doctors spend learning their trade.

Pardon me, but I was the one who was agreeing with you.
  • Reply 152 of 184
    Quote:

And your response points out to me once again why I so rarely get drawn into a 'conversation' here. These fora rarely include genuine attempts at debate. Rather, the most common behavior I observe here is an overriding desire to best each other at argument, coupled with a lack of any form of common kindness or decency, and devoid of any genuine attempt to understand the perspective of others.

Put bluntly, discussions here degenerate with rapidity into mass insults and flame wars, and are peopled by individuals such as yourself - people who seem driven to stoke their own egos through the perceived intellectual besting of anyone that may find themselves so unfortunate as to be on the receiving end of the effort, but ironically achieved by engaging in what is otherwise a vain, empty, waste of time.

Since you've made no real attempt to respond to anything I actually said, and have generally been unpleasant and insulting about it the entire time, then I suppose I could have expected no better as a response.

Fora, indeed.
  • Reply 153 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

All these great Apps are wonderful, but they need a corresponding software on a Windows or Mac to process data or move it to other applications that rely upon more hardware capabilities that only a computer provides.

So eventually, despite how hard Apple tries to lock down the iPad, it's going to have to realize that software needs to be able to access all devices and be uniform.

So there should be no reason why Apps can't be run on Windows or OS X so everything is compatible with what's on iPads, iPhones and iPod Touches, Apple will have to come around to that conclusion eventually.

The sooner the better IMMO.

You must have been tripping when you wrote this......
  • Reply 154 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Oops. Forgot to add my sarky flag Thought it was kinda obvious

It was....
  • Reply 155 of 184
    Quote:

No offense, but I had to install Citrix for a real estate client who bought a Mac only to realize her IE based software wouldn't work.

I really don't recommend it and it most likely won't work on the iPad/A4 processors anyway without a major rewrite.

I have to agree the citrix/ICA workaround sucks... but fortunately most everything in real estate has caught up with the times and is now platform independent. So you can get your client to uninstall it now . I'm sure she'll be happy, I was.
  • Reply 156 of 184
    Quote:

And lest we forget, the physicians who embraced Newton just might be a little leery at giving Apple a second chance.

"What happens when Apple kills THIS platform?" is a legitimate concern.

Yeah... they'll kill it as soon as the iphone dies....
  • Reply 157 of 184
    Quote:

Since you've made no real attempt to respond to anything I actually said, and have generally been unpleasant and insulting about it the entire time, then I suppose I could have expected no better as a response.

Fora, indeed.

Are you honestly under the impression that your patronizing responses and condescending tone somehow deserve something more from me?

I'm sorry you and a few others here think I'm so mistaken in what I have said, here. I, in turn, think you collectively have demonstrated a significant perspective deficit, and I stand by what I said. I think any MD who honestly wants to assert that their discipline requires such sacrifice that they must set aside having friends, give up marriages, and essentially sacrifice having a personal life in virtually every aspect... well, I think that person is suffering from vocational hypochondria, or perhaps some form of transference. And if you consider such a perspective to be actually valid and you agree with it, so much so that you feel justified in attacking me for saying otherwise, then I just can't help you.
  • Reply 158 of 184
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

. I think any MD who honestly wants to assert that their discipline requires such sacrifice that they must set aside having friends, give up marriages, and essentially sacrifice having a personal life in virtually every aspect... well, I think that person is suffering from vocational hypochondria, .

Have you ever worker 100 hrs in one week? How about 80 hrs, the new 'limit'.

Have you done that for 4 years, or more?
  • Reply 159 of 184
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Huge. And it's not even on sale yet.

bingo

doctors have needed an ipad like device from many years

i figure 3rd gen ipad will be ready for massive medical adoption .

all the various communities will make the ipad their own .

the iphone >>> ipad combo will be un beatable

i guess the nano video phone may be next

peace

• Reply 160 of 184
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmjds View Post

As a physician, I will not be able to use the IPad to access my EMR because the IPad doesn't support Windows.

Sure it does. Leave your desktop running and use Go To My PC to access the desktop. You'll have access to your full desktop environment while you're making your rounds.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gunner View Post

Has your IT department ever heard of Citrix and the ICA client?

Or Go To My PC (they told me the iPad version would be out 'soon'). Or any of a dozen other thin client software packages.

Quote:

Yes it interferes with the patient monitors, any electromagnetic signals actually, 3G enabled laptops as well and I suspect 3G iPads will too, unless Apple has made sure that doesn't happen, how I would not know.

Is there any reason to believe that you won't be able to turn off the 3G signal (or the WiFi for that matter)? You can turn it off on the iPhone, so why not on the iPad. After all, these things will be heavily used on airplanes, as well.

Quote:

I think he's more interested in a integrated cross platform based solution for the need at hand, something that runs well on Windows, the iPad and OS X in case he switches platforms too. Of course this would require Windows and the third party software to update and manage the iPad, something I think Steve will not allow.

I guess you missed the 140,000 apps in the app store. There are a number of iPhone clients that offer what you want. If you really must use Windows, leave it on your PC and use any of the PC clients listed above. Bingo. Problem solved.

Quote:

I think businesses would embrace the iPad if Apple guaranteed full long-term commitment.

As a businesses, I would still see too many "Look at Newton" shadows to be comfortable making an initial large-scale investment. Anything medical costs a fortune to deploy; the last thing anyone wants is to base their business on a costly iPad-specific app, only too see their investment orphaned down the line.

This is, of course, absurd. What Apple product has been 'Newtoned' in the past decade? Apple's commitment to its products is easily as good as anyone in the industry.

Quote:

I design and develop applications used in hospitals for a living; I believe I have some credibility in this area. I agree that the concept of adopting a new operating system platform may be a bit challenging to hospital IT departments, but it is for this reason that the closed ecosystem of the iPad actually works for the device, whereas a full MacOS implementation would not. Why? Because it is virtually impossible for the user of the device to screw it up. Hospital IT staff can disable the installation of applications, iTunes, YouTube - this is a huge plus for them.

Exactly. This is not a PC. It's not meant to replace PCs. It's not even meant to replace laptops or netbooks. It's a portable device with limited capabilities for specific applications. And it's going to sell like hotcakes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

To be fair. Apple has over promised and under delivered with every iPhone OS since they changed the mobile market.

Apple has a very sad track record of only giving the users what will drive up market share before the next release of the iPhone OS (Can't speak for Mac OSX, not a user).

Your first statement is total BS. Apple doesn't promise anything at all. They don't announce products until they're done - so what you see is what you get (unlike the rest of the industry which thrives on vaporware). All the 'overpromising' comes from media hype and that's not Apple's fault.

I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by the second sentence. So Apple has a very sad track record of giving users what they want to buy? Is that really what you're trying to say? Why is that a complaint?

Oh, and maybe you should stop spending so much time whining about Macs since you don't use them and obviously don't know anything about them. Stick to a topic you know something about.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Two words to describe the iPad:-

thin client

Exactly. Citrix / Go to my PC / etc will be the killer app.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I've considered that to be the one concept that could make up for most of the iPad's limitations. It looks fine on the iphone but clearly just needs a bigger screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6TA5WDMRhA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwFgO5WizGM

This solves the problem for businesses that already have a server setup that can easily deliver this kind of experience. When it comes to home users though, there needs to be something more.

Apple could bundle some sort of Clouded Leopard as part of MobileMe that allows users certain parts of a full desktop OS experience and optimized for touch interaction. The downside is making sure the experience works well over the user's network connection and some things are just going to be unworkable.

There comes the issue of software licenses. If you already own software at home, how can you run that on an Apple server? Thin client solutions will work in some cases - probably the best examples being the medical industry - but it won't be the best solution for everyone.

Look up Go To My PC. There is hardly anyone that won't work for.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

my first words are other IPAD AND other slates will be crippled until all medical data and medical film is entered in computers . and the paper records burned and destroyed by other...

That's one of the sillier arguments I've ever seen. The fact that not all data is on the computer affects the entire industry - not just slates. If you have data available on your computer, it's available to the iPad. Period. If it's not available on your computer, then the specs of the iPad are completely irrelevant