Apple iPad pros and cons

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's all new iPad looks very great. But it do have many features missing. Check out some here http://bit.ly/alnewipad .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aroshu123 View Post

Apple's all new iPad looks very great. But it do have many features missing. Check out some here http://bit.ly/alnewipad .

You should have title this Ipad cons because there are no Pros on your page...
  • Reply 2 of 31
    I find this amusing-

Quote:

Less storage space: The maximum you can get with an iPad is 64 GB! It is a tablet and people expect to store their movies, songs and all other kinds of media on the device and 64 GB isn't even enough for one's family photos!

I have 163 songs, 5 movies, 4 tv shows, 25 apps and 96 photos on an 8GB iPod Touch, and still have 2.3 GB free memory. Just how many family photos does this guy have?
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

I find this amusing-

I have 163 songs, 5 movies, 4 tv shows, 25 apps and 96 photos on an 8GB iPod Touch, and still have 2.3 GB free memory. Just how many family photos does this guy have?

Well, Ipads are going to be used a lot more for videos than Iphone/Ipod. This is where space kicks in. My AppleTV 720P encodes are at about 2 gigs per movie, so ...
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Well, Ipads are going to be used a lot more for videos than Iphone/Ipod. This is where space kicks in. My AppleTV 720P encodes are at about 2 gigs per movie, so ...

I'm sure a lot of people, like myself, delete movies/tv shows after watching them, so there's really no need to have more movies than can be played on a charge. 5 at 2GB each is only 10GB.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Quote:

I'm sure a lot of people, like myself, delete movies/tv shows after watching them, so there's really no need to have more movies than can be played on a charge. 5 at 2GB each is only 10GB.

Depends, I was thinking of bringing the thing on vacation, so I will need enough spaces for a few movies and TV shows. 32/64 will be good but 16 is pushing it.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Quote:

Depends, I was thinking of bringing the thing on vacation, so I will need enough spaces for a few movies and TV shows. 32/64 will be good but 16 is pushing it.

In that case, I would just use standard definition rips, which range from 3-700 MB for a display of that size.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Quote:

In that case, I would just use standard definition rips, which range from 3-700 MB for a display of that size.

With 400+ DVD/BR rips, I am kind of hoping to avoid re-encoding I did a few for my ipod touch, its still 90 mins per encodes on a quad-core PC. And at 2x the price of a DvD, I not buying anything on Itunes...
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Quote:

With 400+ DVD/BR rips, I am kind of hoping to avoid re-encoding I did a few for my ipod touch, its still 90 mins per encodes on a quad-core PC.

Are you using iSquint? Takes me around 20 min per, and it can load multiple files in the queue, so just load it up, and check the box saying add to iTunes.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Quote:

I find this amusing-

I am not a camera guy, but my cousin is (and he is NOT a photographer, all he takes is family photos), his camera is of high pixels and he wants high resolution, and each photo is about 3 MB. I do think 64GB is not a very good memory space- iPad was meant to be better than a netbook, also there is no SD card slot or USB on the default product!
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:

Are you using iSquint? Takes me around 20 min per, and it can load multiple files in the queue, so just load it up, and check the box saying add to iTunes.

I am using handbrake, I do have a Q but I always do variable rate h.264 2 pass encodes, which takes a lot longer than constant quality encodes. I am very picky on quality. My 720p blue-ray rips looks a lot better on my AppleTV then the Itunes HD movies they rent.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Quote:

I am using handbrakes, I do have a Q but I always do variable rate h.264 2 pass encodes, which takes a lot longer than constant quality encodes. I am very picky on quality.

Yeah..quality does matters. I watched 'The Dark Knight' in HD and in mini screen..I felt the difference. But it will be okay for slow or classic movies.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Quote:

I am using handbrakes, I do have a Q but I always do variable rate h.264 2 pass encodes, which takes a lot longer than constant quality encodes. I am very picky on quality.

Have you ever tried VisualHub? It does a good job, and is significantly faster than HandBrake. Usually around 30 min. for a high-quality movie.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:

I am not a camera guy, but my cousin is (and he is NOT a photographer, all he takes is family photos), his camera is of high pixels and he wants high resolution, and each photo is about 3 MB. I do think 64GB is not a very good memory space- iPad was meant to be better than a netbook, also there is no SD card slot or USB on the default product!

If all he wants is something portable with a larger HD, then a netbook should suit him fine. I think most users whom the iPad is geared toward will find even the 16 GB model adequate.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Quote:

I am not using Itunes to sync stuff to my apple TV, its extremely unconvenient not to mention the AppleTV 160g HD cant fit my 2000g movies and TV collection. I am using XBMC to simply link the AppleTV to my network disk server.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:

If all he wants is something portable with a larger HD, then a netbook should suit him fine. I think most users whom the iPad is geared toward will find even the 16 GB model adequate.

Yes, it will be great if they add a USB port, so that we can easily us external HD. Anyway storage depends from person to person (and it is not designed for business as well). But what do you think about Flash support, will it be best browsing experience without flash?
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:

Yes, it will be great if they add a USB port, so that we can easily us external HD. Anyway storage depends from person to person (and it is not designed for business as well). But what do you think about Flash support, will it be best browsing experience without flash?

A networked HD like Time Capsule would better than being tethered to a USB drive.

I find flash content annoying and skip through it whenever possible. As popular as I think the iPad will be, I think many sites will adapt for the iPad, so lack of flash won't be an issue for most.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:

A networked HD like Time Capsule would better than being tethered to a USB drive.

I find flash content annoying and skip through it whenever possible. As popular as I think the iPad will be, I think many sites will adapt for the iPad, so lack of flash won't be an issue for most.

For home use, what we will need is a port of XBMC to the Ipad so we can just play whatever is on our network without copying anything to the Ipad.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    So he can only store 1 photo every 30 minutes, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for a year.

OMG the injustice of it all.

Quote:

• Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So he can only store 1 photo every 30 minutes, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for a year.

OMG the injustice of it all.

This one time at Cruise camp I took 8 gigs of pics and videos in a single trip. With 10 mpixels camera doing 720p video out there 16 gigs is nothing. And I am talking normal people here, not some hardcore taking pics all day long for a job. Since Ipad's are NOT upgradable, think it twice before buying a low memory one.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:

This one time at Cruise camp I took 8 gigs of pics and videos in a single trip. With 10 mpixels camera doing 720p video out there 16 gigs is nothing. And I am talking normal people here, not some hardcore taking pics all day long for a job.

You clearly need a MB or MB Pro, not an iPad.