Apple seeds new Mac OS X 10.6.3 beta with OpenGL improvements

Comments

• Reply 41 of 99
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Why on earth is that the problem.

Come on. The point is SL has ruined another two computers of mine(not from refurb).

Anyhow, it's not like there is much choice. If I were to buy another computer brand new, it's still going to have all the problems I am witnessing (bar the glossy screen which I obviously wouldn't have chosen).

Its not like Im deluged with alternative options. Can't get away from that silly no-button trackpad for example. It's totally inaccurate.

If you're not smart enough to know that your trackpad is a button, I'm not surprised that you can't solve your computer problems.
  • Reply 42 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Don't buy a Mac if you don't like the HW that comes with a Mac.

Oh please. Why do you lot have to get so defensive.

I have been a mac user for over 20 years. Merely pointing out a few pet hates is hardly enough to make me jump ship.

It is simply my opinion that Apple's current lineup is not up to their usual standard. Usability has suffered for the sake of style. Whereas Apple normally manage to pull off both, or at least have a happy medium.
  • Reply 43 of 99
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Chill guys - chill \

On the lighter (other) side...............

Windows 7 stability fix breaks stability, puzzles Microsoft

"An update is available to improve the stability and the reliability of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2." Unfortunately,

according to a thread on Microsoft TechNet, the update (KB977074) is actually breaking the stability and reliability of the operating system."

More on the issues with the new 'Windows'

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...some-users.ars
  • Reply 44 of 99
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Oh please. Why do you lot have to get so defensive.

I have been a mac user for over 20 years. Merely pointing out a few pet hates is hardly enough to make me jump ship.

It is simply my opinion that Apple's current lineup is not up to their usual standard. Usability has suffered for the sake of style. Whereas Apple normally manage to pull off both, or at least have a happy medium.

It's not being defensive, it's being pragmatic. If I felt the Mac notebooks suffered from lowered usability I wouldn't buy one. I use an HP Media Smart running Windows Home Server because Time Capsule doesn't butbit for me. I won't be buying an iPad because it serves no purpose for me. I do find the Mac multitouch trackpad with intigated button to be an absolute dream to use. You don't have to agree but I wonder why you'd buy or not return a product that lowers your productivity. It's not rational.
  • Reply 45 of 99
    Quote:

I've never experienced a better trackpad and I've been using notebooks for over a decade. I never use scroll bars in Windows anymore with the multi-touch trackpad.

Both my other computers have multitouch AND a separate button. That was perfect. I also never use scroll bars and love that feature. But that feature is not tied to 0 button trackpad.

Quote:

BTW, your statement is incorrect. The trackpad has a physical button.

You know what I'm getting at.
  • Reply 46 of 99
    Quote:

You don't have to agree but I wonder why you'd buy or not return a product that lowers your productivity. It's not rational.

Because I write software for the mac and it's profitable. I could not do that on an HP even if I wanted to.
  • Reply 47 of 99
    Quote:

Both my other computers have multitouch AND a separate button. That was perfect. I also never use scroll bars and love that feature. But that feature is not tied to 0 button trackpad.

You know what I'm getting at.

"0 button" is an erroneous statement. You may not like that it's not separate from the trackpad but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

What exactly can you hate about it? The pressure it takes to depress it? Then adjust it with the screw underneath. The fact that it's obviously flush? Glue a piece to the forward part to match the old separate button. The concept of change? Then don't buy a Mac. It's pretty simple.
  • Reply 48 of 99
    Quote:

Because I write software for the mac and it's profitable. I could not do that on an HP even if I wanted to.

Get a desktop or an older MBP. Note that the HP Envys now have a large multitouch trackpad with integrated buttons. This may be catching on Windows and Synaptic get multitouch working better.

I can't even use a regular mouse anymore, so I don't. I'm like an ape trying to manuever it.
  • Reply 49 of 99
    Quote:

What exactly can you hate about it? The pressure it takes to depress it?

Yes thats one thing. The RSI in my hands hurts more than ever at the mo.

I did not know about the screw, will look into that.

Quote:

. The fact that it's obviously flush? Glue a piece to the forward part to match the old separate button.

haha no. That doesn't bother me.

Quote:

The concept of change?

Ha no. I have always been an early adopter of technologies and changes that possess vision.

The main situation where it irritates me is when I am using software with very small UI controls. For example when I am using Logic and I am incrementing a parameter.

With my other computer I would position the pointer over the incrementing UI element, take my finger off the trackpad, then click the button to increment. Sometimes I have to increment 5 or more times.

With the new (and I'm going to continue to call it 0 button) 0 button trackpad, after a few presses, and because the trackpad IS the button, sometimes the pointer will have drifted and is clicking another UI element that I did not desire.

A pointer that drifts is just not what I expect from a professional tool, and it is not what I expect from Apple. It's a fundamentally flawed design IMO.

Quote:

Then don't buy a Mac. It's pretty simple.

OK your logic is crazy (assuming you read that I write software for the platform?). I can only guess Techstud has hacked into your account. Because I normally associate you with reasoned posts.
  • Reply 50 of 99
    Anyway I was just having a moan because I spent all last week fixing a screwy Snow Leopard file system, when all I wanted to do was download the iPad dev tools and have a play. Bloody annoying. I haven't had to piss about like that since OS9.
  • Reply 51 of 99
    Prime example: Just went to close this tab in Safari, positioned the pointer, clicked, but it did not close because the pointer had drifted off the 'close' button.
  • Reply 52 of 99
    Quote:

Prime example: Just went to close this tab in Safari, positioned the pointer, clicked, but it did not close because the pointer had drifted off the 'close' button.

If making it easier to click by adjusting the screw doesn't work I'd test out a MBP or two at an Apple Store as I've never had the pointer jump around on me. It could be indicitive of a bigger issue, not a user issue. I have sent my MBP in for service when the button didn't register the press on one area. Sent back the next day working fine.
  • Reply 53 of 99
    Quote:

Easiest thing is to enable tap-click. It is so much better. I never use the physical button.

solipsism: What he means is when you click the physical button with the pad of your finger your natural motion causes the pointer to move slightly. If you click with the tip of your finger then this won't be an issue.
  • Reply 54 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

If you're not smart enough to know that your trackpad is a button, I'm not surprised that you can't solve your computer problems.

• Reply 55 of 99
    Quote:

Seriously?!! Sorry... but IMHO... that's someone who has not worked on a Mac for 20 years... since every seasoned Mac pro that I know uses Command-W, as well as the other commands, like Command-Q... which I think you should do with your Mac and your trolling.
  • Reply 56 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

It would be interesting to see what type of Mac you have and what you are running when the system suddenly reboots.

2x 3.2GHz Harpertown Xeon Quad Core, 4GB 800MHz DDR2 ECC FB-DIMM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 1GB, Logitech Z-5500 Digital audio speakers, 500GB Serial ATA, two 16x SuperDrives. I have almost no apps installed atm, I disabled Bluetooth, I disconnected my webcam, I disconnected my audio system, you name it, and still I experience at least one random reboot every day.

The machine has gone through all the hardware checks it could (even very low level checks) and reported no issues at all.

I'm not the only one with this issue btw: Apple Forums.

I'm waiting for this OS update as the emphasis should be on stability.
  • Reply 57 of 99
    I like Snow Leopard, and I don't have any problems. I keep my system up to date, I'm choosey about what I install and I don't customise the OS with 3rd party add ons. My system runs like a dream.
  • Reply 58 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Seriously?!! Sorry... but IMHO... that's someone who has not worked on a Mac for 20 years... since every seasoned Mac pro that I know uses Command-W, as well as the other commands, like Command-Q... which I think you should do with your Mac and your trolling.

Oh how pathetic.

When you get to my experience kid, you just close the fucking window whichever fucking way suits you at the time.

Jeeze, what the hell is wrong with you lot today.

"trolling" HA! grow up.

I'm a Fanboi when I praise Apple. I'm a Troll when I criticise. I can't win lol.
  • Reply 59 of 99
    Quote:

If making it easier to click by adjusting the screw doesn't work I'd test out a MBP or two at an Apple Store as I've never had the pointer jump around on me. It could be indicitive of a bigger issue, not a user issue. I have sent my MBP in for service when the button didn't register the press on one area. Sent back the next day working fine.

Possibly could be a defect. I do find it strange that I have never seen anyone else online moaning about it when for instance, my girlfriend used my computer for the first time last week and her exact words were "what the hell, that jumped, thats shocking, thats like my PC at work" and that was after a mere 30 seconds using it.

I also have used other MBP's in the past for short periods and had not noticed the drift. But my instinct tells me that given time, I would still notice 'the drift'.

Aesthetically I love it. Practically, and especially as someone who suffers from RSI, I dislike it.

90% of the time I use a 5 button mouse anyway so it's not that great an issue, but when I'm travelling I often do not have that luxury. Such as right now, and my hands are in agony.
  • Reply 60 of 99
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEKSTUD View Post

Quicktime X fixed finally- my fingers are crossed.

Another frustratingly useless post - fixed? What's wrong with it - no issues here...