Do you think Microsoft will develope a version of Windows that supports Apple's

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
proprietary arm processors should they ever make a complete switch or do you think they would just let this new found market die a slow death?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I don't think it will happen. They're competitors...and in future if one of the companies buy the other one this may happen!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Like the Windows CE based mobile versions that have been running on ARM based processors since 2003?

Is that what you mean?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    I'm concerned about how much attention some companies are placing on the ARM products. Imagine if Apple one day (a few years down the line of course) announced a switch to ARM entirely.

412MHz CPU iphone 2G is noted as being 1/10th the performance of a 1.6GHz G5:

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2007/...or-the-iphone/

I'd expect the single-core 1GHz A4 Cortex A9 will be about 3 times this so 1/3 the speed of a 1.6GHz G5. Given that current Core 2 Duos are fast enough for most things and are 3-4 times faster than the 1.6GHz G5, we need a speed up of a factor of 10 over the current A4.

Double the processor speed every 12-18 months and in the next 5 years, you could be running everything from your mobile phone with an ARM CPU with a 256GB Nano SSD and 2-4GB RAM. If they just bundle more cores, the progression to this setup could be faster.