Importance of flash for the iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

I don't see those 80% getting converted to HTML5 anytime soon.

If content creators want their content to be seen, then they know that Flash is not a reliable method for getting it onto mobile platforms.

Details of Windows Mobile 7 emerged today. And it's not going to have Flash either.

Anyone who wants their content to be viewed on mobile, needs to find a way around the Flash "problem". And that means offering alternative delivery methods.

C.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Quote:

I'm not so sure about that. 80% of Youtube/online videos is Flash ...and thus presently inaccessible to iPads!

ok... So 80% of YouTube's total library is flash. But what's the percentage when you only consider the videos that are worth watching? Now (since we're making up statistics) only 20% are limited to flash-only.

I could really care less if "two girls one cup" is flash-only. But it seems that the few videos actually worth seeing are usually available in the .h264 or html5 formats.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

i don't think flash is critical. Ads, games, videos, etc. these are things i don't find important.

if people want to play games, they should download one of the thousands of games available in the app store. for videos, there's an app for that.

I'd be the first to say I don't like Flash, but it's not quite that simple like you put it. Millions of people play Flash games on Facebook that do not have apps outside of their Flash apps, for those "millions" it's not so easy. For me it is, but for them it's not.

This will change, but it's going to take time, quite some time. For those people HTML5 is going to be more of a solution than an App Store app.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    That HTML5 Canvas animation makes my CPU go up to 80%.

This HTML5 PAINT app is interesting.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Millions of people play Flash games on Facebook that do not have apps outside of their Flash apps, for those "millions" it's not so easy. For me it is, but for them it's not.

Are not a lot of those Flash games dependent upon keyboard and mice?

C.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    For those who are worried about accessing Disney...

Uncle Walt's company is pretty excited about the iPad.

http://9to5mac.com/ipad_goes_micky_mouse_4567788
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhuzzyToes View Post

How critical is it to have Flash support for the upcoming iPad?

How critical is it to have Flash support for the iPhone?

It isn't.

YouTube is transitioning to HTML5. So is Vimeo.

And now this:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/10/...yment-on-ipad/
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Disney... Hulu... This is just a new beginning in the end of Flash. It won't be long until we are Flash-Free.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    My take is flash isn't too important. Not for the reasons of others though, but simply because websites will make apps if they aren't viewable on the iPad (e.g. the New York Times). HTML5 is long away and only Chrome and Safari (a small percentage of web browsers) even support Youtube's version of it.

In short: Flash will stick around, iPad owners will barely notice it's gone.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I DON'T WANT FLASH ON MY iPad!

I DON'T CARE IF APPLE OKs FLASH!

I WANT FLASH (and Silverlight) TO DIE!
  • Reply 31 of 42
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Disney... Hulu... This is just a new beginning in the end of Flash. It won't be long until we are Flash-Free.

Did Disney annonced they will remove flash from there sites? Going to be one hell of a project...
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Did Disney annonced they will remove flash from there sites? Going to be one hell of a project...

They are going to prepare apps and content for the iPad. Don't know about anything else. So, they are moving away from Flash.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

They are going to prepare apps and content for the iPad. Don't know about anything else. So, they are moving away from Flash.

The mobile disney site works on safari but its pretty limited in size, no where near the real site.

I am doing massive testing of sites using safari on the Ipod Touch, so far it doesnt look so good, lots of sites are using flash, with some not working at all without it. Most big sites using flash will transfert you to there mobile version, which are design for very small screens, so they wont look good on the ipad.

The Ipad need to support flash at least for webpages if not videos. Videos are just the tip of the iceberg, Flash is massively used in webpages too. WTF was Mr Jobs smoking when he annonced the Ipad would be a better experience than a laptop?!?
  • Reply 34 of 42
    The majority of Youtube vids are Flash. iPads don't run Flash, so most of Youtube's content is inaccessible to iPads. That's why iPad, as is, will bomb.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruchiicoool View Post

The majority of Youtube vids are Flash. iPads don't run Flash, so most of Youtube's content is inaccessible to iPads. That's why iPad, as is, will bomb.

Next time, read the thread before hitting reply.

The fact that YouTube is moving to HTML5 has already been mentioned.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Next time, read the thread before hitting reply.

The fact that YouTube is moving to HTML5 has already been mentioned.

Youtube also has a dedicated app for iPhone and iPod Touch (it even comes with the freaking device).

Of course Youtube will be fully supported at full iPad resolution.

[edit] On closer inspection, that poster was sig spamming. [/edit]
  • Reply 37 of 42
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruchiicoool View Post

There's a YouTube app (doesn't require Flash) for the iPhone and iPod touch and the iPad will be no different.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    like blood for heart
  • Reply 39 of 42
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhuzzyToes View Post

I presume people have discussed this topic ad noseum already.. I don't know.

As far as I can tell, Flash provides for a rich experience on the web for the likes of me.

Curiously when I inadvertently disabled Flash on my web browser I lost some animated ads on some web pages I visited. That was a happy coincidence. It also means I will not see those annoying, undesirable animated ads on the iPad. In fact, I would hope it stays this way

How critical is it to have Flash support for the upcoming iPad?

Not at all. A lot of us have to ClicktoFlash installed in our browsers. Flash can die
  • Reply 40 of 42
    midiacmidiac Posts: 23member
    Quote:

HTML 5? Dream on! There is practically no HTML 5 video content on the web. So nobody has an HTML 5 player. So nobody codes/compiles for HTML 5.

It's the chicken and the egg.

There is a LOT more to the web then all the crap on Youtube. And for you to make this statement is to claim your own ignorance. Apple has always been an innovator and pathfinder of the future. . . Heck I remember the day I thought they were foolish for creating a computer without a floppy drive. . . the iMac. . . And NOW look at them. . .