Mac OS X versus Windows 7

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What's the verdict?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Windows 7 is pretty good. OSX is better.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    but 7 runs of more hardware with out hacking. and you can get a system with same cpu power as the mac pro with x2 ram, bigger HD and much better vidoe card with windows 7 for about $1000 or more less.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe The Dragon View Post

but 7 runs of more hardware with out hacking.

Joe Blow and Jane Doe need it to run on only one hardware. Theirs.

Quote:

and you can get a system with same cpu power as the mac pro with x2 ram, bigger HD and much better vidoe card with windows 7

But it doesn't run nearly as polished, smoothly, effortlessly, and elegantly as OSX does. 7's underpinnings are still clunky 1978 DOS...

Quote:

for about $1000 or more less.

What use is cheap if it doesn't do what you want? ('Cheap' being relative here of course).

And don't forget with 7 you also need solid antivirus software (and buy upgrades every year) or you'll get 130,000 viruses completely free... Courtesy of M$' shoddy coding. Unprotected PCs get infected within on average 14 minutes from the moment they connect to the internet!
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Here's my take on the matter:

5 years ago, one of the smartest guys I know went to work for MS to work on Outlook.

Outlook is still a piece of shit.

Windows 7 is all hype. I'm sure it's an improvement over XP, but come-on guys ... improving a 6-year old OS that was mediocre to begin with is not a difficult task. If MS wanted to actually make shit happen, they'd based their next OS on the Linux kernel. It's time to change business models.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I'm a huge fan of 7 but I'll continue to buy Macs for ease of use, intuitiveness, plus I can always run 7 on my Mac if I need to. Best of both worlds
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

I'm a huge fan of 7 but I'll continue to buy Macs for ease of use, intuitiveness, plus I can always run 7 on my Mac if I need to. Best of both worlds

I am a recent Mac buyer.... still not convinced frankly. I know Windows inside and out and run both Win and Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Windows is still Windows (read: crap).

I prefer Mac OS X.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    Does anyone know the base of Windows 7?

Is it a made from scratch OS or did they just build on it from pervious Windows?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O-Mac View Post

Is it a made from scratch OS or did they just build on it from pervious Windows?

It is essentially Vista, prettied up a bit.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe The Dragon View Post

but 7 runs of more hardware with out hacking. and you can get a system with same cpu power as the mac pro with x2 ram, bigger HD and much better vidoe card with windows 7 for about $1000 or more less.

Really? What Dell or other crappy maker sells a workstation for $1000 less than the Mac Pro?

No matter how much more a Mac may cost than a 'comparable' Windows box, I save at least an hour a week not messing with security issues or other problems associated with 2nd tier machines. That alone far exceeds any perceived price difference.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

Really? What Dell or other crappy maker sells a workstation for $1000 less than the Mac Pro?

No matter how much more a Mac may cost than a 'comparable' Windows box, I save at least an hour a week not messing with security issues or other problems associated with 2nd tier machines. That alone far exceeds any perceived price difference.

First off, the Precession T3500 sells for about $500 less the Mac Pro in a similar configuration. Second off, nobody else forces you into a workstation when you just want a desktop. i know you guys want to believe that the iMac is the ultimate computer for everyone because the lord Steve Jobs said so, but all in ones aren't one size fits all. I've had three including my current aluminum iMac and have never had a good experience.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

First off, the Precession T3500 sells for about $500 less the Mac Pro in a similar configuration. Second off, nobody else forces you into a workstation when you just want a desktop. i know you guys want to believe that the iMac is the ultimate computer for everyone because the lord Steve Jobs said so, but all in ones aren't one size fits all. I've had three including my current aluminum iMac and have never had a good experience.

Not so. I just priced out a Precision T3500 64bit, and it came to $2393, or about $100 less than a similar Mac Pro quad.

User error/abuse. All the ones I have and have had have been fantastic.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O-Mac View Post

Windows 7, like Vista, XP and 2000, are derived from Windows NT. Windows NT started as a server code base and has some roots in DEC's VMS operating system.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Windows 7 is a big improvement over xp/vista and we run it om a PC at home.

OS X is still better ofcourse