Will pessimists ever be happy?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Sure we've been burned before at past MacWorlds. But I'm kind of tired of all the negative vibes. Yes, Apple is setting themselves up with all this hype.

But what if the unexpected does happen and a G5 or 2GHZ is unveiled?

What if a new handheld was introduced.

Or a 15" widescreen G4 iMac is priced at $1200.

Will all the naysayers on this forum eat their words and rush out to buy a new Mac. Or will they just bitch and complain about something else.

Or will they actually switch to a Wintel system...

I didn't think so.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Nope, even with a G5 released some would stll complain. The rason is, we are like family, and we take our father (Steve) very serious. We also know that the entire planet makes fun of us and we take it personally. So, if we get a G5 that is flawed somehow by bus, or not newest DDR, then the planet will still make jokes about us and are familty. We don't want that to happen so we whine. We beg. We plea that the jokes will end. That will only happen when we are on top. When we make the jokes.

Seeing as how we are only 5% of the planet, that won't happen. So the whining continues.

<I'll stop whining for a G5>
  • Reply 2 of 24
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>

But what if the unexpected does happen and a G5 or 2GHZ is unveiled?

What if a new handheld was introduced.

Or a 15" widescreen G4 iMac is priced at $1200.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh they'd still bitch "$1,200 for a 15" G4 iMac? Is Apple nuts? It should be $799 and include blah, blah, blah..." But at the same time Apple's desktops have been uninspired of late.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Simple answer: no, that's why they're pessimists. And people will always find something to complain about. Whatever Apple does will not cater to everyone's needs or desires. It's simply impossible to do that.

It never fails. These forums (and most others) go through the same cycle of over-arching enthusiasm and melodramatic pessimism for every expo both before and after the show.

Unless of course they're "pessimistic" like me: hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by satchmo:

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: imacSE ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 24
    dp

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: KidRed ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 24
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    There will never be a time that everyone's happy with what Apple has to offer.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    crayzcrayz Posts: 73member
    Bullshit. I am a pessimist and I am very happy when I see my pessimism was unwarranted. If Jobs truly does introduce something incredible at MWSF I will be the first to praise it. But I am not going to pull my punches just because I happen to like Macs. If Apple thinks hyping shit makes it anything better than shit they are wrong.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    gnomgnom Posts: 85member
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>Will all the naysayers on this forum eat their words and rush out to buy a new Mac. Or will they just bitch and complain about something else.

Or will they actually switch to a Wintel system...</strong><hr></blockquote>

most of them haven´t planned on buying anything anyway, so they will just bitch and whine for the sake of it.

bye.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    I'm trying hard to be a pessimist.

If Apple introduces something that can do what I want and is within my means, then there is a good chance that I will sell my WinAMD computer and buy from Apple this summer (or before, if the Apple product is really that great).
  • Reply 9 of 24
    I say that people who bitch about Apples shoulc buy Dells, and hangout at DellInsider.

SdC
  • Reply 11 of 24
    I wonder, if MWSF sucks, will the optimists ever stop apologizing for Apple?

• Reply 12 of 24
    Define 'sucks', and I'll let you know.

SdC
  • Reply 13 of 24
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    [quote]Originally posted by suckfuldotcom:

<strong>I say that people who bitch about Apples shoulc buy Dells, and hangout at DellInsider.

SdC</strong><hr></blockquote>

When I get some cash, I might register that domain for a laugh. Could make a great parody site

Amorya
  • Reply 14 of 24
    tjmtjm Posts: 367member
    Warning!

Pseudo-intellectual Psychobabble Alert!

If you've ever read "Games People Play" by Eric Berne (founder of Transactional Analysis, TA), then much of the bitching and complaining seems to fall under the game of "Blemish".

To quote Berne:

"Thesis: This game is the source of a large percentage of petty dissension in everyday life; it is played from the depressive Child position 'I am no good,' which is protectively transformed into the Parental position 'They are no good.' The player's transactional problem is, then, to prove the latter thesis."

(from Games People Play, Ballantine Books, New York, copyright 1964)

In other words, bitchers and gripers feel like there's something wrong with them. Deep down, they feel "They're OK, I'm not OK" but don't want to accept it ("They" is anyone/everyone, but usually becomes a single target). So they turn it around and assert that "I'm OK, therefore they're not OK" in self-defense.

They don't dare allow themselves to be happy about anything their focus does (Apple Computer, in this case), since if "They're OK" then "I'm not OK."

So my answer is: no, the pessimists will never be happy. At least not until they get their own feelings of inadequacy worked out.

Comment in explanation:

No, I'm not a psychologist (but I play one on TV ). Actually I'm a chemistry professor. I have found TA to be very helpful in understanding the behavior and thinking patterns of my students, which makes me a better teacher. Also, I can identify with the "Blemish" game because I played it for a long time myself (and still do sometimes). And it is very possible that I'm completely full of it, so take this analysis with a large grain of G5 salt.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    No, I whine because there's something wrong with Apple. Their Tower Speeds
  • Reply 16 of 24
    [quote]Sure we've been burned before at past MacWorlds. But I'm kind of tired of all the negative vibes. Yes, Apple is setting themselves up with all this hype.<hr></blockquote>

Of course they are.

Apple never hypes MacWorlds like this.

This is directly comparable to the promo ads for the game Dakikatana which claimed that the project lead John Romero was going to make every gamer "his bitch".

When you diliberately raise expectations to this level, you are daring people to be dissapointed with your product. You are trying to say that it would be next to impossible for you not to believe whatever is released will be as good as it is being promoted as being.

They're setting themselves up for either failure or sucess. One can only hope that this isn't just a product of an RDF hangover and actually something that will be what they claim it will be.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>No, I whine because there's something wrong with Apple. Their Tower Speeds</strong><hr></blockquote>

And what would make Apple right? How fast do the Towers need to be?

2GHz?...oh but wait, Intel is going to have a 2.2 GHz soon...

It's a never ending race. Even if Apple catches up, its sure to lose the lead again, only to catch up again.

Yeah, I'd like faster and cheaper stuff too. Yes, Apple needs to be more competitive. But some have blown things out of proportion and like I said before, are things that bad that you're going to go Wintel? For the majority of us here, I think not.

So in other words, we're at the mercy of Apple with arguably slower than Intel speeds, but I'd take that over the alternative.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    TJM - I couldn't agree more.

SdC
  • Reply 19 of 24
    tltl Posts: 33member
    howthehelldidthathappen?

dp

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: tl ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 24
    tltl Posts: 33member
    Originally posted by tl:

I'm a pessimist, but I could pretty easily be pleased. Having a machine that can compete with a 1.8GHz Athlon in something other than Photoshop for about 2000$ will make me happy.

I want a good machine to replace my aging (ha!) iMac 400, but there isn't one worth it yet! I could build myself a kickass AMD system that would beat every PowerMac at almost every task (save a few Photoshop filters) for thousands less, but I don't want to run Windows. I want a Mac that will serve me for 3-4 years, run the latest games fast (that means the vid card must be upgradable), and be affordable on a college budget.

I can be happy, but I don't know when it will be. If Apple triples my current speed in a machine for under 2k$ (with a few extras thrown in), I will probably buy.

I don't see it happening, though.

and yea, the real problem is that I have a little dick, so, therefore, I take out my frustrations on a computer company.....

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: tl ]</p>