One in five physicians likely to purchase Apple iPad - study

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHKOsta View Post

Nobody's complaining that every doc in the country wasn't asked, and I'm an accountant; we sample. The argument is that sampling 350 people to represent a huge population produces a larger confidence interval than I would like to see. There's a big difference between 13 and 27%, and even 27% may not be terribly impressive, depending on the methodology. Of course you don't take all the blood, but you take enough to run the tests you need.

Right, but as I said, it was marketing study, not a poll. The news we can use is that Epocrates was apparently sufficiently satisfied with the results to do an iPad version of their software. That's all I take from it.
  • Reply 182 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

There are currently already nearly 3 Million Nurses.

There are probably ten times that in support personnel.

They all use Laptops in each room they are monitoring a patient. Each room has a portable station with XP updating records constantly.

Instead of each room having a laptop the Nurse will run around and push changes to the Relational Database System hospital wide thus covering their dozens of patients with reduced costs to the Hospitals.

BEFORE this iPad was announced -- I figured the Medical community at the very least was going to be a HUGE market. Education seems like the next most likely but that depended on price. That $500 mark however, makes it very realistic.

Don't talk about dang netbooks -- they are a distraction for these two market -- especially with kids.

Every one of the DOWN-SIDES pundits have been echoing, are actually HUGE benefits for these two target markets;

>>Control software distribution to secured apps.

>>Remote wipe.

>>Control what data is on the device -- wireless mount points.

>>Does not have a video camera.

>>No seams or keyboard to get contaminants lodged in.

>>Not too small -- not too big.

>>Rugged -- especially with 3rd-party cases.

I expect that Apple will allow for a local wireless distribution. If you become a business-class developer with the iPhone, then you can distribute apps that don't go through the iStore. What I think most hospitals will want is remote storage of data -- such that taking it home will not mean keeping patient records.

>> The other amazing thing to me, is that the CHORUS of detractors seems like an organized marketing PR blitz -- meaning, that SOME of them, are probably people who don't like Apple, resent them, or don't get the Usability > Techno specs sometimes -- but SOME are very likely paid bloggers.

I don't think this is a conspiracy at all, we have people at our office who do "SEO" -- and I'm sure the temptation is for some companies to spam popular blogs with people who pretend to LIKE or DISLIKE a product based on if it is their companies or a competitors.

>> Anyway.... this iPad seems tailor made for medicine. I'm not going to get one until it has a web cam --- but that's me. For Kiosks and Point of Purchase -- even waiters, it is perfect. The other HUGE factor, is the expansion port is designed to have all sorts of diagnostic devices added to it. So lot's of medical instrumentation and sensors are going to migrate to the iPad as they did the iTouch/iPhone. The development of these tools, has probably only caught on since the iPhone 3.0 software release added real time sensor data -- so it should be hitting the market fairly soon, which should only help adoption.

I think that 1 in 5 is a conservative estimate -- but that's the first year. That's 600,000 in sales, maybe a $200 profit margin and that comes to; $120,000,000 in sales if no other group buys it. Not enough to recoup the investment right away -- but that is an influential market. The Geek/Developer market is the one that keep telling us it needs to be a laptop.
  • Reply 183 of 184
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitlnoize View Post

I agree. I'm a huge fan of EMR's...if they work. Currently, most of them suck and are stuck in 1995. If Steve Jobs really wants to make his mark on the world, he'd get Apple to make an EMR from scratch for the iPad Medical Edition.

There are dozens of industries that would welcome Apple making application suites for them.

i work in a completely opposite domain and the users say "just make it work like a mac". More like plead to make it just work like a mac.

It is insanely difficult to make complex apps as well as Apple does. And yes, we have HCI/HSI/UX people, mandated HCI standards and decent budgets and 99% of the apps in my domain really suck. 1% suck somewhat less.
  • Reply 184 of 184
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

There are dozens of industries that would welcome Apple making application suites for them.

i work in a completely opposite domain and the users say "just make it work like a mac". More like plead to make it just work like a mac.

It is insanely difficult to make complex apps as well as Apple does. And yes, we have HCI/HSI/UX people, mandated HCI standards and decent budgets and 99% of the apps in my domain really suck. 1% suck somewhat less.

Well I wish Apple was a bit like Intel. If Intel find a technology they think is important they will invest in it to help ensure its future. WiMax and Clearwire are good examples of this type of activity. I'm guessing they provide a fair amount of technical support as well.

Apple should find Mac vendors in targeted industries and provide monetary and technical support. We know they can't develop apps for everything and they don't need to. But they can help with money and support and develop a framework for how things should work. In that way all Mac apps would have a certain feel to them and it would be easy to transfer skills from one app to another. Oh, and money isn't an issue for Apple right now. They need to do something with all that cash sitting around.

MacPractice is one company that probably would greatly benefit from a little money and Apple technical support. Their billing software is excellent. They are integrating EMR functionality into the app but its immature and not ready for prime time at the moment IMO.