Apple's Aperture 3 brings 200 new features, including Faces, Places

Comments

• Reply 21 of 146
    Mario,

appears you've not used Aperture for more than a couple of minutes, which is a shame as it's more capable than you seem to think.

Aperture gives you the option of importing the images into the database - or you can simply leave the master images where they are already - it's an option in the import area.

Again, for image editing, yes you can use the built-in editor if you like - however just like Lightroom you can externally edit your images with either Photoshop or the multitude of other external plugins.
  • Reply 22 of 146
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

Odd.... No sign of Aperture 3 on Apple.com so far.

if you go to the Aperture page it is v3, the store will likely be up shortly.
  • Reply 23 of 146
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Has Nikon update Capture NX yet? I haven't been able to use mine since I upgraded to SL. They kept promising December '09 and every time I checked, it hadn't been updated yet.

Yes, they have:

http://support.nikontech.com/app/ans...d/116678/sno/1
  • Reply 24 of 146
    OK - i guess I'd consider myself an "advanced amateur" photographer/photoshop-er and am still not certain what I gain in Aperture 3 over my current iPhoto library. Has anyone made a "faq" about switching yet? After all - it's been out almost an hour now! <grin>

And...how easy it to import my nearly 11K images into Aperture 3 (or do I need to import them at all - can it access my existing iPhoto library?)

So many questions...

Thanks

Adam
  • Reply 25 of 146
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

As nice as that would be, I doubt it. They only came out with the latest version a few months ago.

Logic Studio Pro 9 came out around the same time as FCP and has already been updated to 64 bit so it is plausable that FCP 64 would be up soon.
  • Reply 26 of 146
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    NO MACBOOK PROS WTf
  • Reply 27 of 146
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

Logic Studio Pro 9 came out around the same time as FCP and has already been updated to 64 bit so it is plausable that FCP 64 would be up soon.

Well, if we're only talking about going to 64-bit then I guess it plausible. I, however, would like to see them update the UI already, among other things.
  • Reply 28 of 146
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anewman143 View Post

OK - i guess I'd consider myself an "advanced amateur" photographer/photoshop-er and am still not certain what I gain in Aperture 3 over my current iPhoto library. Has anyone made a "faq" about switching yet? After all - it's been out almost an hour now! <grin>

And...how easy it to import my nearly 11K images into Aperture 3 (or do I need to import them at all - can it access my existing iPhoto library?)

So many questions...

Thanks

Adam

You can import any or all copies of the iPhoto Library into Aperture without trouble, the iPhoto versions will be untouched.

Importing pictures into Aperture is necessary because changes are undo-able, and the original version (copy) can be viewed at any time to compare, revise and revert.

I like Aperture because of the excellent controls it has and doesn't have such a steep learning curve like Photoshop has. With Photoshop, you have to keep your skills up, with Aperture you can use it and leave it and then come back again with little trouble using it and decide to undo all your latest changes.

Download the Demo and give it a shot, the filters for adjusting the background, colors etc are great, makes your pictures look way better then the originals. Just watch you don't over correct to a fault, blow the photo's up full screen and use a high definition monitor.

If you need to make big changes to photo's you might be better off using Photoshop, Aperture is more like a photographers tool to make photo adjustments and corrections.
  • Reply 29 of 146
    Anyone know if it's in stores yet?
  • Reply 30 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

As I've recently bought a fancy DSLR (well, technically it's not a DSLR as it's a Micro 4/3rds Lumix GH1), I'm now wondering if I should upgrade iPhoto to Aperture 3.

I have an ancient copy of Photoshop that I find a bit of a pain for retouching (usually removing things from photos, or stitching panoramas), and iPhoto for all the basic stuff.

So, what benefit would Aperture 3 give me as a fairly new and inexperienced hobbyist photographer?

if you find iphoto's touch up features lacking, you might want to give pixelmator a try. there's a free trial, and if you like it.. it's $60 bucks.. I think I got my copy as part of a macheist (or similar) bundle...

it's NOT photoshop so you'll want to keep that around for heavy lifting

if you're not sure about A3, hold off until the reviews come.. i'm sure there will be plenty in the coming weeks.
  • Reply 31 of 146
    ICH KÖNNTE KOTZEN!

I WANT NEW MBPs!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 32 of 146
    Quote:

As I've recently bought a fancy DSLR (well, technically it's not a DSLR as it's a Micro 4/3rds Lumix GH1), I'm now wondering if I should upgrade iPhoto to Aperture 3.

I have an ancient copy of Photoshop that I find a bit of a pain for retouching (usually removing things from photos, or stitching panoramas), and iPhoto for all the basic stuff.

So, what benefit would Aperture 3 give me as a fairly new and inexperienced hobbyist photographer?

Just remember that OSX (that means including Preview, iPhoto and Aperture) does not yet support RAW for the Lumix G cameras. So you are OK if you stay with .jpg.

Whilst I have Aperture 2, I rarely use it. I guess I need to get trained up to figure out whether it can improve my workflow. The neat thing is that it can access your iPhoto library. To be honest iPhoto is more than a match for most of my very amateur needs.

I'm not a Photoshop user either, but I do have Acorn- http://flyingmeat.com/acorn/ - which solves most of my humble needs. If you are cash strapped, you might try Acorn (there is a free version) and stay with iPhoto for image library management.

Stupid fool that I am, I will undoubtedly upgrade to Aperture 3.
  • Reply 33 of 146
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Awesome! It's about time!

I wonder if any of my local Apple stores are open - this will be a great toy to play with as it looks like we are going to get snowed in again tonight and tomorrow.
  • Reply 34 of 146
    Not to be a cheapskate... but how is it iWork for iPad is only worth $10/app ($30 total) and Aperture 3 is $199? I suppose M$ does not have a near monopoly on photo software to break.
  • Reply 35 of 146
    Quote:

First, Aperture is primarily a tool to manage camera RAW files. Since you have a DSLR, I would encourage you to shoot RAW - it's like a digital negative - it's literally the RAW data from the sensor. With software like Aperture or Adobe Lightroom processing RAW files is automated and they provide essential organization.

Between Aperture and NIK softwares excellent plug-ins, I rarely go beyond Aperture for my photo editing needs. I wouldn't use a DSLR without it.

Adobe and Apple both offer trials - I would download each program and try them out. I hated lightroom and really liked the feel of Aperture, but everyone is different. With either program, just be prepared to spend a little time learning how to make the most of them - but you will be rewarded, esp. if you start shooting in any kind of volume - either program will save you lots of time and keep you much better organized.
  • Reply 36 of 146
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    store back up, still the same old core 2 duo MBP for $2000
  • Reply 37 of 146
    And the ultimate irony - Apple shipped first

Should be fun watching all those who jumped to lightroom because of the lightroom 3 beta
  • Reply 38 of 146
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Awesome! It's about time!

I wonder if any of my local Apple stores are open - this will be a great toy to play with as it looks like we are going to get snowed in again tonight and tomorrow.

You could download the 30-day free trial in the meantime.
  • Reply 39 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

You can't do anything to an image until you first "import" it, into stupid proprietary DB. Thanks, but no thanks. I like keeping my images on the filesystem, organized in folders with perhaps spotlight comments if I really care

You might wish to be somewhat familiar with something before you criticize it. Google "Referenced Masters" - it does exactly what you want.

Then again if you think spotlight is adequate you probably don't have the needs to justify a program like Aperture or Lightroom.
  • Reply 40 of 146
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fluffylump View Post

Just remember that OSX (that means including Preview, iPhoto and Aperture) does not yet support RAW for the Lumix G cameras. So you are OK if you stay with .jpg.

Whilst I have Aperture 2, I rarely use it. I guess I need to get trained up to figure out whether it can improve my workflow. The neat thing is that it can access your iPhoto library. To be honest iPhoto is more than a match for most of my very amateur needs.

I'm not a Photoshop user either, but I do have Acorn- http://flyingmeat.com/acorn/ - which solves most of my humble needs. If you are cash strapped, you might try Acorn (there is a free version) and stay with iPhoto for image library management.

Stupid fool that I am, I will undoubtedly upgrade to Aperture 3.

Thanks.

Unless something has gone horribly wrong, I generally stick with the JPEGs. I have the camera set up to store the RAW and the JPEG just in case I do something stupid with the settings!

The bundled SilkyPix does a decent enough job of allowing fiddling with the RAW before saving as JPEG. The UI is pretty horrible, so 'built in' handling of the GH1 RAW files would certainly be a bonus!

I'll take a look at Acorn -- though to me Acorn means BBC Model B and Archimedes! Elite and Chucky Egg FTW!